The Wild Ones | ✔️

By stellarsecrets

Kyle Duncan is an arrogant rebel used to doing whatever the hell he pleases. Until one day his father ships h... More

He's Hot and She's Cold
He's Bewildering and She's Troublesome
He's Wild and She's Wilder
Unexpected Behavior
Raised by Wolves
Too late to apologize
Show me Yours
Better Together
Be Mine, Baby
Stupid is as Stupid does
Have a Heart
Check Yourself
Wreck Yourself
Just give me a Reason
Dark Horse
Family Drama
Break the Rules
Movements of the Heart
Side Story: Strawberry Milk
Distractions and Attractions
The Last Resort
You're my Angel
News for You
Closer to Home
Mean the World
Written in the Stars
He's Hiding and She's Seeking
Protect your Heart
Should I stay, or should I go?
Different
Blast from the Past
The Sun and the Moon
Sharing is Caring
More money, More problems
Plan of Attack
Lionhearted
Dark Places
Here's the Scoop
Making Money Moves
Falling Back to You
Heaven in Hiding
Pillow Talk
Hell is a place on earth with you
Let her go
Light of my Life
Mask Off
Dystopia
We'll be Alright
Amare Potentia Est
Bittersweet: Naomi's Epilogue

One Step Closer

1.7K 91 11
By stellarsecrets

Hello readers! After years and years of Hiatus, I have decided to keep going with this story. Thank you old readers and new readers for your support!

Recap: After all those trials and tribulations, Emily and Kyle share mutual feelings for each other. Too bad, they both have secrets that keep them away from each other. Emily is scared to expose her past and Kyle doesn't want her to find out about his engagement to Davina...

The magnolia and cherry blossoms were in bloom on Tuscany Academy's campus causing the air to smell sweet and fragrant. Because it was Wednesday, there were faculty meetings held in the afternoon which meant early dismissal for the student body. Hence, the school was nearly empty for a spare few. Emily was still in class finishing up her notes. She rubbed her eyes as she took a look at her schedule again. The tiny calendar boxes were packed with her loopy handwriting.

Today, she had to go to her part time job at the convenience store after school. She also had to work on her project for AP US History. Tomorrow, she had to work at the sports club after school and have a meeting with the student council. Friday, she babysat. And of course the gala. Happening in exactly 2 weeks.

Finally.

After months and months of planning, the gala would finally take place. Half of the money made from the school festival was donated to a charity of the students' choice. The rest of the money was used to throw the extraordinarily extravagant event. Last year, they rented out the entire Museum of Modern Art. This year, they chose a event space right by the Hudson River where they got a beautiful view of Downtown Manhattan. Tens of thousands of dollars for just one night, thought Emily drily. However, she did anticipate what the evening held for them. Plus, there was loads and loads of good food being served.

"Hey Emily," said Naomi cheerily as she sauntered into the classroom. "Are you free?"

"I was just about to head out," said Emily as she stretched her arms.

Naomi beamed, "Let's go to 5th Avenue! I still need to get my dress for the gala! Did you get yours yet?"

"I was just going to wear what I wore last year," said Emily as she tucked her notes back into her bag.

Naomi turned into stone. "Last year's dress?"

Emily chuckled, "yes, besides, I can't go today anyways. I have work."

"Work?" Naomi said in aghast. "But you're in high school!"

"High schoolers work too, Naomi," Emily laughed. "I gotta go before I'm late. See ya."

Naomi began to tear up. "Gosh, she's like a character out of a movie."

XX

"Aww, I wish Emily was here, too," sighed Candace. Naomi nodded in agreement as she sipped on her smoothie. They were in Bergdorf Goodman and browsing the dresses casually.
There were already boxes piled up next to them filled with shoes, jewelry, and gowns.

Naomi was still in the cream Gucci dress she had tried on as she sifted through the rows of evening gowns. Candace clasped the delicate strap of her Stuart Weitzman heels. 15 other pair of shoes were strewn around her.

"Isn't that enough? My car can't fit all of those bags, " Complained Kyle.

"A girl has to have her options open, Kyle," Naomi drawled. "Besides, I picked out a couple for Emily, too."

"Oh, I grabbed a few for her as well," said Candace as she began to put some of the dresses away.

"I bet the ones I chose are far better than yours," grinned Kyle before letting out a loud sigh.

Naomi spun around in realization. "Did you ask Emily to the gala yet?"

Kyle shook his head,"I didn't get a chance to yet. So much shit happened and I don't know... isn't it kind of expected that we go together?"

Candace and Naomi shook their heads furiously. "Kyle Duncan, don't be an idiot. Ask her now or forever hold your peace," said Naomi. "And Brent, I hope you asked Candace already?" Naomi raised a brow expectantly.

Brent's face immediately turned sour. Candace smiled weakly and went to tap his back awkwardly.

