Another Kind Of Magic - A Sev...

By AmethystRavengrey

Professor Snape has never been very passionate about teaching. Dealing with students incapable of following d... More

Prologue
The Assignment
On Time
Intruder
What Essay?
Did Someone Say Squirrel?
(Un)Familiar
Student's Pet
Lost And Found
Caught
Secret Passage
Hagrid's Hut
Conspiracy
Table Talk
An Unexpected Gift
The Yule Ball
Closer
Blood and Tears
Rage
No Escape
Dreaming of Reality
Forever
Epilogue

Burning

5.1K 196 64
By AmethystRavengrey

Quickly, she folded her fingers around the necklace, hiding it in her palm. "Professor Snape! We were just ..." Lena stumbled over her own words with a tell-tale blush on her frozen cheeks.

".... up to something?" he concluded without a hint of amusement in his voice.

Jessica seized the opportunity to rescue her friend. "Lena isn't feeling well, Sir, so we returned early."

"I see." He lifted an eyebrow, tilting his head in obvious suspicion as he inspected the student in question. "Then, Ms. Flowers, I shall accompany you to the infirmary."

He didn't wait for any further excuses but turned his back to the Slytherins and headed into the direction of the hospital wing, apparently expecting Lena to follow.

Jessica gave the insecure girl a helpless shrug before she obeyed the Potions Master's unvoiced command.

With a queasy feeling, she rushed after him down the corridor, repeatedly investigating the secret treasure in her hand. She couldn't think of an explanation as to why the pendant had suddenly started to glow white, but she was determined to uncover its magic. Why had the witch given her the necklace for free? And moreover, who was she? Could she trust that the lady hadn't given her a cursed amulet?

So many questions whirled in Lena's head that she became lightheaded and uncharacteristically bold. As her eyes rested on the broad shoulders in front of her, which were covered with heavy, black fabric, an absurd thought crossed her mind. Maybe the Potions Master had an answer? Maybe he could shed some light on this extremely confusing encounter with the witch? It probably wasn't one of her best ideas, it wasn't even a good one. If she was honest, it was a pretty stupid one. Nevertheless, options were limited, and she would just take her chances. A gruff response was better than not trying at all. At least, that's what she convinced herself to believe.

Exhaling deeply, she braced herself for the rude remarks her inquiry was about to elicit. And then, with a slight tremor in her voice, she dared to address him.

"Professor?"

He didn't slow down, didn't even turn his head. He just kept on rushing through the castle as if his life depended on it.

"Yes?" he spat.

"I was wondering if you happen to know the woman who works at Dervish & Banges?"

Now the professor did halt, regarding Lena with a deep frown. "What woman?"

"The ... The witch at the store." Why did he have to be so intimidating? Lena hated the fact that she sounded like a silly three-year-old who yet had to master the use of language whenever she spoke to him. It took all of her willpower to continue. "Gray hair, red glasses, very slim, and very friendly."

"I have no idea what you're talking about," he stated flatly, wrinkling his forehead. "There is only one person who works there and has for as long as I can remember. The man does have gray hair, but no glasses, and surely can't be mistaken for a woman."

"Oh." Lena chewed on her lip, thinking. "Maybe she is new."

"Certainly not," he scoffed. "I was there this morning and I can assure you that I did not come across a witch who would fit your description, not even remotely. Mr. Yardley is still the only shop assistant."

Lena suddenly felt a wave of nausea rolling through her stomach. "Are you sure?"

The Potions Master looked at her as if she had lost her mind. "Indeed, I am," he drawled. "Do you have any reason to doubt my sincerity?" The corner of his mouth revealed a slight smirk, as his black eyes attentively roamed over the girl's face, following her jawline down to her neck, further tracing the elegant bow of the collar bone to the row of buttons on her chest, unaware how furiously her heart was beating underneath. Tormenting her even more, his gaze dropped down to her legs, before two raven-black eyes locked again with her own.

The intensity of his look had lit a fire in Lena's body, which, unfortunately for her, had the very apparent side effect of hot, flushed cheeks and jelly-like limbs.

"Do you have a fever, Ms. Flowers?" Professor Snape's deep and calm baritone only barely reached her foggy brain.

This voice! It only made matters worse. Desperately trying to get a grip, Lena pressed her lips together and slowly shook her head.

