Light in the Darkness

By rocky_the_hufflepuff

When Harry and Ron stop talking to Hermione during third year, she turns to her studies to drown out the lone... More

A Brief Note
Chapter 1: A Prankster in the Making
Chapter 2: Quidditch and Revelations
Chapter 3: After the Dog, Wolf, and Rat
Chapter 4: The Quidditch World Cup
Chapter 5: The Ferret Boy
Chapter 6: The Goblet of Fire
Chapter 7: Injustice and Justice
Chapter 8: The Yule Ball
Chapter 9: The Triwizard Cup
Chapter 10: 12 Grimmauld Place
Chapter 11: A Revelation
Chapter 12: Detention With Umbridge
Chapter 13: Meeting at Hog's Head
Chapter 14: The Final Quidditch Match
Chapter 15: To Save Mr. Weasley's Life
Chapter 16: A Trip to Hogsmeade
Chapter 17: Fred and George Weasley Must Not Cause Trouble
Chapter 18: A Present From Sirius
Chapter 19: To Rid Hogwarts of Dolores Umbridge
Chapter 20: Summer Before Sixth Year
Chapter 21: The Problem With Distance
Chapter 22: To Tutor a Malfoy
Chapter 23: Oblivate
Chapter 24: The Fall of the Ministry of Magic
Chapter 25: Headmaster Severus Snape
Chapter 26: A Reputation to Uphold
Chapter 27: Dumbledore's Army, Still Recruiting
Chapter 28: Forgiveness and Chaos
Epilogue

Chapter 29: The End of the War

7.1K 155 146
By rocky_the_hufflepuff

Hermione did not want to wake up. For the first time in months, the bed she was laying on was comfortable and inviting. She couldn't imagine pulling herself out of bed now, not when she was enveloped in such warmth. She didn't want to face Harry and Ron today or the Horcruxes. She just wanted to lie in bed for as long as she could.

And then the events of the day before came rushing back to her. She quickly sat up and looked around. Suffice to say she was no longer in Malfoy Manor. The atmosphere around her was much too inviting to be that cursed place.

Beside her bed, Fred was sitting in a chair. His head was leaning hard on his hands, his arms propped up by his knees. He was sound asleep, and a peaceful expression cascaded across his face.

Hermione smiled a little. She had missed Fred more than she had thought. Their conversations through the two-way mirrors paled in comparison to seeing him in person. She wondered slightly how long he had been sitting beside her. And who had told him where they were?

As if sensing her eyes on him, Fred roused, his eyes immediately looking at her. A smile spread across his face. "Morning, Granger," he said. "'Bout time you woke up. I reckoned you were going to sleep through the rest of the war." Hermione scolded him, but refrained from pointing out that he was also asleep.

"How is Harry?" Hermione wanted to know. Harry was probably feeling frantic about staying at the Shell Cottage, afraid he was putting Bill and Fleur's lives in danger.

"He seems annoyed. He tried to talk to Griphook and Ollivander this morning, but Malfoy said they should rest before Harry interrogates them and instead explain how in the world you three managed to find the Sword of Gryffindor. Don't think Harry much fancies having Malfoy here."

"He saved our lives at the manor," Hermione admitted.

"Yeah, the git was staring at the wall, mortified when George and me came. Reckon he doesn't like helping Harry."

"Or a muggle-born," Hermione added quickly.

Fred glanced to her arm. Currently, it was bandaged in order to cover the disgusting wound. Gently, Hermione reached out her hand to take his. He brought her hand to his lips and kissed it. "How is your super secret mission for Dumbledore going?"

She smiled. "Well, we've managed to stay alive."

"Not exactly the same thing," he murmured. "George and I'll go with you lot if you need us. If you're going to keep ending up in Malfoy Manor, it's the least we can do."

"Believe me, that is the last time we'll be going there." Fred hesitated a little, as though carefully choosing his words. Finally, he shook his head and a smile appeared on his face.

"Well, I'm glad you're alright. Harry wanted to talk to Griphook and Ollivander. You better get up if you want to be a part of his interrogations. Don't suppose you know what he wants with them?" Hermione shook his head.

"Probably to see why You-Know-Who was keeping them around in the first place." She sat up, preparing to leave the bed.

"I was worried about you, Granger," Fred admitted, not meeting her eyes. "And you lot will you be leaving soon again, won't you? And you can't tell us where you're going or what you're doing?"