"I am going with James. He's one of my good friends from the music club," said Candace uncomfortably. "We agreed months ago."

"Whoa, James? He's a cutie," said Naomi deviously as she gauged Brent's stony expression.

"The early bird does get the worm," said Kyle deviously.

"Isn't James a Grammy winner?" Asked Naomi.

"He was nominated for 4 and he won once," said Candace.

Brent's face fell even more.

"That doesn't mean we can all hang out there though," chirped Candace. She said as she patted Brent's back some more. Changing the subject quickly, she asked Naomi who she was going with.

Naomi grinned widely, "One of the boys I met from Rosewood. He's the captain of the swim team."

Candace beamed, "oh that's fantastic Naomi. Cedric right? Doesn't he qualify for the Olympics?"

"That's what I've heard," Naomi giggled.

"Would you like it if I joined the swim team, Candace?" Pouted Brent.

Candace turned cherry red and Brent started laughing. "I'm kidding. Can you help me out with this tie?"

Candace stepped up gingerly and started unraveling what he had done. She deftly tucked it in and slid it up his neck. Brent looked away trying to mask his smile behind coughs.

"Don't they look like a married couple?" Whispered Naomi loudly to Kyle. Kyle nodded enviously, "that should be me and Emily."

"Shut it," muttered Brent.

"I like this color on you," Candace beamed. She straightened the tie. "The blue makes your eyes pop."

Naomi and Kyle cracked up when Brent immediately called for the sales associate. "I'm getting this one," he said.

XX

Emily yawned as she flipped to the next page in her psychology textbook. She was sitting behind the counter at her part time job at the convenience store. Since she worked the evening shift, the store tended to be less busy since most students were back home. Hence, she was using the time to catch up on her reading. They were currently studying Maslow's hierarchy of needs. According to Maslow, there were 5 things that all humans needed - and that some needs take precedence over another. He stacked those 5 into a pyramid. The base of the pyramid was physical needs: food, water, air, sleep. The second part of the pyramid was safety - a house, security, law and order. The the next layer was love and belonging - a community, friendship, love, family. The next layer was self esteem, confidence, and respect from others. The final and top part of the pyramid was self actualization. This was the pinnacle of your need, the point in your life where you have the ability to fulfill your fullest potential - be the best version of yourself.

When examining her own life, Emily wondered how much of the pyramids she had fulfilled. 7 years ago, even the base layer was something she struggled with. Dirt poor and living with a alcoholic father who was addicted to gambling, they had to move from motel to motel. Sometimes, they had to resort to sleeping in a tent on the streets. During that time, they survived off food stamps and the generosity of strangers. 5 years ago, when she become made as a Flaming Dragon family member, she finally had shelter but no security. The law was something she realized could be used and abused. There were loopholes in their justice system that The Flaming Dragons took every advantage of. She faced death and destruction in every moment of her life. Not just from other gangs and crime syndicates but within her own organization. There were one too many times when a member would challenge her - a mere 15 year old - to take over her position and end up losing their lives. 2 years ago, she had met the headmaster. He had provided her with a shelter, with security, and with affection. He had provided her with warmth that she hadn't felt since her mother's passing. Her heart hurt as she remembered the day he left suddenly on his mission. He was in Colombia working on a missionary. He had been gone for the last year. For months her heart had ached and she felt the gnawing pain of loneliness. Now... Emily realized... even without the headmaster here.... she was happy.

She saw a notification pop on her phone. It was a group chat between her, Kyle, Brent, Candace, and Naomi.

Naomi: what do you think about this dress Emily? I thought it would look cute at the ball 😘

Emily's eyes popped. It was a short dress with a whole lot of feathers and beading with a plunging neckline.

Emily: Not unless I want to look like a purple bird.

Naomi: 🙄 it's Valentino

Candace: I thought this one might be pretty!

Emily nodded in appreciation. It was a simple black dress with a pretty silhouette. Suddenly a image came in and Emily shook her head. The entire back was revealed. Unless I want my identity to be revealed to the whole school in one night or spend another $50 on concealer, that one's a no go.

Emily: thanks Candace but the back is too showy for me......

Kyle: lol what about this one? Isn't mine the best?

Emily raised her brow as she opened the photo. She blushed furiously. It was completely sheer dress with floral embroidery covering the chest and hips.

Kyle: you'd look like a GODDESS

Emily:......... No

Kyle: awwwww come on.

Candace: what about this one???? It's more covered up!!

Emily: sure... that one isn't so bad. How much is it?

Candace: $3,000 🤗

Emily: jk

Candace: it's fine Emily!!

Emily: no... just no....

