Drop of Magic (Malec)

By thespilledpoet

And in that moment I realize I feel no regret. This is one moment I never want to leave, but also one I'll ne... More

Taken Interest
Not Irrelevant
Perfect Moments
Pancakes and Honesty
Old Wounds and Alcohol Don't Mix
Hangovers Suck
Partners?
Controlled Alcohol Makes Dates Better
Blissful Mornings
Movie Nights and Moving
Shopping Can Be Fun
Mario Kart and Max
For Us
Becoming a Lightwood
Good News and Bad News
Two Months
Falling, Hard
I Love You
Drop of Magic (Epilogue)
(Author's Note)
Bonus Chapter (1) Elevator Stays and Rainy Days
Bonus Chapter (2) Not The Wedding You Were Expecting
Bonus Chapter (3) Pack My Bags
Bonus Chapter (4) Our Magic
Bonus Chapter (5) Little One
Bonus Chapter (6) Mess ups and Make ups
Bonus Chapter (7) Starting Over
Bonus Chapter (8) First Halloween
Bonus Chapter (9) Lucky

Bonus Chapter (10) It's Christmas!

1.9K 79 53
By thespilledpoet

First off, thank you all for nearly 17k readers! Now, enjoy the chapter ☺️

(Alec POV)

Snow sweeps over New York, a blanket of cloud fallen to the earth. The Brooklyn street in front of our home feels surreal in a way, a photograph, pulled straight off of the front of a postcard, icy flakes drifting down from above, catching the currents of the evening wind.

"Can you hand me that string of lights?" Mags asks, peeking down at me from the rooftop. I grin, reaching into the box at my feet and grabbing it before ascending several steps up the ladder to meet him. He captures me in a brief kiss and, if it wasn't a safety hazard, I'm sure I wouldn't be able to pull away.

"Izzy should be home with the kids soon, and then we can decorate the tree," I comment, tugging my scarf tighter around my neck once I'm back on solid ground. It's the 14th of December, Christmas sneaking up on us as it always seems to, and the city is alive with excitement.

"Don't forget the cookies. Cleo would never forgive us if she didn't get to decorate sugar cookies with her aunties." Magnus calls down to me, attaching the final string of lights. He's so high up my stomach is tightened with nerves, watching as he deftly manoeuvres the dark rooftop towards the ladder.

"That's true. What time did Clary say they were coming?" I reach up, helping him off of the ladder until his feet hit the cold snow. Together, we take the ladder down, back to the garage.

"4 o'clock. About half an hour." I hum in response and follow him back inside once everything's put away and the decorations are lit up. Sliding my gloves off, I shuffle out of my boots and shrug my jacket off before heading to the kitchen.

"Hot chocolate?" I glance over my shoulder as Mags comes into the kitchen, his hair dampened from the snow and glistening in the half-light.

"Always," grinning, he presses his cold lips to my cheek before traying out the decorations and cookies for when our babies get home.

As soon as the water is heated, the front door opens, laughter and familiar voices floating in from the doorway.

"Papa!" Cleo calls, and I turn just in time to see her dart in Magnus' waiting arms. Her hair is longer than ever before, dark as always, and cascading in warm waves just past her shoulders. My husband's eyes light up as he holds her on his hip, her small arms wound around his neck as she starts relaying her afternoon spent with Izzy, Simon and Mia to him. Magnus is all ears, nodding enthusiastically and nuzzling his nose into her cheek as she squeaks and laughs.

"Hey," Simon grins, carrying Ro's carrier over to me. Mia slides Arden's coat off, her daughter smiling up at her. Smiling, I pull back the blanket on top of the carrier. My son is blinking up at me, vibrant blue eyes passing over my face before he breaks out into a grin, his bubbling, infectious laughter filling the air. My chest aches with love the second I see him, the moment he reaches out with his tiny hand to find mine.

"How was the afternoon?" I ask as I unbuckle him, pulling him up to rest against my side, his hand batting at my jaw.

"Great, we're always happy to take the babies for a few hours." Simon grins and pats my shoulder before turning and placing the baby carrier by the stairs.

"Hot chocolates ready on the counter, help yourself," I nod back towards the kitchen as Simon steps passed me.

"Hello! We're here!" Clary calls as she opens the door, Jace not far behind, his hand clutched tightly in Orion's own. The little boy - who looks shockingly like his father, might I add, but his green eyes outshining everything- is bundled up in a blue snowsuit, his cheeks rosy from the cold.

"Uncle Alec!" He calls, dropping Jace's hand and fumbling towards me in his clunky boots. Laughing, I bend down and wrap my free arm around my nephew as my parents and Max file through the front door. The house is full, and my dad is carrying armfuls of Chinese take-out. It's loud, hectic, and crazy, but I doubt I'd have it any other way.

