Quirkyalone

By AkdongSister

A seventeen-year-old girl Naomi Damaris Benoni (Suzu Hirose) has a brain tumor and wants to see her father ag... More

I N T R O
P R O L O G U E
O N E
T W O
T H R E E
F O U R
S I X
S E V E N

F I V E

110 8 2
By AkdongSister

FIVE

"After I collapsed?" I asked, feeling guilty.

Keilah nodded. "He left as soon as we told him that his brother paid for his medical expenses." then she looked at me again. "But his older brother keep on contacting us about him, and when we told him that he had been discharged himself. His brother ended up arguing with me because he said he did not request a discharge planning evaluation for his brother. Well, he wasn't the guardian, how could he say that?"

I chuckled to see the way she speak. It seems like she's the real Keilah Cranmer, not the nurse who supposed to be a nice worker. I love to see this another side of her.

But about what she have said. I didn't know that he has a brother, well, we're not close. But still his brother should be his guardian, not Jared.

"He has a brother?" I asked.

Keilah nodded. So, I asked again. "Then he was supposed to be the guardian, right?"

"Well, that friend of him was on his emergency dial number." She replied. "I don't think Gideon and his brother are in good terms. Also, he wanted to file a lawsuit against us so I'm in trouble." She wrinkled her nose, trying to ease her worries.

"I heard from the kids that you two fought." She suddenly said.

"I guess so." I just said, my hands reached for the Bible on my table.

"Gideon had been donating his money for the pediatric patients here for such a long time, I think he's donating one thousand dollars per month. And he's only using his name as Mr. Lucas so we don't know his name at all." Keilah said. I never thought he would be so rich. One thousand a month is a not a joke. She added, "And in surprise when he was rushed here, Dr. Hudson found out that he was ill that make us feel bad. Gideon was helping others but then he was also sick. He's a good person inside, but outside...kind of rude?" she chuckled.

"What's his sickness then?" I tried not to sound worried.

"It's kind of rare for his age." She stared at me before continuing, "It's a lung cancer."

I was out of word.

Yes, I hate that Gideon. But, I should forgive him. Bible says that if I forgive other people when they sin against me, God will also forgive me. But if I don't, God will not forgive my sins.

After all, Gideon didn't do anything wrong. He has a point, though. It wasn't a kiss and it was all for the kid's sake. I'm just being immature.

The door opened, I don't need to look at it to know who comes in. By hearing the little voices, I could tell they are the pediatric kids. Samuel approached me with a wheelchair. He was crying so I immediately wiped his tears. Aww, this boy really warms my heart.

"Naomi...I thought you won't wake up anymore." He said between his sobs.

I shushed him and sit up, though it was really hard. The two other kids are just staring at me.

"Thank you, Naomi." Paul suddenly beamed. "It was the best wedding ever!" he shouted with thumbs up. I smiled but I sighed deep inside.

"Come here." I motioned to him to come closer. He immediately run toward me so I pulled him into a hug. "No one can beat that, right?" I hold his shoulders and pushed him slightly to look at the kid's face.

He nodded. "I know you didn't like it, but I really appreciate that you came even though it is against your will. That would be the best gift I could get this Christmas."

"I'm sorry." I mouthed.

Still, Hannah was silent. I'm not used to her being this quiet.

"Hannah..." I called her, she looked at me. "What's wrong?"

She shook her head. Samuel stopped his sobs and looked at the little girl. Paul turned back to also look at Hannah.

"Hannah, let's go? Your mom are probably waiting for you." Keilah said and hold the little girl's hand. They leave the room quietly.

"Is there something wrong?" I asked the two boys.

Paul raised his head to look at me and gave me a small smile. "She was just overthinking about my surgery."

"Are you going to the surgery this time?" I asked excitedly.

He nodded. "There is a brain-dead patient on the fourth floor."

I smiled. His parents are usually busy to find heart donors for their son, especially his dad. God is really good. He gives blessing to the ones deserving.

***

After having a lunch on the cafeteria, I headed to the pediatric wardroom to see the kids since these places are both in the same floor. The wardroom was too colorful, there's a cartoon characters on the walls that will suit for the children, the curtain's design is SpongeBob, and every blanket has a different cartoon characters. Also, every bed has a different stuff toys to play by the kids. This is something everyone should see.

"Are you excited, little Apostle?" the doctor asked Paul, who's sitting on his bed, blanket covers his legs.

Paul looked at the two kids in front of him; Samuel and Hannah. "I'm nervous."

"Hey kids." I called them as natural as I could be. I want to sound cheerful.

They all looked at me, everyone smiled.

"Naomi, why are you here?" the doctor asked me with a wink. If my memory serves me right, he was the pediatric doctor that known for being flirt. I don't want to believe about his rumors and judge him, but his every action says the rumor is true.

"I'm here for our little Apostle." I copied his nickname for the kid.

"Oh..." he nodded with a smirk. "I thought you're here for me, lady."

Hannah crossed her arm and gave him a death glare. "Doc, can't you stop flirting with every women? Instead of looking into every parts of the girls, why don't you look for the every parts you should know to heal us?"

The doctor just hissed, his pride might hurt, HAHA.

Hannah run toward me to hold my hand. She was smiling when she says, "I did a great job, right? Will Gideon give me a present then?"

I smiled at her while raising one of my eyebrow in confusion. "Why would he give you a present?"

"I keep his bride from being harmed like what—"

"—Naomi, are you really here from me?" Paul cut her off, then Samuel pulled Hannah from me. I sense something weird with these kids but I wiped out my curiosity away.

I went closer to Paul, not bothering myself to look at the flirt doctor. "I have a gift for you."

