The Blood Legacy (The Lost He...

By AllisonWhitmore

The Blood Legacy begins a new adventure for Isabella, Seth and the gang when a nosy author moves into the hot... More

The Blood Legacy
The Foxworthy Hotel
A Special Guest
Dinner Date
Training Day
A Little Magic
A Little Help, Please?
Voices
The Time Witch
Away We Go
Crossing Guard
Trust No One
Fairy Tales Can Come True
Jack and Beatrice
Dodge's Diverting Delectables
Worst Day Ever
Morphling Village
The Landry Brothers
The Blood Legacy Law
Schism
Colin
The Forest of Violet
The Night Trial
Joseph Gaut
Bonded

Hey, Seth, It's the 50's!

705 67 2
By AllisonWhitmore

Isabella and Seth stood in the Foxworthy hotel's grand lobby. After everything they'd been through, the time portal had worked. Everything looked the same, yet completely different. The front check in desk with its candlestick phones and attendants wearing the Foxworthy hunter green behind looked like it could have been in their time, but look to the left, there was no Rolf behind the concierge desk or up and there was no projector screen running old movies on the far wall. The carpeting was a lighter shade and the people milling about were dressed like they'd stepped out of an old Hitchcock movie.

Isabella looked down at her clothes. She was in a floral print summer day dress and wearing gloves. She touched the side of her head. Her hair was pinned up at the sides and laid in soft waves over her shoulders. Seth was in a casual charcoal suit that made him look at least twenty-one. "They gave us clothes? How?"

"Just go with it," said Seth, taking her arm as if it was the most natural thing in the world and leading her through the thickening crowd of the lobby.

It was clearly a special day at the Foxworthy Hotel. Glamorous people bustled about, jaws wagging, hands flaring, as they spoke to one another about whatever was happening that day. "We need to find out what date it is?" Isabella whispered to Seth as they walked through the lobby, trying to blend in.

"Renee, darling. Why don't you look elegant!" a loud voice gushed. Isabella looked toward it with a gasp. The woman being complimented was none other than her paternal great-grandmother. Isabella swallowed and her stomach dropped. This couldn't be real.

Renee Foxworthy looked to be in her mid-40s, a regal but conservative beauty. Isabella knew from photos and stories the woman who'd died when Isabella was four had a rebellious streak in younger years and that included fashion choice. It seemed, however, during this era maturity and sophistication had set in. Renee had clearly settled into her persona as Hollywood royalty. A quiet style that was neither 'too much' or 'gauche' in appearance. This left Isabella, the unknown heiress from the future, in awe -- the sophisticated, former silent film star with her now famous children. Without doing anything at all, Renee made the Foxworthy into something Isabella felt beating from the walls as she'd grown up but could never put a finger on. It was beyond looks and glamour. It was – legacy.

A few onlookers also called out to Beatrice, Renee's beautiful daughter. The twenty-something woman's dark hair and green eyes mirrored Isabella's in a way that shook the young diadem to the core. But where Isabella was self-conscience Beatrice appeared sure. Where she was small, Beatrice bloomed. Looking away from her great aunt, Isabella recognized Mitchell, Isabella's grandfather and Catherine's husband, from old pictures. Around this time, the tall cinnamon-haired man would have just returned from the war – Korea to be exact. They watched him stride in with the slightly shorter, chiseled-jawed, fair-haired Leonard – Jack's idolized brother, a star-in-the-making. Beatrice looked ready to swoop upon the man she clearly desired.

"Hey, Iz. It's July 13th. It's the right day," Seth said, holding up a newspaper. "They're gonna have the party to celebrate Beatrice and Leonard's movie –"

"Where did you get that paper from?" she asked, eyeing the headline of the Culver Hills Register, a paper that no longer existed in their time.

Seth shrugged. "A guy had it sticking out of a pocket on the side of his suitcase as he walked by."

"You—you need to make sure no one notices us. If they do, we could...ruin everything. We need to find Serena. See who followed her maybe or what she's up to."

"You wanted to find the date."

"I know, but...all right. Let's just make sure not to talk to anyone related to either of us, which might be hard because those are the people we have to follow to find Serena. But still we have to try. Agreed?"

