A Thousand Burning Masks

By seventhstar

CHINESE ARYA STARK meets THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA. *A Wattpad Featured story* When everyone wears a mask, wh... More

A Thousand Burning Masks
Characters
PART I - MORTAL
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
PART II - FACECHANGER
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
PART III - HIGH IMMORTAL
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter Fifteen

3.2K 428 124
By seventhstar

"We're not alone. There is greater magic out there; worlds like and unlike our own. There, people could fly, they could breathe fire like our dragons. They're very real. We just need to find a way to get to them."

Otherworldy—Unknown Author

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

No one suspected that their Imperial General was murdered. I removed the blood-stained sheets and threw them into the fireplace. When the night was high and everyone had retired to bed, I disposed of Lord Hua's naked body under the rosegarden behind the Pavilion, but no before I had harvested his face and obtained his jade pendant and Imperial seal.

After changing into a robe I'd found in the wardrobe, I'd climbed down the window with the girl slung around my neck, went down the streets, and woke her up.

Run away, I had said. Never come back to the Jade City.

I gave her the two Golden Credits Hua had so rudely flung at me. The girl was smart; we all had to be in order to survive in the lower tiers of the Erdenese Empire. I didn't know if her family was alive, but anywhere in Erden was safer than the Jade City.

I wished I could do more to help her, but I wasn't Mr. Long. I didn't own a theater, nor did I have more money to give her. I was a prisoner on the run with nothing but a scalpel and human faces in my arsenal. I could only pray that the High Immortals watched after her as she made her way out of the Jade City.

It was hard to keep the smile under control as I carried out my daily duties, knowing that I had the perfect face to wear, one that even the crown prince would never suspect.

I had to be honest, his death was rather poetic. He died a silent death, one where no one would mourn for him. After all, the world assumed his heart was still beating, mulling his way around the Pavilion, drinking with the other Generals and discussing state of war affairs with the Imperials. But what didn't the world know was that a slave girl would wear his face, using his power to enter the most private areas of the Jade Palace on a mission only known to her.

I almost laughed out loud as I stood in a row along with the other girls outside the living quarters where Wang surveyed us, his lips pursed.

"The second prince has grown tired of his playthings," he said. "He wants a new one now."

We bowed our heads. There were ten of us in the line, and several of them had their hands twisted behind their backs, signing fervently to the High Immortals.

"You," he barked at me. "You serve the prince. Make sure he is well-satisfied. I'm not going to be happy if he throws another tantrum."

My thoughts whirled within me. Although I despise having to resort to be a personal slave, it meant one thing—I'd be following him around, tending to his every need. I would be at his side all day and night, granting me the chance to meet and observe the crown prince.

I could use this to my advantage. So, I curtsied. "Yes, sir."

He tossed me a bundle. "Clean up and wear these. Then, report to the second prince's bedchambers."

I hugged the bundle against my chest as I went back into the slave quarters, trying to tame the gnawing sensation in my stomach. The dress Wang had given me was elaborate and embroidered with pink roses. There were even pearl pins to go with the dress.

I slid on the dress, fixed my hair, and wedged my precious bundle between my bare chest and the chemise. The dress' bosom was designed to be puffy, and it hid the small bulge of my scalpel and faces well.

Wang appraised me after I was done.

"Bring him tea as well," he ordered. "He likes tea. Serve him well."

Serve him well.

All men were the same. Balancing a tray holding a steaming cup of tea, I knocked on the twin panes of Bowen's bedchamber with my free hand.

"Your highness," I murmured. "I've brought you tea."

There was no answer.

I knocked again. This time, Bowen called out.

"Come in."

I entered the bedchamber to the sight of Bowen sitting on his bed, naked. I gasped, almost dropping the tray.

Well, he was not exactly naked. He wore a pair of silk pants, but the upper part of his body was there in all its naked glory.

"Your Highness," I said. "Do you need me to find you some clothes?"

Bowen laughed. "In this weather? You must be insane."

My eyes fell upon the numerous empty caskets of wine discarded by his bedside, the plates of unfinished biscuits, and the shredded rose petals on the floor.

This thing was the second prince of Erden.

Bowen's eyes never left me. He scrutinized me from head to toe, then smiled lazily. I automatically crossed my arms across my chest.

