Soul of the Cerberus [NEW]

By AndieKlein

Twenty-three-year-old Korina Varga, a young art major had it all figured out. She would paint and sell her ar... More

Prologue
Chapter 1- Homebound
Chapter 2 - The silver lining
Chapter 3 - It takes three to tango
Chapter 5 - Shadows in the dark
Chapter 6 - Blank slate
Chapter 7 - Love hurts
Chapter 8 - Sucker punched
Chapter 9 - Rat in the house
Chapter 10 - Locking horns
Chapter 11 - All guns blazing
Chapter 11-All guns blazing (Part 2)
Chapter 12 - Anything but you
Chapter 13 - Keep on smiling
Chapter 14 - Heart on fire
Chapter 15 - First mission
Chapter 16 - The climb
Chapter 17 - Not good enough
Chapter 18 - Dance
Chapter 19 - Unusual alliance
Chapter 20 - Pour it up
Chapter 20 - Pour it up (2 part)
Chapter 21 - Chaos
Chapter 22 - Chaos (Part 2)
Chapter 23 - Chaos (Part 3)
Chapter 24 - Chaos (Part 4)
Chapter 25 - Don't let me go
Chapter 26 - Last farewell

Chapter 4 - Devil's advocate

56 4 0
By AndieKlein

We've arrived at our shop about five hours before the exhibition, since there was still much to be done. We've cleaned the place the day before, but we still needed to place paintings and add finishing touches to decoration. Even if the store wasn't big, it fit about fifteen people. My friends came early as promised, three hours before the exhibition started. Mark was a much-needed help since he took care of displaying the paintings. They were arranged in a circular style on the largest wall of the store, framed with dark thick frames. In the middle of them was presented a story of the paintings, carved on a wooden board made from spruce. The whole place was decorated in a "misty night" theme. There were black synthetic cloths hanging on the walls and on the ground, covered with seashells of various sizes. Dark chandelier, decorated with shining stars was a perfect addition to the motif. A few circular tables were set in the middle of the room, containing rich varieties of homemade biscuits and sweets.

I was stealing glances towards my friends as they diligently helped with decorations. I smiled as I saw how they were stealing glances at each other and how he always had to touch her if he was away from her longer than two minutes.

And I knew now that no matter how different they were it didn't matter at all. She was all he wasn't and the way around, they complemented each other. He behaved like she was his center of the universe. And I couldn't help myself as I felt a little stab of jealousy. Not that I needed a man to be with, it was this unconditional love they felt. And somewhere deep inside me, I wanted that too.

When Lena saw me staring she winked at me and gave me the thumbs up.

When first guests arrived, everything was organized and ready. I had to admit that I was dreadfully nervous. My hands were clammy, so I clasped them behind my back. I drew few long, deep breaths to calm myself down.

There were a lot of older paintings in the shop, not just my new collection so customers had to circle around to see all of them. Quite a few of them asked me about my paintings and about the fact what got me inspired as I stood nearby. With gentle music in the background, I was starting to relax a little.

My friends and parents were nearby, mainly entertaining the guests. The store was positively full and while some guests were genuinely interested in my art, some just came to check out what the fuss was about.

And suddenly he was there too, studying my art in awe. He was polished as ever, but this time he was wearing a gray blazer and blue jeans. His blond hair was brushed to the side in a messy way and his face was cleanly shaven. He wasn't alone this time. His companion was standing right beside him and I noticed that he was even higher, towering over the blonde guy. His futures were sharper, his expression serious. Somehow, even if they looked about the same age, he seemed much older. It must have been the way he was carrying himself. He was wearing a dark suit, his hands shoved in his pockets. With his blazing red hair cut short, he was a picture of a composition. Even his walk reflected undeniable raw power and influence. But what moved me the most, was the way he was staring at me. His brows drew together as he studied me so intently, trying to figure me out. He appeared shocked by something for a moment as his blue eyes grew wide and he spoke rapidly to his friend.

Who were these men? Probably rich, bored tourists looking for fun. That wouldn't surprise me one bit since we had those around a lot.

Redheaded man's look followed me everywhere I went, making me uncomfortable and uneasy.

"Friends of yours?" Mother asked me.

"No, I don't even know them." I told her as we both discretely checked them out.

