The Next to be Taken

By DezWeasel767

Ever wondered why some people are afraid of midnight or always portrays it as a bad time of night? It's for... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Tweleve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty- six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty- Eight
Chapter Twenty- Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty- Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty

Chapter Thirty-Five

468 15 14
By DezWeasel767

I had went through another day of school, touching up on my reading and actually improving pretty well. It defiantly helped for not having any distractions like I did before, always concerned about getting picked on by the bigger kids. It was a good feeling to not have to worry much about that anymore. I wasn't so sure at this point if I was making new friends or if they were just more interested in my life and the giants, the things I have gone through. But either way, I guess it's nice to have some people to talk to even if it is just because of Dash and Kent.

If I did make any friends, I wouldn't exactly call them my best friend or anything. They were just someone to talk to every once in a while. If I had to consider someone a close friend, I would definitely say Riley. At this point, he's more like my brother. When we don't have anything else to do, we always find a way to entertain ourselves. Even if it's just by talking.

But anyways, I was told this morning that Dash and Kent will both be getting us from school, but first they had to touch some things up with the court people. So sadly it will be a little late when they can get us. Well actually, until they can get me! The others can get through the portal just fine, I still haven't figured it out yet! What is the secret? What am I doing wrong? From the little bit I've seen from the others, I don't see what I am doing different. Heck, It's mostly children going through this thing! What do I have to do different? I hate still needing assistance just to cross to the different worlds..

I am told it just takes time, it's something I would get with time, when I get a feel for it. I'm not feeling anything but maybe except my mind freaking out from being launched into the air at these frightening heights.

The bell rang out, signaling for us to be dismissed. I was now leaving my last class. Heading for the exit, just in time to catch up with Kaitlin and Riley.
"Hey!" Riley and Kaitlin both greeted me.

"Hi." I waved, stepping up to the doors.
"Sooo, what's the plan? Dash and Kent are still over at the court. It'll be a little bit until they would actually get to us."

Riley looked to Kaitlin for the answer, but they both seemed unsure, so he turned back to me.
"Well.." he started, thinking over our options.
"I guess we could just cross over." He shrugged with uncertainty.

"What about her? She hasn't learned it yet." Kaitlin tapped his arm, making him look to her.

"Well she did make it through completely by herself one time. When she pulled that stunt to see a cannibal." He returned his gaze back to me.

"Um, yeah. Before smacking into a tree and hitting every branch on the way down." I reminded. "And I don't need to get stuck in a tree in the giant realm."

"Okay," Riley thought about it, looking off to the side like he could find the answer somewhere in the air.
"Do you think she could hold onto one of us to get through?" He asked Kaitlin.

"No," she shook her head. "If she doesn't go through it properly then it'll also throw you out of wack too. It would cause the both of you to get thrown out."

"Great," Riley grumbled sarcastically, rolling his eyes. "Um, should we just wait here until they are done or..-"

They kept trying to come up with ideas for what to do with me. I'm the only one still holding them back. I don't need to make it this complicated.
"Hey, guys." I cut in from their conversation.
They both immediately went quiet to let me talk.
"You guys just go, I'll go wait up by the court house."

"Are you sure?" Kaitlin asked.

"Yeah, it's cool. This don't need to be that complicated. Just, go on through. I'll wait for Dash and Kent to get out and I'll go through with them." I told them, pushing the doors open.

"Really? I'll wait with you." Riley offered.

"Nah, its fine. I'm sure you guys got work to do anyways I'm sure. I don't need to hold you back. Go ahead, I'll see you two shortly."

They exchanged looks with each other then to me. "Alright then," Riley nodded. "I'll see you." They both turned to head for the portal. I turned my back to face the direction of the court house.
Tugging on the straps of my book bag, I began to head up there. I walked right near the Forrest line and the village. So I wasn't in the middle of everything and I could cut right through.

I glanced up when the sun began to be covered up by dark clouds. Looks like it might rain.. great.. I might be sitting out in the rain..
Whatever those two are doing, they better hurry up before it does that. The light had gotten dimmer, the wind was cool.
It was actually nice. Very relaxing to me.
After a little bit, I finally made it to the court house. Going up to the side of the building, I pulled my bag off my shoulder and sat it down on the ground.

I gave a quick scan around the area before sitting down in the grass, leaning up against the wall of the building. The wind blew another gentle, cool breeze over me, it riffled the grass and the leaves high up in the tree. The sky was getting dark with clouds, no more harsh or bright light.
I took a breath, pulling my bag closer to me. I laid my head down onto my bag.
The weather was beginning to make me a little sleepy.

I waited, not so sure what Kent or Dash was doing, but I'm sure they would find me here when they leave.
I closed my eyes for about a minuet to rest them, until I heard the grass rustle as someone walked trough it. Or more than just someone.

I opened my eyes instantly, looking up to who stood in front of me. I was right, there was more than one.
"Hey, Mavis. Old pal." Ryan smiled at me.

Oh no, no, no, no, no, no.

"We have been missing our little friend. Where's your body guards, hm?" He questioned, looking around and staying alert.

"Close." Was all I was able to get out.

"Well, you know how upset it makes us knowing that we can't see you anymore." He came up to me, leaning on the wall. Making me scoot away a little.
"We missed our little play thing." He ruffled up my hair, messing up the position of my hat.
I glared, brushing my hair back and pulling my hat back to its normal position.

"Hey, what's in here?" He took my bag, yanking it open without using the zipper but not necessarily ripping or ruining it.
I jumped up quickly in response to this, trying to grab my bag back but his 'goons' ran up to me, keeping me back and away from him.

