Demonic Illumination(#wattys2...

By EternalIllusion

Éclair is a 17 year old girl with a strange gift that has lived all her life in an orphanage. When her grandf... More

Demonic Illumination
Chapter one
Chapter two
Chapter three
Chapter four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Nine

26 3 1
By EternalIllusion

This is a really long chapter and I hope you enjoy it. Everything is a bit rushed but I really couldn't wait to get this out of the way. It's about time.

Love_Shane <3

I bolted into the room and closed the door then I locked it. My heart was beating erratically as I remembered how Patrick had changed right before my eyes. Almost as if finally remembered a forgotten dream, flashbacks from the day I met the man named Phineas at the park hit me hard like a brick wall.

I remembered everything, from the tall man in my room to the gargoyle-like creature that Phineas had changed into. I remembered suffocating under the guy's crushing grasp, I remembered that he kissed me before I passed out and I unconsciously reached up and touched my lips. He had stolen my first kiss.

I felt like everything was coming into perspective. Phineas and Patrick weren't human at all. I remembered the books that were scattered through Gregory's office, demon magic. Was I dealing with demons? Is that what I was able to sense this whole time?

What if Gregory was a demon too and all this was just a way to somehow hurt me like Phineas had done, I thought to myself. I felt sense panic overcoming me followed by a stream of tears down my cheeks. This couldn't have be happening. I was in a dream, I nodded to myself and closed my eyes.

"This is just another one of your nightmares Éclair, wake up!" I opened my eyes but nothing had changed. I lay on the bed and let the intensity and confusion of my current situation overtake me. Was I crazy or was this really happening to me?

I walked over to the bed and curved my body into the fetal position. I felt betrayed, I had trusted Patrick to the point that I had considered him somewhat of a friend. I felt like my life was better at the orphanage. I would have graduated from high school, went in search of a job and continued on until I could take care of Allan on my own.

I missed him more than ever and I felt my tears intensify as I thought of him. I was about to bawl when I heard the knock on my door. My heart beat faster as fear churned deep in my stomach. I felt him coming even before i heard his footsteps. I was afraid to answer. I didn't trust anyone anymore. Not even the sweet, caring Patrick.

He knocked again. I remained silent.

"Éclair, please allow me to enter," Patrick said from the other side, for the first time addressing me by my full name. I wrapped my arms around my body as a shiver ran through me. I didn't want to see him, or even be here. I just wanted to go home.

"I just want to talk. I know my true form startled you, it must be a lot to take in but that was the only way for you to know the truth."

I head him sigh from the other side of the door. I was now positive that what I saw wasn't me going insane, this was real and it scared me beyond measure. There was no way I was going to let him in now.

I sank my head further down into the soft pillow and just let it absorb my tears.

"I shall give you space, but believe me. This is just the tip of the iceberg. When you are ready, just call out to me and everything shall be explained." He paused for a moment before continuing.

"You have the ability to sense things Éclair, things you cannot explain as of yet. Though that ability has not been fully awakened, I know you possess it in you, such is in your nature. Search your heart and tell me if you feel like I would hurt you in any way, if you do not believe me, maybe you will believe your own instincts. I mean you no harm." I could hear his retreating footsteps.

I thought about what he had said, I hated the fact that he was right. I felt no hostility from him like I had felt from Phineas all those weeks ago. All that I felt from him was a certain unexplainable unease. The type you would feel if you somehow found yourself face to face with a tiger, no matter how domesticated or friendly it was, your body will still tell you, "that is a wild animal" and that alone will make sure you are alert at all times.

The part that scared me the most was not the fact that I had seen demons with my own eyes and just remembered that one almost killed me, causing me enough trauma for my brain to push the memory out. Not even because I had just realized that Patrick, my grandfather's butler, was one too and we were under the same roof.

The part that scared me the most was that I wasn't truly afraid, well I was...but somehow all the memories that seeing Patrick's true form had triggered back into my mind and Patrick himself felt vaguely familiar.

******

I woke up to the sound of the ringing telephone on my bedside table. I decided to ignore it. I yawned and glanced over at the clock on my wall. It was almost 9pm.

I was more in tune with Patrick now because I felt his presence walking my way again. He knocked on my door and I remained silent yet again.

"Eclair, I thought you would be hungry since you missed supper. I'll leave your food here. Please eat," he waited for a few minutes then walked away. Once I couldn't feel him anymore, I walked to my door, unlocked it and retrieved the tray of food on the other side. Though the food was delicious, my body couldn't let me indulge in it.

