Chapter Nine

This is a really long chapter and I hope you enjoy it. Everything is a bit rushed but I really couldn't wait to get this out of the way. It's about time.

Love_Shane <3

I bolted into the room and closed the door then I locked it. My heart was beating erratically as I remembered how Patrick had changed right before my eyes. Almost as if finally remembered a forgotten dream, flashbacks from the day I met the man named Phineas at the park hit me hard like a brick wall.

I remembered everything, from the tall man in my room to the gargoyle-like creature that Phineas had changed into. I remembered suffocating under the guy's crushing grasp, I remembered that he kissed me before I passed out and I unconsciously reached up and touched my lips. He had stolen my first kiss.

I felt like everything was coming into perspective. Phineas and Patrick weren't human at all. I remembered the books that were scattered through Gregory's office, demon magic. Was I dealing with demons? Is that what I was able to sense this whole time?

What if Gregory was a demon too and all this was just a way to somehow hurt me like Phineas had done, I thought to myself. I felt sense panic overcoming me followed by a stream of tears down my cheeks. This couldn't have be happening. I was in a dream, I nodded to myself and closed my eyes.

"This is just another one of your nightmares Éclair, wake up!" I opened my eyes but nothing had changed. I lay on the bed and let the intensity and confusion of my current situation overtake me. Was I crazy or was this really happening to me?

I walked over to the bed and curved my body into the fetal position. I felt betrayed, I had trusted Patrick to the point that I had considered him somewhat of a friend. I felt like my life was better at the orphanage. I would have graduated from high school, went in search of a job and continued on until I could take care of Allan on my own.

I missed him more than ever and I felt my tears intensify as I thought of him. I was about to bawl when I heard the knock on my door. My heart beat faster as fear churned deep in my stomach. I felt him coming even before i heard his footsteps. I was afraid to answer. I didn't trust anyone anymore. Not even the sweet, caring Patrick.

He knocked again. I remained silent.

"Éclair, please allow me to enter," Patrick said from the other side, for the first time addressing me by my full name. I wrapped my arms around my body as a shiver ran through me. I didn't want to see him, or even be here. I just wanted to go home.

"I just want to talk. I know my true form startled you, it must be a lot to take in but that was the only way for you to know the truth."

I head him sigh from the other side of the door. I was now positive that what I saw wasn't me going insane, this was real and it scared me beyond measure. There was no way I was going to let him in now.

I sank my head further down into the soft pillow and just let it absorb my tears.

"I shall give you space, but believe me. This is just the tip of the iceberg. When you are ready, just call out to me and everything shall be explained." He paused for a moment before continuing.

"You have the ability to sense things Éclair, things you cannot explain as of yet. Though that ability has not been fully awakened, I know you possess it in you, such is in your nature. Search your heart and tell me if you feel like I would hurt you in any way, if you do not believe me, maybe you will believe your own instincts. I mean you no harm." I could hear his retreating footsteps.

I thought about what he had said, I hated the fact that he was right. I felt no hostility from him like I had felt from Phineas all those weeks ago. All that I felt from him was a certain unexplainable unease. The type you would feel if you somehow found yourself face to face with a tiger, no matter how domesticated or friendly it was, your body will still tell you, "that is a wild animal" and that alone will make sure you are alert at all times.