I Trusted You (Peter Pan)

Door queenofthelamas

'Nothing could ruin Cassandra's good mood, not even Emma Swan or her Storybrooke friends. Not when Cassandra... Meer

Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Epilogue

Chapter 11

167 1 2
Door queenofthelamas

A/N: Here it is! At last! I hope you guys enjoy and I apologise for any feels you may experience.

As for sequels, intially I didn't want to weaken the ending- some things are better left untouched. However, I've come up with possible ideas, so if they lead somewhere I would definitely love to write a sequel. (I've also become too attached to these characters to let them go just yet).

"They should really get some better security." Darrel huffed.

"And by better you mean?"

"Any security at all." Having just waltzed into the police station without any difficulty, the two boys grinned at each other. They caught sight of the cells; one of the doors was wide open. The other, however, was still locked and its occupant was slouched at the base of the door with her face buried in her hands.

"Andie?" Darrel asked softly.

"Where's Felix?" Devin queried. If he had been able to break himself out, Felix would have made sure she got out too. So why was she still here?

The girl lifted her head, shoving matted hair from her face. She didn't dare try remove the tangles, knowing all too well her hand would get stuck. She frowned. "Why are you here?"

"We came to get you out." Darrel started picking the lock. "Wasn't too hard, they don't even have any guards posted." He cracked a smile but he couldn't help but notice how awful she looked: red eyes; her pale skin stretched thinly across her cheekbones and jaw; her hair a wild mess, the curls squashed and reaching out in all directions.

"I assume they're all a bit busy at the moment." She muttered. "Where are the others?"

"Persuading that 'Granny' lady to give them a couple rooms in exchange for a couple squirrels. Trying to at least." Devin chuckled. "They want to see what its like to sleep indoors; none of them can remember. Personally, I think it would be a bit claustrophobic- trapped by walls and a roof."

"How did you know I was here?" She switched the conversation. She'd never been too good at small talk, whether or not she realised that it wasn't by choice. It's why she got on so well with Felix.

"Someone saw you and Felix getting dragged off by that Prince Charming fellow." Darrel explained. "He trailed you, saw you go into the Police station, then came and told all of us. Hang on, I think it was William. Yeah, it was. Because he was pretty darn smug about it, saying how he never would have gotten caught like that. The idiot, you're far better at everything than him." Darrel scoffed. "I tried to tell him, there had to be a reason you were here."

"But still you came to free me?"

"We figured we might as well make sure. If you did indeed want to be here, well then you'd tell us to bugger off." Darrel watched to see if he'd get a smile from her. He did not.

"So Andie," Devin wondered. "If both you and Felix were locked up, how come he isn't here?"

Cassandra stood up, brushing the dust off her knees. "Peter took him." She said simply.

The boys looked at her, bewildered.

"He's not in the box." She elaborated. "He switched bodies with Henry. He's free."

Darrel paused for a moment, letting the information sink in. His hands then continued their work on the lock. "Two questions. Why don't you sound happy about it; and why didn't he let you out too?" He asked, perplexed. The lock clicked and he heaved the door open. They looked to Cassandra, waiting for an answer.

She stepped from the cell, a solemn look in her eyes. "Peter doesn't know who I am."

///

A cool breeze fluttered over Cassandra's skin as she emerged from the station. It felt wrong. As if the town itself could sense the danger looming.

"Where to?" Darrel raised his eyebrows.

"We have to find Peter." She announced. "Before he does something he can't take back."

"You're the only one who's been here before. Any idea where to start?" Devin quizzed.

Cassandra sighed. "Not a clue."

"Cassandra!" A voice called. The trio turned to see Emma running towards them. The two boys tensed, ready to run.

Cassandra put a hand on each of their arms. "Wait, it's okay."

The woman reached them at last, breathing heavily. "You were right, they switched."

Paying no attention to the shock on the boys' faces, Cassandra waved her hands, motioning to her surroundings. "Does this mean I can be officially released now?"

