Darkness Forms

By LanceDickson

In a time when the forces of darkness rule the world right under the noses of society, a new age approaches... More

Darkness Forms

Chapter 2: The Meeting

53 0 0
By LanceDickson

2. The Meeting

Cadence McKenna, the Holy Mother, and all around goody two shoes. She was currently at the high school known as Bethlehem High. It was late, nearly eight, but she had stayed after to study. “Bye.” Cadence said, to one of her friends, leaving her the last one in the library. Cadence flipped through her notebook, placing her hair behind her ear. She was about five foot three. Had blonde hair, and naturally looked innocent. This was the holy mother, with no innate ability. Just destined, in all her glory, to birth the next savior.

A noise was heard by Cadence, causing her to knock her books on the floor. “Damn it!” Cadence said, reaching down to pick her books up. When she went to reach for them, a voice was heard above her. “Need some assistance?” Spoken by an unknown figure, who startled Cadence. Looking up, Cadence noticed the fairly attractive man. But little did she know, she was talking to a mass murderer. Alcide bent down, picking her books up for her and placing them down on the counter. While doing so, he glanced over at her books. “Math, huh? Not really my greatest subject.” Alcide said, staring intently at her.

“You go to this school?” Cadence mumbled out, still unnerved by the man. Alcide’s face grew into a smile, and then a small chuckle. This for anybody should have signaled run. “No, you see. I’ve far outgrown school. And as much as I’d like to sit here and chit chat? I’m afraid I’m on a deadline.” Alcide spoke, moving closer to her. Cadence began backing up, now becoming visibly afraid. “Did Carla put you up to this?” Cadence blurted out nervously. “No, I don’t know any Carla. But I do know you. Holy Mother. You see, I’ve come a very long way. And it pains me to find out that you’re not even that tall. I’m supposed to kill you. Prevent you from... Ah, I talk too much.”

Alcide’s face would shift into its demonic visage, and he’d stop dead in his tracks. “I suggest you run, because I like it like that.” Alcide said, before Cadence ran off into the opposite direction, outside the doors. Alcide slowly followed after her, knowing he could subdue her at any time. “Help!” Cadence yelled out through the hallway, hoping to find someone still there who could assist her. “You’re all alone, McKenna.” Alcide spoke out in a very disturbing voice. Cadence turned into a classroom, shutting the door behind her. She walked away from the door and backed up until she was grasped. “Shh. Don’t shout, I’m here to help ya out, lass.” The man revealed himself to be Shaun Masters.

‘Take it easy there. I’ve had my share of vampers or two. And this Allyseeds ain’t no different.” Shaun said, cocking his gun back. Shaun stepped outside of the classroom, making his way down the hall. “Come out, come out wherever you are.” Shaun slowly moved through the hallway. But before you knew it, Alcide utilized that vampire speed. He reappeared behind Shaun, grabbing him by the shoulders and tossing him off to the side. Cadence watched as Shaun was thrown back past the classroom, and then decided it was time to go.

Cadence left the classroom, only to be met by Alcide, who grabbed her by the arms. “Scream for me!” Alcide growled out, before being punched in the past and sent flying across the room into some lockers. “What the hell? Nobody told me she was telekinetic.” Alcide barked out, slowly pushing himself up to a stand. But as it would turn out, it wasn’t McKenna at all. Instead, a man stood there with long curly hair. He stood about six feet, and looked like a tan white man. He favored the likeness of Oded Fehr, and had markings tattooed on his face.

“You shall not lay a finger on the Holy Mother. I swear it upon the one and almighty god.” The man shrouded in mystery brandished a sword, and wore a black robe. “What is this? Who are you?” Alcide questioned the man. “I am Nasir. I am the Protector. Sworn to keep the Holy Mother safe.” Alcide nodded, and would then move forward, pushing Nasir into the wall. “Okay, and I guess you’re also willing to lay your life on the line for her? Because I’m down with that.” Alcide spoke, grabbing Nasir, and sinking his teeth into his neck. But as he went to drain Nasir of his blood, he felt a tingling sensation. “Well, that’s not right.” Alcide spoke, letting Nasir go. Smoke had risen from his back, and his skin penetrated.