He suddenly leaped to his feet, much to my shock, knocked the tray out of my hands, and shoved me toward the wall. The teapot smashed at our feet, porcelain pieces spewing everywhere. Hot tea pooled.

He pinned my hands above my head and leaned in so close, our lips were barely a breath from each other.

I could kill him. I could kill him right here and now. I'd Whisper until he was groveling on the ground like the pathetic thing he was. He had no idea who I was, or what powers I possessed. I-

"A Brass Bell?" he whispered, his voice much gentler than I had expected. "Is this what the Court really equates my worth to?"

He released me, shaking his head in disbelief. He crossed the room, pulled out a drawer, and grabbed a box from its depths.

"Sit," he ordered, gesturing to his bed.

I sat, watching him with narrowed eyes as he lifted the lid and took out a hairpin where a crystal bell dangled from its end. It tinkled softly as Bowen held it up for me to inspect.

He removed the brass bell from my braids and chucked it aside. The hairpin hit the floor with a sharp clink, then skidded into a corner. He was so close to me, I smelt the faint scent of rain-lilies on his clothes.

I remained very still, and I held my breath as he slid the crystal hairpin in the place of the brass bell. He stood back, then stared at me as though he was surveying a work of art. Slowly, hesitantly, my fingers went toward my hair, touching the crystal bell.

I didn't know what this meant. There were only four types of Bells. I'd never seen or heard of a Crystal Bell.

"Where are your thanks?" Bowen asked. "I've just granted you the highest position available to all slaves."

Confused, I slid off the bed and knelt in front of Bowen, pressing my forehead onto the ground. I did nothing notable to deserve the raise, and the Bowen I remembered was not this humble nor did he talk as though he was the most well-educated person in the entire room. Did he grant me the status of a Crystal Bell to prove a point, that he deserved slaves of higher ranks?

"Rise."

To my surprise, warm hands helped me to my feet. I lifted my head. The warm morning rays reflected through the windows and basked Bowen with it. His toned body glowed as though he was oiled, and the light accentuated the gentle curve of his chin. Gold danced in the abyss of his eyes.

I flinched at his touch. For a moment, the shadows of my past resurfaced, but I swallowed them. This was not the time to be consumed by old-Sarna.

Bowen straightened up. "You don't need to be afraid around me," he said. "I'm not Wang, nor am I my brother."

I bowed my head, unsure of what to reply.

"Get ready now. We're going to meet my annoying older brother and my even more annoying little cousin."

He grabbed his robes off the bed and threw them on.

"How do I look?"

If I told him the truth, I'd be beaten. He looked as though he didn't care the slightest of how he presented himself. His crown was lopsided on his head, his clothes rumpled, and his sword was hanging by the barest knot from his belt. His head was tilted to the side, observing me silently.

"You look stunning, your Highness," I replied.

"I encourage my slaves to be honest," he said. "Pray tell if I look silly."

"Does your Highness not trust Qara's words?" I asked in the softest and submissive voice I could muster.

A smile tugged at his lips.

"Qara," he repeated. "That's a beautiful name."

"Thank you, your Highness." I curtsied.

"Grab that package." He pointed at a silk bundle on top of his dresser. "It's my little cousin's birthday. That's his gift, so don't you dare drop it."

I nodded and followed him out of his bedchambers.

The sun was a burning disc in the sky. The beginnings of swear blossomed on my forehead and my underarms. With nothing but a flimsy dress between me and the unforgiving sunrays, I could only bite down on my lips and scurry after Bowen. The High Immortal blood inside me bestowed me enhanced senses to my surroundings—the constant buzz of damselflies, the unbearable heat from above, and the overwhelming smell of roses. But given the current circumstances, my heightened senses were not an advantage.

Bowen strolled up the stone pavement and toward the gazebo built in the middle of the lake. White lotus covered almost the entire pond with their soft flowers and large green pads. More damselflies buzzed as we entered the gazebo where the crown prince and their cousin sat waiting.

At least, the crown prince was. The other visitor couldn't be more than eight years old, and was climbing up and down the wooden stools.

The crown prince was watching the boy throw cakes into the lotus pond with mild interest. Unlike his brother who was clad in rumpled, sky-blue robes, Wulin was garbed in a black robe, darker than the midnight sky. His golden crown of brambles sat on his head, glinting as bright as I remembered. The blackness of his clothes contrasted with the pallor of his skin, bringing out the intense hollows of his cheeks and the high bridge of his nose. He was staring at Bowen, his nose crinkled in the slightest expression of disgust. Bowen didn't seem to notice.