Emma didn't smile. There was worry in her eyes. "Cassandra. Pan, he took the curse. He's going to cast it on Storybrooke."

"What would that do?" Dread began to fill her.

"We'd all forget who we are. We'd become Pan's slaves."

"Pan wouldn't do that to us- why should we be bothered?" Devin barked.

Emma blinked. "If you Lost Boys care about each other, then you should. Because to cast the curse he has to crush the heart of the thing he loves most."

Everyone looked to Cassandra. She gulped as it hit her. "He has to kill me?"

The woman nodded. "I needed to make sure he hadn't gotten to you yet. I want you to come with me to Gold's shop. We can protect you."

"Emma this doesn't make any sense." Cassandra stopped her. "Peter came by not long ago. He took Felix and left; he didn't even recognise me."

The woman was silent for a moment, deep in thought. Even this short break from searching for Peter made Cassandra fidget impatiently. Time seemed to stretch out, becoming thin and distorted, making Cassandra wobble. She could feel the bad news before it came.

"Oh my god." Emma gasped. She had figured out the mystery she had been puzzling over. "Something else was missing from Regina's vault." Her eyes widened. Gold had brushed off its significance, but Emma knew better. "A memory potion."

Whilst Cassandra had never had much experience with memory potions, she knew they were never good.

"So he did that, why exactly?" Darrel cut in. "It won't help him if he can't remember whose heart he needs."

"Well," Emma thought aloud. "If he can't remember who she is... he can't love her, I'm assuming. I can't think of any other reason, he can cast the curse without losing her."

"So whose heart is he gonna use?" Devin voiced the question they'd all been thinking.

Cassandra's heart thudded. "Felix!" She gasped. "He took Felix."

Panic crossed Emma's face. "How long ago was this?"

"Maybe half an hour ago, I can't be sure."

"Then it's too late." She turned and looked in the direction of the woods.

"What! It can't be, he can't kill him." She shook her head vigorously and began sprinting towards where Emma was looking.

"Cassandra!" Emma's voice was accompanied by three sets of footsteps. Cassandra was pulled roughly to a halt as a pair of outreached hands grabbed a hold of her.

"Felix!" She screamed, trying to wriggle from the arms locked around her waist. She turned to see Devin restraining her.

"Let go of me!" She growled, thrashing her legs.

"He'll already have cast the curse." Emma moved in front of her and gripped her shoulders. "I'm sorry. Felix is gone."

Cassandra's body became limp. He couldn't be dead. Peter wouldn't have killed him. They were friends. She could still picture Felix's face, walking out of that cell: relieved to be reunited with his leader; confused as to why Peter was being so distant with her. She wondered if he worked it out in the end, that it was the only way he could get what he wanted without killing her.

What had been the last thought to cross his mind? Felix had always been brave and loyal- complete faith in Peter. Did that mean he accepted his fate? Or did he feel scared or betrayed? Cassandra knew one thing: she would much rather have died in his place, rather than have his blood on her hands.

"Listen, the best thing we can do is get to Gold's. We can switch their bodies back, and undo the curse."

"But it won't bring Felix back?" She whispered.

The corners of Emma's lips turned down. "No. But it'll put Pan back in his own body. Henry will be fine. And from there, we can make sure Pan doesn't hurt anyone again."

"You're not going to hurt him, are you?"

Emma shook her head. "I made a promise, kid. And I meant it."

The mother and daughter smiled at each other. Cassandra found herself beginning to like the woman, something she never thought possible.

///

The tinkling of a bell sounded as Emma and Cassandra entered the shop. It felt odd, walking into territory where she was surrounded by people who loathed her, completely vulnerable. She had no weapons. No escape plan. Not even any Lost Boys by her side.

She'd been reluctant to go with Emma. She felt as if she needed to find Felix. She couldn't leave him on his own. Devin and Darrel had offered to retrieve his body, where they could then give him a proper send-off. After slight hesitation, Cassandra admitted it was the best option. They couldn't waste any time and she wanted to speak to Peter as soon as he awoke in his own body.

