Deceptions & Secrets

By FourTris_HEA

Summary: When tragedy strikes, Beatrice Prior's life is turned upside down, her plans for the future are jeop... More

PROLOGUE
Chapter 1: Prior Changes
Chapter 2: Wedded Bliss
Chapter 3: Blending Families
Chapter 4: Feelings and Such
Chapter 5: Facing the Truth
Chapter 6: Dating in Secret
Chapter 7: Secrets and a Birthday (T version)
Chapter 8: His Choosing Ceremony
Chapter 9: Meeting the Monster
Chapter 10: Isolation
Chapter 11: Asking Tobias for Help
Chapter 12: Baby Sister
Chapter 13: Starting Their New Life
Chapter 14: The Showdown
Chapter 15: Dinner, Then Bed
Chapter 16: Training & Making Friends
Chapter 17: Nanny and Nights
Chapter 18: Complicated Webs We Weave
Chapter 19: Capture the Flag
Chapter 20: Little Love Child
Chapter 21: Sweet Dreams
Chapter 22: Common Courtesy
Chapter 23: Birthday Fun
Chapter 24: Visiting Day
Chapter 25: A Health Scare (T)
Chapter 26: Current Rankings and Fears
Chapter 27: Uriah (T version)
Chapter 28: Rankings and Decisions - T version
Chapter 29: The Envy of Others (T version)
Chapter 30: Mommy Dearest
Chapter 31: Secrets Revealed
Chapter 32: Threats
Chapter 33: No More Deceptions & Secrets (T version)
Chapter 35: Breaking Family Ties
Chapter 36: Happily Ever After (T version)

Chapter 34: Getting Help (T version)

1.1K 41 30
By FourTris_HEA

AN: This chapter was originally written as Mature (M). If you prefer to read that version, please open the M-Chapters separate story from the Author Page.

We hope everyone had a wonderful holiday with their loved ones. Thank you for your patience with this chapter.

Chapter 34: Getting Help (T version)

Date: Mid-September +o+ Baby Natty is 8 months old

^^ Very Early the Next Morning ^^

* Tobias POV *

"We should get dressed," I whisper while kissing Tris's cheek. We are still snuggled under the blanket on the couch. Closing my eyes, I make a mental note at how much I enjoyed making love to her on this particular piece of furniture. Not that I ever plan to be locked in a storage room again, but I do have a nice couch in my apartment. Grinning, I file it away for future reference.

I know I will have a future with Tris. No matter what it takes, I will fight for her and what we have.

"I know, but I still just want to freeze time," Tris pauses to look into my eyes sadly. "I know we have gone over this a dozen times, I'm still trying to accept it."

My brows furrow, running my thumb across her jaw.  I wish I could push her pain away. After satisfying our pent up desires last night we held each other for many hours trying to decide our next steps. Tears were shed, kisses and caresses were shared as we each drew strength from the other.

The early morning is here and I know that my adrenaline is coursing through my veins because of the threats ahead of us. "It's hard to accept, but we are in agreement. The truth of Natty's paternity will never stay hidden forever. A secret this large, would have come to light eventually. We need to face it now," I gently remind her.

"I know, you're right. Even if Marcus saw me a year from now, or five years from now, with a daughter her age...he would suspect the truth. I have to face this head on," she says with resolution. "Natty was never really safe."

"We have our plan, it's our only hope. We have to confess and get ahead of this," I say hoarsely while kissing her firmly. My stomach in knots at the prospect of losing Tris, but I remind myself that I would make the same sacrifice if called upon. I have to concentrate on the fact that Tris is just as capable and brave as I myself strive to be.

"I know, and as much as I fear the prospect of prison... That little girl is more important to me than myself. I will sacrifice for her, I would do anything for her," Tris says firmly.

I marvel at her strength and resolve, this girl that I met so many years ago on the roof of a funeral home. I loved her then, but the person she is today amazes me so much more. She is truly selfless and strong. The love I feel for the woman she is today overwhelms me. She is my everything.

"Natty's best chance is to be hidden, even if it ends up being forever...she can never go to Marcus or Evelyn. Ever!" Tris reminds me of the promise we made to each other.

"Tris, I agree 100%. As the unlucky offspring of these two degenerates, I know more than anyone. It pains me to imagine a life where we don't have Natty, but if it is the best thing for her...it will be worth it," I concede.

