The Demon Of The Night [OUTDA...

By MaskedParkers

After a series of brutal murders occur and men begin disappearing around Gotham City, Barbara Gordon begins h... More

Important! Please read!
Dionaea Muscipula
Darlingtonia Californica
Drosera Rotundifolia
Cephalotus Follicularis
Drosera Capensis
Sarracenia Leucophylla
Pinguicula Vulgaris
Nepenthes Ventricosa
Aldrovanda Vesiculosa
Sarracenia Flava
Nepenthes Ampullaria
Drosera Spatulata
Utricularia Sandersonii
Nepenthes Rafflesiana
Drosera Binata
Nepenthes Bicalcarata
Utricularia Bifida
Nepenthes Alata
Drosera Adelae
Nepenthes lowii
Nepenthes Rajah
Sarracenia Psittacina
Nepenthes Truncata
Drosera Anglica
Drosera Aliciae
Drosera Filiformis
Drosera Burmannii
Nepenthes Mirabilis
Sarracenia Oreophila
Nepenthes Spathulata
Drosera Intermedia
Nepenthes Maxima
Nepenthes Albomarginata
Nepenthes Khasiana
Nepenthes Villosa
Utricularia Vulgaris
Sarracenia Alata
Sarracenia Minor
Drosera Regia
Drosera Peltata
Pinguicula Moranensis
Pinguicula Grandiflora
Nepenthes Sanguinea

Sarracenia Purpurea

127 12 0
By MaskedParkers

Barbara gazed out the window, barely listening to what the teacher had to say. Instead, she thought about what had happened the previous week as her fingers glided over the stitch that had yet to fall out.

She never let anyone else see it. She would either use her long, orange hair to hide it or wrap a scarf securely around her neck. She knew if she were to catch a glimpse of it she would immediately break down like she did last night. After taking a bath, she had finally seen the ugly stitch she had been trying so hard to avoid. The memory of being within an inch of having her throat cut and much worse happening to her in that alley was just too much.

She staggered over to the bathtub, steadying herself against it as she began to sob. Her tears fell into the tub as she cried over it. Swallowing down the bile that was rising up in her throat, she finally gave up the attempt to hold herself up and let herself sink down. She stifled her cries with her hand, ensuring her dad would not hear her from downstairs.

The inner voice in her head began to taunt her, calling her a failure, a screw-up, an idiot, a child, and a naïve schoolgirl.

This voice sounded a lot like Bruce Wayne's.

Barbara sighed in remembrance, forgetting where she currently was. The girls around her turned to look, but Barbara paid no mind to their puzzled glances.

~

The past week went just as her dad ordered, attending school and going to the library on weekends. Much to Barbara's gratitude, an officer had only checked up on her once.

And that officer had been none other than Officer Bard.

"Well, at least today is Friday." Barbara mused as she walked to the trolley stop. "I can be free for at least a while."

On the trolley, she sat alone, thinking about what had happened that night. Her mind was filled with several questions. Who was the woman that came to her aid? What happened to her attacker? Why was Mr. Wayne such a jerk? What happened to Richard? And most importantly, were the disappearances and murders linked and how?

Getting off the trolley, Barbara looked at the nearby newspaper stand, reading the headline about the most recent missing man. He went missing just this week and nothing more was found of him. Barbara wondered if those who disappeared faced worse fates than those who had been found.

As Barbara continued her walk to the library, she told herself to remember to get the clipping from the newspaper at home since she forgot to cut it this morning.

"I guess this is my life now," she sighed. "Cutting out newspaper clippings as a wannabe detective while disappointing my father!" Barbara giggled at her melodramatic exclamation, knowing it to be an exaggeration. However, she did want to go out somewhere besides the same two places. Halloween was fast approaching and she did not want to be stuck inside on the night of October 31st.

"Barbara!" Mrs. Kringle greeted, opening the door for Barbara.

"Hi, Mrs. Kringle." Barbara smiled back. "How are you today?"

"Oh, I'm quite alright. It's been a slow day and I doubt that will change tonight. How was your day?"

"Perfectly ordinary. My life is stuck in a routine. Or has been for a while," Barbara replied as they both walked in together.

"I'm sorry to hear that, but I understand. At your age, life should be exciting. I felt the same way when I was your age." Mrs. Kringle paused in front of the front desk. "Well, I'll be shelving books while you sit here."

"Are-Are you sure? I can-"

"I'm almost done, honey," The older woman reassured. "I've had you stacking, shelving and organizing books so much that you've never worked the circulation desk before."

"Yes, ma'am." Barbara went over to the desk, listening intently as Mrs. Kringle explained what to do.

"If you have any problems, just come for me." Mrs. Kringle took her leave while Barbara sat there waiting.

The evening was indeed slow. Hardly anyone came into the library, only some college students for research.

So in the meantime, Barbara kept herself occupied by reading a detective novel. She enjoyed reading these types of novels because they kept her guessing and theorizing. Not only that, but she believed they helped her improve her detective skills.

She was nearing the end of her novel when a voice said, "I'd like to check out this book please."

Barbara quickly shut her book, looking up in embarrassment. Gazing down at her was a smiling Richard, who slid a book titled Lolita towards her.

"I'm sorry. I didn't hear you walk in." Barbara adjusted her glasses, taking his book in her hand to circulate it. "Will that be all for you, Richard?"