Shuffling into the back room, everyone's eyes flickered to her. She forced a smile and hovered in the doorway.

Emma explained the situation to the group and they frowned at the unfortunate turn of events- that they hadn't been able to stop Pan in time. After they protested that Cassandra had no reason to be there if the curse had already been cast, Emma argued against them. She reasoned that Cassandra had helped them by telling them it was Pan in Henry's body; she was on their side. She also mentioned that when Pan woke up, Cassandra was their best chance of stopping him.

The group begrudgingly nodded, still wary of the new arrival.

"Andie." Cassandra's heart clenched as she saw Peter beaming at her. Quickly her mind corrected her, it was Henry. Just Henry.

"Hey Henry." She paced gingerly towards him. Overly aware of all those watching her, Regina particularly, she spoke quietly. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay." The boy smiled. "You wanted to save him, I get that. I'm just glad you're here."

Cassandra's eyes bulged from her head. Did he just... forgive her? After what she did? He was most affected by all that had happened. She almost chuckled. That kid was certainly something.

Henry patted beside him on the seat and cautiously, she sat down. Emma and Snow began conversing over a mobile made of glass unicorns. Rumpel and Regina were silent. Rumpel was tensed, still staring at her. Cassandra couldn't see Regina as she was perched on Henry's other side, but she assumed she would be acting in a similar way.

Not much later, David burst into the room.

"She's back." He panted. "The Blue Fairy. She gave us the wand."

Cassandra covered her groan with a cough. Fantastic. The Blue Fairy. If she had to see that sickly, condescending smile ever again she was going to rip her hair out.

Emma turned to Gold. "Do we need anything else?"

"Only one more item." He opened the dark wooden cabinet behind him, removing a small object from its interior.

"What is that?" Snow's soft voice asked.

"This is one of the only useful things that I managed to pilfer from Greg and Tamara before they left for Neverland." Cassandra raised her eyebrows, impressed by his resourcefulness. Still, she was confused. Why did he need it? "It renders anyone with magic utterly powerless."

"I haven't forgotten about all that, by the way." Regina said glumly. Cassandra winced, the woman probably blamed her for that too.

Rumpel walked slowly towards them. "Let me see your wrist, Henry." Henry held out his hand and Rumpel shoved the cuff onto his arm. "I want to make sure that when my dear childhood friend awakes, that he is weakened. This will lock his powers."

Cassandra frowned. Was he an actual idiot? She thought for a moment that he was smarter than that.

Henry wondered what the next plan of action was and Rumpel explained exactly what was going to happen. Regina also told him what to do, in her commanding-mother tone. Then Henry, being Henry, sighed and gave a soppy apology.

"I gave my heart to Pan. I thought I was being a hero." He spoke steadily whilst everyone seemed to hang off his words. "I'm sorry."

"You're not the one who needs to be sorry." David said. He glanced at Cassandra before looking back to Henry. "Pan does."

"It's time." Cassandra and Regina moved away, allowing Henry to lie down. Rumpel stood over him, the wand hovering over Henry's face. "Keep your eyes on the wand."

Everyone watched as Rumpel cast the spell and Henry's eyes drifted shut. Abruptly, Peter's body started convulsing. Cassandra's limbs wanted to reach out and soothe him. It seemed like he was in a lot of pain and seeing her Peter like that, even if it wasn't really Peter, it still hurt.

"What's happening?" Emma panicked.

"Henry's spirit is leaving Pan's body." The shaking continued and gradually the body grew still.

"It worked." Regina broke the silence. The tension in the room lifted and everyone sighed in relief.

"Let's go find our son." Emma, Regina, Snow and David rushed from the room. Belle and Neal began to follow them, but they paused when they saw that neither Rumpel nor Cassandra had budged.

"You're not coming?" The brunette asked. Belle was probably one of Storybrooke's residents that Cassandra liked the most. She went against what everyone else said, and let her heart love a monster. She saw good where no one else did. Whether it existed within Rumpelstiltskin, Cassandra couldn't say. But she did know that she was the same with Peter. His heart was mainly clouded by darkness, but she could still feel that flicker of light within, that was fighting to stay alive.

