Burnt Embers

Av Humylash

Meet Khadijah an introvert and a very patient lady who got married at the age of 20 to her childhood heartth... Mer

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
EPILOGUE

Chapter Fifteen

3.2K 482 58
Av Humylash

*
The past five months had been terrible for Ahmad, Hauwa is no longer enthusiastic about him, he's longer her number one guy but an errand boy to her and the men she mingle around with.It hurts him real bad to be treated that way by the woman he gave up everything for .

He will endure any kind of mistreatment from her , any kind of torture and any kind of disrespect if not for anything then for the money and security she offers.

From the moment he pronounced the divorce to Cat he knew that life will never be the same for him , the void in his heart widened a bit more, he could not believe that the day he never thought is  coming has come and in a blink of an eye everything changed . He had forsaken the only link between Cat and him all for a woman who has no compassion in her heart, no love and no mercy , a woman who is fearless and live life as if she will never die but is he any better than her ? When last has he prayed the five daily prayers without skipping either subh and ishaa or only pray asr salah ? When last had he gone to the mosque to pray in congregation? The last time he recite from the holy Qur'an?that he can't remember.

Thinking of his late mother is something he forbade himself from doing, he had tried reaching his uncle but the man asked him to come down to Jigawa and visit his mother's grave ,he promised to think about it which riled his uncle up and he warned him to never show his face to him again.

Why is it that no one understands him ?he is doing  all these to get a better life for himself, agreed he's being selfish and inconsiderate but even Mama will want him to live a luxurious life.  But where is the luxury ? He had asked himself the question he doesn't have an answer to .

Driving through Ring Road he saw two women by the road side.  From a distance he recognised Cat, she was laughing at something her companion said looking so beautiful like an Angel, she was holding one of the twins while the other woman whom he can't get a view of her face is holding the other .

He drove closer and stopped the car, he came out and walked the remaining little distance from where he parked and where they were standing clearly waiting for a tricycle or commercial bus .

" Assalamu alaikum " He greeted sporting his best smile , he should have just sat in the car and watch Cat's ethereal beauty but something in him wanted to talk to her and listen to her voice maybe it will make him have a reason to continue living life .

" Wa'alaikassalam " Comes Zee's reply. Khadijah turned the other way round looking at the tricycle driving towards them and making some gestures with her hands for the driver to stop.

" I can drop you off at wherever you're going to cat " He made another attempt yet , Zee was sending daggers his way .

Unfortunately for them ,the tricyclist said he's not heading to where they are going to .

" Here ,let me take her. who is she by the way ? " He made an attempt to carry Ihsan from Cat who flinched even though his hands are not touching hers .

" Look Malam ! Please leave us be and stay out of our lives. D don't need you likewise the twins .Aren't you ashamed of yourself that you can't even tell apart your "ex kids"? " Zee bellowed.

" Zee please stop losing your cool over a stranger especially on the street, let's go " Khadijah said coolly with a dangerous edge to her voice and they left Ahmad with mouth hanging open .

Did Cat just call him a stranger? Is she really the same Cat that loves him with the whole of her heart ? Who tolerated him for almost 2years ?

He stood there like a statue till they were out of sight .With a shrug he went back to his car and drove back to Hauwa's crib totally forgetting about what she sent him to buy .

"Why are you here without the frozen chicken ?" Hauwa asked the moment he opened the door .

" Yahsalam! Am sorry let me go and get it right away something came up and I totally forgot sorry " He squeaked out with a rapidly beating heart. Knowing that she might flip and send him out of her house for good.

" What to do ?you're this dumb , useless and stupid man who knows nothing but to eat , drive my car and spend my money. Am no longer interested in the chicken courtesy of your forgetfulness now come to the bedroom I have needs " And he followed her like a lost puppy. Her words stinging him like a scorpion's bite at heart .

*

The house is a four bedrooms apartment, with a guest bedroom , a large living room with a dinning area,a modern kitchen with electrical appliances , a backyard ,a laundry room  .Big rooms adequately furnished with air conditioning and an attached toilet , a closet and vanity mirror .

The first time they came to see the house they all awwed and ohhed , not believing their luck . Ummie had cried that day thanking Alhaji Sani over and over again for being the reason behind all the good things happening to them .