She sighed and shook her head. "I like listening to Potterwatch," she told him instead. "You, Lee, and George are doing great work." He grinned.

"Come on, love," he answered. "Harry'll be waiting for you."

-----

Neville Longbottom knew the time had come for him to disappear. He had lost his leverage over the Carrows. No longer was his blood worth anything. The Carrows had started using the members of Hogwarts students' families to force the students to listen and obey. But Neville was different from everyone else. His only family was his Gran. And everyone always underestimated his Gran.

She was a little old woman who lived alone, of course, they underestimated the woman. They had sent Dawlish, of all people, to retrieve the woman. She nearly killed the man as she escaped. She was on the run now and Dawlish was still in St. Mungo's. She had written Neville that she was fine and that she was proud of him.

After that, Neville knew he would need to go into hiding as well. The Carrows wouldn't care about much Pureblood they spilled, as long as they received the respect and obedience they desired.

But Neville didn't care. As he had told Seamus repeatedly, Harry would come back. He would return to Hogwarts and rid the school of the Carrows like he and Hermione had done with Umbridge. It was only a matter of time. While he waited for Harry's return, he would do all he could to help the D.A.

And that meant hiding. He wouldn't be helpful if the Carrows tortured him and maybe inevitability kill him. No, he had to be somewhere close by, but also somewhere that the Carrows would never find him.

He was thinking about this as he walked by the corridor of the Room of Requirements. He frowned as he stared at the wall. Perhaps, he could stay in the room, it would give him a place nearby to help with the students. He wanted to find a way in and out of the school, though. He needed to, just in case something might happen.

He took a deep breath and walked into the room. The D.A. would be arriving soon, perhaps Seamus and Michael would know what to do.

Potterwatch was on that night. And with an interesting surprise. Lee Jordan started with his usual monologue which included a greeting to all those listening and a moment of silence for those who had died in the past week. On the bright side, Dean Thomas had been found, as he had said.

But in the stead of Kingsley Shacklebolt's discussion about the treatment of Muggles and Muggle-borns, Lee had a special guest on the show. It was Harry Potter himself! Harry didn't sound particularly thrilled to be on the wireless, like he was worried he would be putting everyone in danger.

"Now, Harry," Lee said, "what have you been doing since You-Know-Who took the Ministry of Magic?" Harry hesitated a moment before answering him.

"I have been in hiding. We've been looking for a way to defeat Vol-You-Know-Who as soon as possible. We're getting closer now."

"Months ago, it was reported that you and those traveling with you had infiltrated the Ministry of Magic. What were you doing there?" Lee inquired.

"There was something there that we needed," Harry stated. "Reckon we created a bigger scene than we meant to, but we were able to help some Muggle-borns escape, so that we good."

"Harry sounds nervous," Seamus commented laughing. "Never get used to the attention, will he?"

"Many Muggle-born families were saved because of you, an example we should all remember when encountering them," Lee continued.

"Most recently," said Fred, "we have heard report that you were held captive in Malfoy Manor." There was a collective groan at Malfoy's name. He hadn't returned from Easter break and no one knew why. Ginny hadn't returned either, but she had sent along a letter telling Neville she was alright.

"Yes," Harry admitted, "it was only by the help of Draco Malfoy that we were able to escape with a few others being held in the cellar."

Even Lee seemed to have grown speechless. No one said anything. Really, they were all too stunned to say anything. Draco Malfoy had helped Harry Potter of all people? "W-well," Lee finally recovered, Neville was almost certain that he could hear Fred and George Weasley laughing in the background. "I think I can speak for many people when I say that we're glad you managed to escape. One final question, Harry, if there's anything you could tell everyone listening right now, what would it be?"

Harry thought for a moment. "I suppose...to keep hoping. We know how to defeat You-Know-Who, we're doing all we can. So, I reckon, don't give up yet. You-Know-Who will be defeated and this war will be over soon."

"Well, thank you for joining us this evening, Harry," Lee finished. "We're running out of time, so keep turning those dials we hope to have a full report for you next week. The next password is 'Chamber of Secrets.' Stay safe."

The room filled with silence. Neville glanced around. He was right. Harry was still out there fighting. You-Know-Who would be gone soon and Neville was glad he had been to help, at Hogwarts, even if it had been a small contribution.