"No, no. I think not. Pan and I have, uh... some unfinished business."

"And you?" Cassandra was startled by Belle's question. She didn't think the woman would be bothered about her.

She shook her head. "I want to be here when he wakes up."

The woman smiled in understanding and trailed through the doorway. Neal hovered for a moment.

"Why is it that Pan keeps getting involved with our family?" He asked, not expecting an answer. "He betrayed you." He pointed to Rumpel. "He tried to trap me on his island. I'm pretty sure he lied to you for damn long time." He motioned to Cassandra- she winced. "And then he goes and tries to kill my son." He smiled wryly.

"Coincidence?" Cassandra replied at the same time Rumpel said-

"Fate?"

Neal scoffed and left the room.

Cassandra blinked and looked at Rumpel. "You think it was destiny for Peter to be entangled in our lives?" She asked mockingly.

"You're telling me you don't?" He quipped. "You know of the prophecy- that he needed Henry's heart. I had my own prophecy. This was always going to happen, whether we like it or not. You were always going to grow up in another land, just as Henry grew up away from his mother."

Cassandra considered that for a moment. Fate had always seemed like it belonged in a fairy-tale. Then again, the fairy-tales were real. But she still couldn't see her life as a fairy-tale. It had the tragedy. It had the knight in shining armour, if Peter could be classed as one. But there had never been a happy ending. There had been happiness, but the dark had never disappeared completely.

To her, fate was some magical force that dictated your life. As if your actions were not your own; they had already been decided. She hated that idea. Not having a choice. Like your life was a story in a book. Each page capturing a single moment, where you could turn back and reread the page, allowing that moment to exist forever. Yet still, the characters were incapable of escaping the inevitable outcome, whether it be good or bad.

She hoped her life was not a mere fairy-tale, because Peter was seen by many as a villain.

And Cassandra knew what fate had in store for villains.

"Will he ever remember me?" She sat on the edge of the seat next to Peter.

"Miss Blanchard once took a similar potion that she acquired from me." He responded gruffly. "The potion won't wear off, it can only be broken."

"And how would that happen?" She asked sarcastically.

"How do you think? The way all spells are broken."

She laughed grimly. "True Love's kiss." She carefully brushed the hair from Peter's eyes. Her voice cracked. "What is it that makes love True?"

"It's pure." He answered, deep in thought. "The more pure, the more True. It is not controlled or forced. When a person is willing to give their life to protect the one they love, then it is True."

"Is your love True?" She wondered. He seemed to be thinking of someone as he spoke, and of who else but Belle.

He realised he was having a heart-to-heart with the enemy and turned cold. "That's none of your business." He said bluntly. She decided to give him some advice before he shut off from her completely.

"I should tell you that this cuff isn't going to work." She said absentmindedly, her fingers tracing along Peter's cheek. Rumpel stiffened, terror flashing across his face. "So if your plan was to have your little chat and then kill him, think again." Her tone was soft, contrasting with the threat of her words.

"The cuff was for Henry's safety, for everyone's." He objected.

"Don't try and feed me lies. I can tell the difference between consideration and self-preservation." Cassandra looked away from Peter and stared at Rumpel. "Whatever you want from him, he can't give it to you. You expect some great answer to explain why he did what he did... but the truth is, nothing he could ever say would make you forgive him."

The weary man stared back, and her words hit something inside him. Cassandra watched him carefully, seeing the stubborn look in his eyes evolve into surrender. He realised the battle was lost. Deflated, he dragged himself after the others. Cassandra's eyes lingered on the doorway and as she heard a sudden breath, they fluttered to the boy beside her.

"You again?" He glared at her. "I see you managed to escape from that pathetic prison." He sat up. Cassandra's heart twisted uncomfortably like someone was wringing out a cloth.