It has been a week since they relocated and they still can't believe it wasn't a dream .Zee came to visit after school and D begged Ummie to let them go to a saloon nearby to wash her hair, complaining that her hair looks like that of a grandma and stinks  like a pit latrine .Zee and Ummie laughed to that and off they went .

It was on their way back that they met the devil which totally changed their moods to an angry one.  No one said a word until they reached home .

" Ha'an what's wrong with you guys? " Ummie enquired seeing their somber expressions.

" Ummie you can't believe who we saw today, it's that man and he had the nerve to offer us a lift even asking who Ihsan is " Zee said flopping down on a couch with a tired sigh .

" Subhanallah. Hope he did not try anything stupid? " knowing fully well who that man is Ummie asked again . Everyone who knows Zee know that she refer to Ahmad as that man as if saying his name out loud will cause a catastrophe.

" No, he wouldn't dare, I would've slapped him wallahi " Khadijah was looking at them like a zombie and after a while she squeezed her face with a small hiss  she  went into the kitchen.

" Madam bring your lazy self here, aunty D will be here after Asr and we have a lot of things to  prepare " D called out from the kitchen totally changing the subject. She was so happy today because her darling Afreen is coming and she get to wash her hair after a long while of having to live with a stinking hair but seeing him open up old wounds that are almost stitched up.

" okay Ma! Am coming " Zee called out from the living room passing Ihsan who was playing with a toy to ummie.

They made Samosa and meatpie then baked a cute cake for Afreen with her name beautifully designed with fondant icing.

They also made fried rice with slices of liver in it and veggies. Then natural guava drink with tiger nut juice.

Everything was set on the dinning table before the call for Asr salah was made . They ambulated to D's room and washed off the stress before praying side by side .

" Zee I can't wait to wean the twins and start school. Please don't forget to buy the JAMB form for me and the past questions and answers " Khadijah said folding the mat and her hijab .

" In shaa Allah D, but don't you think aunty D will still sponsor your education in Abuja?"

" I have wondered about the same thing too, but I can't leave you here Zee, she will understand and now that Baba can afford the fees it will be better if I don't burden her and daddy "

" That's more like my Besty,kaman kinsan I'm thinking of how sad my life is going to be if you are not near "

" See her mouth like sad. Let me go and feed my girls, be a good girl and rest before I come back " D said with a wink closing the door behind her.
She is super grateful for having such a wonderful soul like Zee in her life.She had promised to come and help her prepare a welcome feast for Aunty D and Afreen and never for once has she ever complained on how D is always in need of her help, she is her super woman one whom life will be meaningless without.

An hour later, they were laughing over a post on Instagram when they heard a sweet voice calling aunty D out with all her might .

" Yes love I'm here !" D got up from her slouched position,totally forgetting about her discarded scarf and ran to the living room where she engulfed Afreen in a warm hug.

" Welcome my Angel  how was your trip ?hope you're not too tired? " D asked Afreen who is still in her arms .

" Fine Alhamdulillah Aunty D ,I've missshed you so much " Afreen said excitedly .

" I missshed you soo much too darling , now say hi to aunty zee she couldn't wait to see you too " with that Afreen ran and hugged Zee .

Raising from her crouched position Khadijah staggered back in shock , the person she saw smiling at her and looking directly into her eyes made her tremble .

" Ya ..ya ....ya kkaybee when did you come back ?" She stammered wishing she has an invisible cloak because her hair is opened.

" Surprise little sis " he Finally said with a nervous chuckle. 

" Indeed it is a surprise to see you, Welcome " She whispered not even sure whether he heard her or not .

" Wariyar launin fata, hello I'm right here D " Mommy Finally said after observing the two waiving her hands .

"Yahsalam, my favorite old woman, I totally forgot about you, come in welcome" D said hugging mommy and dragging her deeper into the living room.

" Just shut up. I don vex already "

" Haba mana I'm really sorry forgive me mommy " D gave mommy her best puppy look and they all burst into a fit of laughter including kaybee at how Mommy kept whining like a three year old.

They all nattered away for a while D still not believing that Ya Kaybee is here .