Paul's eyes shined as I gave him my handmade bracelet, it has a quote that says, "Do not fear, God will help you."

"This is so beautiful," then he lifted his head to look at me. "Naomi, what if you will die tomorrow, what wish would you want to receive?" he suddenly asked me.

Everything became silence. He was waiting for me to answer so I just said, "I want to meet my father before I die."

I saw a bright smile on his face, like he was satisfied to hear my answer.

***

The complete and happy family in our room catches my eyes, they were laughing with each other. It's been an hour ago since I went to the pediatric wardroom but still I couldn't erase the thought of being with my biological father.

"Do you miss your dad?" Mr. Smollet asked me, I'm sitting on his bedside chair. Between our conversations, a happy family caught my attention.

"Hmm...I miss him though I don't remember him."

Mr. Smollet coughed. "Go and find him."

I looked at him. "H-How can—"

"I could see through your eyes that you want to meet your dad even if it takes life and death." He sighed then looked at the Stenburg family. "Your dad, surely wants to see you too."

I don't remember anything about my father. But as soon as I've found out that he's living in Northwest Territory, I tried to escape from my mom to find him. I'm just ten years old that time. Without any clue, I asked some taxi driver if they could bring me to the Northwest Territory, but he deceived me saying he could bring me there. He brought me to Tennessee instead. I even paid him without even knowing that I've been fooled. But to think of it, should I do it? Should I do it again even though I might lost my way again?

"Yes, you should." Mr. Smollet suddenly said. Oh my, I say it loud... "Here." Mr. Smollet handed me an envelope.

"What is this, Mr. Smollet?" I asked while looking at the envelope in my hands.

"Grandpa's gift to his granddaughter."

I lifted my head and smiled at him. "I didn't asked for it."

"Yeah, but you've done so many things for me."

Giving him a small smile, I realized that his looks got brighter from the first time I've seen him. Did I really give him a little hope?

I opened the envelope. And my eyes got wider as I saw two-thousand dollars. Oh my goodness this is not just any money!

"Mr. Smollet, this is too much."

He blocked my hands when I was giving it back. He looked at me and nodded. "I may die really soon. So, that money from my son will be useless."
Mr. Smollet's son was sending him money twice a month but he never been happy. Well, he said he was happy too since his son could be thoughtful for him but he wants his son's presence.

"But...this money." I shook my head. "I can't take it."

"Are you going to Canada, right? Did you know how much does ticket cost?"

"No."

He smiled at me. "Well, it cost more than one-thousand dollars so that money is just a little."

***

Now, I'm facing the huge mirror in the toilet. Considering pros and cons, I've already decided. Actually, I've been thinking about for more than two hours. I'm confused and scared.

I already my patient clothes, now I had a pair of grey wool blend slim socks, tent dress that hangs loose from shoulder below the hips but doesn't have a waistline, and knee high boots. And of course I had my favorite grey cardigan that I always wear inside or outside the hospital.

I smiled. I missed this look of mine. I fixed my eyeglasses and made my hair into my usual tight bun. I smiled again. "Welcome back, Damaris."

No one will recognize me in this way, right? So I can escape easily in this hospital.

And before I could leave the ward room, I left a letter on my bed for my mom. I apologized to her that I need to leave her to find my father and I quote, "Mom, I want to meet him before I die. You know that's my only wish from the beginning, right?"

I may not be the best daughter, but I want to be a daughter who could let their parents happy. I know, for somehow, Mom still deeply in love with him. At least, I want to be a daughter who could bring them together. What if I died? Mom will be left with Rachel. And what if Rachel ended up with Michael? Michael lives in Europe so they will probably live in Europe and Mom will be left here in South America. In order for not to be alone, I want her to meet dad and reconcile. Just to be friends at least.

I also bid goodbyes to Mr. Smollet and to the Stenburg family. They all gave me an encouraging reminders.

Confidently, I'm walking into the main exit believing no one will recognize me. Until someone called me. She was the assigned nurse to Hannah, I guess. I waved my hand and gave her an awkward smile. She looked at me, from head to toe and suppressed a mirth.

"Are you going to be discharged?" she asked me, staring at my bag.

"No, no! This is...for my friend." I lied.

She just nodded and left soon after that. I sighed in relieve.

I continue my steps, I'm getting nearer at the door! Oh my, thank you, God.

"Naomi?" Keilah looked at me, trying to figure out if I was really Naomi. "W-Why are you wearing like that?"

I paused for a seconds. "'Cause this is... my style."

"No. I mean, why are you in dressy outfit?"

I bit my lip. "I had to meet someone here and... I should wear clothes that won't make me like a patient. Yeah, like that."

"Oh really?" Keilah nodded in satisfaction. "Just make sure you are not planning to escape." then she winked at me before leaving.

I sighed and was about to move when, "Ms. Benoni."

Gosh, I regret for being so friendly!

I halted, and slowly turned back. "Hey D-Dr. Hudson..."

I mean, Hey to the end of the world.

Published Date: January 18, 2018

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

46.8K 1K 10
You are an 18 year old who just got out of high school and is suddenly getting married to a stranger. What will happen when his crazy ex and your ex...
790K 31.4K 35
Before, it was always Taehyung wanting Jungkook's attention, but when he found out about Jungkook having a relationship with his Jimin hyung everythi...
219 2 31
17 year old Kazumi having a life where everything is shame, hopelessness, anger and guilt. Until a guy who she met will became her biggest change, bu...
150K 2.8K 32
Choi Billie, an 18 Year old girl that gets pregnant with her step dad. Little did she know her step dad was falling for her. She think he just care f...