Standing directly behind him was Shaun Masters, holding his revolver up. “Point one to the living. I don’t reckon you want to taste two?” Alcide snapped, and moved toward Shaun. And Shaun rightfully reacted with firing the gun again. But little did he know Alcide had assistance. Appearing on the side, Scar, the muscle, had appeared. He reached out, grabbing the gun from Shaun and tossing him aside and into the wall. “Would you look at that? It appears I have my own cavalry too!” Alcide spoke, moving toward Nasir. “Now, where was I, gramps? Oh, that’s right.” Before he could finish speaking, Nasir took the sword and attempted to stab Alcide with it.

But Alcide reacted quickly, and placed two hands on the blade, delaying his being punctured. “I don’t think so.” Alcide spoke, before knocking the blade out of Nasir’s hand, and lifting him up by the throat. “You’re pretty strong for a human, what’s the secret? Martha Stewart cooking?” Nasir stared intently without smiling. “I do not understand the modernism in your joke. But I have been endowed by the fracture of the power the Miracle Child will have.” Nasir broke free from his submission, and managed to super shove Alcide into the wall.

Alcide looked at his watch, and would then stand up. “Scar, end this.” Alcide barked out. Scar would then grab Shaun and bit into his neck, draining his blood. “Ah, a little help ova’ere! I’m pretty much donating to the hospital, and I’m no organ donor.” Shaun cried out. Scar’s eyes opened up, and he felt as if he had been split open. Turned out he was. Cadence had sent the sword Alcide knocked away, straight into his back. It was only inches away from Shaun. “Cutting it a little close, are we?” Shaun spoke, removing himself from Scar. He went into his pocket, revealing brass knuckles made with silver.

“Now, it’s my turn.” Shaun threw a fist, hitting Scar and dropping him to the floor. “Woo wee! That right there left a mark, you alright now?!” Shaun yelled out in excitement. He would then hit him a couple of more times, knocking him to the floor, before kicking him in the face. “Don’t mess with the Masters, boy. I’d make Clint Eastwood look like a pacifist.”

Cadence, after her brief moment of heroism, found herself backed into corner. Alcide looked at his watch for a second time, and super sped to Scar, picking him up off the floor. “Alright. You have the upper hand, and you’re obviously well equipped to kill us. But listen to me. You have a choice.” Alcide said, smiling deviously. “Oh yeah, and what choices would those be? Killing you, or killing you?” Shaun spoke out, jokingly before turning to Nasir whose face stayed straight. “You gave the same option twice, your logic is flawed.” Nasir spoke, which unnerved Shaun. “I know, I meant… well. You know what, what choices do we have, vamper?”

“Well, you could stay here and fight me to the death, yours. Or, you could try and make it back home, McKenna. You see, while you were all so busy fighting me. I’ve been stalling. Just about now, Riot, Meredith, and Alexander are all probably introducing themselves to her parents.” Alcide spoke out with a smile.

Cadence looked visibly worried, turning toward her two saviors. “I don’t know what’s going on, but I need to get home. We can worry about them later; I need to make sure my people are safe.” Cadence spoke, hoping they’d understand. Shaun looked at Nasir, and Nasir looked at Shaun. “No. They must die.” Said Nasir, who stepped to attack the vampires. “Yo! The lady said she needs to check on her family. Now you can stay here and fight. But if she dies there, then you pretty much failed as her protector, bud.” Shaun spoke out, assisting her around the vampires and toward the exit.

“Another time, fiend.” Nasir spoke, moving around the vampires to follow Cadence and Shaun. Alcide mocked Nasir, and lifted Scar up onto his shoulders, before utilizing his super speed and leaving the scene. The hallway was left a mess, and this would be something to talk about the next day at school. Fortunately, it was a Friday.

Cadence hadn’t lived far from the school, only a few blocks away. And she ran down the street, with Shaun only a few feet behind her. “Slow down there, miss. God, I have to stop smoking. I’m seventeen, and I feel like my cousin Bartlett, acting out the Spanish inquisition.” Shaun spoke, trying to keep up. Nasir stopped next to him, and patted him on the head. “You have done well, you shall be rewarded. But, if you try and place your reproductive organs near the Holy Mother? I shall remove it with my bare hands.” Nasir spoke out. Shaun was concerned for his well being. Nasir moved on to follow Cadence.

Cadence made it home, and noticed the door was already open. She pressed the door open, moving inside smelling food. “Mom, Dad?” Cadence continued to make her way into the house. “Noah, Henry?” Nobody replied, neither brother. Cadence made a head turn, and saw her parents at the dinner table, eyes open. She sighed in relief. “Oh, my god. Thank god. I thought something had happened to you all. Her eldest brother, Henry was also at the table. She moved to hug him from behind, and his head fell off his body. A thud was heard, as it dropped to the floor.

