Fighting (Sequel to Fate)

By EverlarkFire

Katniss is now in District 13 and fighting. For Peeta. For their unborn child. For Panem. But can she bring P... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
A.N.
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
A.N.
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
A.N.
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
A.N.
It's up!!
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31

Chapter 32

2.9K 38 27
By EverlarkFire

Katniss P.O.V.

"You don't have to stay here with me tonight, you know," I tell Prim as I sit down beside of her on the bed.

"I know I don't have to," Prim tells me. "I want to though."

I smile at her and give her a tight hug.

"I probably need someone to make sure I don't go crazy anyways," I say.

Prim looks up at me and frowns. "Are you okay?"

I take a deep breath. "Would you believe me if I said yes?" Prim shakes her head. "Yeah," I sigh, "That's what I thought."

"Peeta's going to be okay," she tells me.

"Maybe eventually," I say. "But as for now, he's not okay, and I don't know what to do. That look in Peeta's eyes..." I trail off and shake my head. "I never imagined that Peeta would ever look at me like that."

A dreadful thought occurs to me, and it makes me feel sick.

"He's not Peeta anymore."

"Katniss..."

"I mean, Peeta's still in there somewhere I just... That's not him," I say as I shake my head. "And I wish I could say that it's all Snow's fault, but it's not. It's Coin's fault too, and they both will pay for it."

I take a deep breath and hold back the tears. "Prim, maybe you should go stay with Mom tonight."

"No, Katniss."

"I just want to be alone for right now, okay?"

"You sure you'll be alright?"

"I'll be fine, Prim," I say as I wrap my arms around her. She gives me an uncertain look before leaving the room.

I take another deep breath and press a hand to my stomach as the tears fall. The baby begins moving, and I flinch a little.

"Hi, baby," I whisper softly. "You've got to help Mommy get through this, alright? Daddy's sick, and..." I stop and take a deep breath. "And I don't know when he's going to get better. But I need you to stick it out with me. Okay?"

I feel her foot against my hand, and I can't help but to smile.

"But don't you worry, little one. Daddy's going to be okay. He has to be."

There's a knock at the door, and I take a deep breath.

"Come in!" I holler, not really wanting to get up off the bed. Haymitch walks into the room and just looks at me.

"I just come by to see how you're holding up."

"As good as I can for now," I reply as I blink back the tears.

"Be honest," Haymitch tells me. I sigh as he sits down beside of me.

"Honestly," I begin,"the only reason I'm not insane right now is because I'm pregnant. I know that I have to stay strong for Willow."

Haymitch gives me a look. "Who?"

"Willow," I repeat as I rub a hand across my stomach. "That's what Peeta and I are going to name her."

"Does Peeta know it's a girl?"

"Yeah," I reply. "And my baby's not an 'it.' She's a baby."

"Sorry," Haymitch mutters.

I laugh a bit. "Be honest with me, Haymitch. Do you think that Peeta will be okay before the baby's born?"

Haymitch takes a deep breath. "I don't know what to tell you, Katniss."

I shake my head and look down at my round stomach. "It's funny how your greates fear changes so quickly," I say. "At first, I was worried about the baby being born into a world where the Hunger Games exist. Then I was worried about the baby being born here in Thirteen. But none of that matters to me now. The only thing I'm scared of is that Peeta won't be there with me."

"Let me put it this way," Haymitch says. "Do you honestly think that there's anything in this world that boy will let stand in the way of being there for you and that baby when the time comes?"

"No," I say as I shake my head. "But I know something's changed in him. What if he doesn't remember that I'm his wife and this is our baby?"

"Then you'll have to make him remember," Haymitch says as he stands up. "Listen, kiddo, get some rest. And don't worry, okay? I'll come get you the second it's safe for you to go into Peeta's room."

I nod my head and give him a sad smile. "Thank you, Haymitch." He nods once, and then leaves the room. I take a deep breath and lay back in the bed, laying a hand on my big belly.

"How are you doing, baby girl?" I talk to Willow softly. "Promise me something. If it's possible, please stay put long enough for your Daddy to get better. You are everything to us, and I know that it would mean the world to him if he could be there for your birth, even if he doesn't know it right now. And I'm going to need him there with me. So you need to hold on as long as you can, okay?"

Willow gives a small kick, and I smile.

