Soul of the Cerberus [NEW]

By AndieKlein

Twenty-three-year-old Korina Varga, a young art major had it all figured out. She would paint and sell her ar... More

Prologue
Chapter 1- Homebound
Chapter 2 - The silver lining
Chapter 3 - It takes three to tango
Chapter 4 - Devil's advocate
Chapter 5 - Shadows in the dark
Chapter 6 - Blank slate
Chapter 7 - Love hurts
Chapter 8 - Sucker punched
Chapter 9 - Rat in the house
Chapter 11 - All guns blazing
Chapter 11-All guns blazing (Part 2)
Chapter 12 - Anything but you
Chapter 13 - Keep on smiling
Chapter 14 - Heart on fire
Chapter 15 - First mission
Chapter 16 - The climb
Chapter 17 - Not good enough
Chapter 18 - Dance
Chapter 19 - Unusual alliance
Chapter 20 - Pour it up
Chapter 20 - Pour it up (2 part)
Chapter 21 - Chaos
Chapter 22 - Chaos (Part 2)
Chapter 23 - Chaos (Part 3)
Chapter 24 - Chaos (Part 4)
Chapter 25 - Don't let me go
Chapter 26 - Last farewell

Chapter 10 - Locking horns

42 4 0
By AndieKlein

"Hey." I greeted the group sitting around the table with Sanna in the middle. I lifted a brow at their deadpan expressions. There was an unusual silence at the table, compared to the constant chatter and laughter. I looked from Sanna to Landon and at last‒to Elliot, who was the only one with a content expression on his face, his eyes smiling as usual.

"What did I miss?" I said, looking at them with confusion. "And what are you grinning about?" I nodded towards Elliot.

"My respected colleague came this morning. I am delighted." He said, smiling widely.

Rob, one of the Sanna's coworkers coughed wildly as food got stuck in his throat. "You've got to be kidding me!" He said, horrified, his eyes watering. "Oh right! He isn't your boss!" He spat.

"What is he talking about?" I looked at Sanna and Elliot.

"Actually it is your fault!" Rob stabbed a finger at me with dark expression on his face. "If you wouldn't come here in the first place, that Cerberus prick wouldn't have the motive to hunt us down!"

"I-" I started, astonished by his accusation.

"Oh shut up Robert!" Sanna glared at him "It isn't her fault and we all know it! Laurel would try to hunt us down eventually, with Korina here or not. At least now we are doing something about it!" She jumped in my defense. "We need these new systems and he is the one who programmed them. So shut up and try to endure it!"

He sighed in defeat "I am sorry Korina, I didn't mean to be rude."

I nodded at him, turning back towards Sanna "Oh so this means that the new guy from the Central is here?" I asked her.

"Yes. He is the best there is. Truly brilliant. If he can't protect this place, I don't know who can." She took a bite of her pastry, gulping it down.

"Well I am glad you idolize him, I would too if he wouldn't be so domineering, peering over our shoulders and criticizing our work!" Rob sneered.

"He takes his profession seriously." Landon shrugged, but also looked annoyed.

"Right. And how do you feel about someone who just swooped in and stole your position as a director of the IT department?" Rob laughed bitterly.

"He didn't steal anything, and I am still the head of IT, we just share the title." Landon said, trying to look nonchalant about it.

"Well, at least we can learn something from him?" Sanna looked at them, hopefully.

"And what would that be? His humorless attitude? Or how to be a stuck up ass?"

"Oh come on Rob!" Sanna said angrily "That is just mean." She glanced at Elliot, making sure he wasn't offended they were insulting his friend.

"Where is he anyway?" I asked looking around, not comprehending why he wouldn't be sitting with his team.

"At his office, working. I am amazed he allowed us to take a break and grab something to eat." Rob said, his expression twisting.

"You make him sound like a tyrant." I said, smiling.

"He is." Rob told me directly. "I am sorry, I know he is your best buddy an all but..." He looked at Elliot, shaking his head.

"He takes his job very seriously, that doesn't mean he is a bad person. He is my acquaintance, we worked closely together at Central some time ago. He is very skilled, so it was an extremely enlightening experience." Elliot smiled at me.

"What position did he had there?" I asked curiously.

"He was the head of IT department. Actually, he was the one who found you Korina." Sanna turned to me, pushing her half-eaten tray away.