He started pulling out books and papers, throwing them over his shoulder and out of the bag, about completely emptying all of the bag's contents out.
"So you're finally going back to school? The high school right here?" He pointed in the direction I had came from.
I didn't answer him, just lightly struggled to pull away from the other boys.

"Man, a shame we don't have any classes together. But maybe I'll see you around." He dropped my bag carelessly to the ground, walking up to me.

I stood firmly when he got right in my face.
"You like it there in school? Making friends?"

I didn't respond, my expression remained the same, hard glare.

"Just thought to wake you up to reality, they will only like you, because of your friends. I can guarantee, the moment they leave you and if you were back out on your own like you were, everyone will only see you for what you really are and always will be, a street rat."
Without warning, I felt his hand come into contact with the side of my face. The impact was so hard that it knocked me off my feet and back onto my butt.

"God, I missed that feeling." Ryan inhaled, standing over me with his group near by. I've seen this too many times before, they were making sure I didn't run or get away from the pain I was most likely going to endure.
"What you think boys? Any of you want a turn with the punching bag before her friends show up?"

"I don't know about that. Wouldn't they like hunt us down?" Keith, one of the boys of the group asked.

"Pfft, they need to catch us first." Ryan almost laughed.

"That doesn't seem so hard." Another voice joined in.
I recognized that voice too well, Kent.
Looking up, he brought himself to the ground. All of the boys began to run away, including Ryan but he was not so lucky. Kent caught the back of his shirt before he got anywhere and held him a few feet up in the air.

"You guys never learn now do you. You need to back off of her." Kent narrowed his eyes and the being that struggled in his grasp. Ryan's expression suddenly changed right back to fear instead of how 'fearless' and confident he was acting a minute ago.

"Whoa whoa, Kent. Put him down." Dash came up next to him, getting at the same level Kent was at, right next to me.

"Did you not see what these bastards did?!" 

"Language.." Dash reminded. "And yes, I'm not happy either. But this is not the way to resolve this." Dash put his hand on his brothers arm, lowering Ryan back down to the ground.

Right when Ryan's feet touched the ground, he attempted to run, but Dash blocked the path with his hand.

Ryan looked up to him, taking a few steps back.

Calmly, Dash spoke. "I understand that you and Mavis does not get along on the best of terms, but there is no need to be treating her this way if she had not done anything to you, and I would defiantly recommend that you leave her alone or-"

"You will have to deal with us." Kent threatened, slamming his fist down near Ryan, cutting off Dash.
Ryan leaped back, but just ended up tripping over his own two feet and falling down to the ground.

"Kent, no." Dash stopped him. "Something would have to be done, such as telling his parents or law enforcement."

"You are really taking the fun out of this and making it lame..." Kent commented, looking now at Dash.

"This isn't suppose to be fun, I'm trying to handle this responsibly."

While that went on, I locked eyes with Ryan. In his eyes, they were filled with shock, a little fear, and uncertainty. He took advantage of the moment, pushing himself back onto his feet and running off. Running back into the city.

Right then, the brothers got themselves back out of their conversation and back to what they were originally doing.
"Hey, where'd he go?" Kent looked around, didn't realize before when he ran off.

I felt my lip start to burn a little, I wiped over the spot with the top of my hand. "What do you think, Kent. You just scared him off after threatening him."
I pulled my hand away from my face but then realized I had a little blood smeared on my hand. Great..

"Well maybe that'll make him leave her alone." Kent commented as Dash stood up.

"Kent, you're not getting it." Dash faced him. "You can't be doing things reckless like that, these people were already unsure of us. Remember how close we were to when we were found out. At first, a lot of people were talking about executing us. They had a vote, we were so close to be put to death. If you do something like that, these people will not hesitate to put an end to us." Dash tried to explain to him, very seriously.

"Yeah, I get it." Kent mumbled.

"Gosh dang, Mavis."
I heard Kent say.
I looked up at the same moment he put his finger under my chin to properly see my face.
"Your lip is bleeding."

From Kent saying that, it made Dash turned his attention to me, looking over Kent's shoulder to see what Kent was talking about.
"I'll tell ya, we can't leave you by yourself. You always find a way to get in trouble." Kent slowly shook his head.

I pushed his finger away. "I didn't go find trouble, trouble came and found me."

"Don't worry, we'll get this all taken care of." Dash got back up, tugged at his jacket, then eyed Kent. "Properly." He added, emphasizing the word.

Kent avoided eye contact with his older brother, looking off to the side.
"I just would have thought those boys would know better. I guess I'm overestimating them." Kent scooped me up in his hands without a warning.

"Some people just don't know how to stop. But we will get this taken care of." Dash said as they started walking to the light pole.
"Now, Mavis." Dash looked to me. "What about the others? Did they go home or are they still waiting for us?"

"They already went on, I'm the only one that stayed behind because..." I shrugged my shoulders up. "Well, I couldn't go through by myself."

"You'll get it, short stack. After a few more times going through, you'll figure it out." Kent told me.

I adjusted my hat on my head. "You know, I have the feeling you're just calling me those nicknames to make me mad."

"Now you're figuring it out?" Kent laughed.

"Oh yeah, keep it up and see what happens." I squinted my eyes at him.

"Whatcha gonna do, shorty?" Kent asked, not seeming intimidated from my little 'threat.'

"Don't look under your bed tonight." I said evilly, almost laughing.
Causing Kent to now look at me like he didn't know what to do.
"Well, now that you put it that way.." He smiled, brushing his blonde hair off to the side.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

280K 5.9K 33
WATTPAD BOOKS EDITION You do magic once, and it sticks to you like glitter glue... When Johnny and his best friend, Alison, pass their summer holid...