Angel of Darkness (DARKNESS #...

By Ariajadewrites

(Book One in the Darkness Series) Long ago, in a small town called Asteaia, a baby - very different from any... More

Introduction
Epigraph
Prelude I
Prelude II
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
X
XI
XII
XIV
XVI
XVII
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty

XIII

2.8K 160 6
By Ariajadewrites

EDITOR WARNING: THIS CHAPTER HAS NOT BEEN EDITED SINCE FIRST DRAFT (2017). MAJOR PLOTHOLES OR INCONSISTENCIES

Adrienne wandered through the dark forest, stumbling quite a bit. Tears flooding through her eyes, she saw a bit of light peeking through the thick lush trees up ahead. Hurrying towards it, Adrienne fell. In the process, ripping her expensive dress and stockings.

Quickly standing up and hobbling to the clearance, Adrienne sat herself apon and log and began to sob loudly.

"My family's ashamed of me. I'm a terrible daughter and sister" Adrienne thought to herself, desperately trying to sooth her tears. She recalled what her father had said about her. "She's been a disappointment ever since she was born".

Adrienne had always felt isolated from her family, but now she felt more alone than ever before. She felt the salty tears roll down her plump cheeks and onto the forest floor.

An angelic voice echoed through the forest, sounding like it was above her.

"Hello?" She asked aloud. She wasn't answered, but the angelic voice continued. Craning her head to search in the shadows, she didn't see anything .

The sweet melody of the song from the mysterious voice soothed Adrienne as she stopped crying. She listened to the beautiful words as it brought a sense of peace and tranquillity over her.

"It must be an angel" Adrienne thought to herself, still intently listening to the song as happiness slowly filled her. After the beautiful voice stopped, there was silence. "You must be my guardian angel" Adrienne said softly.

There was no answer. She looked around once more, until it finally stuck her that she was very lost. "Angel, can you help me? I'm lost." She asked the voice, hoping it was still there.

The singing began again, only it began to sound father and farther away. Adrienne stumbled after the voice. "Wait Angel! Please don't leave me I-I" She stammered, following the sound of the voice carefully through the forest.

She was barely able to see in front of her if it weren't for the slim cracks between the tree's lush canopy. Catching her foot on a root, Adrienne almost fell to the forest floor.

But just before her head could hit the ground, a strong pair of arms came out of the darkness, caught her and gently set her back on her feet. "Thank you Angel" she murmured softly once the black clothed arms retracted from around her. She couldn't see what the angel looked like at all.

The angel had stopped singing, and Adrienne could barely make out black clothed hand reaching out toward her. Cautiously, Adrienne slipped her tiny, cold hand into the larger black-clothed one. The hand closed around her tiny one and the angel began singing again.

Adrienne felt the angel lead her through the forest as she hummed softly along with the voice, soaking up the beautiful melody and words.

She began to shiver again, despite her wearing the cloak she had grabbed earlier. Still shivering, Adrienne felt something heavy and warm wrap around her shoulders. Touching the material, she felt it to be velvety and warm.

"Thank you again Angel" Adrienne said smiling. The wonderful angel must have felt her shivering. She felt gratitude and happiness bubble up in her chest, she had done nothing yet this angel had soothed her and was helping her.  The voice continued as they walked through the large forest, approaching a clearing up

Adrienne could make out the houses. She felt much warmer now. Stepping towards the edge of the woods, the voice stopped. "Thank you for everything Angel" Adrienne quickly murmured, as she felt the large hand slowly release hers.

"You had no reason to help me, but you did anyways. For that I will be forever grateful" Adrienne thanked using her politest manners as she slowly walked into the streets of Asteaia.

~

Erebus stood in the shadows, watching the little girl go.

An angel...

She had called him an angel. He'd been called many things in his life, but an angel was never one of them.

He had been playing the piano in his chambers when the wind wafted through the room. A unusual scent wafted through the air that he quickly picked up on due to his enhanced senses. Erebus had decided to carefully assess the threat. After all, he would rather die again than let his people, his family, be hurt.

How surprised was he to find a tiny human girl, alone and sobbing in the woods. Something about her reminded of himself, as she sat crying on a log, her small form shaking.  He had sung a soft lullaby, one from the fairytale book he used to love. It seemed to sooth the girl, as she stopped crying.

But then, she called him an angel.

Erebus couldn't get over it. He was a king, a monster, a beast.  But he wasn't an angel. The little girl even innocently followed him, so trustingly. Erebus made sure to stay hidden in the shadows, for if she saw him, she'd surely be afraid.

She'd been so lost, which made Erebus wonder how'd she had gotten so far from the town in the first place. Sighing, Erebus ran his hand over his face, only to feel his scar had returned. 

As he ran back to his castle, memories flashed through his head. Many memories that he'd love to forget. But he couldn't forget the little girl and how he was her "angel".

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Death In The Family By Yams

Mystery / Thriller

671 72 30
BOOK TWO Simone has survived a life ruined by her father's experiments in conditioning her mind to suit his sadistic will, but can she survive withou...
721 90 13
Lives are intertwined, Hearts are broken, Pasts are haunted and vows are made. But when the intertwined lives meet will they let each other go? When...
57 9 18
People accumulate all their thoughts and they end up creating this warped version of themselves. In this world, this usually warped mindset can lead...
2K 148 23
Valdis must navigate the world after her brothers death leaving her bonded to his four friends. She must fight dark forces, a corrupt Kingdom's way o...