"I'm not going to ask who you are, I don't care. But what I do want to know is, why are you here?" He spat out the words, using the tone that he had never ever used on her. The unfamiliarity in the look he gave her, she couldn't bare it.

She wanted so desperately to believe their love was True. She knew she loved him. She gave up her brother's life, so he could live. She would do anything she could to protect him. But would Peter do the same? He hadn't killed her so that he could cast the curse... but if he didn't discover the loophole, would he have done the same?

True Love, like fate, was a thing of fairy-tales. And in those fairy-tales, it was reciprocated. Did that mean that unconditional love needed to be mutual if it were to be considered True? Or was it simply because those stories, made for happier endings.

Before she had a chance to doubt herself, Cassandra pressed her lips to Peter's. At first, the sensation was odd, his mouth remained unresponsive. She held herself there a moment longer awkwardly; a kiss had never felt so forced and mechanical. And then, just as she was about to retreat in shame, he kissed back. His lips parted and their mouths began to move against each other perfectly. She felt something flood her body, trickling down to her toes and climbing all the way to the top of her head.

And then the kiss grew hungry. Peter's hand knotted into her hair and he pulled her closer. Fire scorched her skin and her heart was erupting; an endless frenzy of euphoria swarming in her chest. It was completely and utterly electrifying.

When she reluctantly dragged her lips from his touch, their eyes immediately met. Peter was still for a moment, his chest lifting slightly with his small, quick breaths. And then, he smiled at her- a small but tender smile, that made her feel like the greatest person in the world.

"Cassie."

The way her name rolled off his tongue, it rang in her ears. Every time it was spoken she felt like she was hearing it for the first time. No word had ever sounded so enchanting.

She beamed and buried her face in the crook of his neck. She knew she needed to talk with him and persuade him to see sense. But in that instant, all she wanted, was to bask in the relief that he was okay. His hands moved to her back, clutching her to him tightly.

The current situation was looming over her and finally, she pulled herself away. Peter's face dropped when he saw her smile falter. "Peter." She whispered. She didn't know where to begin. Mentioning that she knew of his deception throughout her life? No- she felt as though she had forgiven him a long time ago; she needed to ask about something more recent. The Curse or Felix. Curse or Felix. They were one and the same really. So Cassandra chose three simple words that would capture everything she could possibly say. Expressing all the hurt and confusion that she felt, because of him.

"I trusted you."

Part of her wanted to take those words back immediately. She could see the pain they caused him. Trust was a commodity so invaluable. Trust could be snatched away so quickly and yet it could take some people a lifetime to build. Its fickle nature had been discovered early on. The only person you could truly trust was yourself. And so the pair of them had... until they found each other.

Then those plans became obsolete.

Knowing that they trusted only each other completely, revealing their weaknesses, it trapped them. They couldn't trick or deceive the other. Not because they could ruin them, but rather that they didn't want to. They had been caught, tangled up in a web of sentiment. And the worse part was...

They liked it.

Love was for the naive. Trust had so much more worth. You could love someone, knowing they're no good for you. You could love someone even after they broke your trust time and time again. You could love someone even if it killed you.

Saying you loved someone, did it really mean much? Not through her eyes. Not through Peter's.

Peter swung his legs off the seat inhaled deeply. Finally, he let his breath go and began to speak.

"I didn't want to, I could hear your voice in my head screaming no over and over again. But it was the only way to cast The Curse. All magic comes with a price, and that price was Felix's life."

"It should have been my life."

He shook his head. "I couldn't live with that. Besides," There was a playful hint to his voice. "If I can have The Curse and keep you then why not."

"Do you regret it?" Her voice wavered, almost fearful of discovering the answer.

"It's like you said to Rumpel, that question... has no right answer." Although she had anticipated that response, disappointment still weighed heavily in her chest. She could sense an underlying tone of smugness, he was proud that he'd gotten around the price of the great Curse which even Regina couldn't escape.

"You don't need to cast it."

His eyes shot to her, offended by her reply. "Of course I do." He took her hand, enclosing it within two of his. "The Curse would freeze time and we could be young forever."