-----

Malfoy was not invited to join Hermione, Ron, and Harry on their exhibition that they weren't telling anyone about. Fred knew Harry was relieved when Tonks and Lupin said Malfoy could stay with them for the time being wasn't sure any of them knew what to do about Malfoy. She was thankful he had helped them, it must have been extremely difficult to turn his back on his family.

Fred watched Hermione leave with Ron, Harry, and the goblin. He wished he had an assurance that she was going to be safe. She was with Harry and Ron, doing who knows what, there was a chance something a lot worse than the word "Mudblood" being engraved on her arm was going to happen.

Fred was glad Harry had agreed to be on Potterwatch the night before. Fred knew Harry's words had done a lot more than any of them knew. Harry didn't know how much hope he gave people. Fred, too, believed an end to the war was coming. And he thoroughly believed Harry Potter was going to save them in the end.

Currently, they were at their Aunt Muriel's with Lee Jordan. Their parents were in the next room talking quietly. George was silent and staring out the window. Angelina and her parents had taken to hiding people from the Death Eaters and Snatchers in their home. During their broadcast the evening before, their Secret Keeper betrayed them and Death Eaters raided the house. Only a few had been able to escape, Angelina among them. She fled, but no one knew where she was.

Fred could only hope. She was alright. From working on Potterwatch, he learned that sometimes it was better not to hear information. No news was good news in a war.

And sometimes, unfortunately, there was nothing they could do to help.

Lee asked Fred if Hermione had told him what they were doing and where they were going. Fred shook his head and smirked. "Reckon I asked her a thousand times, still she wouldn't say."

"Must be used to say 'no'," interjected George. "With Harry and Ron for friends."

As they all laughed, Remus Lupin burst into the room excitedly. "Have you heard?" he exclaimed, drawing the evening edition of the Prophet from his pocket.

"Heard what?" Fred and George said together.

"They broke into Gringotts!"

"Who?" Fred, George, and Lee wanted to know. Remus showed them the article.

"Harry, Ron, and Hermione," he said.

"Have they been captured?" Lee asked eagerly looking through the article.

"No, seems they've done it successfully!" Remus seemed to be beaming with pride. Even though he'd never said so, Fred was certain Remus loved Harry like a son.

"What did they take?" George inquired, stealing the paper from Lee. "If they needed money they could've just asked."

"Must not have been money they were after," Fred said. He took the paper from George's hands. "'Gringotts security has refused to say from where and what has been stolen. If anyone has any information regarding their whereabouts, contact Ministry Officials at once.' It must've been really important. Say, I heard them whispering about Bellatrix Lestrange. D'you reckon they stole from her?"

"But what would they want? Her vaults probably full of items of Dark Magic," Lee reasoned.

"Reckoned it's about their secret mission from Dumbledore," Fred thought aloud.

Before anyone could reply, Ginny entered the room frowning. "What's going on?" she wanted to know. Lee handed her the article. She looked like her eyes were about to pop out.

"We better do a special broadcast of Potterwatch," Lee said hastily. Excitement was filling him. "Tell everyone about what they've done." Fred nodded in agreement.

As they began preparing for Potterwatch, Fred felt the Galleon in his pocket grow hot. Fred couldn't believe his eyes as he stared at the little coin. Harry was in Hogwarts. He was in Hogwarts and the time had finally come.

"Mum, Dad," Ginny called, staring at her own coin. Arthur Weasley turned the coin over in his hand before drawing his wand. "Expecto Patronum," he murmured before sending a message to all those in the Order. It was time.

"What about everyone else?" George said quietly. Fred reckoned he was thinking about Angelina. "How're they going to hear?"

"We're going to tell 'em," stated Fred. "We'll tell them on the very special edition of Potterwatch. We're going to need all the help we can get." He glanced at his mother and father. "You go ahead. We'll meet you there." Mrs. Weasley had a worried expression on her face, but together, with her husband, Apparated away.

-----

In retrospect, Percy wasn't sure he had ever hated his family. He certainly hated working in the Ministry these days. He had stuck by the Ministry through the past few years and was rewarded in his career. But a part of him always knew that the hearings for the Muggle-borns was wrong. These people had done absolutely nothing for the treatment they were given.