Once everyone has eaten, Cleo grabs my hand.

"Daddy, cookies?" She asks, grinning up at me, one tooth missing from her mouth. Magnus and I fought for hours over who got to play tooth-fairy. He won, using extremely strategic bribery. I'll spare you the details.

"Of course, pumpkin. Let's go decorate some cookies." I watch as Magnus adjusts the star that Cleo clumsily placed on top of the tree, as Jace, Max and Simon play with the boys, and as my parents chat while watching some Christmas special on TV. Clary, Mia, Arden and Izzy are waiting at the table.

"She roped you in too, huh?" Clary asks, smiling brightly.

"Always, she always does," I confess, shaking my head fondly as I sit with my daughter in my lap, helping her grab a cookie and some icing.

"I have some news for you guys," Izzy pipes up, glancing up from her intricate Christmas tree cookie.

"What's up?" I swipe a bit of frosting from Cleo's cheek, smiling. Raphael walks through the door, shaking his scarf out on the step before she can answer. Even though it took a lot of work, I guess he's won me over finally. Iz and he have been going steady for about 2 years now, and I guess it's working out. I didn't like the guy at first, but I have to say, he kinda fits right in. And behind him is someone I haven't seen in ages.

Luke enters the house with a smile. He's the one person who has always had Clary's back, and despite not being around the past while, he's kept in touch. Rare visits, barely spanning a few days at a time, or phone calls or letters. He's still clad in his army greens.

"Luke!" Clary jumps up, running over. It's been almost a year since they've last seen each other. And sometimes, we all wondered if Luke would ever come back. He's been serving as long as I can remember, always going back, even if his fight was long over. His arms encompass Clary- the only father she ever knew was him- and everything seems right in the world.

Raphael bends down to place a kiss on Izzy's lips as all the kids rush to greet Luke. I figure I'll let the crowd of family members die down a bit first.

"So what were you going to tell us?" I turn my attention back to Izzy as Raph sits next to her.

"We're telling him now?" He asks, smiling.

"Why not?" Izzy pats his cheek and I feel my face break into a smile. "We're having a baby." Our big, crazy family could always use another member. I stand, bringing my baby sister into my arms and hugging her fiercely. It's about damn time we were all happy.

"I'm so happy for you guys. I'm so excited, how long? Is it a boy or a girl? Names?" The questions roll off of my tongue and I know I'm not giving them time to answer, but I'm just so excited. Izzy laughs and pats my cheek.

"Too early to tell gender. We're just 3 months along. We're so happy, Alec. It's finally happening." Izzy will be a great mom, I know it. It's in her blood, she's the best auntie to my children, to Jace and Clary's son, and she pretty much had a hand in raising all of us, even if she's the second youngest. It's just who she is.

"Am I the first to know?" I can't fight the smile.

"Of course, brother. You'll always be the first to know anything." My heart feels warm, happy, full, and as Cleo comes back into my arms, I bury my face in her hair, breathing in her familiar scent and reminding myself that finally, we've all gotten there.

*

"You can open one gift on Christmas Eve," I tell Cleo as we sit in the living room. We'll meet up with the rest of the family tomorrow for Christmas, but tonight, it's just the four of us.

"Why not...all?" She asks, batting her eyelashes. I think Magnus taught her that. I'll have to kill him. The Chairman saunters over, laying down with his head in her lap as she pats his soft fur.

"Because it's not quite Christmas, silly girl. Santa hasn't even brought all your gifts," I remind her, nodding at the empty stockings on the fireplace. Sighing, she nods as Magnus carries Ro over and a couple of wrapped gifts.

"Here you go, sweet pea. Open this one." He says with a smile, sitting down beside me and handing me Ro. Tearing open the paper, Cleo reveals her new pyjamas and slippers, grinning at the pink pattern, littered with glittery stars. The onesie won't fit for long, nothing does, the girl grows like a flower, fast, but as delicate and beautiful as one, too. Ro plays with the paper. I don't think he understands Christmas yet.

"Thanks papa, thanks daddy!" She throws her arms around Mags' nuzzling close before capturing me in a hug, making Ro squirm between us. I laugh and pat her back before she darts up to her bedroom to change.

"Alright, little man, bed time for you," I smile and stand, Magnus following me as we bath Ro and get ready for bed.

Magnus runs the water and takes Ro as Cleo fumbles her way into the room.

"Did you remember to leave the cookies out for Santa?" She asks, rocking back and forth on the balls of her feet. I can't fight the smile that touches my lips, my daughter always brings the best out of me. Kneeling down, I fix the sleeve of her new pjs and grin.

"Not yet. We'll go down and do that while papa puts Ro to sleep, okay?" Her head nods so quickly I worry she'll give herself whiplash. I smooth her hair down with my palm before scooping her into my arms and heading downstairs.