"Yeah," he breathed out. "So, no Beatrice, Mitchell, Renee, Leonard...and..."

"Oh. My. God." Isabella gulped. Her body fired hot then iced cold. Jack. Leonard's adopted brother stood at the entrance of the lobby – which looked no different than it did in Isabella and Seth's time – turnstiles on either end and two sets of double doors at the center. The lanky dark-haired handsome man walked further in, favoring one leg and stopped at the edge of the concierge desk and watched the interaction between Beatrice and Leonard. His jaw clenched visibly as he watched the loving duo. The sting from the loss of Beatrice to Leonard had clearly not lessened with time. "Why is he here?"

"He's Leonard's brother, remember? Don't freak out, Isabella, he doesn't know you here," Seth took her hand and held it tightly.

Isabella took another gulp and reminded herself to be strong. They had gone back in time on a mission and it didn't include sight-seeing or passing out over reuniting with past foes who technically weren't her enemy, yet. Of course, if he was anything like the Jack in the present, she had to stay on guard to fight. She watched him leering at Beatrice. His eyes turned from black to gray.

"Jack! Over here!" Beatrice cried out, arm already buckled around Leonard's waist. Isabella watched Jack's cold expression soften. He looked so – human in that moment. The tall man walked over to his brother and Beatrice. Isabella clocked the looks Renee and Mitchell sent toward Jack. They were clearly uncomfortable with the interaction.

"Be nice, mother," Isabella heard Beatrice tell Renee. They all chuckled as if it was some sort of running joke. No one seemed to care that Jack had heard the exchange either.

"Jack," Beatrice said, leaning forward to kiss his cheek while still connected to Leonard. "You have a surprise for me before the party, don't you?"

Jack straightened his back and nodded with a proud smile. "I've been working on it for months. Just for this day."

"Such a charmer, you are, Jack," said Leonard. What on earth had he meant by that, Isabella wondered. This wasn't the first time Isabella wondered about what made Jack the way he was. But it was the first time, she'd had compassion for him. Of course, he was a cold-cruel demented freak in her time. She couldn't have much compassion for that version of Jack. But what if she could help him? No, she couldn't do that. She wasn't supposed to interfere. And right, they had a mission. Breaking free of her cloud of thought, she noticed that Beatrice striding toward them.

"Oh no, this can't be happening. I can't talk to her," Isabella panicked.

Seth looked up. "Just act...star-like."

"We can't let her talk to me."

Beatrice continued her approach to Seth and Isabella with sure steps. Isabella's nerves frayed as she struggled over what to do. Why had she homed in on them? They needed to walk away, but, for some reason, she was frozen in place. Seth didn't seem to be helping. Wasn't he supposed to be her guardian? Isabella let out a breath she hadn't realized she'd bottled in her chest as Beatrice passed them as if they were invisible. They watched the woman saunter over to a group of high-end-looking girls with perfect figures. They chatted lively with plastic smiles and phony compliments that would rival Johnna Johnson affected act any day. Thankfully, Beatrice Foxworthy had no interest in dealing with a couple of mysterious nobodies.

"What do we do now?" Seth asked.

"Let's figure out how we can get into that party or if we can spot Serena."

"Will she be here? Or is this a different version of the past?"

"I didn't think to ask."

As they stepped further through the center of the lobby, they spotted two flustered well-dressed girls with suitcases pushing into the hotel. They were somewhat made up like Beatrice and her friends but not at all as put-together and cool. Wait a minute! They were the ladies from the movie. The one Serena had scribbled all in her notes. They weren't members of the Foxworthy family, but she'd seen them many times in Night at Holiday Hall, the movie that was premiering in just a few days according to the newspaper article. She'd remembered finding it odd that it had been released in the summer as a child but had never asked about the piece of trivia further. She loved the movie and that was that. It was probably a good idea that she was talking to them. Maybe they could lead her to Serena. Her heart lurched. They'd be dead soon. So would a lot of people. Isabella knew from the story of the fire only eight people died. Five women in a back room and three others who died of smoke inhalation at the hospital. The biggest thing was that Beatrice had died the very same night. She had to calm herself. She wasn't supposed to know any of this. It was the past, and she wasn't supposed to interfere no matter how tragic. If they did, who knew what the consequences would be.