“Henry …?” She placed a hand over her mouth, and would soon begin to cry. She had finally focused on the parents and noticed their eyes were in fact open. But their stomachs were entirely ripped open and their insides torn out all over the floor. On the wall behind them, was words written with blood. And it read ‘RIOT WUZ HERE’. Cadence burst out into tears, dropping to the floor on her knees. Shaun and Nasir appeared in the house just in time to notice what had transpired.

“Well, I’ll be a dog’s ass on a firecracker. This is just plain ol wrong.” Shaun spoke, removing his hat to place it over his heart in respect. “This is no place for her, she shouldn’t see this.” Nasir stepped up and placed a hand on Cadence. “Death is a part of life. This shall help you grow in the oncoming apocalypse. Your life is the only life that matters.” Nasir spoke out, before Cadence threw his arm away. “What?! My life is the only life that matters? Screw you! Go to hell. Those were my parents. And now they’re dead, and for what? I don’t even know!” Cadence yelled out, finally reaching her breaking point.

“I cannot go to hell; I am a man of god. Your logic is flawed.” Nasir spoke, before folding his arms. “This is because you’re the Holy Mother. You alone shall birth our next savior.  One who will rid the world of demons. Like the ones who slaughtered your family. I suggest you stop your weakness, and grow up. Worse will happen to you in the oncoming days, and if this is the camel that breaks your straw? Then by my calculations, you will be dead within a week.” Nasir spoke, not really caring of her feelings, just following his mission.

“You mean those stories my parents used to tell me, they were real? And I’m actually supposed to be some type of Virgin Mary?” Cadence asked. “No. Your logic is flawed. Your name is Cadence McKenna. You cannot be Virgin Mary, unless you legally have your name changed.” Nasir spoke out in all seriousness. Shaun stepped up and would place a hand on Cadence’s shoulder. “What our boy is trying to say is yes. You’re basically the modern day version, albeit better looking, if I do say so myself.” Shaun spoke.

“But don’t worry there, lass. You won’t be dying on my watch. And I’m pretty sure, emotions aside. Whatever thing that this guy here serves? I’m sure he’s on our side in the long haul. Plus, I have a friend who’s like a witch. You’re pretty much protected from here on out. I just suggest you not live here anymore. Once they have an invitation, it’s pretty much impossible to get them uninvited.” Shaun spoke, folding his arms.

“I just can’t. Right now, I just can’t. I have to take this all in. I have to think. What am I supposed to do? My brother, my brother isn’t here. Noah, he’s spending the night at his friends, Greg. Okay, I’ll call him. And uh, we can stay at a hotel?” Nasir stepped up once again, with a straight face. “No. I highly suggest you do not get your brother involved. And I suggest you live with me, in my apartment. You will be protected, I can assure you.” Nasir spoke, leaving no room for negotiations.

“I’m sorry, but I don’t know you like that. And I can’t just stay with anyone.” Cadence spoke, not too sure about the whole ordeal. “She can stay with me. We go to the same school, and you can even stop by to check up on her. And believe me when I say this. A vampire getting into my house is as impossible as trying to lick lint off the cloud.” Shaun spoke out, reassuring everyone.

“Is this okay with you? I obtain visitation rights at any given moment at any given time. And you shall be trained to defend yourself from the vampires by me. Until you are capable. And you shall not die, or I will fail as protector.” Nasir spoke out. Cadence thought it over, and would then eventually give in. “Fine, I’ll agree to this. But I have to tell my brother. At least some form of the truth. It’s the only way he can help me out with arrangements for their funerals. They at least deserve that much. And in return, I’ll do what I’m supposed to do. There’s not lot you’re giving me much option. And between you and what I’ve seen today? I’ll choose the lesser of two evils.” Cadence retorted, agreeing.

“Then it is settled. Your first line of defense is a crack pot cowboy with a wicked smile. A man who knows nothing about the human emotion. Let alone compassion. A witch, and yourself. Well, we have ourselves a great squad. Giddy up, let’s go to work.” Shaun spoke out, enthusiastically. Their little “Scooby gang” was officially formed. The cavalry. Ones who would fight for justice, and put an end to the Rapture. Hell, at least they made it chapter three.

Continue Reading