I was about to go take a shower when the phone rang again. I wondered what Patrick could be looking for this time of night, considering that he had just stopped by and said nothing. I took a deep breath and walked to the ringing telephone, picked up the receiver and held it to my ear with a shaky hand.

There was a long pause, neither of us wanting to be the first to break it.

"We have to talk," came Gregory's cold voice. I had expected it to be Patrick and was shocked to hear my grandfather on the other line.

"What makes you think that I want to talk to you?" I spat out in anger. He kept quiet and I imagined the scowl on his face.

"Did you bring me here just to harm me? Are you even really my grandfather or is this just another one of those monster's tricks?" I shouted into the receiver.

I wasn't afraid anymore, I was more angry than I was scared and all I wanted was to escape this Godforsaken island and go home. I hated the fact that I was trapped here with no means of escape.

"Come down to the library, I shall explain everything to you if you still wish to hear it." I was about to say something when I head the line cut. He is using my curiosity just to lure me out, I thought to myself. I walked to the bathroom and turned the water on in the shower, I was going to need all the strength I had for what I was about to expose myself to.

Besides, Gregory could wait as punishment for all the nastiness he has subjected me to.

The water was hot on my skin, the burning sensation soothing my bones. The shower only lasted for a few minutes but it did wonders for my tired body. I went into the closet and took out black pants, a grey hoodie and combat boots. I looked like I was ready for war, and in my heart I was.

I walked out of the room and slowly walked through the dimly lit hallways. I felt so different, almost like I had changed in a matter of just a few hours. I was not afraid, I had decided that getting an explanation was worth risking my life. At least I'd die knowing something about my parents, and if Gregory had that information, I'd have to play along with him.

I passed his office and walked to a room Patrick had showed me as the library when he took me on the tour this morning. Had it only just been this morning that I was crying like a fool in front of Gregory? It felt like a lifetime ago. I kicked myself for placing my trust in Patrick and felt my heart tug as I thought of how he had betrayed me.

I didn't bother knocking, I already knew that Patrick was in there and assumed that Gregory was too. For a moment I hesitated wondering whether it was just a trap. Indeed I saw Patrick sitting in one of the couches in the library, Gregory was sitting by the fireplace, the flames creating shadows on his face that made him look even more unwelcoming than he already was.

The library was quiet warm and cozy compared to the rest of the manor. It was the one place that looked like it was actually lived in. It was not messy like Gregory's office. It's walls held a comforting air around them making one want to just snuggle up onto one of the couches with a book and a cup of hot chocolate.

"You certainly took you're sweet time," Gregory said, finally turning to face me.

"Take a seat," he ordered.

"I'd rather stand," i stood near a table that was close to the door in case I needed to bolt out again.

"Suit yourself."

There was silence in the room, they seemed unsure where to start so I took the initiative. This wasn't a time to shy away, they had called me here after all.

"Are you going to say something or are you just going to waste my time?" I said looking at them both. No one responded and I couldn't help the sigh of exasperation that escaped my lips.

"So," I turned to face Gregory, making sure I still had Patrick in my line of sight.

"Would you mind telling me why you have a demon in your home? Are you even my grandfather?" The words came out as a shout and Gregory's face contorted in anger but he composed himself.

"Patrick, as I call him, is a loyal servant, and yes, I really am your grandfather," he said in his usual cold tone. I took the silence that followed as an opportunity to face Patrick for the first time. His eyes were laced with worry and remorse.

"You're name isn't even Patrick?"

"No," he responded cooly. I shook my head, the betrayal settling in more now that he was in my presence.

"Then what is it?" I asked.

"It is not safe to utter demon names in this realm," he said swiftly.

"Éclair, I suggest you take a seat, what we are about to tell you is-"

"Stop pretending like you care Patrick, how could you possibly know what is good for me?" I shouted at him before he could finish. I could see pain in his eyes but I ignored it.

"He is right you know, you should probably-"

"Don't even get me started Gregory!" I snapped at him too. "Get on with it, I don't have all night," I said folding my arms across my chest.

Gregory took in a deep breath, his face showing that whatever he was recalling wasn't pleasant.

" A long time ago, as a stupid youth much like yourself," he paused to scowl at me and I rolled my eyes at him. "I met a girl and fell in love." My eyes widened, I didn't think Gregory was capable of such an emotion.

"One thing led to another and soon she found out that she was pregnant, I was just barely 20 years old, no formal education and disowned by my parents for having a child out of wedlock. In those days, having a bastard child was a thing looked down upon.

The girl I had fallen in love with was fresh out of high school. With both of us disowned, we wandered around. I took odd jobs here and there trying to sustain us but it was never enough. After giving birth to a beautiful baby girl, your mother," he paused again and this time the look on his face was rather soft and full of love as if seeing some of her in me, my heart swelled, he looked away again to continue his story.