Naomi: if we split it between all 6 of us it's only like $500 each that's not bad

Emily: I'm fine 🙃

Emily put down her phone and went back to her notebook. She smiled at the thought of going to the dance with them. A couple months ago, the school dance was a formal obligation as a student at the academy. Now, she actually found herself genuinely anticipating the night. This year, she had friends to go with... but a date? Emily found herself picturing herself entering the hall with Kyle with their arms linked. She blushed furiously. Nope. It's not as if he said he wanted to she thought ruefully. She gasped as she looked at her notebook. It's been nearly half an hour and she had still only just written her name and the date down on the sheet of paper.

The door to the convenience store opened and in walked James Park. James was a junior at the academy whose mother was the CEO of the entertainment company TurnUp Ent. His father was the famous Hiro Park who was known for producing hit song after hit song for artists like Vianna, Lady LaLa, and boy band Monstar. It was not a surprise that James was incredibly talented as well in the musical arts. Even as a high schooler, he had composed and arranged music for many famous pop artists and has even produced several hits. What was surprising was what a low profile he kept at school. Even now, he wore a cap that covered most of his face. He headed toward the aisle stocked with medicine. How odd.

"Hi James," Emily said. "Need any help with anything?"

James recoiled in surprise before relaxing. "Hi Emily. What're you doing here?"

"I work here," said Emily. "Are you looking for anything specific?"

"Um," he rubbed his neck, "do you have anything for like bruising? Bleeding?"

Emily's eyes widened, "Are you okay?" She scanned his body.

"I-I'm fine, nevermind," he said as he began to move away.

"Here," she grabbed bandaids, Neosporin, and Ibuprofen. Then she went to the frozen food section and grabbed a bag of frozen peas, "and this for the swelling. Make sure to clean the wound before applying anything."

James grinned gratefully, "Thanks."

She nodded, "That'll be $10.75, and I can give you a 10% discount since you're a student."

"Thanks again, Emily," he said as he headed out.

XX

Emily dragged her feet as she walked back to the school. The walk from the convenience store to the dorm was a little less than 20 minutes which was usually no big deal. Today, her legs were killing her. Atleast she was back on the campus now. The school was completely quiet due to the lack of students besides for the occasional chirping from the crickets. A few lamps were left on, but it was the moon that most illuminated the ancient buildings. Emily stretched her arms. The campus was so much more peaceful at this time of night. What to make for dinner? Who was she kidding. The thought of standing around and cooking made her feel even more exhausted. I can eat yogurt or something.

She fumbled with the keycard, took the stairs to the third floor, and was finally back home.

"Welcome back, Emily," grinned Kyle.

She blinked back her surprise. There stood Kyle in an apron with a ladle in his hand. "Go wash up," he said. "Dinner will be ready in two minutes."

"What're you doing Kyle?" Asked Emily bemusedly.

"Making us dinner, silly," he stuck out his tongue mischievously.

"Uh okay," she said awkwardly. "I-uh, do you need help with anything?

"Nope, go get changed," he smiled.

"Right," she went to her bedroom and dropped onto the bed. She pictured him in the apron again and stifled a laugh. Cute.

She changed into comfortable pants and a sweater and came back outside. The table was set up immaculately. In the middle of the table was a bouquet of flowers. There were tea candles decorating the room, and the light was dimmed. "Kyle, candles are a fire hazard in the dorm," she said.

"I won't tell if you won't," he grinned.

She rolled her eyes but smiled.

"Voila, and here's the entree for tonight. I spent the last two hour slow cooking this baby. I made pot roast and mashed potatoes. For our appetizer, I made stuffed mushrooms and for dessert, well, that's a surprise," he winked.

"Wow," said Emily. "Um, thanks." She tucked her hair into a pony tail and grabbed a fork.

He watched her take a forkful of the roast and waited eagerly. It smells good. She slowly chewed on the meat. Yum. It was warm, rich, and flavorful. When was the last time I had meat?

"So... how is it?" If he was a puppy, his tail would've been wagging.

Her eyes glowed, "Kyle, this is so good."

Kyle grinned widely, his dimples popping out. He was glad that she was enjoying the meal. He figured she'd be tired after school and working all night. Heck, he was tired waiting for her for the last three hours. When he opened the fridge, he saw nothing but yogurt and some ketchup. The last thing he wanted was for her to go to bed hungry so he had gone grocery shopping with Butler Lafayette who had helpfully picked out produce and ingredients to meal prep for the rest of the week.

"We also have a guest tonight," said Kyle.

Emily raised a brow, "Who?"

Kyle went to the couch and picked up Bacon. Bacon wiggled her nose as she greeted Emily.

"Aww, Bacon," smiled Emily. "Looking good, there."

"Right?" Said Kyle. "Bacon was missing me so I had asked Butler Lafayette to bring her down earlier."

Emily pet Bacon affectionately. Kyle chuckled as he remembered the first time he met Emily. "You know, Bacon was there the very first day we met," he said.