At the table Afreen sat on Khadijah's laps and she fed her listening to her stories with keen interest as if she's telling her about how to save the world , Kaybee's attention was on them and that of mommy was on the three, she kept smiling to her self and giving Ummie the look, urging her to watch Kaybee .

" Ya Kaybee. You're not eating koh abincin is not delicious? " D brought Kaybee out of reverie .

"No, it's super delicious the best since when I came back,just thinking of something, you're a good cook sis " he complimented and they continued eating in silence .

After the hearty supper Kaybee asked the question which is at the tip of his tongue.

" DeeDee why are you here? What type of a housewife are you ? "

Everyone's demeanor changed except Afreen who has no idea what was going on playing with the twins .

" She is a divorcee , for over five months now " Ummie said with a sad voice .

" Subhanallah, how ? What happened? Was she not married to that guy who love her so much ?" He asked baffled and shocked .

" It was him but he turned out to be a beast " Khadijah ran to her room, and Zee followed suit .

She was crying loudly, the first time she let anyone see her tears while in the living room Ummie and mommy filled Kaybee in on what happened, he almost shed tears pitying his sister and wishing he was around to do something to protect her , he is angry at Ahmad for betraying a sweet kind girl like D .

" In shaa Allah it's for the best, I hope a nice man will remarry her again and treat her good " Kaybee finally said after a long stretch of silence .

" in shaa Allah " Ummie and Mommy chorused in unison .

The next day Kaybee watched how indeed close Afreen and D are, how much they adore and understand each other. He was pretending to read an article on his phone when Afreen tapped him

" Abba can I call aunty D Mamie please ?" The little girl asked with such innocence that breaks his heart everytime he see her and remember her mother .

" Yes princess, if Aunty D Is okay with it then I don't mind " .

"Yay!!! Thank you Abba ! Ah luvvvvvuuuuu" Afreen squealed out in delight .

Afreen ran to D who was cooking lunch in the kitchen happily " Mamie !!! Abba agreed that I should be calling you Mamie isn't my Abba the coolest? "

Khadijah was surprised at the new name given by Afreen " Ohh really darling ? Hope you said thank you to Abba ? I really love the name dear God bless you " Khadijah cooed patting her head and Afreen leapt up in joy .

" Mamie do you know my favorite Food ?"

" Nah I don't why don't you tell Me so that I will Cook it for you ?" Khadijah asked concentrating on what she was frying .

" It's Indomie " Afreen said with enthusiasm.

Khadijah laughed at that with hands akimbo   " Really Afree? I thought it's something special "

" Indomie is the best and most special food on earth, my nanny said so and even Jaddatie agreed that it's the best " Afreen said with a pout .

" Alright dear I agree with nanny and Jaddatie too now go and say hi to Abba before I serve you your lunch then we will cook a delish indomie later on what say ?" Afreen nodded with a smile and ambulated to meet her dad who has been eavesdropping on their conversation.

Mommy and Ummie went out to visit some friends and relatives and didn't come back till late afternoon .They met Khadijah ,Kaybee and Afreen in the living room playing a game .

" Iyye , enjoyment can I join you guys ?" Mommy teased .

" No" The threesome said at the same time .

" So you've ganged up on me huh ? Don't worry Afreen I will never take you to the park or buy Ice cream for you " Mommy feign to be serious .

" Am sorry Jaddatie , come and play "

" Afreen you broke my heart, Jaddatie is too old to play " D pouted and squeezed her face as if she is going to cry .

Afreen sat on Khadijah's laps and made a face " Mamie don't  cry please Jaddatie is joking right Jaddatie ?" The little girl looked at Mommy waiting for affirmation.

Mommy nodded in the affirmative and Afreen smiled happily.

They were busy talking about everything and nothing when Baba came back from the office and they all welcomed him back .He joined them and they made some banters until the adhan for maghrib salah was called .

" Princess let's go pray " D said motioning for Afreen to hold her hands and Kaybee smiled .

" Okay Mamie, I have a pink small praying mat in Abuja. I did not bring it tho"

" Don't worry I will buy a new one for you "

" Thank you Mamie ! " they kept talking while walking until they went into the room.