Blocking what she knew from her mind, Isabella followed the movement of the two familiar women, surprised to see that while one of them checked in, the other one headed right toward her and Seth. The blonde with her hair pinned up in curls she settled in front of them, cheeks flushed, her voice moving a mile a minute. "You two look so beautiful together," she gushed. "What studio are you with? You have to be actors. We're both in the new film? I'd have remembered you if you'd had a role," the girl blabbered to Seth.

Isabella recalled the first time they met the fast talking morphling Mimi. Could this woman be worse? Mimi was at least endearing. This strange woman just seemed determined to talk on forever without really even introducing herself. Finally, her friend seemed to finish with the front desk and joined them.

The other woman nudged her fast-talking friend. "Don't mind Posy, she's just very excited about being part of Beatrice Foxworthy and Leonard Heel's movie debut. They are such a beautiful couple," said the red-head. Isabella felt an acute sense of insincerity wash over her at the words. "So am I. I do think it's odd that they are premiering a holiday movie in the summertime, but the director wants to be different."

"He wants people to talk," Posy supplied.

"They'll release it in Los Angeles and New York this summer, then to the rest of the country in November. It's all brilliant if you ask me," the red-head finished with a smirk. "Well, please, forgive the long-winded explanation," she said smoothly, her hand demurely extended. "I'm Elaine Martin." Isabella tuned into her senses and found warmth quickly replaced bitterness. They needed allies of some kind.

"I'm Seth Logan, er, Warmaker, and this is my date Isabella F...Fortington." Seth shook Elaine's hand. Warmaker? Seth, I think the name you were going for is Wanamaker. And Fortington? Isabella sighed and clipped her mouth shut with a smile.

Seth chuckled in a way in a honey smooth deep way she'd never heard. Isabella suddenly pictured him holding a high-ball at the Brown Derby with a group of girls in fox fur stoles died white to match their shimmering gowns. Gross. "You both look like movie stars already. I'm sure you've got everyone in town eating out of your hands."

Elaine giggled. "Such a charmer. It's an honor to be invited to this exclusive premiere party. We aren't the stars, but the two of us along with thee other girls—"

"Had pivotal roles," said Posy. "We did most of our scenes with Mr. Heel. You know, Leonard Heel? He's a dream. Kind of like you, Mr. Warmaker." Seth cleared his throat, and Isabella shook her head. Again with this? Maybe if Seth wasn't so handsome, which, of course, wasn't the only reason Isabella liked him. She thought he had a good heart. But these women didn't even know him. Not that it mattered. They weren't together like that anyway.

"Yes," Elaine went on in a smoother more practiced voice than her friend, flicking her eyes between Seth and Isabella. "It was lovely of the director to throw it all together. Mr. Lindstrom is a wonderful man."

"Lance Lindstrom, right?" That got her attention. Isabella recalled the name from the articles in Serena's notebook. She also knew he'd directed her great aunt and Leonard in the film. Night at Holiday Hall. She hadn't thought much about it but when she did she wondered why they were having a party for a holiday movie in the summer. Xander would have an explanation.

"Indeed," Posy piped in, "so why are you two here?" Isabella tuned into Posey like she had her friend Elaine. She was a nervous creature. Not at all like Mimi, she realized, who just had a fast-mind and was excited about life. Posy was out to impress, but she wasn't a bad person from what Isabella could tell. "I'm certain it has to be for the party. An elegant pair like yourselves couldn't be here for anything else

Isabella knew the party was the place to be. It had to be where Serena had gone. It had been where she'd discovered what had gotten her killed. She felt it in her gut. Technically, she and Seth weren't guests. They had to get Posy and Elaine to help them.

"Why don't you let Seth help you with your bags? I'm certain you ladies are dying to check in. and I love meeting with stars of the movie we invested in," Isabella smiled.