"I remember," said Emily. "Your hair was blonde then." She ruefully remembered his cold gaze, the piercings, the leather jacket, the smell of cigarettes. It was hard to picture the Kyle in front of her right now as the same guy from then.

Kyle's blue eyes lightened up, "And your hair was long. In those braids," he laughed.

She scowled, "Don't make fun of them. It made me look respectable."

"It made you look like a dweeb," he smirked. She scowled at him.

He chuckled, "And still, I thought you were cute."

Emily rolled her eyes. She reached for his hair. Do you plan on keeping it red forever?"

"Do you want me to?" He asked cheekily.

"I want you to dye it a natural color. What is your actual hair color?" She asked curiously.

He shrugged, "It's boring. Just plain black hair."

"I don't think that's plain," said Emily. "I can't imagine you with black hair though," said Emily.

"My mom was dark haired and so is my dad," said Kyle.

Oh. That was a first. Kyle never talked about his mom. Emily didn't press the matter when she saw his sullen expression.

She tousled his hair. "Red, black, or blonde, you pull it all off. Just don't dye it green or something," she warned.

He laughed, "Now you're giving me ideas." He gently petted Bacon. "Who knew that 3 months later, we'll be eating dinner together like this."

"We've gotten a lot closer, haven't we," mused Emily.

He grinned, "I don't know. I think we could definitely get even closer." He gazed at her suggestively as he reached for her hand.

"Don't test me, we are still on school grounds," said Emily as she flicked him.

"So you'd be down if we were off campus," he smirked. Emily felt her face begin to burn up and took a big gulp of her water.

"If we were off school grounds, I'd whoop your butt," she retorted as she dug into some more mashed potato.

"That doesn't sound so bad," he said before chuckling at her expression. "I could call you mistress," he winked.

"GROSS," said Emily. Kyle laughed heartily at her reaction.

The pot roast was half finished and the mashed potato was wiped out entirely. She couldn't believe that just an hour ago, she had planned on eating yogurt for dinner. She glanced up at him. He was feeding Bacon some carrots. Unreal. Kyle Duncan, who on the first day of school was at a club, was content spending his Thursday night cooking for her. But it was real. Because when his ocean blue eyes flickered up to meet hers, it crinkled and a dimple showed up. She loved it when his dimples showed. Emily blushed and covered her face with her hair.

She was grateful. Ever since Kyle's arrival next door, her nights had been just a tad bit less lonely. For a guy that she once found burdensome, here he was being reliable and sweet. She wondered when it was in their relationship that things have changed this way. She could trace her feelings, but what about Kyle. She still felt a little skeptical. Was Kyle genuinely happy to be with her like this? Kyle Duncan, the heir to a billion dollar company, in her tiny living room. Kyle Duncan... in love with me? Emily shook off the thought. Her heart beat faster. Emily knew Kyle made her happy, but she didn't believe she could make him happy. Not with her past. Not with his future.

"Whatcha thinking about?" Asked Kyle cocking up a brow.

"I'm really full," said Emily.

"Not too full for dessert, I hope," said Kyle. He stood up and brought a bowl out of the fridge. "I made creme brûlée, too."

"Where did you learn how to make all of this?" She asked in awe.

"From the internet," grinned Kyle. "So, I was thinking Emily, regarding the gala."

"What about it?" Asked Emily.

"Would you like to-R-RING RING RING-damn it. Kyle was interrupted by Emily's phone.

"Hello? Hi Mr. Henderson," said Emily. Kyle watched her face fall as she stayed on the phone. "Right, no worries. I'll go immediately. What station is he at? Okay, I'll be there ASAP. Bye."

"What's going on?" Asked Kyle, his brows furrowing in concern.

"Thank you so much for the meal, Kyle. I have to go." She stood up rapidly and her dishes in the sink. She quickly headed over to her closet and pulled out her uniform.

"It's nearly 10 PM on a school night. Where the heck does Mr. Henderson want you to go?" He said in indignation.

Emily sighed. "I need to go to the police station. Sounds like there was gang related violence with some of our students."

Kyle grabbed his coat too.

Emily raised a brow, "and where you going?"

"I'm coming with you," he said matter of factly.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

68.3K 3.1K 45
Fifteen-year-old Kyle Clark just wants to be left alone. No one seems to have gotten the memo. Everyone just wants him to talk about his Mum: his...
223K 6.5K 61
Josephine Pryce will do anything to get out of Lakeville even if it means simply tutoring her arch-nemesis Flynn Cauley. Except when it comes to him...
1K 327 21
Jessica Taylor is about to graduate senior year of high school, struggling with constantly being reminded she use to be overweight, having absentee p...
251K 2.2K 67
"Why can't we be together?" "Because then i'll have to kill you." - Cassie lived with her big sister Ariene, she never really knew her parents. She h...