My Best Friend's Heart (Girlx...

By CSwartz

Kathryn and Natalie have been friends for at least five years. They work together where Kathryn is an account... More

My Best Friend's Heart (GirlxGirl)
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Author's note
Chapter 3
Chapter 4- Parts I and II
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16- The Dinner: Part One
Chapter 17- The Dinner: Part Two
Chapter 18- The Dinner: Part Three
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Epilogue

Chapter 11

14.9K 348 10
By CSwartz

Chapter 11

        It took several months for the house to be built and another couple of months to get the livestock needed to make some profit. Their house was two stories and a wrap-around porch decorated the outside. The barn and stables were just a short walk away.

        Luke's small cabin was a fifteen minute drive away because he claimed to want privacy but they knew it was because he wanted to stay away from Caleb. Kathryn and Natalie chose Caleb to be their lawyer.  

        Natalie and Kathryn settled into their new life, but not without struggles. It took a while to find ranch hands who would work for them and when they found one he told everyone else. Word spread that they were the respectful and worked the ranch as hard as the hands. They didn't care because working made them happy.  

        Luke sat on his horse watching over the cattle. He just put them in the corral when he heard a vehicle approach. He glanced over his shoulder and saw that it was Caleb's Chevy. He felt his muscles bunch up, getting tense. Caleb found it easier date now that working on the ranch as foreman built up his muscles. He was no longer that boy from a few months ago. He pulled his hat down over his face and moved his horse forward, pulling away from the fence toward the next pasture near the cows. He didn't see the look on Caleb's face.

        "Caleb. We weren't expecting you today. Why do we get to see such a handsome man on a sunny Monday morning?" 

        Caleb turned to look at Natalie. He grinned at her. He knew that her friendliness wasn't flirting because he could see how in love that her and Kathryn were. 

        "Well, pretty lady, I came to check up on them here weddin' plans, I reckon." 

        Natalie cackled at his impression. He was always one to make everybody laugh. She was happy that they became friends. It took her a while to warm up to him after Kathryn explained that they had dated in high school for a week. Kathryn explained it was like dating her brother. Natalie, after much agitation and provoking, agreed with Kathryn. It would be weird to date him. If she didn't have Kathryn and she were attracted to him, Natalie wouldn't jump at that eye candy because, no matter what Luke said, Luke still loved Caleb. 

        When Caleb pulled up, she saw that Luke noticed and she saw that he purposefully turned away. She also knew that Caleb saw it too. Despite her close friendship with Luke, she grew to have a friendship with Caleb.  

         Caleb's eyes gave his emotions away. She saw the pain that flashed through his eyest.  

        "Caleb. I know that you like-" 

        He stopped her with his hand. 

        "Please don't finish that sentence, Nat. It doesn't need to be said, okay? He hates me now and nothing will or could change that. Besides, you know as well as I do that he puts a new notch on his bedpost each night. He doesn't need me." 

        All she could do was watch helplessly. All she wanted was her friends to be happy. 

        "Now let's go inside and finish planning this wedding." 

        Caleb's eyes were filled with sadness but his smile showed his gratefulness at the change in conversation. They went inside and followed the hallway all the way back into the kitchen.  

        Their cook, Martha, was there roasting a chicken and mashing potatoes. She turned from the stove to see who was there and saw Caleb. With one glance, the matronly woman wiped her hands on her apron and walked over to give him a hug. Caleb held on like she was his lifeline. In many ways she was. Martha turned into the mother that Caleb never had and Natalie was glad for it.  

        They sat at the kitchen table pouring over the wedding plans and pictures. They found the perfect spot by the willow tree to have the ceremony at. They would set up chairs in rows. Natalie and Kathryn would both wear dresses. Natalie and Caleb were still looking over the plans when Kathryn came in the back door. They looked at each other and their love filled the room. Caleb felt like he was being smothered in it.  

        "Ladies, I think that is my cue to leave." 

        They half-heartedly protested because they wanted alone time but they didn't want Caleb to feel left out or lonely.  

        "Don't worry about it. I'm going to go home and work. I have a hearing pretty soon that I need to prepare for anyway. As always ladies, it was lovely hanging out with you."  

