Preordained #ProjectNigeria

By Ad_zy1

When Maduka meets Nwanyieze, he is certain they are meant to be. He knows she is a woman with secrets, but he... More

ATTENTION! READ THIS FIRST!
1- Queen Of The Night
2- Maduka
3- The Next Day
4- The Party
5- It's Maduka to You
6- Memories
7- Good Morning
8- My Baby
9- Shall We, Then?
10- Quilox
11- Pride Goeth Before A Fall
12- Midnight Date
13- Scars
14- Babysitting 101
15- Distractions
16- Redemption Song
17- Imma Care For You
18- Trapped
19- Are You Asking Me Out On A Date?
20- Good, Smart Girl.
21- You'll Let Me Do What I Like
22- Mammy Wata
23- Some Wounds Never Heal
24- Oops!
25- Patience
26- I Never Asked For Anything
27- You Go Lose Control
28- Preordained
29- Rebounds
30- Olfactory Stimulation
31- Discovery
32- Finessed Or Not?
33- Queen
34- Getting There
35- Doomed
36- I Love You Dangerously
37- Now Or Never
38- Surprise!
39- I Know She Knows.
40- Still Beautiful
41- Halfway
42- A Bold Step
43- Maduka?
44- Circle
45- The Lost Boy
46- The Message
47- Not Mine
48- It Is Written
49- Keeping Secrets
50- A Call
51- Palm Wine
52-No Justice
53- What Saheed Said
55- Welcome Back!
56- Ultimatum
57- The Meeting
58- Coincidence
59- The Party II
60- Mission Accomplished?
61- Teaser
62- It's Complicated
63- Another Angle
64- Green Light
65- You Remind Me
66- Happiness
67- A Memoir
68- Opportunities
69- New Experiences
70- Complete
Important Notice.
Publishing

54- Back To Reality

5.5K 681 201
By Ad_zy1

Nwanyieze's POV~

" Thunder fire your papa dia!"

I stifle my laughter at the insult my taxi driver hurls at an offending Jeep driver. The Jeep driver, too unbothered to reply even though I think he deserves the insult, simply laughs and overtakes my cab. But he winks at me and zooms off, leaving my cab driver to mutter more insults after him.

"Iyalaya anybody."

This time I can't hold it in. I burst into a fit of laughter, shaking my head.

Welcome back to Lagos.

I take in the sights on Airport Road: temporarily abandoned tankers by the sides, hotels littering the landscape, the potholes dotting the road. The air here is heavier, spiced with dust and fumes from the cars, unlike in Maduka's village where the air was crisp and clean.

"Because say you carry Jeep, pesin no go see road drive kabu-kabu again. Baskat."

Body dey pain this one, I think, deciding not to laugh again.

Mama Uju and Adanna are not around, but she has left a key with one of our neighbours who owns a shop on our street, and I retrieve it. On getting into our flat, I instantly realise how much I have missed the place. Adanna's toys are stacked neatly in one corner of the living room, and I can see that there are new additions already.

"Just one week I was away, and she has updated her collection of toys," I say to myself.

I hope they will enjoy the gifts I brought from the village: roasted ukwa and akara japu.

My room is just as I have left it, but I know that Mama Uju has cleaned up the dust in preparation for my return. After a shower, I dial Maduka's number but get no reply. Hunger sets in, but I ignore it and go to sleep instead.

My phone wakes me up a few hours later. Mama Uju and Adanna are not back yet. It is a landline number I am not familiar with.

"Hello?"

"Welcome back to Lagos, Queen."

"Saheed. I bet you've paid one of my neighbours to spy on me."

"Smart girl."

"What is it now?"

"When am I seeing you?"

I scoff. He chuckles. How about never?

"You don't sit well with rejection, do you?"

"You know me so well. How is it that we aren't together yet?"

"The gods didn't put that in the works."

"And they also didn't put Maduka in the works."

"If I didn't dislike you so much, we would have been good friends."

"Me, friends with you? I was aiming for something more."

Before he can say more to piss me off, I tell him, "This call has come to an end, Saheed. Have a nice day."

"You, me, tomorrow night."

"Shebi that's if you find me?"

"Come on, Queen. I'm am your friend of sorts, even though you might not know it yet."

"Really?" I ask. The nerve of this human being!

"I'm your friend because I always tell you the truth. You and Maduka, not working. You might be enjoying it now, but deep down, you know it won't last."

His words strike a chord in me. He is telling me the truth.

"Look, I just want to hang out with you. In a public place, just to relax. I enjoy your sarcastic remarks, even though you don't like me."

"You're right, I don't like you. And you told Maduka I was-"

"Leaving him for me? A half-truth." Saheed chuckles in amusement.