Cleo picks which cookies we place on the plate and I watch as she sets it carefully on the coffee table in front of the fireplace. Setting the glass of milk down beside it, I stand up and sigh contently.

"Alright munchkin. Let's get up to bed so that Santa can come," I reach for her hand, feeling warmth surge through me as her tiny fingers circle around mine.

"Why doesn't Santa come when we're awake?"

"Because he's magic. And he can't go showing his cool powers to everyone," I explain, lifting her into bed.

"Magic like papa is? I heard you say that papa is magic in the bedroo-" I nearly choke on my tongue and shake my head.

"No, nope. We don't repeat that okay?" I practically beg. Luckily, Cleo just shrugs and nestles down into her blankets with a yawn. Feeling my speeding heart rate calm down, I grab her favourite book off the nightstand- coincidentally Magnus' favourite, as well- the Velveteen Rabbit, and let my voice lull her to sleep.

Magnus is waiting downstairs when I make my way there, eating a cookie.

"Hey, Santa," I tease, kissing his temple.

"Hello Mrs, Clause," sometimes, only sometimes, I wonder why I married this man. Glaring playfully, I steal the cookie from his hand and take a bite. Taking his hand in mine, I guide us to the fire place, sinking down in front of it. Mags curls up into my side and I pull him impossibly closer as the fire crackles calmly.

After everything, this feels just right.

***

"Papa! Daddy! It's Christmas! Oh my goodness, wake up! Santa came!" Cleo pulls herself up onto the bed, grasping at the blankets as I blearily blink my eyes open. Lazy sunlight casts through the window, dripping over us. I reach out, taking Cleo's hand and hauling her up onto my chest.

"What time is it?" I ask, Magnus grumbling as he sits up, his hair a tangled mess as he rubs his eyes.

"6:00," he complains, stretching. Cleo bounces up and down on my chest, eyes gleaming vibrantly, her hair as much of a mess as her papa's.

"Okay, I'll make you a deal. You go brush your teeth and papa will come do your hair. And then, grandma, grandpa and everyone else will be here and we can open gifts. Okay?" Cleo nods eagerly and Magnus helps her off the bed, walking with her to her bedroom.

Lazily, I pull myself out of bed and shower quickly before pulling on some plaid pj pants and a t-shirt. Just as I finish, Magnus passes me, pointing over his shoulder.

"I'm going to shower. Cleo is bouncing off the walls. Good luck." He smirks and I chuckle, shaking my head.

"Okay punk, do you want to have breakfast?" Sighing, she nods, patting her tummy as it rumbles. Laughing, I guide her to the kitchen, sitting her up on the counter while I make some pancakes.

It's crazy to think, so many years ago, it was Magnus and I in this kitchen, confused, shy, unsure. Hungover. Thrilled with the prospect of what would come.

And now, in the same kitchen, making pancakes for our daughter. Sometimes, life just works.

Magnus comes downstairs, carrying a sleepy looking Ro.

"Papa, daddy's making pancakes!" Cleo squeals, earning a laugh and a kiss on top of her head.

"So he is. Go open your stocking, Okay? Santa left it for you." With that, she's running to the living room, yelling about how the cookies and milk are gone. I smile down at the pan in front of me, shaking my head as the front door opens and our family files in.

Everyone's here; my parents, Max and his newest fling, Jace, Clary and Orion, Izzy and Raph, Simon, Mia and Arden, and Luke.

"Hey sweetheart," my mom smiles and stands beside me, pressing her red lips to my cheek, surely leaving a mark. Chuckling, I grin at her.

"Hey momma."

"Want some help with breakfast?" She asks, turning to wash her hands.

"I'd love some." Together we finish up a mountain of pancakes and bacon, watching as everyone dishes up and settles in the living room to open presents. Outside, snowflakes twinkle in the early, cold morning, but in here, it's comfy and warm. It's almost, just almost, absolutely magical.

___________________________
A/N: there you go! Christmas special chapter! I hope you enjoyed, and I hope you all have a very merry Christmas, happy Hanukkah, happy holidays, happy kwanza, and just in general a great start to your new year! Let me know if you want to see more on this story, or if you'd like more focus on existing/ potentially emerging stories!

Sierra

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.5K 329 20
You have two boys that have live that are the complete opposite of each other. You have Alexander Gideon Lightwood, who is the Prince of Angels. Th...
64.4K 2K 20
Alexander Lightwood. A reserved, loving, protecive Shadowhunter. Magnus Bane. A confident, glittery, powerful Warlock. These two, somehow, met eachot...
10K 403 16
"I just hated him, the totally attractive and totally stupid him. That perfect smile he would always flash out like life was peaceful and there weren...
66.9K 2.3K 58
Alec starts a relationship with Magnus Bane the High Warlock of Brooklyn after the unlikely but fateful night when he is dragged to a party by his si...