Fate of Dragons

By nikkinbird

Dragons and their riders protect Arethia's borders and keep peace within the land, along with the mages who w... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four - Part I
Chapter Four - Part II
Chapter Five
Chapter Six - Part I
Chapter Six - Part II
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fourteen, Part II
Chapter Fifteen - Part I
Chapter Fifteen - Part II
Chapter Sixteen, Part I
Chapter Sixteen, Part II
Chapter Seventeen, Part I
Chapter Seventeen, Part II
Chapter Eighteen Part I
Chapter Eighteen Part II
Chapter Nineteen Part I
Chapter Nineteen Part II
Chapter Twenty Part I
Chapter Twenty, Part II
Chapter Twenty One, Part I
Chapter Twenty One, Part II
Chapter Twenty-Two, Part I
Chapter Twenty-Two, Part II
Chapter Twenty-Three, Part I
Chapter Twenty-Three, Part II
Chapter Twenty-Four, Part I
Chapter Twenty-Four, Part II
Chapter Twenty-Five, Part I
Chapter Twenty-Five, Part II
Chapter Twenty-Six, Part I
Chapter Twenty-Six, Part II
Chapter Twenty-Seven, Part I
Chapter Twenty-Seven, Part II
Chapter Twenty-Eight, Part I
Chapter Twenty-Eight, Part II
Chapter Twenty-Nine, Part I
Chapter Twenty-Nine, Part II
Chapter Thirty, Part I
Chapter Thirty, Part II
Chapter Thirty-One, Part II
Chapter Thrity-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three, Part I
Chapter Thirty-Three, Part II
Chapter Thirty-Four, Part I
Chapter Thirty-Four Part II
Epilogue

Chapter Thirty-One, Part I

44 0 0
By nikkinbird

While the riders embarked on their separate journeys to install the dormant dragon eggs in protected spots throughout Arethia, Derol worked with Amina on his plans to bring Astrid's family, and many more, to Yennar Lei. They sat in the cove around a small fire in the hearth that night and talked about their plan, which they could act on once the last egg was safely hidden.

"And you're sure the Onami will be willing to take in so many?" Derol asked for what must have been the hundredth time. He worried that any Arethians who escaped the hostile Karume would find themselves unwelcome in the Onami's camp as well.

Amina smiled her warm, comforting smile and placed a hand on Derol's arm.

"Please," she said, "you mustn't worry about that so much. Anyone fleeing poor conditions for a better life is always welcome among the Onami."

"But what if so many come that there isn't room or food enough for them all to live there?"

Amina smiled again. "I wish I had such optimism about how many we might be able to save," she said. Her eyes were locked to the fire and she sighed a little. "But this door will make things easier. I wish I had known of one when I was helping Senemi to leave Areth."

Derol joined her in another sigh as he thought back to his flight from Areth as the Karume locked down their grip on the city. He wondered if trading caravans, of the Onami or of others, were still allowed to cross the borders. He doubted the Karume allowed it, at least not without tight control and thorough inspections.

They sat quietly for awhile, staring into the fire and sipping their mugs of Onami tea, which Derol had become quite fond of. Its flavor seemed linked to security and safety, the cozy time around the fire at night when camp had been set and travelers could rest after a long day on the move. It tasted like a pause, a chance to breathe. The fire crackled and spit embers onto the dusty stone floor before them. Derol stamped one out with the toe of his boot.

"I do miss my shop sometimes," Amina said eventually. She had picked up her knitting and her hands flickered, making the needles dance in and out of the fabric that grew between them. "There was a reason I went Senemi and settled down in the city."

Derol chuckled. "And here I was just thinking about how I'd learned to like being on the road."

"We all have a bit of the traveler and the settler in us, I think," Amina said. "Some of us lean more to one way of life than the other, and some of us can get used to anything." She lifted her knitting and peered at it, then seemed to pick back with her needles, scrutinizing the stitches. "I grew up the traveler, but it's good to have a home. I miss the one I made for myself." The mistake fixed, the needles began to fly in her fingers again.

For awhile, Derol just watched her hands in the firelight, his mind racing over all of the things yet to be done before they could smuggle people out of Enval.

First they had to talk to the families, let them decide and plan. Then, they would have to get those who chose to come out of the town unnoticed. And they couldn't take a lot of people at once. It had to be a trickle, so the Karume wouldn't suspect.

One thing Derol knew for certain: Astrid's family had to be first. He had promised the girl all along that they would return to help her family. As well as she seemed to be taking all of the waiting, he knew she was anxious to see her mother again. With any luck, tomorrow night they would bring her family through the door to the Onami camp in Yennar Lei.

The firelight began to die and Amina folded her knitting in her lap. Derol blinked and straightened, coming out of his trance.

Amina settled herself on her blankets to one side of the small space inside the cove, and Derol lay down on his won bed, softened by a pile of leaves and pine needles, next to where Astrid already slept, curled up next to the small dragon, Gypsy. Like the other dragons, she had been made to stay behind while the riders hid the eggs. Both Astrid and Gypsy had been convinced to stay hidden in the cove on the grounds that they would be caring for the other.