"Well, it doesn't seem so. Looks like you have fans then." She winked at me.

"Hardly. Not with that horn on my forehead." I touched my sore spot on my head, which was still horrifically colored.

She laughed out loud "It will fade. Eventually." She nodded towards both men "Go talk to them."

"Are you serious?" I looked at her with a slack-jawed expression. "Why on earth would I talk to them? Just look at them." I discretely pointed towards where they stood, trying to avert my eyes.

"I am. So what? It is called having fun Korina." She smirked as she moved her hips.

"What-? Oh, God. I have work to do you know." I said, putting my hands on my hips.

"Consider it part of the work." She winked as she flew over to the blond man offering her hand in greeting.

"Oh hell, no she didn't." I muttered to myself as I slowly dragged my feet towards them.

"My name is Ivana Varga. Gentlemen, do you enjoy our display?" My Mother said smiling.

"Daniel Ryce and this is my friend Maximillian Donati. It is spectacular, thank you." Answered the blond man, kissing her hand and slightly bowing.

Mother literally blushed at his manners and turned to the man called Maximilian. "I am glad to meet you. My daughter painted them." She pointed at my collection. Both men turned to stare at me.

"You are the artist then. So you must be Korina Varga." Daniel said with an amusing smile on his face.

I gulped as I stepped closer, shaking his hand. He was intimidating to say at least.

"They are beautiful."

I was relieved I could turn to the red-headed man standing next to him. "Thank you." It was easier to look into his eyes, since they were somehow gentle, almost friendly.

"Can they be already purchased?" He asked me and I couldn't help myself to angle closer to him. His presence was soothing me, easing the coldness inside me. It was as he was radiating the light and heat.

"No, but after today they can." I said, feeling cold again as he took a step back. Shame colored my cheeks as I figured he must think what a maniac I am, invading his personal space.

But he didn't look appalled, instead, he kept looking at me with a fixated stare.

"Is everything all right?" I asked him, feeling overwhelmed under his scrutinizing stare.

"Yes, I..." He started "It is only that..." He moistened his lips, trying to compose himself.

I remained quiet, waiting for him to finish his sentence, looking at his confused, pained expression.

"It's astonishing, how much you resemble the person I used to know." His hand twitched, almost like he wanted to touch me.

I itched to ask him who is that person I resembled and what happened to her, but it wasn't my place to ask.

"Sir." I said, not knowing how to properly address him, as he seemed almost regal.

"Call me Maximillian, please." He said, his eyes smiling.

"Max." The blond man, Daniel, warned. He slowly shook his head. "You promised not to."

Promised what? I thought. Those men barely even knew me, what is there to promise? This whole situation was just strange. The red-headed man behaved like he somehow knew me and the blond one was now acting hostile. I shuddered as he glared at me, giving me the feeling he wanted to charge me any second.

I pulled away, hating myself for my cowardice as I stepped closer to Maximillian. At the same time, he angled his body closer to mine, probably unknowingly assuring me, he would keep me safe.

But it didn't last long as he snapped himself out of momentum, realizing what he was doing.

"I didn't mean to... Excuse me please." He said, suddenly charging towards the exit.

"Don't mind him, he is just a little confused." Said Daniel, politely smiling at my bewildered mother, not bothering to acknowledge me.

My mother's eyes dangerously narrowed as she spoke to him, smile long gone from her face "What is this about? And what business do you have with my daughter?"

"I assure you, it is nothing. He was reminded of somebody that is all." He said, his face remained impassive, giving away nothing.

My mother clearly didn't believe him "Look, I don't know who you are or why you are here, but you will leave her alone." She straightened her posture as she looked him dead in the eye.

"Mother." I said, putting my hand on her shoulder. This whole situation turned from strange to bad in just a few short moments. They were speaking in a manner like I wasn't in the room at all. "Please, I can speak for myself."

I swallowed my fear as she hesitantly stepped away, allowing me to approach Daniel. It was the first time I was able to look at him so closely. He was beautiful, no doubt at all, even more so that the other guy.

He assessed me, his look darting from my head to my toes, with a mocking expression on his face.

This guy was seriously pissing me off. What right did he have to behave in a such insulting way?

"I appreciate you came to my exhibition. But now it is time for you to leave." I said with my most uncompromising voice, praying it won't break.

