The Purple Children (Book 1 o...

By AldrineFualo

Lavander knows she's not normal; she can move things with her mind, she can make a pencil her weapon, she can... More

Chapter 1: Last Day
Chapter 2: The Letter
Chapter 3: My Death
Chapter 5: Revelations
Chapter 6: Home
Chapter 7: Moms
Chapter 8: Memories
Chapter 9: Running Enzo
Chapter 10: Fingertips
Chapter 11: Agnus Fray
Chapter 12: Revolvers
Chapter 13: Anger
Chapter 14: Invisible Nancy
Chapter 15: A Long Drive
Chapter 16: The Waitress with dyed red hair
Chapter 17: Shape Shifting Athena
Chapter 18: Nancy's Story
Chapter 19: Transaction with a Cowboy Guy
Chapter 20: The Battle
Chapter 21: Coated with Valour
Author's Note (Important, Please Read)
Coated with Valour Preview
Prologue (Proposed prologue for the revised Purple Children)
Blazing with Fire

Chapter 4: The Picture

8.8K 183 43
By AldrineFualo

Chapter 4: The Picture

I opened my eyes, the smell of melting cheese and pasta engulfed the room I’m in. I blocked the light from my eyes; they were still adjusting from the nap that I just had. I don’t’ recognize this place, white walls, a small fat T.V. in front of the bed and a door which I guess leads to the bathroom. It’s not my room, or Bryce’s. Was it Devin’s? I really don’t know and I don’t have the energy to guess. Devin seated beside me, he’s holding a bowl. I do not know what’s in it but judging from the smell of the room, it was Mac and Cheese, although I really couldn’t tell my nose might also be adjusting, I’m just guessing.

His face was blurry, it’s really hard for me to focus, “War wyu yawrayt?” Devin said. I couldn’t decode what he was telling. Was he speaking in tongues, one of his other abilities maybe?

I groaned, honestly I don’t even know what to say, so my brain might have given its closest answer. I squinted my eyes to get a better view of Devin. His hair was wet and dripping from what I can see. He was wearing his white inner shirt which he always wore and some boxers on.

He moved closer to me, “Lawander war you awright?” he said once again adjusting the volume of his voice, my brain can somehow translate it. I’m thinking he’s asking if I’m alright. I gathered my thoughts and said the first word that pops in my mind.

I slapped him softly for being too loud, “Water...” I said, after all the wondering I have in my mind, I didn’t notice that my throat was desert dry; I hardly even say the word water. I removed the blanket which covered me and notice that I am sweating too much under it.

Devin placed the bowl on the desk beside me; he then rushed at the refrigerator to grab me a bottle of water. He opened it for me assuming he knew that I don’t have the power to open it myself. The water was refreshing, like finding an air-conditioned room from a hot sunny day outside. I didn’t feel alive but at least I regained some energy. Devin then passed the bowl to me, it was Mac and Cheese after all, I swallowed all of it, I didn’t chew much of it, it’s like my stomach wanted food immediately.

I finished the bowl of Mac and Cheese, “More.” I said and gave the bowl to Devin, I started regaining some energy which I had lost but when I tried moving my legs I had a very hard time doing so because they were too sore from the rest I just took.

“Sure, Bryce, get your sister some more of that thing.” Devin said. He just called Mac and Cheese that thing, it bugs me but I’m so hungry that I didn’t care. Devin took a towel from his bag and dried his wet hair, he threw it by the other side of the bed once he’s finish.

“Lavander, are you alright?” he pressed his arms on my forehead then neck, checking if I have fever or something. I didn’t felt ill but my whole body was sore from whatever happened. I can’t feel my legs and my hands were very numb. I tried moving them but I can only manage very few movements. 

“Am I dead?” I touched his arms to feel the warmth of his body. I still am very alive. His skin was soft to the touch, like a baby’s skin. It surprised me considering he was a guy and around my age.

He pinched my arms, I finally felt some pain, “Still dead?” he laughed a little. I don’t know what’s funny about it, so I looked at him seriously. I guessed he took the hint and stopped laughing; he fell silent, feeling guilty of what he just did or what an epic failure his joke was.

“You’re not dead,” Devin said seriously this time, “after your little fight with those two other guys, I found you unconscious. I took you to your car, and I came back for Bryce. We’re now in this motel just outside town.” he said. He took his bowl from the desk and continued eating his Mac and Cheese.