"Has anyone told you it's rude to stare?" Wulin snapped at me.

His voice was cold and steely, like ice shards breaking off from boughs during the winter. His gray eyes were unyielding, superior, frightful even as he stared at me. There was no sliver of warmth in his tone, his eyes, or even in his demeanor. Bowen's shoulders were slouched, his hands reaching for one of the few lotus cakes on the table. Wulin might as well be a porcelain statue with his straight back.

"I'm sorry, your highness." I threw myself on the floor.

"It's your majesty," Wulin corrected me, then turned to Bowen. "Is this girl your new plaything?"

"You're terrorizing her, brother," Bowen said. "To answer your question, she's not my new plaything. I just got irritated at my previous slave. So, I had her arm chopped off. She broke my favorite chess set."

I slowly drew to my feet, keeping my face blank although I was puzzled. The second prince who slid a crystal bell into my hair was gone, replaced by the arrogant bastard I'd met at the teahouse. It was as if he was switching personalities like how one would change clothes.

The crown prince didn't reply, but he stared at the bell in my hair for a moment too long, then returned his attention to his brother.

"Lu!" Bowen said. "Stop throwing cakes into the lake. You're going to kill my fish."

The boy, Lu, screamed and chucked another cake into the water where it landed with a solid splash.

"Can't we just give him back to Lord Bei?" Wulin asked. "He's ruining my mood."

"I want more cake!" Lu screamed again, unable to find another piece since he had thrown all of them into the lake.

"We could've just left him to the slaves," Wulin grumbled, but his voice was drowned by Bowen, who yelled as though Lu was standing several hundred yards away.

"I've got a gift for you! But I'll only give it to you if you stop attempting to murder my fish."

"Gift!" Lu screeched like an owl and plopped down on the seat next to Bowen.

Bowen gestured at the bundle in my arm. I nodded, walked forward, and handed it to him.

"You like archery, don't you?" Bowen smiled. "This is made by the Imperial Weapon Master himself."

Lu tore the bundle apart and lifted a small bow carved in the likeness of a dragon, perfectly made to fit his small hands.

"Oh, don't forget the arrows," Bowen added, nudging another long parcel inside the bundle.

Wulin's expression remained indifferent as he watched Lu run off into the massive garden with his new gifts.

"Do you really think it's a good idea to gift a child bow and arrows, brother?"

"Why not?" Bowen threw back. "Father gave me my first bow when I was six."

"Do you not remember what happened?" Wulin said.

Bowen froze. "The past is in the past, brother. I did not invite you to my court today to only babysit our cousin."

Wulin cast a glance at me. "You're dismissed."

I curtsied and walked down the stone steps, putting a small distance between me and the princes. However, I was still able to pick up their conversation, since Bowen was shouting the entire time.

"Shila is your responsibility," Bowen said. "She's the Imperial Ward, and believe it or not, father will wed her to you. So, be the nice man you are and be her escort for her coming-of-age party."

"I want nothing to do with her." Wulin's voice was cool. "I have far more important things to do than to hang out with a spoiled princess and watch silly lanterns float in the sky."

"I think you two make a perfect match," Bowen said. "You're spoiled, she's spoiled, everyone's spoiled!"

At this, Wulin's voice grew sharper. "Watch your words. You may be my brother, but you're still the second prince, and our bloodlines are different. I hope your mother had the decency to at least teach you manners and the proper ways of small talking. Insulting your crown prince is a crime."

Bowen stopped shouting. "Don't bring my mother into this. You know what father did to her."

"Which surprises me that he still allowed you to stay within the Imperial Palace, after how he had killed the other whores he bedded. Yet, you repay his kindness of letting you live by fooling around, sneaking out of the palace disguised as a commoner, tainting the Kuo family name. Father made you a prince. Act like it."

My attention shifted from the arguing princes to Lu, who was now shooting arrows into a nearby tree. He might be young, but he was a pretty good shot. His arrows never missed its mark.

A plan formed in my head. It was a ridiculous plan, stupid even. But at least it could kill the crown prince. There wouldn't be a need for me to sneak into his bedchambers, nor do I have to change into Lord Hua. This was it.