The two starlets gasped. Investors was indeed the magic word. Money talked in Hollywood, and the Foxworthy in the 1950s was more Hollywood than the Foxworthy of her era.

"Oh my, God, I can't believe we bumped into money people," Posy gushed and skipped.

"What do you work in?" Elaine seemed a bit hesitant to take them at their word.

"We privately invest in jewelry for our clients. Take a look at the lovely necklace Isabella is wearing," Seth jumped in. "Nothing like it this side of the globe." He gestured toward the shining object around Isabella's neck.

Elaine leaned in while Isabella tried not to get frazzled. "Oh my, you're right! Well Mr. Logan-Warmaker I'm certain your money has been well spent," she shook hands with him.

Isabella bristled a bit at being ignored. But reminded herself it was just a sign of the times. "Anyway, you two hurry up and check in so we can walk you to your rooms. Might I add you have lovely facial structure Posy, maybe you can get in some ads on the side. I deal with the marketing aspect of the business. I just love working great magic from behind a desk!"

Seth promptly took their bags. "And you, Elaine, look perfect for the magazine. I'm sure can arrange for a meeting or two to see if it might be something you'd be interested in."

Both starlets gushed then dashed off to get signed in.

"Seth! Don't you recognize them? They are two of the girls whose names were in Serena's notes."

Seth's eyes grew wide. "Are you sure it's them? A lot of people have the same names."

"They're in the movie with Beatrice and Leonard."

"Duh. Sorry. I'm focusing on trying to play the part. You're gonna have to keep track of the intrigue."

"Fine. We better come up with a name for this business. Where did you learn to talk like that?" Isabella asked not expecting Seth to back her up so well. She even felt kind of bad.

"Ye have little faith," Seth teased. "I used to watch a lot of classic movies with my dad. Guess they paid off."

Isabella's jaw dropped. "You acted like black and white movies were the plague last year."

"I didn't say I liked them. I just said I watched them."

Isabella rolled her eyes as Seth went on, "Anyway...how about Emerald Oddities or Warmaker Jewelers?" he asked.

"First, we are investors, second 'oddities' is a terrible name and third no one wants to name their business 'war' unless they're going into battle. We are Ottoman's Investments," Isabella decided. It sounded both historic and prestigious. Surely, the ladies would buy that name.

"So, happy to potentially welcome you into the Warmaker's Investment family," Seth said before Isabella could stop him upon the return of the ladies. "Can you believe my dear lady wanted me to change it to Ottoman's Investment. Sounds snobbish if you ask me." He seemed to be loving taking over the conversation. The ladies seemed to love it, too. Isabella stamped down any jealousy. This was all part of the game, right?

Posy giggled. "That's atrocious! What did you plan to do? Change to selling furniture?"

Isabella frowned. Seth was clearly better at this than she was.

"I don't see why anyone would want to change the name of a legacy company." Elaine gave Isabella the side eye. "What number Warmaker are you anyway Seth?" She leaned in.

"Oh um..."

"The eleventh," Isabella stepped in, "he likes to think of himself as the first. You know men."

"Oh, yes," Posy laughed, "now let's hurry upstairs. It'll be hours before the party. We want have some fun around here. After all, it is the Foxworthy hotel!"

"Thank you for helping with our bags, Seth." Elaine led the way.

Fun? Isabella wondered what kind of fun these two had in mind? How bad could it be? It was the 1950s after all.

dn't re]�0�ҞN

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

43.8K 2.7K 45
[COMPLETED NOVEL] One night, that's all it takes for everything to change. One insomnia. One stroll in the dark night. One murder. Two hands covered...
3.1K 518 37
**THE PRINCESS SERIES is part of the GOLDEN UNIVERSE, and considered a sequel to THE GOLDEN QUEEN/A BRAZEN LOVE** ♦YOU MUST HAVE READ THE GOLDEN UNIV...
2.8K 192 46
Available on Kindle and Paperback now! https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07D1CZKSY After nineteen years as a prisoner to the Stonerow curse, fate owes Lad...
7.2K 66 8
Exactly what the title says 🌈Fluff🌈 🥵Smut🥵 Don't be rude. Dats bout it