He stomached it through claiming that the Ministry was never wrong. Yet, it was slowly killing him. He had heard about Harry Potter, Ron, and Granger being wanted criminals. They were Undesirables. Criminals. It didn't make sense to him. He had known Harry. He was a good person and Granger had a head like his, built for Ministry work. And she hated breaking rules. And Ron...well, Ron was his younger brother. And above all, Ron had his head on right. So, he couldn't find it in himself to agree with the Ministry any longer.

It especially got worse when his father disappeared from work. He had heard about Ginny causing mayhem at Hogwarts. (At the time, he had cursed Fred and George for being her role models.) He had also heard about the lack of management at the school. The Carrows had decided, instead, to use family members to force the students in line. That was about the time his father disappeared from the Ministry.

He had known about Potterwatch for a while, since nearly the beginning of the program. He had considered, on occasion, telling Umbridge or anyone at the Ministry really, about it. But he could never do it. The program was well done and he felt like he knew, for once, what was going on in his own family.

It was through Potterwatch that he learned about the battle that was to take place at Hogwarts soon. Once the program had ended, Percy just stared at the wall, thinking. He should go. He wasn't a coward and he knew the difference between right and wrong. And he needed to fight back. But at the same time, going would mean having to see his family. He would have to surrender his pride and beg for their forgiveness. And for this, he wasn't sure he had enough courage.

He rubbed his face tiredly.

Percy stopped for a moment. He had never noticed he rubbed his face when he was conflicted or thinking hard about something. He had seen his father do it a thousand times growing up. Percy had never realized he had picked it up, too. He sighed. He wasn't sure he was like his father at all. His dad always chose the right path, especially when it was the harder one.

Once he realized this like a bludger to the head, he realized the rest. He had mistakenly thought his father to be a coward. But Arthur Weasley was the furthest a person could be from a coward. He always worked hard to provide for his family. And even though he was a Pureblood, he cared about Muggles was fascinated by them. And when challenged by Lucius Malfoy, he never cowered, but stood his ground unlike the rest of the Ministry workers. But above all else, Mr. Weasley never wavered in his beliefs, never cared what people thought of him. Percy had thought his father a fool because of his inferiority in the Ministry. His dad couldn't possibly know what was best against the Minister of Magic. But Arthur Weasley was wiser than the whole Ministry together. His father may have been the most courageous man to have ever lived and no one knew it.

Percy glanced down at his watch. He had to go. He could face his family. He could ask for forgiveness. This was war. Any of them could be fatally injured or worse. He had to set things right while he could.

Because whether or not he said it aloud, he would gladly give his life for his family.

-----

Snape had wondered when Harry Potter would finally show up to Hogwarts. It was only a matter of time before he would realize that the Dark Lord had used Hogwarts a a hiding place for one of his Horcruxes. And now the boy had arrived and Snape could finally complete his promise to Dumbledore.

In truth, Snape had been scouring the castle, looking for an object the Dark Lord could have used as his Horcrux. But he had been unable to locate the item, much less figure out what it was. He could only hope that potter knew where and what the object was.

It had never been a secret that Snape did not like Harry Potter. The boy looked too much like his father and did not have enough of his mother's personality. Yes, Potter was insufferable, but Snape had made a promise to the man he had murdered. And it was time he fulfilled it. No matter the cost.

Snape began walking around the corridors. Potter was sure to have met with his D.A. friends. Snape even expected the boy to be walking through the corridors in his invisibility cloak. Yet, Snape was surprised to find Potter with Professor McGonagall.

He wasn't sure why he was surprised. He had known Minerva McGonagall for many years. She cared deeply for her students, tried to do all she could to protect them. She stood up for what she believed in. Of course she would be protecting Potter. He knew how this was going to end long before McGonagall dew her wand. And Snape wished deeply that he had been honest with McGonagall.

"Where are the Carrows?" Snape asked her quietly. He had needed to the two idiots to bring Potter to him so that he could fully explain.

"Wherever you told them to be, I expect, Severus," McGonagall murmured. Snape glanced from her to the empty space beside her.

"I was under the impression," Snape continued, "that Alecto had apprehended an intruder."

"Really?" McGonagall said in false surprise. "And what gave you that impression?" Snape uncomfortably thought of his branded left arm. "Oh, but naturally, you Death Eaters have your own private means of communication. I forgot." A pang of guilt was sent through him. One day he would explain everything to Minerva. He could only hope they would return to the friends they once were.