"Really?" I asked with amazement "And he also had the photographs Traxx has brought me." I muttered to myself.

"Well we have to go, or we will be in trouble. I really don't want to work until midnight but I don't know about you guys." She stood up, suggestively looking at her friends.

"Absolutely not." Said Rob sighing "Wish us luck. If we don't survive, know we died of exhaustion and boredom."

I laughed at his sulky face.

"Speaking of trouble, I should go too. Daniel must be already waiting for me in the training room." I waved them goodbye, pitying their annoyed expressions.

*

This week we went through every single punch and kick I've learned, and I slowly felt how my body relaxed into a quick, but tough tempo. Even though I still spent most of my time flat on my behind, my strength grew and I felt more aware of my opponent's moves. I knew the basics, so we gradually moved on to more complex techniques.

At first, I was wary of Daniel, seeing him as a ruthless trainer, but soon I understood that it was necessary. When the attack happened, it was a lesson learned and I find out the hard way how important it was that I learned to fight back.

"You did well." Said Daniel, petting me on the shoulder. "The next time we will bring in Kellan. He is an excellent fighter but doesn't possess the strength or speed like yours. I want to see how much you've progressed during these weeks."

I stared at him wide-eyed "He will massacre me."

"He is a Skinwalker Korina, you are a Cerberus. Have a little faith in your abilities." He stepped closer to me "One more thing. Can you do me a little favor before you go?"

"What do you need?" I asked, looking at the documents in his hands.

"I need these delivered to Landon, but I am already running late. Maximillian signed the papers about developing new enhanced defense systems. Can you do this for me?" He asked, his eyes looking hopeful.

"Sure, no problem." I said, taking the papers.

Corridors were almost empty since everybody was busy with their jobs. I have never been to IT sector before, so I was curious how it looked. The metallic doors were shut with almost unsettling silence behind them.

I got a funny feeling I'd be disturbing them and that I should knock, instead I quietly stepped in and quickly looked around to find Landon. The sector was big but much smaller than ours or the med bay. There were desks connected everywhere with numerous monitors on them. There was also long, narrow server room in the back, shining with blinking blue lights. Part of the sector's floor was slightly lifted, so I had to step up on the elevated platform. In the middle was a circular-shaped desk where Landon and other superiors sat. Above them was a big, wide screen, where they surveyed the plans for a new defense system.

I saw Sanna wildly waving at me, her smile bright and wide. "What are you doing here?" She mouthed.

I lifted the documents for her to see, returning her smile.

"Landon." I said stepping closer to him "Daniel sent me to give you these." I gave him the papers. He hurriedly went through them, sinning them. "Thank you Korina, you can return them."

But I wasn't listening to him anymore. My jaw dropped as I saw him walk in. I never saw anything so fascinating like him. His skin was jadish, almost olive, with scales so smooth, they were barely visible. His expression was serious, no that would be an understatement, he was positively gloomy.

He was about the same height as Daniel. His physique was lean and muscular, but not overly so as Traxx's was. He had full lips and his nose was slightly flattened, almost like Traxx's. His eyes were bigger and wider than human's, but so brilliant that I couldn't look away from them. They were the most beautiful pair of bright green irises, with little streaks of gold in them. It almost looked like there were stars shining in his eyes. His pupils were also larger, giving him a somewhat gentle look.

Under his eyes there were four brownish-green tattoos in a circular shape, running from the beginning to the end of his lower eyelids. He didn't have a hair, instead, he had about five one-inch-long dark olive spikes running from his head crown to his upper part of the neck. Spikes were also on the sides of his head, running over the spot where his ears should be, down to his neck. Under one row of the spikes on both sides of his head were also small tympanic membranes, covering his ear cavities.

I noticed a beautiful dark green subscription tattooed on the nape of the neck that must have extended to his back. He wore a dark fitting t-shirt and dark loose blue jeans. Because he wore short sleeves, his armband tattoos were visible on his forearms and also on the upper arms.

Landon snapped his fingers before my eyes. "Korina? Stop gawking at him and take these back to Daniel." He shook the papers in his hand.

"Is that him?" I asked, still staring. I assumed that he must be the new guy because I've never seen him before.

"Yes, that is Yannik Karani. Now stop starring and let me work or he will skin me alive." He sighed.

"What race is he?" I asked, still ignoring him.

"Aerukhan." He whispered "Now leave!"