"Why are you still obsessed with youth?" She glanced down at her hand gripped between his palms. "We've been children for long enough Peter. We've all been paying a price on Neverland, don't make us pay one here too."

"They wouldn't let us stay here." He sneered. "Why would they? They have nothing to gain, only something to lose." Grinning darkly, he withdrew his arms and instantly her hand felt cold. "It's too late now anyway, nobody can stop it."

"Well that's not true." She blurted. "Regina's out there undoing it right now."

The shock on Peter's face. He jumped up and immediately marched out of the shop without another word. Cassandra slouched, on her own in the silence of the shop. She groaned into her hands wondering when things had become so...complicated.

Suddenly, she bolted upright.

"Crap!" She chased after the boy before he could wreak havoc. Whilst the forefront of her mind was in a panic as it addressed the urgency of the situation, the corner in the back of her head was giddy. It kept smiling at the realisation.

It was True Love.

///

"Look at you all." Peter marvelled at the statues: Prince Charming and Snow White; Baelfire; Belle; The Evil Queen; The Saviour; Captain Hook; The Truest Believer; and the great Rumpelstiltskin. "A captive audience."

Cassandra edged out of Gold's shop, assessing the situation; she spotted The Curse in his grip. Peter winked at her before returning his attention to the group.

"Thinking you could defeat me with a scrap of leather-bound metal." He held up his wrist and removed the cuff. "Sorry to disappoint." He tossed it to Cassandra, bringing her to everyone's attention. She didn't know what to do, she didn't know what Peter's aim was.

He sauntered towards the frozen people, scroll in hand, grinning at the looks on their faces. "I could play with you like a pack of dolls, couldn't I? I think I'll start with these two." He indicated to Belle and Baelfire. He could sense the rage in Rumpel's eyes and he smirked. "Hmm. You both look so adorable. Hard to tell who to kill first." He said, flickering his gaze between the pair.

Panic sliced through Cassandra's body. She really hoped he was teasing, but she wouldn't put it past him. Suddenly, Cassandra noticed Rumpel's hand twitched. He was breaking free.

Peter's voice grew low. "No, it isn't." He pointed to Neal. "You. You first."

Cassandra darted forward as Rumpel raised his hand. She leapt for his arm and they were knocked to the tarmac. Peter, startled, looked immediately to the commotion. Rumpel shoved the blonde off him and clambered to his feet.

"You promised you wouldn't hurt him." Cassandra shouted from the ground.

"That was only your mother, dearie. I never made any such promise." He glared at Peter and abruptly his expression became confused. He glanced to his wrist and saw the cuff latched around it.

"No, no." He mumbled, his fingers clawing at the object. His attempts were futile and his eyes glazed over.

A laugh cut through the silence and Rumpel glanced up to see Pan beaming at him. "Oh Rumpel, still the coward you've always been."

"Peter that's enough." Cassandra told him.

"Afraid of everything without his magic."

"Peter. Please."

"Are you even able to protect your family?" Peter moved closer to Baelfire and lifted his hand.

"Stay away from them." Rumpel snarled and grabbed Cassandra. She squeaked in shock as she felt cold metal pressed to her throat. She quickly patted against her pockets... yes, it was her own dagger against her neck. She was relatively calm, she doubted Rumpel would actually harm her... Correction: she doubted Rumpel would seriously harm her.

And even if he did. Physical pain was temporary. Her heart would never stop and Peter would be able to heal her.

Her greater concern was Peter watching her suffer. She didn't want him to have to endure that.

"How about this?" Peter spoke, still seeming in control of the situation. "Threatening the life of your granddaughter to save your son. Would you actually do it Rumpel? Could Baelfire live with you after you killed his only daughter?"

"You doubt me? After everything I have done. After the countless I have killed." He pushed against the blade. Any harder and he'd draw blood. "Are you afraid Peter Pan? Or did you never truly care for her?" He was clearly trying to get some sort of reaction from the boy. But Peter's mask remained fixed.