In the morning, Derol and Astrid trailed behind Amina on her way through the forest to the cave of doors. They padded silently on the path down to the stream in the valley in the middle of the forest. Gypsy followed, too, bounding along through the underbrush beside them, or from the trees, if she felt like it. The dragon would pop down onto the path before them from time to time, startling them from their silent march and earning giggles from Astrid, and stern looks from Derol and Amina.

Riders were still returning from their missions when Amina arrived to meet Emric in the cave. Many were scattered about the cave in various stages of rest.

Derol spotted Malía along with a handful of others pacing up and down before the doors. Not all of the riders had yet returned.

With a squeal and a bound, Gypsy broke away from their company and toward a hunched figure—Eriya. The small dragon covered her rider with ecstatic dragon-style kisses and nuzzles. She squirmed and wriggled in the excitement to see her rider had returned safely. Eriya fended off her dragon's affections with a wan smile and her arms raised half-heartedly.

"It's fine. I'm fine silly dragon," Eriya said out loud, presumably in response to Gypsy's words, which only she could hear. She looked up as Derol, Amina, and Astrid approached.

"It was harder than I thought it would be," she said before they could ask how her egg-hiding mission had gone. "The outpost was crawling with Karume!" She sniffed. "And they seem to have converted a good number of people since the takeover. My friends from— well, nevermind. I find it hard to believe that all of them have gone over willingly."

"They must protect themselves," Amina said. "Just as all of us would have had to, if we'd remained in Arethia and lacked the ability to fight."

Eriya nodded slightly at this, but her frown remained. Derol could sympathize. After seeing how his own farm hands benefited from serving the Karume, he too felt bitterness at their betrayal. He thought to try to convey some of this sentiment to Eriya, but before he could form the words, Emric had appeared in their midst.

"Are you ready?" he asked Amina.

"As prepared as can be expected," she said.

"Good," said Emric, and beckoned for her to follow him.

Derol and Astrid tagged along after bidding goodbye to Eriya, who left the caves with Gypsy to find breakfast at their riders' camp. Emric led them to a blank wall on one side of the cave. It was next to a row of the riders' doors, which were marked by symbols carved into the stone above the flat place where the door would appear. Emric waved a hand toward the blank, flat space on the wall.

"Good?" he asked.

"As good as any of the other spaces," Amina said. "As long as the door leads to the Onami in Yennar Lei." She knelt on the cave floor before a blanket spread out with an array of stones and gems on its surface. Emric knelt beside her.

Amina picked up a corner of the blanket and inspected it between her thumb and fingers.

"Senemi, eh?" she said with a grin toward Emric. He smiled.

"You noticed."

Amina's fingers traced along the patterns in the cloth. "Its magic will help us cast the door," she commented.

Emric nodded, giving her a measuring look. "Onami in Yennar Lei deny they use magic in their handwork," he said softly. "If they use it, the laws exempting them from registration at the temples should not apply."

Amina wagged a finger with a knowing smile. "And yet you said this was a Senemi cloth. If a Senemi has committed to settle down and commit to life in a particular country or city, they abide by the laws of their home."

"Even a Senemi who weaves bound magic into their cloth in Arethia, where bound magic was outlawed, before the Karume came to power?"

Amina dismissed this with a chuff and a wave of her hand. "The free mages of Arethia wouldn't even recognize this as magic, just as they refuse to acknowledge any Senemi or Onami as mages."

Emric tilted his head and gave a small "ah," before turning back to the stones he had lain out on the blanket before the cavern wall. "Then let us begin."

Derol shifted his weight from side to side as he watched their exchange, worried despite their smiles that some disagreement over the magic used would prevent them from creating the door. Instead, they seemed to have developed a rapport over their discussion of the realities and laws of magic in their respective countries.

Seeing that work on the door commenced, Derol turned to find that Astrid had left his side. She had joined Malía in pacing the floor before the doors, waiting for them to open and the riders to spill through. The girl watched intently as another door shimmered and an exhausted rider fell through, panting heavily.

Malía rushed forward and cradled the rider. "Were you seen?"

The woman shook her head. "It was close," she gasped. "But no one ever knew. My hiding place was good." A grin spread on her lips as her breathing calmed, and she allowed Malía to pass her on to a pair of less exhausted riders who were ready to take her away and care for her.

Derol touched Astrid's shoulder to get her attention. She turned and nodded before Derol could ask if she was ready for their own mission.

"Let's go," she said, her eyes shining and her tone determined.

Together, they left the cave and struck out into the forest, to return to where they had first met, the forests just outside the small town of Enval.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19 1 4
The Land of Fel, a lush, beautiful, magical land filled with magical creatures of all shapes and sizes. Among these creatures are dragons. Dragons ca...
1.1K 110 37
"Believe it or not, I'm a witch." Aza Sterlings will never understand what it's like to use a wand, cast spells or even attend a wicked school for Wi...
7.8K 535 21
*Book 3 of Reuniting The Council Series* Maya once was a slave to rogues, all her life in fact. But one day that all changed. The day that Crystal sh...
6.2M 399K 66
When a wounded dragon falls from the sky, Claire Evans runs into a cornfield to rescue it. This isn't just any dragon, he's a shifter, one of six roy...