        Caleb took his leave. He walked briskly down the hallway and out the front door. He stopped on the porch and closed his eyes, taking a deep breath as he did so. He didn't see anyone approach him and when he opened his eyes and saw Kevin.  

        "Kevin. I didn't hear you . How are you?" 

        "Not much. I just wanted to know if you want to get a drink." 

        Caleb blinked, taken by surprise. If he didn't know any better, it sounded like he was asking him out. 

         "I can't, Kevin. I have to study my notes for this hearing comin' up." 

        Kevin smirked and stepped closer, his feet touching Caleb's. His hand went up to caress Caleb's cheek. Caleb's eyes widened and he gasped. 

        "Caleb I-" 

        Kevin sighed and backed away. 

        "I'll walk you to your car." 

         They walked silently to Caleb's truck, the only noise were the animals and footsteps. It got dark quicker than he thought it would and all they had to lead them were the lights from the house. Caleb reached his door and unlocked it but before he could get inside he was pushed against the jeep roughly. 

        He lifted his head, ready to yell at Kevin but he found lips shoved against his. He struggled. His arms pushed against Kevin's chest but he was no match for the man that could wrestle cow to the ground. He flinched when he felt Kevin's fingers wrap around his wrist and hold it against the truck above his head. The last thing he felt before Kevin was ripped from him was a hand harshly gripping his ass.  

        Caleb wrapped his arms around himself and closed his eyes tight. Gritting his teeth, he fell to the ground. He felt arms wrap around him and he flinched away, only to have the arms pull him against the hard chest. Caleb struggled to regulate his breathing and after five or so minutes he didn't feel like passing out anymore. 

        He looked up and his eyes widened with chock.  

        Luke was holding him, his head resting on Caleb's. His eyes were closed and he looked like he was in pain. 

        "Luke." 

        He opened his eyes and looked down at Caleb. 

        "Caleb. I'm sorry that happened to you." 

        "Don't be. It was my fault for being careless-" 

        "Don't!" 

        Caleb quieted fast and continued to stare at Luke. 

        "I'm sorry, Luke. I know you hate me but thank you." 

         Luke looked up at the sky, staring at the moon. 

        "Don't apologize. I don't hate you but I'm confused. I just- I thought you hated me and I can't be friends with you if you hate me because I'm gay." 

        Caleb looked at Luke and laughed. He missed the look in Luke's eyes as he pulled himself free of Caleb. 

        "Luke I don't hate you because you're gay. Hell, I don't hate you at all." 

Shock filtered onto Luke's face. 

        "What?" 

        "I don't hate you, Luke. I hate that you felt like you couldn't tell me what was going on with you. I'm your best friend, or I was, you should've told me sooner." 

        They chuckled at their foolishness. 

        "Wow, I feel stupid." 

        "Yeah, you are." 

        Luke pushed Caleb and he fell backwards. It was just like old times and if felt good. They would never admit to each other how much they missed their friend, but they knew that they would always be able to count on him.

****************************************

A/N: So I have a surprise for everyone! Duh-duh-duh!!!!!! *that was supposed to be trumpets* lol. I've decided to write a second book! YAY! This is not the end of this one, BUT I have decided to write a second one centered on Luke and Caleb! YAY!!!! XD ^_^ I'm SOOO EXCITED!!!!! LOL!

I loved writing about them so much and I had so many ideas while writing about them that I want to give them their own book because they deserve it. XD XD XD

And once again, I changed the name to Natalie! XD

Happy Readings!!!!!

CSwartz

P.S. I tried to edit but I wasn't feeling it so I'll do it later. LOL!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

102K 5.6K 35
What happens when you meet an old friend that wasn't really a friend to you in high school? This is a story about when to old friends come back into...
6.4K 93 55
*****COMPLETED*****Madison Ortiz and her family move to Seattle Washington and easily adjust to life there. They meet their neighbors, she makes new...
72.6K 5K 38
Ever felt like everyone you know has a secret? Your the only one who lays your truth out for everyone to see? That's Natalie! She never has been scar...
8.8K 139 15
3 men, and one innocent and tempting girl. What happens when Natalie meets the 3 most dangerous men in the world. Will they taint her with their dark...