"Your grandmother couldn't handle raising a child in poverty so she told me that we should give the child up for adoption. I couldn't handle giving her away so when she left me and went back to our hometown to beg for forgiveness, I was left as a single parent.

I lived in a one bedroom apartment with a child I had no idea how to take care of but I refused to give in. I had acquired a job at a gas station and had asked the woman in the apartment next door to mine to babysit Valerie while I was gone.

My job was simple, all I had to do was fill up the cars with gas and offer to clean their windscreens for a tip. It was a small town and only the privileged had he luxury of having cars back then so there was hardly any business.

The night he drove up to the gas station is the night that everything changed," the look on Gregory's face held such a deep hatred to them that I felt myself sitting down on the nearby love seat. He looked pained and angrier than I had seen him in the short time that I had been here. I glanced at Patrick, he held sympathy in his eyes for his master.

"The black car purred towards the station and I ran up to service him. I was excited because I thought someone as rich as he was would tip me handsomely. The window rolled down and the chauffeur addressed me. I asked him if he'd like me to clean his windscreen but out came a sharp and cold 'no'.

That was when the the passenger window of the back seat rolled down, out puffed smoke and loud chatter from the two beautiful women inside. I envied him,"

Gregory shook his head with anger still painted onto his features. Patrick walked over to pour him a glass of Scotch almost as if responding to an unspoken command.

He thanked him and went on with his story as I listened patiently,

"He called out to me, and I ran to his side. His shoulder length dark hair smelled of smoke and expensive brandy, the type that my father used to have a sip of only on Christmas.

'Boy' he had addressed me,

'do you want to be like me?' and of course I had nodded stupidly, thinking how easy Valerie's life could be if I had that kind of money.

'What are you willing to pay to have this life?' He had asked me with a deep, sleek tone. I told him I'd give anything, relayed to him how I was a single father struggling to raise a child. I should have known that the smirk that adorned his face held nothing but evil.

After tipping me with more money than I earned in a month, he told me he'd visit me on the day of the next full moon and drove off. I hadn't even told him where I lived so I thought nothing of it."

"Where is this story going?" I asked getting a little impatient. Gregory scowled at me and I quickly shut my mouth and continued to listen.

He took a sip and went on.

"True to his word, the same man knocked at my door in the middle of the night weeks later. Valerie had a fever and would not stop crying. I was beyond stressed and in fear that I would lose my child due to malnutrition or some fever that I wouldn't be able to afford the treatment to.

I opened the door and invited him in. Worst mistake of my life.

He looked around my tiny apartment with distaste and refused to sit when I offered him a seat. He went straight to business. He promised me riches beyond my own imagination, when I asked him how these riches would come my way, he simply laughed and told me not to worry myself about it.

He pulled out a contract which I was to sign which would bind me to him as his employee if I failed to pay the money all back once the time was right.

I was stupid and young, a man was promising me tons of money, money that I was in need of and the only thing I had to do was live my life in luxury and then pay him back when the time was right. Time that wasn't even specified, he assured me that it would be years until he needed it back.

What was there to lose? Being his employee didn't sound so bad, and with the right startup capital, I could start my own businesses and earn enough to pay him back. I agreed and signed the contract.

He left that night, only to come back the following night with a briefcase full of money. He reminded me of my contract and bid me farewell. I was left stunned and confused but the money was there. I immediately moved out of town, bought shares in major companies and quickly rose to wealth. though I was not formally educated, every move that I made miraculously worked out from a business stand point."

Gregory took another sip of his Scotch and looked at me , I averted my eyes because there was more hatred in them and I couldn't tell if it was directed at me or the man in the story.

"I raised your mother on the riches I made, making sure that she never wanted for anything. On her 18th birth I bought her this very same island we are on now," my eyes widened as I thought of what he was telling me, I still had no idea how it had anything to do with me or what happened to my parents.

"The years went by and I forgot about the man. I developed a gambling habit and lost a lot of money. The companies I had shares in mysteriously either went bankrupt or got exposed of some kind of fraud and shut down. I had to sell most of my property just to keep Valerie and I comfortable as we were.

When I was at my lowest, one night on a full moon, I received a knock in my office, Valerie was in this library reading as usual on that very same loves seat," he pointed to the love seat I was currently occupying. I unconsciously touched the plush material, feeling a sense of warmth by touching something that she too had touched.