“Okay, I’m not dead,” I looked at the other side of the bed, “pick up that towel.” I pointed at the towel which he just threw.

Devin stubbornly picked his towel up, “Really? You’re going to ask me to do chores?” he went to the bathroom to hang his towel, I felt more comfortable that he just did that.

Bryce came in with another bowl of Mac and Cheese. He placed it on the desk and hugged me, hugged me tight. I was tearing up and he was too. I lift my aching arms to hug him back. I manage to wipe the tears from my eyes and smiled at him. It was nice to know that he was still alive.

I rubbed his hair, “Still alive, just like I promised” I said to him. I did not expect to fulfil my promise, but I believe that was the power of believing in promises.

He was silent, overwhelmed maybe from the fact that I’m supposed to be dead right now. He wiped his tears and smiled back.  

I remembered the gunshot which was one of the last things I could remember, “I was shot, at the back, what happen to it? I can feel it anymore.” I stretched my arms to my back, touching the spot where the bullet had hit me. It’s just skin, no cracks or bandages. I could feel some dried blood in there but it wasn’t very significant.

“Well, when I found you, your back was stained with blood.” Devin answered. I looked at my shirt; I’m no longer in my black top, instead I’m in a pink bathroom robe, my bra was still there. I looked at Devin with raging eyes, part of it because he saw some private things, and the other, because of the pink robe.

Devin crawled next in bed with me, “Bryce did it, relax” Devin answered. I couldn’t stay mad at him after all he has done for me, I should be thankful, but the thought of him seeing me naked was another thing I would really be angry about.

He lay down comfortably right beside me, “I saw nothing. I promise.” Devin added. It sounds sincere and yet sarcastic. I don’t want to put my thoughts on it anymore.

I sat up and took the bowl from the desk and ate some more Mac and Cheese. I can’t believe that something as simple as Mac and Cheese could taste like heaven. It feels like I haven’t eaten for days, it definitely fulfilled my grumbling tummy.

“How long was I out?” I asked both of them while my mouth was still full. I was curious to know, I can feel that I was out for a long time since my whole body was aching.

“You passed out around nine thirty, it’s now eight in the morning, I’ll say around 23 hours or so.” Devin replied back, he closed his eyes for a moment and yawned like being asleep for 23 hours was not big news.

I nearly choked on my food, 23 hours! That’s nearly a day. No wonder I felt thirsty and hungry. I was only thinking of at least 8 hours or so. I took my phone from the table just to assure. There were text messages from my other classmates but I erased them all since I don’t care about what they have to say.

I noticed my bag lying at the corner of the bed. I quickly remembered the letter my mom left for me. I stood up and grab my bag. I checked if the letter was still inside the notebook I hid it on, it still was. The sides were a bit crumpled but I still can read it. A moment of silence for me, I tried to recall my mom since this letter brings memories of her. Sweet and tender memories, like cooking pies together or going to the beach, even a going to the groceries was memorable. The letter reminds me of her grocery list, I never knew something small could be worth missing.

Bryce went closer, “Can I take a look?” Bryce asked. He sat beside me and started to peak.

I quickly hid it under my back, “No!” I replied back. I feel awful for scolding him like that.

“It’s indicated that it’s for me when I’m eighteen which is next week, you got that?” I lied, I can’t think of anything right now, I can’t let Bryce have the information in Mom’s letter, I guess the less he knew, the safer he would be. I can’t tell him that he can’t come with me in Mirrston. That would hurt him. Unless he already knew, which made me think?

I scratched my head, thinking if I should ask my question, I did anyway, “Did you saw anything from the future?” I asked him. What’s the point of hiding such information if he already knows what’s going to happen.

“I know about Mirrston,” he’s face was neutral, “and the part where you have to leave me.” he then replied. He doesn’t look sad or disappointed.

I took his hands, “I won’t, I promise, I can’t leave you here, all by yourself. You can’t even cook your own meal.” I gave him friendly punch in the shoulder afterwards.

Bryce giggled a little, “I know you won’t leave me, you’ll be there when I die” Bryce answered back, he was happy and yet serious, very odd. The mood change, I don’t want to reply, I just looked at him and quickly tried to change the topic. As much as possible I would want to change the subject, I can’t think of anybody dying right now. I just hugged him again and rub his back. 

