We All Need Heroes

By skybornworks

Hey there! Here you'll find a collection of mixed stories from my debut book 'We All Need Heroes', which cele... More

THE TRADE OF A LIFETIME
MAKING ENEMIES IS GOOD
MILLION DOLLAR HOMEPAGE
RUSSIAN SPACE PEN
OASIS' NEW RECORD
BOLD SPONSOR MOVE
EYE OF THE BEHOLDER
PET ROCK
DON'T WIN AWARDS
GREAT MISTAKES
ARIMUS
BUTTON-STORE DISTRICT
THE KNOWLEDGE
SERENDIPITY
WHERE THE ACTION IS
THE MEANING OF KODAK
DISNEYLAND CLEANERS
BEST JOB IN THE WORLD
SANTA MAIL
WINNER AND LOSER
GOOD NEWS ONLY
WHOPPER SACRIFICE
THE ROCKY STORY
KHAN ACADEMY
REVOLUTION OF KNOWLEDGE
AMMO WITH FLAVOR
ICON OF FAILURE
CROWDFUNDING
ARTIST STOCK PAYMENT
LORENZO'S OIL
A WALK AROUND BRITAIN
SQUARE MELONS
THE POWER OF NAMES
FAMOUS YET ANONYMOUS
COLONEL SANDERS
COUCHSURFING
SWIMMING FOR NATURE
STOP AND LISTEN
GAMING MARATHONS
THE GAP SAVIOR
SILLY TOY, GREAT VALUE
AULD SOD GIFTS
EMPTY BOXES
SIGHT THROUGH SOUND
SWAN VESTA
REAL LIFE SUPERHEROES
FOUND SONGS
ROVIO AND NASA STORY
THE CABIN OF BON IVER
UNLEASHING THE IDEAVIRUS
FOR HUMANS ONLY
CHOCOLATE WEBSITE

TOOTHPASTE TUBE

7.6K 71 4
By skybornworks

Chapter: Simple Solutions

Back in the 1950s a man approached one of the large toothpaste manufacturers and said that he had an innovation which would cost them almost nothing to implement, but would yield an immediate 40 percent increase in their business. He offered to sell them the exclusive rights to the idea for $100,000. This was a huge sum at the time, but given the high volume of toothpaste sales, it would be recouped rapidly. However, the executives of the company were greedy and would not spend such money if it could be avoided. They thanked the man and said they would get back to him.
    Clearly interested in the man’s innovation, the toothpaste manufacturer held a big meeting with the company’s marketing and technical staff. They were tasked with proposing ideas for increasing business by 40 percent for little cost. Two weeks later, no useful ideas had emerged. So, they called back the man and said he had got a deal. After the legal niceties were completed and the money handed over, he gave them a brown envelope containing a small slip of paper. On this slip were the words: “Make the hole bigger”.
    By increasing the diameter of the hole from 5 mm to 6 mm, the volume of paste squeezed out for any given length of toothpaste along the brush is increased by 40 percent. So, most users will consume the tube that much faster and need to buy more.

Possible Moral
This story serves to illustrate that simple ideas can come from simple imaginative thinking. Never question simple ideas for being “too simple”. It’s indeed easy to overlook these. Yet sometimes the best solution is to simplify the issue you’re struggling with instead of looking for groundbreaking solutions.

Story from We All Need Heroes: Stories of the Brave and Foolish.
For Paperback, ePUB and Kindle editions visit:
http//www.weallneedheroes.com

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

768 34 26
Well this is just an inside look into my brain! And my thoughts that I thought others might have as well so yeah! some of these stories are true some...
301 80 31
Let me begin by introducing you to myself, and why I wish to write these blogs on motivation, compassion, and passion. My name is Shane Jeremy James...
Magic By Tulja

Short Story

9.5K 2.9K 86
Little short stories, full of emotions, and the things that are still not solved today. Every chapter is a new story. There might be a story of a mo...
71 0 43
Stories I'm thinking about writing shoved in here so I don't keep making knew stories when I haven't finished writing the last 12 drafts I've been wo...