"I haven't seen you in a while and that's all you can say?" Richard leaned in closer, never losing his smile.

"Well, I-I- What was with your father?" Barbara suddenly demanded. "He was unbelievably rude."

"Oh, him. Don't worry about Bruce. He's always been a brooding and emotionally-distant person. I wouldn't take offense," he assured her.

"Well, he sounds like father of the year," Barbara mumbled, causing Richard to laugh.

"Say, since you asked, I also wanted to invite you to the Gotham Halloween Masquerade Ball." He grinned.

"Here's your book. Have a great evening," Barbara handed the book over to him.

"Hey, did you hear me? I said-"

"I heard what you said. But I wouldn't be able to go. In fact, I'm only allowed to come here and to school." Barbara frowned.

"Oh, I completely understand. For a long time, Bruce never let me leave the Manor. But I was recently able to convince otherwise," Richard said. "Why not just talk to your dad?"

"Are you kidding?" Barbara raised her eyebrow. "After what happened-" She paused, not wanting to talk about that night right now. "I'm sure you'll find someone else with no problem."

"Oh, c'mon, Barbara," he urged. "Gotham's elite throws this massive ball and this year it's going to be held at the Natural History Museum. Bruce is responsible this year-"

"Now I really don't want to go." Barbara spun around in the swivel chair.

"It'll be amazing. I've personally never have been to one, but Bruce is letting me come!" Richard beamed. "It's only proper I invite a date."

"I don't think you understand. I would have to sneak out-"

"So be it! It will be worth your while," Richard persisted. "Will you come with me?"

"If my father doesn't murder me, then Bruce just might." Barbara finally relented, unable to refuse his eager face any longer. "So you better hope this masquerade is worth it."

"I guarantee it will be." Richard's eyes gleamed brightly. "Oh, it will be at eight and you have to wear a mask."

"I know that! It's called a masquerade for a reason." Barbara rolled her eyes.

"I mean, a nice mask and gown," he emphasized. "You get my drift?"

"Now, I really doubt I can go. I am not a billionaire's child. I don't have that money to spend."

"A store that has fine quality for a good price is Lacey's. They might even be having a sale." Richard winked.

Barbara hesitated. "Fine, I'll look into it."

"I look forward to it, Barbara. See you then." Richard backed out of the library, leaving a flustered Barbara Gordon behind.

~

On the 30th, Barbara committed a great sin. She missed going to volunteer at the library and went to the department store instead.

"Oh, boy." Barbara studied the price of a mask, carefully placing the item back. "To the clearance section it is then."

Once there, she spent several minutes unable to find anything that interested her. Every dress or mask was either too plain or too gaudy.

But she knew she needed to get something since this would be the best place for her in both price and quality. So she settled for one of the cheaper masks and dresses. The black mask went well with her glasses. As for the dress, it went as well as it could.

"Barbara?" A voice called to her as she emerged from the dressing room.

The girl froze, knowing this voice belonged to a woman.

A woman by the name of Sarah Essen.

"Ms. Essen." Barbara forced a smile as the woman approached. "What are you doing here?"

"Oh, just shopping around for something for the masquerade." Sarah returned a smile.

"You will... be attending?" Barbara asked slowly.

"Yes." Sarah nodded. "Are you?"

"Uh, no. No, I'm just here looking around. See if there's anything on sale."

"Oh, well I'm sure you'll find something. I already have more than I need." Sarah lifted up the dresses she held. "Which I should try on. It was good seeing you again, Barbara. Take care."

The woman left towards the dressing rooms while Barbara stayed motionless in place. She let her smile slowly contort into a frown before marching towards the cashier.

"Just these items." Barbara unlatched her satchel for her money.

"You wouldn't happen to be Barbara Gordon, would you?" The sales clerk asked.

She paused, seeing that the sales clerk was studying her. "Um, yes. I am. Why?"

"Oh, I've been trying to match your description to every woman that walked in here all day. Luckily, there aren't many redheads in this city."

"Wait, description? I don't quite understand-"

"A young man came in here last night and purchased this for you." The salesclerk pulled out a large, gift-wrapped box. "He said to give it to a young lady with orange hair, green eyes, and small height. He said she'd be Commissioner Gordon's daughter."

"D-Did he give you his name?" Barbara took the box into her quivering arms.

"No, just gave me the money and description. He was quite a handsome boy. Black hair and deep blue eyes. You must really be special to him." The woman winked.

"Yeah." She nodded, starting to unwrap the gift.

Barbara could barely contain her smile as she read the note that was placed inside the box.

'I hope you like it. I had trouble guessing your size.

~ R

P.S. I'll be the guy in the half-mask.'

Under the note was a beautiful dark purple ball gown with a whole black mask to match with it.

"Very special indeed." Barbara smirked, examining the gown with much delight.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3K 131 8
One dark night, Prince Bruce's parents were attacked by a mad sorcerer leaving only the young prince alive. With the responsibility of the kingdom th...
3.2K 157 13
Gotham ... a city of darkness, a city of madness, a city of death. Around each corner a new threat lurks and danger can hit closer to home than many...
Gotham By Karli

Fanfiction

6.7K 237 21
Can you ever really 'start fresh'? I mean, you can try. You can change your name, move halfway across the country. But the things you did are still w...
8K 243 22
Gotham: A crime ridden city filled with Villains and Hero's. Most who dream of obtaining powered would live to become the latter. But what happens wh...