After coming back from the masjid , kaybee was bored sitting alone in the living room and Khadijah and Afreen are Still inside , he decided to take them out for a treat, taking his phone out he dialled Khadijah's phone and told her to get ready ,he Is taking them out.

15 minutes later, Khadijah came out with the twins and Afreen, D and Afreen wearing the same type of Ankara gown which D sewed for them together since before she was divorced  .They look so beautiful like a mother and her biological daughter.

' Masha Allah tabarakallah 'kaybee muttered underneath his breath .

Mommy came out and was surprised to see them
" Ahh an where to ?" She inquired with a stern voice .

" I was about to call you mommy, we are going out for some treats with D and the kids, am bored out of my wits and I  want to see how kano looks like at night " Kaybee answered scratching the back of his neck

" Ohh nice , bring something for the oldies " Mommy dismissed them and Kaybee carried one of the twins admiring how neat they all are and loving the scent of the cologne D sprayed on the kids and maybe herself too.

The car ride at first was a  bit awkward,  Kaybee didn't know what was wrong with him. He is suddenly seeing D in a different perspective , he pities her a lot and cannot imagine what she went through, he is a man but is still hurting over what his ex wife did to him, he really admired her courage and wish she can tell him how she is coping .

He finally summoned the courage to say something " I heard what happened and I am really sorry sis , it is a test and in shaa Allah you'll be happy again. You will find someone who knows your worth and will do anything for your happiness. Just keep praying "

" Amin thanks Ya Kaybee, but I doubt if there's that kind of person on earth " D said with a sad chuckle.

" There is D, there is ,you should just be prayerful and optimistic ". From then on they kept talking ,mostly D asking about how life abroad is and his work .

" You should go back to school " He suggested

" I will join next session in shaa Allah. I have already given Zee the money to buy JAMB  form for me "

"That's cool , best of luck smarty. You're going to make it in shaa Allah" .

They had cupcakes with Ice cream at a nice place then went to shoprite .Kaybee bought a lot of baby clothes for the twins despite D's protest .

On their way back Afreen who was sleepy looked up at D and said " Mamie will you teach me how to recite some du'as tomorrow just like we did today ?"

" yes dear in shaa Allah I will ,now go to sleep. I will carry you inside when we reach home " D answered with a smile .

" You're so good with kids, she literally worships you, did you know that when I came back the first thing she asked is when are we going to see her Aunty D? Thank you D for taking care of her like a mother will her child " Kaybee said giving D a sideway glance while driving .

" Haba Ya Kaybee don't Mention, she is my daughter too " D replied suddenly feeling shy .

When they reached Kaybee picked the twins and D took Afreen .

" Aren't they so cute together? " Mommy asked Ummie in a hushed tone and Ummie nodded from their hiding place .They high fived each other .

After tucking the children in and changing into pyjamas, D made ginger and lemon tea and took it to Baba and Kaybee who thanked her.

" I failed as a father to D and it hurts me to see her like this " Baba voiced out his thoughts to Kaybee .

" It was not your fault Baba, it was destined to happen, she is a strong girl, she will be happy again in shaa Allah " they sipped their tea in companioble silence before finally calling it a day and retiring to bed .

°•°

I can't believe I  updated today, like seriously what's wrong with me ?Okay let me tell you what happened ! I was sitting and then an idea came to my head and I typed it away before it escapes from my memory .

Mashaa Allah su Khadijah fa an zama well to do fellaz harda su cake and tea at night , for all of you out there fan girling for K and D I will disappoint you guys unless if you do biyayyah ehe !

With love and hope that you've had a beautiful Friday ; Humylash

Fortsätt läs

Du kommer också att gilla

312K 30.6K 184
it's pure imagination story, to know more, start to read, hopefully with the smile..
9.3K 434 9
Love stories are unbidden. It can happen anytime and between anyone. It can unfold in the most unexpected ways. It's often a surprise, and it can be...
66.2K 13.4K 42
A fiction book about two people meant to be, a book about Hammad and Yusrah. Hammad Buba Marwa is a 31-year-old microbiologist and, a handsome, class...
216K 19.7K 26
Note : Includes Private chapters! Story of a boy who loved a girl till stars shine, but all he got was heart break, in the journey of his heart b...