Dark Queen

By zero-infinity

|| WATTPAD FEATURED STORY || || WATTY'S 2018 SHORTLISTED || Zora was only a little girl when her mother raked... More

Author's Note
Guide to Foreign Words
i.
ii.
iii.
iv.
v.
vi.
vii.
viii.
ix.
x.
xi.
xii.
xiii.
xiv.
xv.
xvi.
xvii.
xviii.
xix.
xxi.
xxii.
xxiii.
xxiv.
xxv.
xxvi.
Dark Queen Featured!
xxvii.
xxviii.
xxix.
100K Giveaway WINNERS!
xxx.

xx.

5.3K 417 192
By zero-infinity

     Jurauk didn't know exactly what he was looking for. He'd surreptitiously landed in a bale of hay, and when he was sure no eyes were turned his way, he'd tumbled into an alley. Now he walked the streets, taking care to keep his mouth closed.

His senses were going into overdrive. Everything smelled wonderful, and not just the baker's pies. Several times, he was tempted to snatch young children from their unsuspecting mothers' hands, but he could only imagine the look Zora would give him.

For some reason, he didn't want her to make that face. It wasn't appealing for her brow. So Jurauk settled for scouting out the alleys for any suspicious actions.

It wasn't hard to find a criminal. Filth like them cluttered the dark allies. He let go his first victim: a scrawny boy who'd only stolen a handful of bronze coins. But the next man he came across wasn't so lucky.

Jurauk was strolling by one backstreet when his keen eyes caught movement. He paused, debating about entering. Shrugging, he kept to the brick wall, moving as smoothly as a panther.

The average human would not be able to see in the darkness, but Jurauk's Nefari eyes were designed to take in as much light as possible. A man with a dark, scraggly beard had a woman up against the wall. Blood dripped from her nose, staining her golden hair, and her sobs were muffled by the man's thick, gloved hand.

His other hand was lazily unbuttoning the front of her dress, as if he had all the time in the world. Wide brown eyes met Jurauk's own. The Nefari held a finger to his lips as he drew closer.

Jurauk purposefully bumped into the human male, jerking his elbow into his nose. "Oops, sorry," he said, feigning surprise. "Didn't see you there." The too-be rapist clutched his nose, face reddening. Jurauk had hit it hard enough to dislocate it.

"Didn't see me, eh?" Furious, the man let go of the poor lady and took a swing at Jurauk. Cackling, he leapt back, easily dodging the punch.

"C 'mon. You can do so much better." As the man dashed for him, Jurauk sidestepped and stuck out a leg, tripping him. Go, he mouthed to the woman, who didn't need to be told twice. She whipped around and bolted for the exit.

"Get back here!" shouted the man as he tried to rise.

"Not so fast." Jurauk stomped one foot onto his chest and pressed the other into a hand. Finally, he let show the two fangs that ached to sink into flesh. The human's eyes bulged and before he could scream for help, Jurauk ended him.

It was a good thing nobody in their right mind checked shady alleys. If an unfortunate soul had done so right then, they would have heard crunching and dripping.

After a while of crouching, Jurauk stood and stretched. He wiped away any bloody residue lingering at his mouth. After being etiolated for so long, the energy thrumming through his body was rejuvenating.

Even though the neck had been delicious, Jurauk couldn't help but make a face at the odd aftertaste. What the hell had this guy been on? Hopefully the effects of the drugs would not pass onto himself.

Jurauk gathered up the gleaming bones and inedible parts and tosses them into the trash. It would not be terribly uncommon for someone to uncover them; murder still ran rampant in poor sectors.

As he emerged from the alley, he thought about his current situation. How ironic, that the prey would save the predator. The human girl was fascinating. She had an endless supply of snarky comments.

Despite being out in the wilderness, Zora looked more stunning than any of the female Nefari who spent hours in front of their vanity.

Jurauk blinked, stopping in his tracks. What?

Must be her smell that made her more appealing.

