Soul of the Cerberus [NEW]

By AndieKlein

Twenty-three-year-old Korina Varga, a young art major had it all figured out. She would paint and sell her ar... More

Prologue
Chapter 1- Homebound
Chapter 2 - The silver lining
Chapter 3 - It takes three to tango
Chapter 4 - Devil's advocate
Chapter 5 - Shadows in the dark
Chapter 6 - Blank slate
Chapter 7 - Love hurts
Chapter 8 - Sucker punched
Chapter 9 - Rat in the house
Chapter 10 - Locking horns
Chapter 11 - All guns blazing
Chapter 11-All guns blazing (Part 2)
Chapter 13 - Keep on smiling
Chapter 14 - Heart on fire
Chapter 15 - First mission
Chapter 16 - The climb
Chapter 17 - Not good enough
Chapter 18 - Dance
Chapter 19 - Unusual alliance
Chapter 20 - Pour it up
Chapter 20 - Pour it up (2 part)
Chapter 21 - Chaos
Chapter 22 - Chaos (Part 2)
Chapter 23 - Chaos (Part 3)
Chapter 24 - Chaos (Part 4)
Chapter 25 - Don't let me go
Chapter 26 - Last farewell

Chapter 12 - Anything but you

41 3 0
By AndieKlein

"That was awesome!" Sanna watched me admiringly as I sat down next to her in Universal studies. Traxx went by, petting my shoulders "For a second I thought you were toast!" He laughed.

"Good job!" Ria ran behind him, putting her hand on me she kissed me on the cheek. "What a turnover!"

I just blankly stared at the people congratulating me, still not accepting that this was their way of assessing how good a warrior has become. I never was a violent person back at home, hell, I wouldn't even hurt a fly, so this affected me badly.

My body went automatically rigid as I saw Yannik enter the room. He went to the front, choosing a seat next to Landon. He opened his laptop‒the guy was probably even sleeping with the damn thing.

"You ok?" Sanna followed my grim look. "Come on Korina, leave him be, don't provoke him any further."

"How am I provoking him?" I stared at her in disbelief.

"You are drilling a hole in the back his head." She said, amused. "He doesn't like when people are staring at him."

"I am just curious! Besides, this is a free country." I shrugged, annoyed.

"He is very sensitive about that." Sanna clarified.

"What do you mean? Why would he be bothered by someone watching him?" I said with a perplexed expression on my face.

"Well, I only know what I've heard. Elliot mentioned that all his life he was accompanied by strange looks, people constantly stared at him. It was either because of his unworthy markings or disgust at how different he looked from the other races when he came on Earth. He put everything in his job, ignoring the others." She sadly shrugged.

"That is just ignorant and mean!" I spat.

"Then stop starring!" She hissed, scolding me.

"What about other Aerukhans? Are they also treated this badly?" I said, my face red with shame.

"Not really, but then again most of them are elite, not a servant caste. Their influence and riches can buy anything. Besides other races need them, so they must behave properly. We have one other Aerukhan here, but she went to visit her family. She is one of the elite and very kind, you will adore her." Sanna smiled. "A woman version of Elliot." She laughed.

"Oh!" She suddenly clapped enthusiastically "I almost forgot! I am hosting a little gathering on Friday evening. It will be a small circle of my co-workers, but I would like for you and Ria to be there."

"Are you sure?" I said, looking at Ria, who leaned back in her chair and grimaced. "We know absolutely nothing about computers. We wouldn't be much of a company."

"Oh come on! We won't be talking exclusively about one theme!"

Ria and I exchanged looks, knowing exactly what would happen.

"Fine! But only on one condition," Ria said "There will be tequila waiting for me, I have to be drunk for this." She exhaled, looking at the ceiling.

"Are you suggesting that we are boring?" Sanna said, annoyed.

"Precisely." Ria told her, beaming. Traxx's laugh boomed through the room as he saw Sanna's horror-struck face. "I truly pity you two." He nodded at me and Ria "One could pay me and I wouldn't be attending that thing!"

"My guests would be horrified if I would invite someone like you, you brute!" She threw back at him.

"Honey I am the best party thrower there is!" He said wide-eyed.

"So? Are you coming?" Sanna asked me, ignoring Traxx.

"Ok, but I will be horrifically out of place there." I said, looking at her.

"Like you would dare to leave me alone!" Ria hissed at me "Anyways we are going to have a blast together." She grinned with mischief.

*

"Hell, you are not wearing this!" Ria said horrified "That thing is like a nun outfit."

"It's a gathering, not some wild party!" I warned her.

"Oh, just let loose! Let your hair down and have some fun!" She enthusiastically hopped around me. I was positive Sanna would kill her. She was wearing short bright red skirt and killer black pumps. It was beyond me how she could walk in those, and she intended to drink tequila on top of that.

"Ehm, I must warn you I won't be the one carrying you back to your apartment." I stabbed a finger at her.

"We will be carrying each other." She laughed, pulling the clothes out of my closet. "Perfect!" She placed a beautiful black lace dress on the bed. It was actually a good choice, considering it was elegant and not trashy.

She added a chestnut high heels with black straps on them "What do you think?" She asked me, clearly content with her choice.

"It is decided." I grinned.

"We look awesome girl! The nerds will gawk at us!" She giggled loudly and shook her hips.

"Just don't be disappointed if it will be boring." I shook my head, smiling. I let my wavy long dark hair loose, just like Ria advised me.