After much deliberation throughout the night, we both agreed that the best chance that Natty has is to be hidden, while also being apart from us both. Our hearts ache at the prospect of giving Natty up, but we have agreed that raising Natty ourselves while on the run or even with the secret somehow intact – is too large of a risk for her.

We love her enough to put her needs first.

Sighing as Tris and I get dressed, I think about our plan.

We agree that Monica is a kind hearted woman who genuinely loves Natty. Both Tris and I, separately, have had authentic and important conversations with the wise woman. Monica is practical, kind and decent. We can trust her to help us, or at least give us good advice. She is also far enough removed from our lives that she would not be one of the first people that would be suspected of helping us.

Tris and I have hope, we want to believe we can keep the baby safe.

+++o+++

"Zeke, as grateful as I am...don't you ever pull a bull shit move like that on me again!" I jokingly threaten my best friend while patting him on the back.

The smug look on Zeke's face is enough to make me roll my eyes. He is very proud of himself for his role in bringing Tris and I back together.

"Tell Uriah..." Tris's voice falters. I imagine it occurs to her that she may not see Uriah anytime soon if things go south. "Just tell him that l although I don't appreciate his sneaky methods, I do appreciate him as a friend."

Zeke and Tris share a quick hug.

"Tris, we need to go.  Bye Zeke, please don't forget to erase all of the surveillance tapes that I wrote down. I may call you with some more help if I need it. And tell Gus-"

"Yeah, yeah. I got it all. You are calling out sick, and you also want me to delete the video between this room and Monica's apartment. I don't know what is going on, but you can count on me," Zeke assures me.

As we run through the halls I squeeze Tris's hand reassuringly. 

Opening her door, Monica's smile falters the moment she sees the look on our faces. Quickly ushering us into her home she asks what is going on. Natty is still sleeping in the crib in the guest bedroom so Tris and I are able to confess the entire story without distraction.

My childhood, my parents, and our short time as step siblings...I place my hand firmly on Tris's knee as she recounts what happened after I left Abnegation. It is only after Tris calmly places her hand on top of mine that I realize my hand had been shaking. It still pains me to hear what my father did to Natalie.

Monica is quiet, nodding her head as partial conversations between us become clear to her. After we are done getting her up to speed she asks us how far we are willing to go to protect Natty, because her idea will be difficult but it may be the only way to guarantee her safety.

"I have distant cousin that lives in Amity that runs a small daycare out of her home. She is someone that I love and trust, but we also have grown apart over the years after she left Dauntless. Very few people even know she and I are connected. I believe that she could hide Natty, while also keeping her happy and safe. One more child will blend in nicely with her small daycare in her own house," Monica says softly, her eyes saddened as endless tears fall down Tris's cheek. "I will give you both a moment. My husband works the night shift, I am going to wake him and get him up to speed."

"Thank you, Monica," Tris gasps as she struggles to keep her sobs at bay.

"Hey, talk to me," I whisper in her ear, running my hands up and down her arms. "I love you, we are going to get through this."

"I know, I just am overwhelmed. I don't know how I am going to say goodbye. I don't know how-" Tris's voice breaking as she buries her head in my neck.

"All of this, isn't right. Everything you have been through, all you have suffered... There is nothing I can say to make this okay. All I can do is promise you I am in this with you." Our lips press together, the passion and love always present. "No matter what, I am on your side."

"Thank you, Four. I love you," she murmurs.

An hour later we have the plan in place, now I am just waiting on Zeke to do his part. Monica's husband works in security for the transport of supplies in Amity. He will be sneaking Natty out of the Dauntless compound in a basket and bringing her to Monica's cousin. The cameras that cover the path between Monica's apartment for Tris and I, and then her husband to leave, will be simultaneously shut down for a scheduled maintenance. Luckily that is part of Zeke's job, so he can plan his schedule to best meet our needs.

"It's time," I murmur painfully hanging up the phone after talking to Zeke. My eyes flitter nervously as Tris buries her face into Natty's chest. The baby is smiling and happy, unaware of what is happening around her.

"Tris," I repeat, for a moment I worry she is going to break. That she will be unable to let Natty go.

Tris pats the cushion next to her on the couch, motioning for me to join them. I pull both of my girls into my arms, my chest constricting painfully as we say our goodbyes. 

Natty's beautiful face beams at me with nothing but innocence. She is perfect and I love her deeply. I have for a long time now.

"Four, what if this is the last time I ever see her? What if I am saying goodbye forever and she won't understand where I went?" Tris cries painfully.

"Tris, I am going to try my best to make sure that doesn't happen," I say, kissing her temple and then kissing Natty's head.