"You kill her and your son will never forgive you, The Curse will take effect and I can rule once again. Doesn't seem too detrimental for me." He said coldly.

Cassandra scrutinized him, perplexed. She couldn't tell how serious he was. Normally she'd assume it was part of his plan, he was trying to trick Rumpel. But in Peter's eyes, he wasn't worried about her. Not in the slightest.

"What's my alternative?" He pointed out.

"You could let me have my toy, and maybe I'll give you a marginally better life." He grinned.

"I should have known." He lowered the blade and shoved Cassandra to the ground. Walking towards Peter, he sneered. "You never cared for anyone. For a moment there I thought you had gone soft."

"Really Rumpel, you should know not to underestimate me." He signalled to those still frozen in place. "Perhaps now you'll finally learn your lesson. Peter Pan never fails."

Cassandra scraped sharp stones from her palms as she stood up. She looked up the road and spotted a small crowd moving slowly towards them. And by small, she meant small in height. The Lost Boys grew closer and laid a body on the floor. She dashed to her friend's side, kneeling on the road.

"Hey Felix." She smiled sadly at his shut eyes. "You're missing out on all the action, you lazy oaf. So you don't have a heart, who cares? Did you really have one to begin with?" She chuckled and her vision began to blur. "C'mon Felix," She shook his shoulder. "Just this once, let Peter Pan have failed."

///

"You've hurt my family before," Rumpel growled. "And I am never letting that happen again."

"And how are you going to do that?" Peter smiled mockingly. "You're a coward Rumpel. That's all you ever have been. And it's all you will ever be."

"See that's where you're wrong." The man declared. "I've found someone that I love." He looked to Belle, tenderness in his eyes. "More than words can describe. And I was given the chance to reunite with my son, someone who I love so much yet let my cowardice get between us." His gaze flickered to Baelfire. "I need to ensure their happiness. I won't let my fear ruin anything ever again. Because in my experience, love can give even the greatest cowards courage."

Peter was still not convinced. Even if the threat was real. There wasn't any way he could be killed without magic, he was too strong for that.

"Shall I fill you in?" Rumpel smirked. "There was a prophecy- I do know how you love those- Henry would be my undoing. It is the price of keeping him safe. No loopholes, not anymore. I'm finally willing to pay the price."

"Prices come with magic." Peter pointed out, amused by his naive spirit. "Something you don't have."

"Oh, but I don't need it. You see, you may have lost your shadow, but there's one thing you're forgetting."

"And what's that?"

Rumpel looked at Peter triumphantly. "So have I." His eyes were wild and it put Peter on edge. "I sent it away with something to hide." He raised his hand in the air.

Peter became paranoid, what was this clever plan of Rumpel's... he couldn't work it out. He saw a shadow swoop down from the sky. It was holding something. By the time Peter figured out what it was, the dagger had already been placed in Rumpel's hand. Dread filled him. Before the boy could run out of reach, Rumpel grabbed him, tightly holding him to his chest.

Alarm bells sounded in Peter's head. He squirmed and thrashed, trying to break free, but the man's hold was too tight.

"What are you doing!" He yelled. Peter looked over Rumpel's shoulder and saw Cassie crouching by Felix's body. She was already in pain, and it was because of him. He needed to save her. He had to.

"You see, the only way for you to die, is if we both die."

"No, no Rumpel no!" Peter pleaded. He saw the blonde stand up and spin around. Peter met her eyes and her face dropped. Immediately she was in motion, racing towards the pair. But Peter knew, she wouldn't be fast enough.

"And now... now, I am ready." Rumpel sliced the blade downwards. Peter cried out in anguish.

Cassandra screamed as the metal pierced Peter's back. Her hand flew up to her chest as her heart was ripped apart. So much pain. Everything hurt. She fell, her knees bashing against the concrete.

Peter watched her fall and his heart felt as if it were exploding.

None of his major organs had been impaled. Apart from the heart.

How could he have been so stupid.