He held her gaze as he stepped closer. "Your face looks like it is burning up."

Say something, she scolded herself helplessly. Come on, Lena, play along! Unless you want him to know what he does to you.

It was as if his presence, the attention he was giving her, robbed her of any control over her body, and no matter how hard she tried to focus, she was unable to regain it. She could feel her lips part slightly, attempting to form a coherent sentence, but the words seemed to be stuck in her throat.

"Am I making you nervous?" The Potions Master asked in an unusually soft manner, releasing thousands of butterflies in the girl's stomach.

She swallowed hard before a response fled her mouth, wrapped in nothing more than a breath, not even waiting for her brain's approval. "Yes."

As soon as she realized what she had just admitted, Lena slapped herself mentally. Several times. I didn't really say that out loud, did I?

Professor Snape's expression was unreadable, it was as detached as ever, but the tone of his voice gave away that he was struggling to maintain his stoic countenance. "And why would that be .... " Another step. " ... Ms. Flowers?"

He was so close Lena could feel the warmth of his body caress her skin, sweetly teasing her, flooding her senses with the overwhelming desire to be as close to him as possible. The world around her faded into nothingness, as she drowned in the unsearchable abyss of cold black onyx. And there, somewhere in the depths of his gaze lay a warm, soft shimmer, well-hidden underneath a layer of strict authority.

"Ow!" Lena yelped and immediately dropped the necklace that had burned her palm.

The Potions Master eyed the brightly glowing item curiously and finally crouched down to examine it more closely. The white light was radiating with such brilliance that it was impossible to make out the actual shape of the pendant.

"What is that?" he demanded to know, gone was the warmth in his voice.

"A necklace." Lena was well aware that her answer was stupid, but her professor emphasized this fact by scowling at her.

"I can see that," he hissed in annoyance. "The question is, why is it glowing like that?"

Before she had a chance to say anything, he got back up on his feet and grabbed her arm, angrily pulling the sleeve of her coat up. Whatever it was he was looking for, he seemed to be pleased with the bare, untarnished skin he found.

Instantly, he let go of her again and mumbled, "One can never be too cautious."

Lena couldn't help but think that this was a very strange way of apologizing, especially after such odd behavior.

She knew it was unwise to request more information, but curiosity was stronger than reason. "What were you hoping to find, Sir?"

Professor Snape apparently didn't want to explain himself, as he just produced his wand and made the necklace levitate in front of him. "Answer me!"

Its radiance had died down, so much so that Lena was confident enough to snatch it away from under his nose and stuff it in her pocket.

"Just a harmless necklace," she defended herself weakly.

Without warning, his fingers found her arm for a second time as they closed around her slender wrist, turning her palm up. A burn mark reddened the entirety of her skin. "Don't lie to me," he grumbled.

"Ah, Severus!"

The Headmaster's voice made Professor Snape instantly release his student.

"I was looking for you," Dumbledore smiled.

"Headmaster, I was just accompanying Ms. Flowers to the infirmary," the dark wizard stammered awkwardly, as if Albus had just walked in on something that wasn't meant for his eyes.

"Of course you were," the Headmaster winked happily, making Lena blush deeply. "But I'm afraid she will have to find the way to the hospital wing without you. A couple of Slytherin students are sitting in my office, waiting for their Head of House to determine the extent of their punishment, as they were found hexing first-year Hufflepuffs while out in Hogsmeade. I must admit, though, it is hard not to laugh at the sight of Garrett sporting his new floppy dachshund ears."

With an intense, suspicious look aimed at his student, the Potions Master gave a curt nod and followed Dumbledore upstairs.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

32.5K 959 25
Starting school at Hogwarts you, Hermione, Ron, and Harry stumble upon something's that point to a certain potions professor being up to no good. Fee...
982K 31.9K 37
Severus Snape: one of the most despised Hogwarts Teachers; the Head of Slytherin House and The Potions Master. Rude, snarky, and generally cold-hear...
4K 135 38
A seventh year hufflepuff girl (y/n) falls deeply in love with her potions master who happens to be your best friend's family friend, Professor Snape...
877 95 15
In this story, (Y/n) has been an Astronomy Professor for 2 years. She has also been dating the one and only Professor Snape since the beginning of he...