"Not with Rob there! I am sure he would make it more interesting." She smirked at me and tapped on Sanna's scanner.

The minute later smiling Sanna opened the door but her face fell as she saw Ria "What the hell? This isn't a nightclub!" She whispered, nervously looking over her shoulder.

"Oh, relax!" Ria pushed through, confidently stepping in.

"Is it too much?" I said, glancing down at myself, worried.

"No, you are fine. But I will kill her!" She said through the clenched teeth.

The apartment was almost full when I entered. I stepped on my toes, trying to spot Ria's red dress. I noticed she was standing with Rob, laughing and when she detected me, she gestured me to join them.

"Hey." I nodded at Rob.

"Finally some good company!" He grinned. "How about we make this party a bit more interesting?"

"Hell yes!" Ria beamed, pulling my hand as we started moving through the crowd. I wasn't so sure about their plan, but I followed them anyway.

Rob stopped at the big audio system integrated into the wall, typing at the display. Without warning a loud, booming music vibrated through the room. Some heads turned, giving us a dirty look, others actually enjoyed it.

"No way!" Sanna appeared out of nowhere, vigorously typing at the screen, as she tried to turn the volume down.

"Oh come on!" Rob whined, putting his hands in the air.

"Not today!" She said with a harsh voice. "Now beat it!"

We moved our sorry asses to the kitchen. Rob and Ria found a bottle of tequila behind the counter, popping the lid. Ria plonked three glasses on the table, hopping on it.

"This is not such a good idea for me! Tequila and I don't match." I said, covering my glass.

"Oh come on! Relax!" Rob pressed.

"No, truly I am fine." I assured him, feeling a bit annoyed.

"More for us than!" Rob poured the liquid into their glasses.

"Cheers!" He grinned at Ria, as they clinked their glasses together. They drank the whole glass in one gulp, leaving me to gawk at them.

"Our tolerance is higher than human's Korina." Ria smiled. "That's how we party!" She wiggled her eyebrows, gulping down another dose of tequila.

"Awesome." I turned, intending to find Sanna. I pushed through the bodies and suddenly ducked as someone almost spilled his beer on me. Jumping to the side I collided with a hard chest, almost taking us both down. The person grabbed my waist, firmly steading me on the ground.

"Are you already drunk?" He accused me, his face irritated. I turned to look into Yannik's eyes, sighing deeply as I begged God for patience. "Well if you consider a glass of water an alcoholic beverage, then yes, I am tanked up." I took a step away from him, stretching my neck to find Sanna. "I had to move to avoid having spilled beer all over my dress." I gave up my search looking back at him.

"Why are you even here? This should be a quiet private gathering." He scowled at me, his beautiful eyes narrowing.

"I apologize if my presence disturbs you." I said sarcastically "I was invited." I truly thought he wouldn't show up tonight, or hoped that such things were beneath him.

I turned to leave, but then I abruptly spun around to look at him "Anyways." I stepped closer to him, taunting him "I thought I was your mission, so I should be present, don't you think?" Our eyes locked, and I felt an overwhelming need to ogle his full lips. Instead, I forced myself to glare into his eyes.

His jaw clenched tightly "Hardly. I don't imagine you would know anything about our systems."

Idiot. I had a sudden urge to bear my teeth and growl at him like an animal.

"You don't even know me." I gritted my teeth so hard, my jaw hurt.

"I know your type." He continued to glower at me.

"Excuse me? Enlighten me please, this should be good." I crossed my arms over my chest in a protective manner.

"Selfish, spoiled child, used to having everything, even if your parents didn't have enough money to support themselves. A child who steps on everyone, insults and destroys." He straightened himself.

I stared, shocked at what he thought of me. "You couldn't be more wrong." I lost it then, stepping so close we almost touched. "And if I truly was your mission, you would know me by now, since you obviously have all the information. If you think I would act hurtfully towards my friends and family, then you should put your nose away from the screen once in a while and actually get to know the person before you insult them." I turned on my heels and walked away from his stunned face. My whole body trembled with rage. Arrogant, self-centered bastard!

"We are leaving!" I commanded intoxicated Ria, who could barely walk on her own.

"Oh come on!" She said, hiccupping loudly. "But I am having so much fun! Don't be such a spoilsport!" She slurred, her pupils dilating.

"I am not leaving you like this!" I said, throwing her over my shoulder.

"I think I am going to throw up." I heard her behind my back.

"Don't you dare!" I ran to my apartment at blinding speed, pushing her head in the toilet at the last second.

"So much for a higher tolerance." I smirked, holding up her hair. As she finished, her legs gave way, and I lifted her up, carrying her to my bedroom. After bringing her a glass of water I quietly shut the door, making my bed downstairs, on the sofa. But I stared at the ceiling for a long time. I couldn't fall asleep as I replayed the events from this evening in my mind. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Awaking The Sun By Tay

Science Fiction

5.4K 1.4K 11
Kaelynn Barker had noticed over the past year, Haling Cove had taken a turn for the worst. More and more people had lost their way, turning to vices...
Superior By Sam and Shy

Science Fiction

2.7K 121 21
In a world where only those born to the best are given the best, and the poor lie with the dogs, 18 year old Aisa Farrow comes from a wealthy family...
3K 378 52
What if you were suddenly told that everything you'd ever known about yourself was a lie? What if you also found out your best friend was living in t...
572 61 25
Kaley Langstrom is your typical 15 year old girl. She lives in her ordinary house in her ordinary neighborhood, she goes to her ordinary high school...