But he pretended he didn't hear her at all. He took a step closer. "I did not know that it was your night to patrol the corridors, Minerva."

"You have some objection?"

"I wonder what could have brought you out of your bed at this hour?"

"I heard a disturbance," claimed McGonagall. Snape knew the truth. McGonagall had been patrolling on her own most nights to save any students she found along the way. She never stopped their antics, only sent them back to bed with a loss of points.

"Really?" Snape muttered. "But all seems calm. Have you seen Harry Potter, Minerva? Because if you have, I must insist-"

Minerva dew her wand quickly. Snape was able to defend himself quickly. She unleashed on him the fury she had been holding since Albus' death. She despised him for what he had done. And she wasn't alone in this. Professor Flitwick and Sprout appeared, determined to help her defeat him.

He was reminded momentarily of the days of three of them had spent in the teacher's lounge or the millions of times they took bets on the end of Quidditch matches. He had always thought of them amicably. And this was the reward of their years together.

Snape fled quickly, knowing he would have to tell Potter the truth some other way.

-----

Neville left the Room of Requirements with Hannah Abbott. He had been posted in the Astronomy Tower with Hannah, Professor Sprout, Angelina Johnson, and a half dozen others. As they walked, Neville was pensive. The Astronomy Tower was the perfect place to throw things down on the attacking Death Eaters. He wasn't sure what they could throw, but anything would work.

He mentioned this to Hannah. "What about mandrakes?" she suggested. "You told me a few weeks ago about how they're fully grown now. They should do something damage to them, right?" He stared at her. She had remembered what he had said in Herbology about a month ago? Maybe Ginny had been right? "Is that a good idea?" she added with uncertainty.

With a sudden burst of courage, Neville pulled Hannah into a passionate kiss. As quickly as the kiss came, it was gone. "Brilliant!" he exclaimed. "And in case we die tonight, I think you should know, I'm mad about you."

Neville scampered quickly down the stairs towards the greenhouses, Hannah running after him. They took anyone they could with them to carry the mandrakes. As they thundered to the greenhouses, Professor Sprout reminded them of the importance of wearing earmuffs. Otherwise, their surprise for the Death Eaters would never make it to them.

Before they entered the greenhouse, Hannah grabbed Neville's arm. "In case we die tonight," she told him quietly and bashfully, "I fancy you, too." A victorious smile crept across Neville's face. He kissed her again. He suddenly felt like he could take on the world.

-----

Fred was surprised to say the least. Percy was staring at their family, his cheeks red with embarrassment. Fred had never felt more proud of his brother than in this moment. Percy had done the right thing for once.

"I was a fool!" he wailed finally, breaking the silence between their family. "I was an idiot! I was pompous prat. I was a-a..."

"Ministry-loving, family-disowning, power-hungry moron," provided Fred generously. Percy swallowed, probably wondering if his family would forgive him.

"Yes, I was!" he admitted. Fred cracked a smile.

"Well, can't say fairer than that!" Fred held his hand out to Percy. Behind him, his mother burst into tears before shoving Fred out of the way to hug Percy. But while his mother nearly strangled him with a hug, Percy looked to his father.

"I'm sorry Dad," he said. Mr. Weasley didn't hesitate at all before enveloping Percy in a hug. And before Fred's eyes, he saw what true forgiveness was.

While the Weasleys were still embracing, another figure entered the room. It was Charlie. With him was Christine and every Muggle-born, Half-blood, and innocent they helped flee the country. "See we're on time," Charlie commented to Christine. Mrs. Weasley burst into tears once more and embraced her son.

Percy was stationed with Fred beside a statue that had once concealed a secret passageway. Fred wondered how many students would learn about Hogwarts hidden passageways and how long it was going to be before these passageways could be used for the proper use again. To help students escape their dreary classes.

"Glad you saw sense, Perce," Fred stated as they prepared for Voldemort's inevitable attack.

"Feels right, Fred," Percy admitted. "Ministry's been punishing innocent people. I couldn't be a part of it any longer." Silence arose between the brothers and it struck Fred that he had never really had a conversation with Percy. He and George were always making-fun-of Percy instead ever listening to him.

Fred wasn't sure what to say to Percy.

"So, what have I missed?" Percy asked, killing the silence. Fred figured his brother felt just as awkward as himself.