I wonder how he can find this amusing. I also wonder how I am even having this conversation with him.

"You won't rest until you ruin everything, will you?"

"Darling, everything was ruined from the start, when you decided to come to my party for reasons we both know."

Maybe I should go out with him and have this conversation?

Over what? 'Saheed, I am no longer a runs girl because I have fallen in love with a man who doesn't fully know my past and doesn't need to know yet, and there's nothing you can do about it.'

Of course, all he needs to do is make a phone call, and Maduka will tell me, and whatever I do will give me away.

And Maduka will hate me. It's not just the thought of losing him, it's also the thought of how his love for me can turn into something so vile, so negatively intense, I'll probably never know it's depths.

"I'll be seeing you tomorrow night, Queen."

It's like he knows what I'm thinking of, because he sounds so smug, so pleased with himself.

"And wear something nice."

Wasn't he just almost pleading to hang out with me a while ago? Now he's telling me what to wear kwa?

The next night, at 7pm, I come out of my yard to see Saheed seated on his Harley Davidson, waiting for me. The street lights have been fixed, so I can see what he's wearing: a red shirt under a black leather jacket, black denims, and black Nike trainers.

"Aren't you a bit under-dressed for a bike ride?" I ask him, surprised. He expects me to ride with him on that? Is he crazy? Where are the helmets? The knee pads? The only safety gear I can see are gloves. I'm thankful I've worn a pair of blue jeans with my cold shoulder long-sleeved top and white sneakers. These were the nicest things I could wear because of Saheed; I didn't want to over do it and make him think I'm putting in efforts for him. After all, it's not like I'm about to enjoy myself.

Saheed smiles at me, showing his white teeth and dimples. "Well, aren't you a bit under-dressed for a date?"

I frown at him. "This is not a date, Saheed. We both know that."

"Can't a man dream?"

"Why a power bike? You should have just given me the location and I would find it myself."

"Since you claim not to like me that much, I figured the closest contact would happen on this bike. Because you will have to hold on to me."

"Where's the safety gear?"

"Right here." He points to himself.

I shake my head. "You could get killed without them. It's risky."

"Are you supposed to be telling me about risks?"

I can't show him how his ability to remind me of my situation affects me. I square my shoulders and move towards the bike. He produces another leather jacket and two helmets I hadn't noticed.

What a scam.

Saheed laughs. "No seat belts, so you'll have to hold tight to me."

He helps me wear the helmet, checks that the visor and straps are alright, and raises me up to sit on the bike even when I protest.

"Allow me to be the gentleman I actually am," I hear him say.

I pull up the visor. "Where are we going to, Saheed?"

"Relax, I won't take you somewhere and devour you."

"Then why aren't you telling me?"

"It's a surprise."

At my expression, he grins. "You have trust issues, don't you?"

"So long as you're involved."

"Ouch. I'm about to disappoint you."

He puts on his own helmet. When he sits on the bike, Saheed turns on the engine. It roars to life, making me jump. He turns to me, raises his visor, and says, "Hold tight, honey," before pulling down both our visors.

The bike ride is scary at first, but becomes invigorating after the first few minutes. The purr of the engine, the vibrations of the seats underneath me, the wind flying past me, the blur of lights as we speed along Ikorodu road. It feels powerful, sitting on this machine that can lead one to injury or death at the slightest mistake. There is something beautiful about the night, when the air is cool and darkness conceals things. There is also something dangerous about it.

Beauty and danger.

Before I know it, I'm relaxing against Saheed's back, watching lights blur past me and temporarily forgetting that I'm supposed to not like him.

Saheed's POV~

She is fascinated.

I can tell by the way Queen relaxes against me. I know about the beauty she is seeing right now, as I have taken countless rides on the roads of Lagos at night.

The thought pleases me immensely. If only the ride could last longer, so she'd hold onto me for longer.

Saheed, what's going on?

Yes, what exactly is going on? I don't enjoy making her miserable. But this is the only way to catch her attention. I know Maduka will leave her the moment he finds out about her. Can't she see, though? Can't she see that even with her past, I'm still after her? I'm sure that after the truth is revealed, she'll see that I still want her. Maduka is infatuated with the innocent part of her, but I know the true her. Queen, child of the night, a paradox I would like to figure out.

Hell, the things she makes me feel.

I accidentally move my bike too quickly over a speed bump and it bounces. Her arms tighten around my torso, and I grin. Maybe I should move into potholes, too.

The purr of the engine underneath me, her comfortable weight against my back, and the breeze whizzing past me have a soothing effect on me and I regret having to end the ride when I park my bike on the parking lot of Sailor's Lounge, Lekki.