I remembered Maximillian mentioning the name of his race after my transformation, but I didn't know anything about it.

I forced my legs to move, but I still stared in awe. It was a good thing he didn't even notice me because I resembled the gaping tourists on my home island. He slowly walked through the rows of tables, assessing everyone's progress, occasionally leaning in to add a comment, pointing at the screen.

There was a heavy silence in the sector ever since he walked in. Everybody worked quietly, minding their own business. And I knew this was the cue for me to get out of there. I gripped the papers and almost sprinted to the door, closing them silently behind me.

*

"I am exhausted." Sanna plopped down on a chair beside me. "I cannot possibly stay awake during the Universal studies. Rob was right, he is a drill sergeant." She complained, leaning her forehead on the cold surface of the desk.

"Go ahead. Nobody's listening anyway." I laughed at her sleepy face and her red-rimmed eyes. When the half of the room was asleep and the other half chattering with their partners, the old mage stopped lecturing. When he gave up and stood up to leave, I caught up with him.

"Sir, can I ask you a question?" I said, standing between him and the entrance.

He looked surprised that anyone would show any interest to ask him anything. "Absolutely."

"You know a lot about different races, is that right?" I said the obvious, looking at him.

"Of course. What do you want to know?" He told me, smiling.

"Anything about Aerukhans." I blurted out. "Where do they come from? What are they like?" I questioned him with wide eyes.

"All right. Slow down." He smiled. "I can lend you a book about different races, there you can read everything about them." He assured me. "And if you still have questions after that, come to find me."

"That would be perfect." I beamed at him.

"You know you are the first person to ask me a question in a very long time?" He shook his head, looking at his sleeping students. "This is more like a lunch break to them."

"I am new to all of this, so everything appears fascinating." I admitted.

He led me to his small office where he rummaged through the disordered pile of books which were lying everywhere. I smiled to myself as it actually reminded me a bit of my room, back on the island. "It must be here somewhere. Ah!" He exhaled as he pulled out a heavy book covered in leather. "Here it is." He gave me the book and rubbed his dusty palms on his pants. "And please, for heaven's sake don't lose it!" He begged me, his fingers entwined.

"I won't, thank you very much!" I beamed at him, putting the book in my gym bag.

The minute I came back to my apartment I drew out the timeworn book and jumped on the bed. It was so captivating, filled with old colorful illustrations. I couldn't help but read about each race as I slowly turned the pages. When I finally found Aerukhans there was not as much as I expected there would be.

The Aerukhan race is ancient, originating from planet Aeruk. Most of its surface is covered in deep humid rainforests and swamps. The race is known for its physical strength and enhanced brain function and processes, therefore most of the inhabitants work as scientists, biologists or specializing in mechanical engineering or computer science. The race possesses a great amount of knowledge, consequently, most of the electronics and machinery in the Universe is transported from their planet. Aerukhans' experiments with their DNA molecules to prolong their lifespan are well-known through the entire Universe since they achieved a goal of immortality for their inhabitants. A few millennia later the gene for immortality was sold to the other races at expensive prices or traded for rare raw materials.

The inhabitants are covered in smooth scaly skin and they usually live in habitats that consist of cool, damp places. They possess remarkable regenerative capabilities, making them fierce opponents in fights. Fights are common among males since the population of the females is 50% lesser than males'. Because of the deficit of females, there was established a caste system, giving the most elite men the right to procreate and mate first. Male's skin color is typically darker than female's, their tones variating from dark yellow, violet, vivid blue and red. Males are born with markings on their body, which serve as a warning to other males, brighter and more aggressive coloring indicates that male was born in the elite family.

I frowned looking at the illustrations. Their skin surely was brighter, not at all dark like Yannik's. The warning marks were made to stand out, attract a female's attention. He somehow looked very different from his people that were portrayed in the pictures.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

572 61 25
Kaley Langstrom is your typical 15 year old girl. She lives in her ordinary house in her ordinary neighborhood, she goes to her ordinary high school...
1.5M 42.8K 48
1st in hell as of June 23 2018 & July 2 2020 1st in demon as of August 24 2018 1st in forever as of June 12 2019 1st in fantasy-romance as of June 2...
Superior By Sam and Shy

Science Fiction

2.7K 121 21
In a world where only those born to the best are given the best, and the poor lie with the dogs, 18 year old Aisa Farrow comes from a wealthy family...