"Bill got married," Fred stated. Percy nodded, he had known about that. "George is dating Angelina Johnson. We're still trying to figure out if Charlie and Christine are together. Ron dated for a while before the girl saw sense. Harry and Ginny were together until he decided to save the Wizarding World. And Granger and I have been together for nearly two years now. Oh, and George and I've opened a joke shop."

"I heard all about that," said Percy. "Most of the workers in the Ministry had to buy your shield hats."

"Yeah, the Ministry really is full of morons," Fred observed.

"You and Granger then? I always thought she and Ron were going to be together."

"And here we thought you were smart." Fred shook his head. "She's never liked him that way. And either way, she chose the better brother."

Percy laughed a little, probably feeling relieved to be a member of the family again. Before he could reply, the Death Eaters broke through. Fred raised his wand easily to defend himself, but there were more Death Eaters than the two of them could handle.

Just as he was realizing this, Harry, Ron, and Hermione appeared to help them. He had never been so thankful to see his little brother.

Streams of light shot in every direction. The hood of the man Percy was dueling slipped off revealing the Minister of Magic himself. Fred could have laughed at the irony.

"Hello, Minister!" Percy yelled. He sent a jinx straight. The Minister dropped his wand and fell to the ground. "Did I mention I'm resigning?"

The man Fred was dueling fell to the ground too. He looked to his brother in amazement and glee. "You're joking Perce! You're actually joking, Perce! I don't think I've heard you joke since you were-"

Fred's sentence was interrupted by Percy pushing him out of the way. The air around them exploded and he was thrown far away from Percy, Harry, Ron, and Hermione. Fred pushed his way through the wreckage to Percy. The moron had taken the brunt of it and he had to be okay. He had to.

Percy was lying unmoving on the floor. The wall had collapsed on top of his body. It was supposed to Fred, he realized. Percy had saved Fred's life by giving his own. "Percy!" Fred shouted, shaking Percy's body a little as though this would rouse him. "Percy! No! No! Percy!"

-----

Remus Lupin never expected to be a father. But in retrospect, the happiest day of his life had to be the day of his life was when Dora gave birth to his son. Teddy Lupin. He loved his son and wife more than anything in the world.

It was for them that he went to battle with the rest of the order. He wanted the world they lived in to be a safe one. He wanted the world for his family and he was determined to do all he could to protect his family. He thought of James, willing to protect Lily and Harry at the cost of his own life. Remus wondered if he had the courage needed to do the same.

He was fighting alongside his old friend, Arthur. Dolohov was a more determined opponent than Remus was prepared for. H threw everything he had at the amn. But still Dolohov persisted. From behind him, a jinx hit Dolohov squaring in the chest. The man fell to the ground.

Remus turned to find his wife standing with her wand raised. He sighed. He should have known she would come regardless of what he wanted. "You stubborn woman!" he said affectionately. "What've you done with Teddy?"

"He and Malfoy are with my mother," she stated loudly, aiming her wand at the oncoming attack. Remus looked back at the hastily approaching Death Eaters.

"One of us has to go home to him," he bellowed.

"We'll go home to him together," she yelled back. But Remus knew that if either of them were going back to their son, it would be her. He loved Tonks with everything inside of him. He wanted her to live her life completely. He wanted her to experience everything life had to offer.

She had so much of life ahead of her. He was an old man. He had to protect her. He had to.

The attack was brutal and Remus wasn't entirely sure either of them would make it back to their son. Death Eaters surrounded them completely. Yes, this would be it for them. They couldn't hold back the Death Eaters much longer. "I love you," Tonks shouted to her husband.

"I love you, too, Dora." She tried to reach her hand out to him. But they were too far away from one another.

Just as their hope was lost, Charlie, Christine, and three others raced out to help them. The attackers slowly, one by one, fell to the ground. Remus felt triumphant. Thanks to their helpers, they had managed to fend off the Death Eaters for now. Remus looked over to his wife, a smile on her face.

But Tonks wasn't standing beside him like he'd thought. She was on the ground, her eyes wide opened and unblinking, and her hand was still stretched out to meet his.

Remus fell to the ground. "Dora?" he said quietly. "Please, my love," he begged. But he knew it was futile. His wife was dead. He hadn't been able to protect her.

-----

"You have fought valiantly. Lord Voldemort knows how to value bravery. Yet, you have sustained heavy losses. If you continue to resist me, you will all die, one by one. I do not wish to happen. Every drop of magical blood spilled is a loss and a waste.