The scroll slipped through his grip and Rumpel, who had also stabbed himself, turned to dust. The spell broke and the Storybrooke residents regained control of their bodies. Belle collapsed to the floor in grief. The others all clearly shocked too.

They were also bewildered, as to why Peter was still existing, and why he was racing towards Cassandra who lay on the ground.

Peter didn't care what they thought. He needed to save her.

He rushed forwards and dived beside her. Her breathing was shallow and rapid. He gripped her hand. "Cassie." He leant over her, searching her face. "Cassie!"

"Peter." She whispered, smiling. Tears trickled down her cheeks as she blinked. "H-how?" She wanted to know how he was still alive. That was impossible.

"I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry."

"You're bleeding." She feebly traced the red blotch on his shirt.

"It's stopped. I healed it. I'm fine, I'm fine, I promise." He frantically reassured her. He needed her to stop worrying about him when she was the one who couldn't stand.

"Why does everything hurt?" She winced, her voice gradually becoming quieter.

"Shh, don't waste your energy. Everything is going to be fine." He rested his hand over her chest. The heart still beating strongly.

Because it was his heart.

He surged magic through her body, and the heart. But nothing happened.

"Peter." She croaked. "What's going on?"

"Cassie." His voice was beginning to break. Never had he been so helpless. "It's all my fault. I'm sorry."

"I-I'm fine. I wasn't hurt." She explained, although she was evidently in a lot of pain. Her lips moved, trying to speak. Peter leaned closer, moving his ear near her mouth.

"I trust you."

Peter pulled back and looked into her eyes. Those forgiving eyes. Those eyes that had seen so much. So much pain and torment. The life she had before Neverland. That was his fault. The confliction she experienced when she found out he had been lying to her since the beginning, that was his fault too.

Her whole life, how it turned out, was his fault. And now, so was her death.

He pulled her onto his lap, stroking the tangled curls. She possessed an inexplicable beauty. The kind that radiated from the soul. Magic could make anyone beautiful, a spell or two was all it took. But still, all they would be was a pretty face. Cassie however, her skin was almost translucent- all the effort she had exerted over the past months had taken its toll- and deep purple ravines curved under her eyes. She had scars, faded but still visible, leaving silver streams on her skin. And her hair, there were few words to describe the mess she had let it become, never wanting to cut it. Yet still, despite all of this. She was beautiful. Because she was his Cassie. And she always would be.

The chasm in his chest, where her heart should be beating, was empty. He had been trying to protect her. Never had he met anyone so worth his love and trust. He meant it when he said he'd rather die than lose her. So he had switched their hearts. A long time ago, before she left Neverland. He hadn't told her. It was safer that way. She was fragile, could be harmed by an ordinary sword or arrow. And against magic... she stood no chance.

Who was more likely to be injured. The powerful Peter Pan, or his vulnerable Cassie? If she was harmed... it was his heart that would be injured. It would be him that died.

How badly that plan turned out.

The Dark One's dagger had pierced her heart in Peter's chest. There was nothing he could do to heal her; the blade's power was already turning her heart to dust. He thought to merge his heart to her body. But it would kill him before he completed the transfer.

Her last breath passed her lips and Peter watched the life vanish from her eyes. He lifted her torso, cradling her head, and squeezed her to him tightly.

All magic had a price.

And he had paid it.

Ga verder met lezen

Dit interesseert je vast

45.3K 882 20
💚Under Editing Seperately💚 Taken from your true home you end up in the Enchanted Forest, living with the Evil Queen. During the dark curse you fou...
10.5K 164 14
A very long time ago, you fell in love with a boy named Malcolm, and he blessed you with a son. Only problem? You're Hecate, goddess of magic, and yo...
127K 4.5K 27
After Wendy Darling left Neverland and later died, Peter Pan was never the same. Heartbroken, he became dark and ruthless and replaced all his jolly...
36.2K 750 20
Peter Pan was lonely in Neverland. So he brought the lost boys to Neverland to accompany him. Peter Pan still felt something or someone was missing...