He waited for my mother to turn and speak with another curious guest, then he leaned in to whisper in my ear.

His warm breath tickled my earlobe, sending shivers down my spine. "So exquisite. What a shame such beauty cannot exist." He gently rubbed his lips against my cheek. Our contact gave me the eccentric feeling, part good, part bad, feeding my starved soul with light, but also darkness. But I wasn't a fool. I knew I should stay away from him at any cost.

"Leave." I whispered as he looked at me closely, his lips mere few centimeters from my face.

He threw his hands in the air "All right! Easy there!" He smiled viciously, like a hunter stalking his pray "See you soon Korina." He whispered with a serious expression on his face, letting me know that his promise was anything but a joke.

I pressed my hand to my throat, waiting for my pulse to calm down. He turned from me, walking away so slowly as he didn't have a care in the world.

I exhaled loudly, feeling my body relaxing the minute he was gone.

I saw my mother only a few steps away, quietly speaking to my father, who was looking at me with wary.

"Were they bothering you?" He said, looking towards the exit.

"No, don't worry. Like I've said, they don't even know me." I rubbed my temples, feeling a headache coming on.

"What was that?" Said Lena, towing half-drunk Mark behind her. He was holding a glass of champagne in his hand, slightly wobbling on his feet.

"A really strange first encounter." I said giving out a breathy laugh. I turned away from them, wanting to busy myself with anything I could find.

"Are you sure you haven't met them before?" Lena caught my hand, pulling me away from peering eyes.

"Well no, not really." I said, shrugging.

"Not really, what is that supposed to mean?" She widened her eyes at my incomplete answer.

"Ok, I saw one of them. Once." I admitted to her "It was the blond guy, Daniel."

"Where?" She said, her eyes round as she clutched my hand. I winced at how strong she was squeezing it.

"At the pub. The night I fainted. He was standing on the other side of the dance floor with some women, drinking. Then he looked at me. That is all." I said, shivering uncomfortably as I remembered the cold smile he gave me.

"Well, he gives me the creeps. Stay the hell away from this one." She said, hugging her body tight.

"I very well intend to. It's not like I am going fly into his arms or something. Jesus." I looked at her as she was completely insane. There was something clearly wrong with that man, why would I seek him out?

I disliked his arrogance and his inappropriate attitude, besides let's not forget the main reason‒I was terrified of him.

"How are you two?" I nodded towards Mark, feeling desperate to change the subject.

"Great." She beamed, her auburn hair flying as she bounced. "He is still leaving, you know. But we will figure it out, how to stay together I mean. He needs money right now, and this job is everything he dreamed of and more. So, we will compromise and see how it turns out. But he said he will try to find a job here, closer to home.

"That is great Lena! Congratulations! To both of you." I laughed as Mark approached, hugging Lena's waist.

"I give you my word woman, I will come back for you." He said, his eyes slightly glazing. "I waited far too long for this." He lowered his face, brushing his lips against hers.

"You two are horrible." I shook my head, smiling as I left them lovingly stare into each other's eyes.

The rest of the night went by smoothly. We had a lot of visitors, mainly tourists come and go, and a lot of them expressed interest in buying the paintings. My friends had already left a while ago, with Lena supporting Mark's weight as he had one too many to drink.

Success was written all over my mother's face and she looked absolutely radiant. But we grew exhausted as midnight went by, feeling the consequences of all day's hard work. I drew a breath of relief as the last visitor said goodbye, vanishing into the night.

We all shared a look, feeling content how the event turned out but also realizing what a long day is awaiting us tomorrow. After half an hour, we could finally leave the place. We crowded in an old gray Ford Fiesta we owned, with father driving half-asleep behind the wheel.

Even with an unease rooted deep inside of me at the thought of Daniel and with the coldness sitting inside my soul, I've never slept more soundlessly as I did today.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.5K 1.2K 50
Some things are stronger where they have been broken, other things shatter with the slightest pressure. Loyalty, secrets, and souls can do both, but...
187 18 7
It all began on an ordinary Saturday. Her life has never been the same since. Lexi Anderson never wanted an adventure. But ever since she moved to En...
931 113 41
Two worlds collide in one epic tale. Artemisia had lived in isolation for almost her entire life, but when she one day encounters a strange creature...