I reached out and seized the child's mind. I felt ashamed for manipulating a little boy's mind. Wanru was only a few years older than he was, and I had hesitated. But the fact that he was an Imperial broke the moral dilemma. This was my chance—the chance to kill the crown prince and save my theater.

Turn around, I Whispered into Lu's ears. Look at me.

Dazed, Lu turned slowly on the spot and faced me with a blank look on his face.

Aim for the crown prince, I continued to Whisper. Shoot him in the heart.

Lu raised his bow, nocked an arrow, and drew it back.

Wulin's argument with Bowen grew so loud, they were practically shouting.

"Do you really think Shila has Erden's best interest at heart?" Wulin hissed.

Now!

He released the arrow.

Mortals couldn't react as swiftly as a half-Immortal could. I timed the arrow's trajectory, watching it as it whistled through the air, heading straight for the crown prince.

"You think it's stupid?" Wulin whispered. "Slaves are humans too."

"And you think emancipating all the slaves in Erden would earn yourself a good leaf in father's book?" Bowen was shouting back. "That's the most ridiculous idea in the history of ridiculous ideas."

I froze, watching the arrow inch closer toward Wulin's heart. My body reacted before my mind did. I leaped in front of Wulin, just as he turned his head, and took the arrow straight to my right shoulder.

Pain sliced through my flesh, and red erupted in my vision. I allowed myself to fall into Wulin's arms, although the shoulder wound wouldn't jeopardize me. My High Immortal blood healed me two times faster than a regular human.

Wulin fell to his knees and cradled my head. In the distance, I heard Lu shriek in terror, drop the bow, and flee into the building. Through half-closed lids, I saw Bowen hover above me, shock evident on his face.

"I think I'll get the Imperial Physician," he said and ran.

I saw the conflict in Wulin's eyes—he was holding a slave in his arms. He could easily replace me with another. After all, my life was worth less than a Copper Credit. But I know what I'd heard. He wanted to free the slaves, and now, I'd willingly took an arrow for him. Slaves weren't trained to sacrifice themselves for their masters. They were ripped from their families and forcibly placed in courts. If anything, they'd stand and watch the Imperials burn, cheering as the fire rose in all its glory.

Without a word, he rose to his feet, cradling me ever so tightly in his arms, and darted toward Bowen's residential hall. The pain was already fading, but I whimpered out loud, hoping it was convincing enough.

He kicked the door of Bowen's bedroom open, stepped over the discarded wine caskets, and set me down gently on the bed.

He reached for a piece of cloth, but I grabbed his hand, shaking my head.

"Stay still," he said. "The Imperial Physician will be here any second soon."

Footsteps sounded. I angled my head slightly at the door. Bowen and an old woman stepped into the room.

Wulin whirled on his brother. "Your gift to Lu would have struck me if not for this slave."

Bowen shrugged. "How would I know that idiot would shoot you? I'm not a High Immortal."

"Out!" Wulin leaped to his feet. "Leave or I will have you arrested for attempted murder."

"She's just a slave," Bowen said. "It's very unlike you to even touch one, let alone discuss emancipation. You confuse me, brother."

Wulin's hand inched toward his sword—a final warning. Bowen rolled his eyes, snorted softly, and left.

The Imperial Physican knelt down beside me and set her kit on the bed.

"Your Majesty, if I may request that you step out of the room?"

"I want her alive," Wulin said, all emotion vanishing from his face. "If she dies, you die."

The old woman touched the floor with her forehead. "Yes, your Majesty."

Our gaze met one last time before he closed the doors with a bang.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

68.2K 5.5K 49
(The Madison Chronicles #1) WINNER Wattys 2022! Unlock the power of music, magic, and memory. Inspired by 'His Dark Materials' and the 'Mortal Engine...
13.7M 571K 40
This book is FREE with paid BONUS chapters! Everyone knows mermaids and vampires can't date. But when a mermaid ends up at a boarding school with a s...
98K 10.9K 151
An explorer, a princess, a slave and a sword. A belief that the world can be better. The Mechanical Crown is an epic adventure full of intrigue, myst...
436K 24.2K 166
Featured at Wattpad's Editor Picks list. Luna, an overworked Engineer, had an unfortunate end. Her spirit, feeling wronged, fights Death for a second...