Thinking about food made him feel guilty. He had just eaten a full meal while she waited beyond the walls, not having eaten for a while. Jurauk scanned the busy marketplace, catching sight of a stall filled with freshly baked bread.

He rarely ate bread, but even he admitted it smelled good. Sauntering up to the vendor, he pointed at the largest loaf. "Give me that one."

The girl manning the stand frowned. "Five coppers."

Jurauk wanted to smack himself. Stupid, spoiled prince. He didn't even have money on him, much less the preferred human currency. Putting on his best smile he pleaded, "I haven't got any money. Would you be so kind as to spare me some bread?"

He saw her waver, but then steel flashed in her cold eyes. "Nice try, boy, but I spend hours making these loaves. Get some money and come back."

Juruak quickly gauged the distance between himself and the wall. Only a few hundred yards. "Sorry," he said before snatching up the bread and dashing away.

He heard her shout, "Thief!" Then the heavy footsteps and clanking of armor. He swore when a bolt of blue light flashed by, singing the fabric of his sleeve.

"The hell?" he yelled. The humans had magic, something that had been lost to all creatures years before? Slipping out one talon, he sliced the throat of a cow and shoved it in the baker girl's direction. "For your bread!"

The farmer began to complain, raising his pitchfork.

"Stop!" A wizened little woman who looked old enough to have been born a century ago raised what looked like a staff carved from wood. A jewel as big as a child's fist hovered at the tip. She muttered something beneath her breath, and a hum filled the air.

Jurauk reached the wall, turning to face his oppressors. "Jeez," he grumbled, "it's just one loaf of bread!"

"A crime is a crime," stated the witch as she waved her gnarled staff above her head. "And crimes are to be punished severely."

Every cell in his body screamed Danger! Jurauk couldn't stay longer. Gathering up his inhuman strength, he leapt up the wall, ignoring the gasps from the onlookers. Stuffing the bread inside his shirt, he climbed, talons out for all to see.

Disbelieved cries of rose up.

"Nefari!"

"Monster!"

"Cheese!"

Jurauk was confused by the last remark, but he didn't dwell on it forever. Just as he reached the top, there was a blast of wind from behind, shoving him over the edge. The air was hotter than a furnace.

But the brunt of the magic had missed him. He landed hard in the grass, rolled, and scooted away, gaze focused on the blue afterglow. Hopefully, the humans would not be stupid enough to come for him beyond the walls.

Zora was waiting for him by the edge of the forest. "What in blazes just happened?" she demanded.

Jurauk tossed her the loaf from his shirt and slumped against a tree trunk. "Bread," he responded dully. "I'm never getting food for you again."

I probably made a lot of mistakes in this chapter because I essentially typed it all up in one day, but whatever XD HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!! It's officially 2018. I hope everyone had a great 2017. If not, look forward to this year.

Discussion Questions: What's the big deal with magic? Why was it thought to have been eradicated?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

290 2 15
(*PLEASE VOTE AND COMMENT*) Zora's parents knew she was powerful the day she was born. She almost innocently killed her cousin before she was even a...
14.6K 1K 82
"This bounty is mine, Xander," He said. It was the first time I ever heard his name. Xander smirked, "Kill me first, then take her." He proposed arr...
785 59 27
WARNING: THIS STORY CONTAINS SCENES THAT SOME MAY FIND TRIGGERING. UPDATE: SUNDAY HEADS UP: I associate music a lot with writing. One I can do, the o...
19.4K 174 33
!!!!THIS BOOK IS DISCONTINUED DUE TO LOSS OF INTEREST IN THE DSMP. THANK YOU.!!!! "ⁱ'ᡐ ᡗʰᡉ αΆœα΅’α΅˜Κ³α΅— ʲᡉ˒ᡗᡉʳ α΅ƒβΏα΅ˆ ᡐʸ ʲᡒᡇ ⁱ˒ α΅—α΅’ ᡉⁿᡗᡉʳᡗᡃⁱⁿ...π˜πŽπ”." That's...