"I hope that's a 'yes,'" I whisper. "But if not, that's okay too. I just want you to be healthy, and I'm going to do everything I can to make sure that happens. And that means that I need to make sure I stay calm, because if I'm not calm that affects you."

I take a deep breath and close my eyes. "I love you, Willow. And I'm going to make sure that no matter what, you're going to have the best childhood possible."

It takes only a few more minutes before I finally doze off.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's two days until I finally hear any more news about Peeta. When I do, it's definitely not what I was wanting to hear.

"So Peeta thinks I'm a mutt?" I ask Haymitch unbelievably. "Not only does he not remember that I'm the mother of his child, but now he sees me as a Capitol creation?"

Haymitch just looks at me, so I know I have my answer.

"Great," I say sarcastically as I throw my hands up in the air. "That's just... That's great. Fantastic. Thank you so much for brightening up my day."

I begin to walk off, but Haymitch reaches out and grabs my arm.

"Now don't go shooting the messenger here, Sweetheart," Haymitch says. "I'm just telling you what I saw. The second I mentioned your name..."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. I heard you the first time," I say angrily as I pull away from Haymitch's grip. "Peeta went ballistic and started yelling 'keep that mutt away from me!'"

"Look, once he calms down, I'll go back in there. He needs someone familiar to talk to him."

"You just have to stay clear of mentioning me, right?" I say unhappily.

"Katniss," Haymitch sighs. "It's not gonna be like this forever. You have to be patient until he gets better."

"If he gets better," I say. "Haymitch, this is too much for me. We're in the middle of a war. We're being forced to live underground. I'm a little under three months away from giving birth. I'm huge, I'm miserbale, and now my husband thinks I'm a mutt. It's too much."

"I didn't say any of this is fair, Katniss, but it's just the way that it is," Haymitch tells me. "You have to deal with it."

I bite my lip and take a deep breath.

"Send me in to talk to him."

"What?" Haymitch says. "Katniss, that's a crazy idea."

"You just said yourself that he needs someone familiar to talk to him."

"And I also said that he was calling you a mutt and he's not too happy with you right now."

"Haymitch..."

"No."

"He can't hurt me. He's still restrained isn't he?"

"Well, yeah," Haymitch says slowly as if he doesn't want me to know. "But this isn't just about you."

I roll my eyes. "If he can't hurt me, he can't hurt the baby."

"It'll just upset you, and that's not good for you right now," he points out. "And it's not going to help Peeta either if it just causes him to go haywire again."

I can feel my hands clench up at my sides.

"I need to see him, Haynitch."

He sighs and shakes his head. "Once. Just this one time. Please listen to me. It will be best for all three of you if you stay away until he's ready to see you."

"And if that doesn't happen?"

"It will," Haymitch says matter-of-factly. "Katniss, Peeta still loves you. His mind is just confused right now. But he will remember that he loves you. I can promise you that. It's just going to take some time."

Tears of aggravation begin to form in my eyes, and Haymitch reaches out to lay a hand on my shoulder.

"Katniss, trust me. I'm just trying to look out for you, alright?"

"Fine," I sigh. "I'll stay away. Gosh, Haymitch, this is one of the worse days I've ever had."

"Then maybe the good news that I have will make it better."

I freeze at the familiar voice and turn around to see Finnick walking towards us.

"I... I thought you were in the Capitol," I say in a shocked tone.

"I was," he replies. "But they flew us back this morning."

"Why?" I ask. A big smile spread across Finnick face.

"We got Snow."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ahh! I got so excited writing this chapter! My friend is helping me with the next couple of chapters, so it should be good!

Also, I feel like this is a good place to end this, so I will have the next book up soon!! Be looking for it!!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

116K 1.8K 49
What if Katniss had been the one left in the arena? What if Katniss had been hijacked and Peeta had been swept to safety to District 13. What if the...
6.5K 255 31
Katniss is back in District 12, without Peeta. Will they meet up again. Come and read to find out!
25.5K 414 44
After the war, Katniss feels that her whole life has been sucked away from her. Everything she knew and loved were gone. Gale and her mother in anoth...
13.2K 239 23
Amity Tides may have survived the 70th Hunger Games but will she survive the life of a victor? - A Finnick Odair x OC love story [This is a MATURE bo...