"Lord Voldemort is merciful. I command my forces to retreat immediately. You have one hour. Dispose of your dead with dignity. Treat your injured.

"I speak now directly to Harry Potter. You have permitted your friends to die for you rather than face me yourself. I shall wait for one hour in the Forbidden Forest. Yet, at the end of that hour, you have not come to me, have not given yourself up, then battle recommences. This time, Harry Potter, I shall enter the fight myself and I shall find you, and I shall punish every last man, woman, and child who has tried to conceal your from me. One hour."

Fred knew immediately that Harry would try to go to the Forbidden Forest. Harry hated to think anyone would die for him. But everyone there that night knew of the cost and still they fought.

Fred crouched beside his grieving family as they looked at Percy's dead body. Mrs. Weasley ran her fingers through Percy's hair gently, the way she had done when they were little and had bad dreams. The tears flowed freely from Fred's eyes as he stared at the body. They had finally gotten Percy back and now, he was gone forever.

When a hand fell sympathetically onto his shoulder, Fred knew it was Hermione. He placed his own hand on top of hers, but said nothing. A part of him had hoped that his entire family would live through the war. But that was just a dream.

Time stood still for a little while. At last, Fred looked up. Hermione was beside him, trying to comfort him. "He saved my life," he croaked. Hermione nodded.

"I know," she answered.

"I'm not sure I'm worth this," he stated truthfully. How could he ever make his life worth it? How could he ever earn this?

"He was," Hermione said. "He was certain of it."

Fred's eyes flickered across the room. The Great Hall was filled with the dead and injured. In the far corner, Remus was sitting beside Tonks' body, tears rolling uncontrollably down his face.

"I want this to end, Hermione."

"I know. Me, too." It was then that Fred realized Harry wasn't with them. Panic shot through him. He had already lost one brother tonight, he couldn't lose another.

"Where's Harry?" he asked. Hermione glanced around and seemed to have noticed for the first time Harry wasn't with them. "Where's Harry?" he asked again, this time alerting his family to Harry's disappearance. No one could answer him.

"He hasn't gone to You-Know-Who, has he?" George said finally. Mrs. Weasley put her hand over her mouth in terror at the thought.

"I'll find him," Hermione volunteered. "You stay with your family."

Fred didn't have to wait long before Harry was located. Voldemort's voice carried over the battlefield. "The battle is won. You have lost half of your fighters. My Death Eaters outnumber you, and the Boy Who Lived is finished. There must be no more war. Anyone who continues to resist, man, woman, or child, will be slaughtered, as well every member of their family. Come out of the castle now, kneel before me, and you shall be spared. Your parents and children, your brothers and sisters will live and be forgiven, and you will join me in the new world we shall build together."

Fred, along with everyone else, flooded to the entrance hall, if only to see if Voldemort's words were true. That harry was actually dead. And there he was lying in Hagrid's arms.

He refused to believe that Harry was dead. It had to be trick, he decided. A ruse. He never expected to be right, though. He just didn't want to believe Harry was dead. And yet, through the chaos, Harry disappeared beneath his invisibility cloak.

Revived, Fred fought back against the Death Eaters with everything inside of him. This war was going to end tonight. They would prevail. They had to.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

43.6K 228 8
Y/n gets kidnapped from a mafia boss which also turns out to be the CEO of a very successful company The CEO and y/n get a little spicy Y/n and The...
235K 5.4K 73
๐™ผ๐™ฐ๐š๐™ฐ๐š„๐™ณ๐™ด๐š๐š‚ ๐šƒ๐š๐™ฐ๐š…๐™ด๐™ป ๐šƒ๐™พ ๐šƒ๐™ท๐™ด ๐™ถ๐™พ๐™ป๐™ณ๐™ด๐™ฝ ๐šƒ๐š๐™ธ๐™พ ๐™ด๐š๐™ฐ... COMPLETED HBP-DH2 What happens after an accident involving ancient and po...
2.5K 153 25
palagi (adv.) is a tagalog word for always; meaning at all times or constant. seungcheol + chan 01.14.2021-??.??.2021
18.6K 629 12
disยทsoยทnance /หˆdisษ™nษ™ns/ [noun] MUSIC a tension or clash resulting from the combination of two disharmonious or unsuitable elements. This is a RoTTMN...