Tris holds it together until Monica and her husband leave with a well-hidden Natty. Their path through the compound will not be monitored. I believe Evelyn has her connections and spies, I doubt her threat to Tris was empty.

I wipe the tears off of her face before pulling her into me. "Come on, we need to get cleaned up before we head to Candor. I know we have time before the seven PM deadline, but the earlier the better."

We go to Tris's apartment. Even though we had been on a break, I had never retrieved the few things I kept at her place. Having a fresh change of clothes and my toiletries, I decide to take a shower there.

I lean my head against the tile of the shower, the water as hot as I can stand it beating down on the muscles of my back. I think about our plan to talk to Jack Kang when we arrive to Candor. Tris is going to explain the past, and then confess to her actions. My thoughts are interrupted as Tris opens the bathroom door, steam escaping the small bathroom until she closes the door behind her.

"Tris?" I mumble while washing the soap off of my hair and face.

"May I join you?" she asks shyly while undressing in the bathroom.

"Of course," I smile while holding a hand out to her as she steps into the shower. The sadness in her eyes is like a knife in my heart. She is in pain, and there is nothing I can do to take it away.

We hug as we comfort each other. The love between us is what is keeping me tethered. From the moment I found out what was at stake, I wanted to hunt down Marcus and end him. I still want to!

"Take me to bed. Please," she commands while turning the water off. Her eyes dazed with lust, her swollen lips calling to me.

Stumbling across the apartment, neither of us willing to break our kiss, we fall onto the bed. Not caring that we are still sopping wet, not caring about the pressures we face.

In that moment we are in love and together.

No words need to be spoken; I know she wants me. Just as she knows I want her. The love and comfort we share, keeping us grounded in each other.

For now, it is all we have.

Love and hope.

+++o+++

Careful not to call attention to ourselves or be seen together, we make it to Candor before lunch. Entering the building at different times, I walk to the water fountain by the lobby restrooms. It is a weekday and the building is very busy, thankfully the lobby is frequented by people from all the different factions as Candor now plays a key role in the entire city's judicial system. We don't stick out, which is something we need to avoid because of Evelyn.

I do not need to turn around when I feel Tris's presence behind me. She was careful to place her blond hair in a tight bun, similar to how the Erudite style it. It changes her appearance immensely.

"Ready?" I watch as then Tris gracefully takes a sip of water from the fountain.

"As ready as I'll ever be," she grimaces.

Walking side by side to the receptionist I take the lead. "Hello, my name is Tobias Eaton and this is Beatrice Prior. We would like to request a meeting with Jack Kang."

Without missing a beat the reception types something into the computer screen, I see a calendar of sorts pull up in the reflection of her eye glasses.

After confirming spelling of our names she asks, "What will the subject of the meeting be? Faction Leader Kang is completely booked today, his next general meeting with the public will be three days from now at nine AM."

Tris stiffens next to me, I open my mouth to protest. We need to see Jack immediately, this can't wait.

Holding up her finger to silence me, "One moment, please," she commands while picking up the phone at her desk that started ringing.

"Yes, I just typed their names into the calendar. They are standing right here. Very well, I will let them know. Thank you," she says into the phone as her eyes are now roaming between Tris and I.

"Well it appears to be your lucky day. That was Mr. Kang's assistant. She will be here in a few minutes to escort you in. Mr. Kang would like to see you immediately," she explains while printing out visitor badges.

Standing to the side I look at Tris, who is nervously chewing on her lower lip. Slipping my hand in hers I lean down to kiss her mouth gently. She breaks into a small smile and stops the gnawing of her lip.

An older woman arrives to lead us upstairs to what I can only assume is Jack Kang's office. Closing the door behind us my eyes roam over the office, the moment Tris squeezes my hand I turn to follow her gaze.

We are both shocked to see Abnegation Councilman Jonah standing off to the side. He had been staring out of the window, watching the streets below.

"He is with Abnegation, maybe Evelyn has already turned me in!" Tris hisses quietly.

A sudden panic overcomes me, it suddenly dawns on me how ridiculously easy it was to get this meeting. Why else would they usher us right in to see a leader of a faction? Although Tris and I had agreed that she would face her consequences, I snap. I realize in an instant that I will never let them take her from me.

"We are leaving now, get behind me," I bark at Tris while pulling my weapon out and pointing it at Jonah. I remember the man well, he was my father's right hand man after Andrew Prior died.