I looked at the envelope once again and took the group picture out. I didn’t get a good look at it at the bathroom. It’s obviously a group picture. Everyone looked formal and happy. It seemed they had a reunion or something; they were in a Chinese looking restaurant with red carpets and murals of dragons at the background. There were tables and people eating at the background as well.

Devin moved in closer to take a peak, “It’s my dad.” Devin said. He pointed at the man at the corner. It’s almost five years since I last saw him. He resembled his father a lot. Mr. M’Conehey wass fatter, maybe the result of drinking alcohol, he’s not alcoholic tough. Devin could be what Mr. M’Conehey looks like back when he was young, it’s like looking at others from the past.

Bryce and I snuggled at the bed, “There’s Mom...” Bryce pointed out the girl sitting in the middle. Our mom had her smile, she looked happy and well relaxed in there, not like when I last saw her. Serious face, eye bugs show signs of stress, she didn’t even forced a smile when she left us. She just looked at me, nod then left.  That memory was stuck in my mind. If I could renew the memory of my mom, I hope it’s this one. She’s so pretty in the picture, her hair was curly, she had her make up on, and she looked like she had a lot of fun. It made me smile and made me think she’s still alive. I changed my thought; I don’t want anybody to die.

I counted the people in the picture and recounted just to make sure I was right, there were ten of them. Could it be? I turn the picture around and found two words encrypted in it. Elder Knights.

“They must be the Elder Knights.” I said. Devin looked at me. He doesn’t know yet who they are or that his father was an elder knight just like my mom.

“Who?” he asked, I gave him the note. He read it and studied it. From the look on his face I could tell that he is also overwhelmed by the information he just took in.

“You’re the eldest Devin?” I asked. It’s a silly question tough; I know he’s an only child. I’ve been with since I can remember. I never saw him with a brother or a sister.

“Yes, I am an only child.” he replied back, “does that mean I’m one of the Purple Children?” he the continued. He’s face was puzzled.

I did the math, “I guess so, there’s the two of us, so there’s eight to go.” I said back to him.

I took out a red marker out of my bag and put a red dot on my mom’s and Mr. M’Conehey’s cheeks. It means that their children are found. I counted the cheeks left unmark, ‘eight to go’ I said to myself.

“Where could we find this other eight” asked Devin. He lay down beside me and get comfortable.

“I don’t know? I guess Bryce can help.”  we both looked at Bryce, but what we saw was not Bryce, he had white pupils, he’s hair was starting to go from blonde to a rich brown colour. I’ve seen this before happen to him, it’s so rare though, whenever this happen he was usually alone.

“What’s happening to him? Is he ok?” Devin asked me out of curiosity. He got to his knees and tried to shake Bryce awake.

I immediately stopped him, “I’ve seen this before.” I replied back

“When?” Devin asked again. He just sat back and watched Bryce do his thing.

“The day before my father died. He’s looking at the future.” I said to him.

....................................................................................................................................

So what do you think Bryce is looking at? Comment below?

I would love to hear your thoughts, so please comment

If you love this chapter, please vote

If you would like to be updated, please put it in your reading list or fan me

thanks for all the support, it literally does mean a lot to me

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

106K 2.4K 40
๐–๐ก๐š๐ญ ๐๐จ ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ ๐ฆ๐ž๐š๐ง?" ๐š๐ฌ๐ค๐ž๐ ๐Š๐ž๐ข๐ญ๐ก. "๐ˆ ๐ฆ๐ž๐š๐ง, ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ๐ซ ๐ฎ๐ง๐œ๐ฅ๐ž ๐ข๐ฌ ๐™๐š๐ซ๐œ๐จ๐ง." === ๐’๐ž๐š๐ฌ๐จ๐ง 1 After fighting Zarkon...
12.7K 380 22
This is Book 2 (after Futuristic Four) If you could fix every mistake you've ever made with the press of a button, would you? What if by pressing tha...
We Broke By Elisabeth

Mystery / Thriller

1.3K 164 47
But there was something about Charlotte. She wasn't like the most prettiest girl in the world, but anyone with heart could tell that she had a beaut...
249K 11.2K 40
Lol, first Klance! Hope you all enjoy! Keith has been haunted since he fought with the Druid. His hand... It just healed... That wasn't a normal thin...