To tame an Earl (four hoydens...

By ashmita1321

Lord Ralph Orford, the Earl of Morley is the ideal gentleman, well liked, a definite catch on the marriage ma... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chpater 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Author's note

Chapter 7

21.5K 1.2K 48
By ashmita1321

"It's about to begin," Vanessa squealed excitedly and rushed to their seats.

Sarah followed suit, leaving Alice and Ralph no choice but to sit next to each other.

Alice would've thought it innocent but Vanessa ruined the effect by smirking at her as they settled in their seats.

"Have you read the programme?" Ralph asked politely.

"Yes. Unlike you, I'm extremely excited about this," Alice replied pertly.

Sarah and Vanessa were ignoring them. Deliberately, Alice suspected.

In no time, Vitoria Ludovica's captivating voice filled the theatre, silencing the chatty audience with its beauty.

"Enchanting, isn't it?" Alice murmured, not taking her eyes off the stage.

"Yes," Ralph whispered, not taking his eyes off of Alice.

She turned to look at him and Ralph stopped breathing. The air around them fairly crackled with tension as they continued to stare at each other.

God but she was beautiful. Utterly bewitching.

The loud applause following the end of the first scene brought them both back to reality.

Alice turned away, looking uncomfortable. She began fidgeting with her reticule. Ralph found her befuddlement oddly endearing.

He looked ahead to find Bates spying on them with his lorgnette from the opposite box. Ralph didn't feel quite so guilty about insulting him anymore. The man was an arse.

He thought he was employing sleuth, Ralph thought disgustedly.

That was enough to remind him of his purpose tonight. He had to speak with Vitoria if she was willing to see him.

"Would you like to have some refreshments?" He asked the ladies.

"Some lemonade, please," Vanessa said while Alice and Sarah declined.

He used this time to send a note to Vitoria.

He was back just in time for the second scene.

"What took you so long?" Sarah asked.

"I met an old acquaintance," he said.

She nodded, satisfied with his answer. But Alice looked suspicious, he noticed with some amusement.

The scene had begun when a footman appeared with a note.

Ralph excused himself and left the box. Once he was in the darkened hallway, he opened the heavily scented piece of paper.

I'm available now, it said.

It wasn't signed and that didn't surprise Ralph in the least.

He quickly made to get down the stairs in search of Vitoria.

"Wait!" someone called behind him as he stepped on the first landing.

He knew it was Alice even before he turned around.

"What are you doing here?" He asked, his voice low.

"I could ask you the same," she huffed, coming to stand on the stairwell. That brought them eye to eye. Ralph had to remind himself that he was angry with this woman.

"You're alone in a dimly lit hallway with no one about, Alice. Have you lost your mind?" He hissed.

"You're here," she said almost accusingly.

"I had some unfinished business," he replied, hoping it would send her back inside.

"With Vitoria Ludovica?" she nearly sneered the name.

"That's none of your business," he said, running out of patience.

"I see you've not changed. You're a scoundrel and nothing you say can convince me otherwise," she raised her voice.

Ralph covered her mouth with his hand and looked around them to see if anyone was there.

When he turned to look at her, her eyes were closed to slits and Ralph could feel her mouth pressed to a hard line beneath his palm. The fabric of her bodice strained as she breathed heavily.

My my, she was furious.

"You know, it always annoys me when you stare at me with your eyes so green. Eyes far too knowing, far too alluring," he said conversationally.

Have I lost my mind, he thought to himself.

But when her eyes widened and her plump lips parted with surprise...

Yes, I have, he thought.

That was the last rational thought his brain formed because after that, Ralph cupped her dear face in his palms and kissed her. His kiss wasn't coaxing or calm, it was raw, just like the emotions coursing in him.

He was angry with her, he was angry that he wanted her...that she always managed to get under his skin.

He revelled in the way she gasped when his tongue entered her sweet mouth, in the way she wordlessly sparred with him even now. She refused to back out, although it was abundantly clear that she didn't know what she was doing.

Ralph caught her hands that lay uselessly by her sides and dragged them up as he pushed her against the wall. He pinned her naked arms to the wall above her head with one hand and used the back of his other hand to trail a path down her smooth skin.

"Alice," he groaned as he cupped her. She let out an answering mewl.

Ralph pulled back, wanting to see her face.

She opened her eyes and looked at him with such trust that it nearly killed him.

As Ralph gazed into her wide eyes, he realised something. All her worldly ways, flirty conversation and coy smiles, it was all a facade. Because in her eyes, he saw an innocence and vulnerability that broke his heart.

"I should go," she whispered.

Ralph just nodded, too overcome to form an intelligent sentence.

He waited as she ran towards their box. And only when she was safely inside did he continue on his way to meet Miss Vitoria.

"You're late," the woman murmured, lounging on her plush divan wearing only her corset and pantalettes.

Ralph felt nothing.

"I was caught up," he replied, taking a seat as she signalled him to sit.

"With Lady Alice Woodbury," she smiled knowingly.

Only years of practice in hiding his emotions kept him from showing his surprise.

Ralph said nothing, he saw no point in denying his attraction for Alice.

"I need to speak with you about something of a personal nature," he said.

"I gather it's not about taking me for a mistress," she smiled coyly.

"It is not."

"A shame, really. I would not even ask anything of you should you choose to..." she trailed off meaningfully.

Ralph offered her a small smile, wondering to himself why he wasn't taking her up on her not so subtle offer. After all, it had been quite long since he'd been with a woman.

Because you want someone else, his mind's voice whispered.

"What do you know about George Bates?"

Miss Vitoria froze.

"What happened, Vitoria?" He persisted.

"I couldn't say," she whispered. The bold, flirty woman was gone. She looked scared.

"You must."

"Why? What's in it for you?" she asked, regaining some of her composure.

"I'm doing someone a favour," he said noncommittally. "You have no reason to fear. I won't let him hurt you," he added.

Vitoria nodded, finding comfort in Ralph's confidence.

"I didn't really want to be his mistress. It was good money though, so I agreed initially. But then I fell in love, I can't tell you the identity of the man..." she said.

"You don't have to. What happened then?"

"Bates found out. And he shot my lover in the head," she finished, looking haunted.

"But it didn't stop there. I was still bound to him, you see. One day, I heard him speak with another large, dangerous looking man. I didn't understand much, but it was something nefarious. He caught me overhearing their conversation. It was ugly after that. He hit me, repeatedly."

Ralph grit his teeth, furious. No man who strikes a woman deserves to live.

"He released me from the contract then. But I couldn't go out in public because of the marks I bore. Also, he warned me that if I ever spoke of this, he'd kill me."

"No one will hear of this," Ralph nodded, wanting to assure her.

"Please excuse me now, my lord. I must prepare for my next scene," she smiled, the actress in her surfacing again.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

649K 63.2K 45
When the obnoxious doctor and notorious drunkard Oliver St. Vincent meets the woman he has always been set to find, he discovers her secrets and he i...
2.8M 148K 43
Lady Victoria Ashdown will do anything to protect her inheritance and defeat her conniving stepmother, even if it means competing against the young...
55.1K 1K 14
Minerva sought a man that sparked something inside her that none of the men of the ton could seem to do. That is until she met a notorious Earl and b...
1.6M 49.4K 67
THE ORIGINAL BRIDGERTON FANFICTION Aurora Grey, only daughter of Earl Grey and new closest friend to Daphne Bridgerton is an energetic and thoroughly...