"I don't want to hurt anyone, but I will not leave this building without Tris!" I hiss.

My eyes frantically search the room, looking for another escape route. There were guards in the lobby of this floor.

"Of course Marcus got to you already, that man is a manipulative bastard. Jonah, let's go, you are walking with us until we get out of the building," I command coldly while staring at Jonah. "Hands in the air and walk over to me slowly."

"Wait! Good grief, you two are the ones that requested to meet with me. And now you pulling out a gun just so you can demand to leave?" Jack snaps incredulously.

It is then that Jonah speaks, his voice calm and steady. "Tobias, Beatrice...it is good to see you both. I can see Dauntless has been good for you. Each of you look so much stronger and more confident than the teenagers I remember from your time in Abnegation. I am not here to hurt you, if anything I hope that I can help."

Frowning I watch his face as he speaks, I am desperate to decipher if he is telling the truth.

Sighing and pinching the bridge of his nose, Jack calmly sits down at his desk. "Please put that gun away, you are a trusted member of Dauntless. Your job is to protect the citizens of this city....not to point weapons at us. Councilman Jonah is here because he has evidence against Marcus Eaton. In no way has Marcus 'gotten to me,' I find that offensive."

Feeling foolish and relieved at the same time, I nod and lower my weapon. Beside me Tris releases a breath, now calmer.

"Let's all have a seat. I am still not sold on the information Jonah has presented to me. But I would like to hear your take on a few points he mentioned. I am not sure why you both had been requesting to meet with me, please explain," Jack studies both Tris and I with a curious eye. He is a good man, although not very trusting of anyone that is not in his faction. He has always been very clear that it takes a superior person to focus on and relay the truth at all times.

"We came here today, to discuss Marcus Eaton and also to confess a crime," Tris states in a firm voice. A sudden lump in my throat as I process that this is the moment I have been dreading. Tris is going to take responsibility for her actions, while also hoping that she will be shown compassion for the circumstances that led her down this road.

"What crime would that be, Ms. Prior?" Jack asks quietly.

"Kidnapping," Tris manages to say, her voice faltering. It is very evident that this is hard for her say out loud. "I kidnapped my baby sister the same day that my mother died giving birth. My mother who died from injuries related to the beating Marcus had given her that same day."

The room is silent, Jonah painfully turns his head away. Unable to look at Tris as he processes what she has said. It occurs to me that Jonah was very close with Natalie, I can recall a few instances where Natalie and Jonah's wife would purposely sign up to volunteer together.

Jack Kang remains silent, but he does not turn away. His eyes carefully studying Tris before asking her to continue.

"Before Tris continues, I also want to explain my history with Marcus. The man that had abused me throughout my childhood, and I have the scars to prove it," I say as Jack's brow furrows. He nods for me to begin.

"Tobias, you don't have to--" Tris's voice falters. She knows how private and careful I am to hide the scars I carry. But she also knows I will do anything for her.

I remove my jacket and then shirt to show Jack and Jonah the scars that mark my back. As uncomfortable as it makes me, I walk closer to them so they can see the scars that my large tattoo partially masks. It is Jonah's sharp intake of breath that assures me that he has accepted the truth that Marcus Eaton is indeed a monster.

"Thank you, Tobias, for your candor and strength, you may get dressed again. I know I have seen enough," Jack says.

"Please call me Four. Tobias is my given name, I changed it when I joined Dauntless," I request. "I used the name Tobias when I checked in because I wanted you to know exactly who I was. Same for Tris, she no longer uses Beatrice."

"Of course, I understand."

Over the next twenty minutes Tris recounts her story for Jack and Jonah, Jonah only interrupting once to ask why Natalie didn't try to get help. The emotion on the man's face is clear: he feels terrible that this atrocity was happening right under his nose. Tris explained that Natalie didn't learn about what Tobias had endured until after he left, and once Marcus turned on her the threat against her teenage daughter was too much for her to risk. Tris also pointed out that Natalie had no idea who to trust, as Marcus was so powerful and connected.

After all was said, Tris let them know that the couple that were originally going to adopt the baby are willing to testify regarding the ongoing abuse and Natalie's death.

Lastly Tris pulled out a photo I had not seen before. My stomach churned at the sight of a battered Natalie's back.

"This was taken the day my mother died. The last time I looked at it was that day. Only telling him that it existed, I used it against Marcus when I bargained for my freedom. I told him mother and baby boy died that day, and that I would never live in his home again. He accepted my story as he knew he had physically pushed her too far," Tris states flatly, as she stares at Jack and Jonah.