"She had just turned 19 and her life was looking up, she was such a beautiful and intelligent child. Respectful and very giving. At the time, this place was filled with maids that were at our beck and call. The maid told me there was a man looking for me and out of curiosity of who it could be at that time, I asked her to let him in. The second biggest mistake of my life.

To my surprised, it was the man I had met 19 years ago, he was tall, still had long dark hair but he hadn't aged a day since then," my eyes widened as the story began to come together, the man that had made a deal with Gregory was not human at all. He had been a demon.

"He demanded his money back, it was the equivalent of $5 000 000 due to changing times and inflation and that was money I did not possess. I explained to him that all the companies I had owned were either bankrupted or closed down. I asked him to give me a little more time and of course he refused.

As per contract, I was to be his employee and that was when I realized that he was a demon and was asking me to be his servant for the rest of my soul's existence."

Gregory looked at me as I pieced the puzzle together, he could see the realization slowly dawning on my face. I wanted to hear no more and stood up, only to be pushed down by Patrick's tight grip, I hadn't even heard him walk to my side but that wasn't too surprising.

"You have to hear this Éclair," he whispered into my ear, forcing me back down onto my seat and standing protectively over me. I didn't want to hear any more but Gregory carried on, his hazel eyes boring straight into mine almost as if he wanted me to suffer the full intensity of his words.

"I was defeated and on my knees, I had given my child the best life but out of ungodly means and it was time for me to pay the ultimate price. Just then, Valerie, who had been hiding outside my office listening to the whole conversation budged in.

'Let me strike a deal with you,' she bargained with the demon. It was in his nature and so he couldn't resist. I tried to speak out, to stop her from speaking but my body was lifted up by an invisible force that pinned me to the wall, choking me in place.

'Interesting,' he said, walking over to my shaken, scared but brave Valerie.

'What is the deal you want to offer child,' he said circling her like a predator stalking prey.

'You can take me instead, I'll be your slave if you let my father go and cut all ties with him,' she said with balled fists. I tried to protest but I was hovering 4 feet from the ground, struggling to even breathe.

'Deal,' he said with a smirk on his lips. The contract we had evaporated in a puff of flames and I new one emerged in his palms. She walked over to it and signed it and it disappeared.

'It has been a pleasure doing business with you,' he said and a portal of swirling blue colors appeared right in front of our eyes, he took Valerie by the hand and disappeared, never to return again."

Tears ran down my cheeks, my eyes wide in shock. There were so many questions running through my mind. All I wanted to do was shut them out because deep down I knew the answer. I had always known the answer but was just too afraid to grasp it.

"I searched for ways to contact him again but I failed, I studied the ways of demons until I was able to call forth Patrick here using an ancient ritual. I fired all the maids that worked here and made them swear never to disclose the events that had occurred here. I became obsessed. I had studied Patrick for more than ten years until I perfected the ritual of summoning him. When he appeared before me, I did what I knew best, I gambled with him.

To this day I still think he let me win, but that is no matter. Just as I lost my daughter, Patrick here become my servant. I specifically chose Patrick because he possesses the power to find lost things and he has an uncanny ability to predict the future," I looked back at Patrick who smiled sweetly at me.

I could tell that he wanted to comfort me but was afraid of startling me again.

"I asked him to find Valerie or any sign of the demon in the demon realm and he had been searching ever since. a few weeks ago, he came to me in the middle of the night and told me that he had sensed the demon in our world, it was different but there was a tiny resemblance of what he felt to the demon that took my daughter,"

I stood up wanting to walk away, tears were running down my cheeks like a waterfall. I didn't want to hear this part of the story.

"Stop! I don't want to hear it!" I shouted at the top of my voice but my words fell onto deaf ears.

"He pinpointed your location and that is when we found you at the orphanage. You are a halfbreed Éclair, half human and half demon."

I tried waking away from the situation and the truth but my head throbbed with a pain a could not shake off, I took two steps and felt my body going numb, my legs unable to carry my weight gave in.

I landed on a strong pair of arms, then it all went black. I opened my eyes to the same dark hallways as before, I ran for my life, this time I was aware of what was chasing me, I knew what and who it was. The monster behind me was not only a demon, he was my father.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

74 11 13
To trust. To believe. To revenge. Three things people want to do, want to feel, but there's always a downside that makes them regret doing so. Bet...
34M 928K 63
Seventeen-year-old Scarlett Hayes is living her life by her own rules. Losing her parents at a young age has made her strong and fiercely independent...
208 38 36
She had three years to tell her best friend; Michael, that she was in love with him. Now their high school graduates and his left for six months on a...
13K 586 31
*Will be undergoing editing soon* "I was your curse , and you were my disease. I was saving you , but you were killing me." After loosing everything...