Queen disengages her arms from me and tries to pull off her helmet. I signal for her to wait, take off mine, and help her take off hers. Too quickly, she tries to hop off and it seems like her legs almost give way underneath her, but I catch her.

"They're a bit numb," she says with a laugh as she tries to pull free from my arms.

I consider holding her there against her wishes, but I know she won't like that and so I release her. Queen gives me a quizzical look and I retaliate with a shrug. We are ushered by the friendly bouncers to the upper deck, where the sea breeze caresses us and the water glimmers under the moon light.

Sailor's Lounge, located on Admiralty road, in Lekki Phase 1, is a bar set up on water. It offers a beautiful view of the sea and serves really delicious meals prepared by experts. There is good music from a live band most times and the atmosphere is always relaxing. I have brought many ladies to this place, setting the stage for a night of seduction.

And I have always succeeded.

With this one, it will take a lot of work. But I am optimistic.

"This is beautiful," she says when we are led to our table at the edge of the deck, right next to open space and water.

I muse at how our dates involve bodies of water; the first time it was at the Oriental Hotel, overlooking the Atlantic ocean.

"Not as beautiful as you, though."

She smiles and I wonder how she can manage one, even when it's obvious she didn't come for this on her own free will, even when I blackmailed her into this. I know the smile isn't for me but for the serenity of the place, which makes her temporarily forget her complicated love life.

Saheed, why the sudden 'deepness'?

Once seated, we are handed menus.

"Would you like safe sex on the beach?"

Her eyes widen and she almost drops the menu. I burst into laughter and a few heads turn in our direction.

"What did you just say?"

"Safe sex on the beach. You'll like it."

"Saheed, are you-"

"Relax, it's a drink." I point it out for her on the menu. "Grapefruit juice, cranberry juice, peach nectar, and a cherry."

"Oh."

But sex on the beach sounds like a great idea.

A waiter approaches and Queen engages him in a conversation, curious about the selection of drinks with funny names. I, on the other hand, withdraw into my mind to where sex on the beach with her is a huge possibility.

All she has to do, is tell Maduka the truth. He leaves her, I step in, and take over.

You might be wondering, what is so great about her that I'm ready to go the extra mile to get her? I've told you, no one has ever said no to me. And she's wholesome, despite her background. The way she carries herself, the way she's so comfortable in her skin, it fascinates me. She's wilful, I like that. She doesn't agree with everything I say. I want that fire. The women I've been with would gladly jump if I told them to, but Queen would most likely ask, "For what?"

Sex with her would be great. Explosive. And spoiling her would be such a pleasure because I can tell she's not used to such luxuries.If I hadn't thrown her into the pool that night, I might have had a shot with her.

She laughs at something the waiter says, and I envy the young man. He seems to be really interested in their discussion, because he completely forgets me.

This irks me.

"Safe sex, then?" I question, interrupting their discussion.

The waiter appears to be confused for a moment before Queen tells him, "With an extra cherry, please."

He catches on, gives a small laugh, and asks for my order. I request for fish and chips, she requests for small chops. When the waiter leaves, I remind her that she came here with me.

"And does that stop me from talking to other people?" She questions, her brows raised.

"Do you ever not feel like challenging me?" As much as I love being in control, it is pleasant to have her challenge me.

"You may have me in a tight spot, Saheed, but I will not be treated like a plaything."

I lean forward on my elbows and look directly into her eyes. "Oh, really now?"

She opens her mouth to say something, but closes it.

That's right, baby. Talk nau.

Instead, she turns and looks back, sensing the waiter coming with our drinks. When he places them on our table, Queen asks him a question about the measurements for 'safe sex on the beach', and I can tell that she is doing it just to spite me, and he is thinking not about the drink. When he opens his mouth to answer, I cut him off.

"We'll be expecting our food. And make it snappy."

The young man, surprised at my tone of voice, nods and walks off.

"You enjoy teasing me," I tell her. But I can't help but smile.

"Well, I didn't arrange for this. I was minding my business at home and you called me. Because you hold something over my head."

"Think about it this way: if one day you hear that Maduka has a really colourful criminal record-- and you hear it not from him, but from someone else-- how would that make you feel?"

"I totally get it, Saheed. But whatever you think you stand to gain from this, you're not getting it."

"Let's see how that works out, hmm?"

Is it cruel of me to decide that if I can't have her, then I'd rather ruin the chances for Maduka?

"Jide knows."

She almost chokes on her drink. "You told Jide?"

"Jide is my paddy."

She silently continues with her drink.

"Tell Maduka. Hearing it from me or his best friend will complicate things further. Especially as I have that photo of you that your friend Temi sent to me. That was when I chose you."