"Are you willing to leave this photo with us?" Jack asks calmly.

"Yes, I have a second copy in the care of a trusted friend," she says.

Jack is very sympathetic to Tris's situation, lastly bringing up that she had already suffered the loss of her father and brother. My eyes shoot up to study Jack, Tris doing the same. I find it odd that the now long ago death of Andrew and Caleb Prior is remembered by Jack.

"I want to help you Tris, you were both right to come to me," Jack says slowly. "The reason Jonah and I were meeting today relates to Marcus Eaton as well."

Jack pauses to exchange a look with Jonah. It's almost as though the men are having a private conversation without words. Finally Jonah nods before turning his attention back to Tris.

"Just recently I came across some information by accident. I needed to check something from Andrew Prior's personnel file. But it was missing, which in itself was odd. Marcus's behavior became erratic and unpredictable when he first married Natalie. As an example, he was desperate to have Beatr-, I mean Tris, go through initiation a year early. As her birthday was very close, he wanted to bend the regulations. But we all know, close doesn't matter - it would have been breaking one of our most important rules. I was stunned at how far he was willing to go. He even asked me to alter Tris's birth certificate! I dismissed that exchange at the time, but it immediately raised a larger red flag in light of the missing file.

"As Marcus was in Erudite on faction business, I made the quick decision to look in his filing cabinet. It was then that I found files of information that Marcus should not have had access to." Jonah pauses to compose himself. "Upon further investigation, I found what I believe is compelling evidence of Marcus's involvement in the bus accident that killed Andrew Prior."

The room is silent, I'm trying to process what this means. 

"No! Just no, I can't... My mother married him! Brought him into the home she shared with my father," Tris bursts out painfully. Leaning over to press her fingertips against her temple, the pain she feels is palpable to everyone in the room.

Comforting Tris as best I can, I also understand there is nothing that can be done to push this pain away. I think back to the night I found Tris on the funeral rooftop, the agony she felt over the death of her father and brother.

"If you need some time, we can--" Jack begins. Tris then demands to hear it all, she doesn't want to wait any longer.

"From the information I read, I suspect that Marcus purposely had Andrew and Caleb killed in that bus crash that he orchestrated. There was also a note in the file that Beatrice Prior was supposed to be a passenger on that bus," Jonah pauses as Tris gasps and covers her mouth, the pieces already falling into place in her mind. "Remembering back to their quick courtship, and how determined Marcus was, I believe he wanted Natalie Prior all along."

"I was supposed to be on that bus. I woke up feeling sick, I can still remember everything about that morning. It was the last time that my family was whole..." Tris's voice trails off, tears streaming down her face.

I squeeze my eyes shut for a moment, desperately fighting to calm myself. I hate what my father did, not only to Andrew and Caleb, but also the other innocent people on the bus that died that day.

I try to imagine my life without Tris. Had Marcus succeeded, she would have died too. The thought enrages me.

"So is this it? When are you arresting Marcus?!" Tris demands. The fire is back in her eyes.

Jack sighs before answering. "Could I humiliate Marcus and arrest him within the hour? Yes. The problem is that the hard evidence Jonah was able to secure is not enough to result in a conviction. Tris and Tobias, I believe everything you have shared today. But even your testimony and that of the the Factionless couple is complete hearsay."

I groan, my frustration growing. Somehow that man always manages to get away with his crimes. It's as though he is meant to skate through life avoiding the consequences for his actions.

"Although you can prove that people were hurt, the proof that it was actually Marcus is just not there. What we have today is not enough, but that doesn't mean I am giving up. Listening to your stories and the history of abuse, I have to believe that a confrontation between Marcus and you both will be the most likely way to trip him up," Jack says. "If you are willing, I'd like to work with you to trap Marcus Eaton and make him pay for his crimes. Your help in exchange for a plea deal, Tris."

Our eyes lock for just a moment before we both answer with a firm yes.

Tris and I are all in.

+++o+ Chapter End +o+++

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

563K 12.5K 39
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
8K 419 13
Our different world in modern love Ishan:mr cricketer Shubman:yes mr singer Ishan:my donkey.. Smile
372K 10.7K 79
Book One +++ This book is part of a series +++ Book One [You are here] : The Truth After Allegiant Book Two : Learning to Trust Book Three : All for...
9.5K 282 17
We all know the original story of Harry Potter. But what if Harry had a twin brother? (I do not own Harry Potter)