Internally, I commend her for her strength. Her eyes narrow at me. She stands up slowly, gives me a long look, and walks away. I hastily place a wad of one thousand Naira notes on the table, not bothering to check if it is too much for a meal we didn't eat-- which I'm sure it is-- and walk out after her. I meet her outside, walking past my bike.

"And where are you going to?"

"Anywhere you aren't!"

"How will you go home?"

She shoves three one thousand Naira notes in my face. "I have vex money!"

I snatch them away. "Now you don't."

"Hey!" She yells when I tear her money into pieces. "Saheed, you bastard-" Queen begins hitting her fists on me. Her blows are not hard enough to hurt, but it's the fury behind them, the physical nature of her attack, that affects me.

It turns me on.

She's hitting me and calling me names and here I am, having a very serious hard on.

Do you know what you do to me, Queen? Do You even want to know?

"How do you almost bring out the best and worst in me at the same time?" I hiss, easily holding her by the wrists and releasing her when she stops struggling.

"Oh, I'm pleased to know that!" She replies sarcastically. "Saheed, don't--!"

Too late. I have lost control. Before we both know it I crush her to my body and kiss her. I have the advantage of taking her by surprise.

Chai. Am I not mad? This wasn't what I planned. Damn you, Queen! You've ruined it now!

I had been in control. All I had wanted was some relaxation, but her temper has pushed me and brought out my twisted side.

But for the love of all things good, I want her in my bed. Or on this bike. Or the ground sef.

Our separation is rather violent, with me releasing her abruptly the same moment she uses so much force to try and free herself. In that same space of time, she raises her hand and slaps me. The arousal, the sharp sting of her hand striking against my face, the surprise and anger that she even dared...

I notice that I am a bit shaky from all this sexual tension, something that rarely ever happens.

"I'm sorry," I murmur, stepping back and turning away, hands running over my cropped hair. "It wasn't meant to happen. I swear it."

I'm losing control.

I take in a couple of deep breaths to steady myself. That was wrong, I thought I was getting better at this?

And why hasn't she said anything?

I turn and she's gone. In the semi-darkness, I catch a glimpse of her figure, running towards the road.

"Queen!"

Somehow, she manages to get into a taxi before I get there. I can hear her yell, "Driver, just go!" in a shrill voice. Before the car moves, I step in front of it, caught in the headlights.

"Lock the doors, lock the doors!" She pushes down the door locks and leans on one of the doors. She sounds almost hysterical.

"Driver, wait. Na me dey pay, she no get money."

"I get money for house, driver! No mind am!"

The driver is an elderly man who seems to be more interested in his money, but winds up all the glasses except for the front passenger window as a safety measure. I quickly move over to the open window.

"Queen, I swear it wasn't supposed to happen like this. I'm sorry. You have this effect on me, I can't explain it. I lost control."

"Stay away from me. I don't care what you do anymore, just don't come near me," she says in a quiet voice.

Is it me or can I hear the tears in her voice? I wonder. I can't see her face clearly. Frustration gnaws at my insides.

I pull out my wallet and hand the driver ten crisp one thousand Naira notes. "Please, deliver her home safely." For extra measure, I collect his phone number.

Is this guilt? I think while I sit alone in Sailor's Lounge, halfheartedly eating my chips. What I did was wrong. I shouldn't have lost my mind like that.

"Are you having a rough night?"

I look up from my food to see a tall, slender woman wearing a big red wig over a short black dress. Her make up is professionally done, her perfume hits my nostrils and I inhale it deeply.

Smells like something Beyoncé would wear.

"What do you think?" I reply, giving her a slow smile.

Let me forget this disaster for a while.

A/N: Thank you for being such wonderful readers. I hope you enjoyed this chapter. I'm sure some of you are wondering what's going on with Saheed. I've asked him, but have received no reply. Imagine! P.S. don't hesitate to point out corrections to whatever part of this story you think needs it. I might get my facts wrong, as I don't know Lagos that much (spent only a year in it) and sometimes rely on Google. Landlords of Lagos, come to my aid when you can!

Thanks again.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

80.4K 17.4K 50
"Didn't you just ask me to be your girlfriend?" I asked. He flashed a smile and replied, "Yes, I did!" "Then, what are you doing with that paper and...
178K 41.8K 70
"If I tell you I am in love with you, how will you react? " he leaned close to me. Hmm... I could faint, jump in excitement, cry, run away, hug him...
54.5K 13.9K 37
"Do you remember your highschool in Nigeria?" I asked. "Nigeria? No, I studied abroad!" "No! You were in Nigeria.Do you remember me?" "You? Am I supp...
184K 7.6K 49
A Fierce African Heiress and A Savvy American Businessman. A blissful yet magical night in Greece, one got away and the other develops an uncontroll...