Fostering Love

By Sue_Doe_Nim

"While I may not have the perfect life, I manage and I don't want you ruining this for me. . ." Hallie Willow... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5

Chapter 6

16 2 0
By Sue_Doe_Nim

Since it was the big game today, I thought it would have been nice to cancel the tutoring session this morning.

Not.

I thought that it would have been nice, yes. But it is also nicer to help those in need of making better grades.

We met up at 5 again. My body was slowly adjusting to the early time and now it was getting easier.

"You excited for today's game?" Ethan asked excitedly while writing down notes for history.

"Not exactly, but I'm glad that you are excited. Endorphins make you smarter, you'll make a better grade." I said smiling as I munch on a granola bar.

Ethan gives me a playful look. I could see a plan forming in his head.

Then out of nowhere, Ethan grabs my notes and runs away from me.

"Wai—what are you doing?!" I say laughing as I get out of my chair to chase past him.

"You called me dumb, you smarty!"

"I did not call you dumb at all."

Ethan keeps on running but I caught up to him, much to his surprise.

"Damn, you can run fast." He says as he holds the notes above his tall frame. He isn't that much taller than me, but I still couldn't reach it.

"Was this some sort of test?" I say jumping to reach the notes.

Ethan smiles down at me, "yeah, you ran from the bus stop, but how was I supposed to know that you actually ran and just walked all the way only to fake running so I will pity you?"

I scrunch my eyebrows together, "What the hell? Ethan you have one silly mind."

"It's not as silly as yours, Miss 'I'll go into a giggle fit when someone apologizes about using a nickname with me.'"

"That's a long name, who is she? Another one of your side chicks?" As I say this I leap up to grab the notebook causing Ethan to lose his balance. I finally got the notebook, but the man was falling forward, and with my week arms, there was only one thing I could do.

Fall with him.

Honestly, it hurt a lot more than I thought it would have. I wasn't expecting him to be so clumsy. I thought there was some way that maybe he could've caught his fall. Well I guess that ended up being me.

"Owwwwww, Ethan, why did you have to fall forward?" I ask holding the back of my head with my hands. Both my head, and my right elbow are going to be bruised now because of this guy.

"I wouldn't mind if you were." Ethan lifts himself up resting his elbows on either side of me.

"What?" I ask confused. Ethan has this look in his eyes that almost takes my breath away. I get so mesmerized by his eyes, that I completely forgot that we were laying on the cafeteria floor.

"Just kidding, I don't have side chicks, Miss 'I think my apprentice is dumb and a play boy.'"

"I did not say, nor think that."

"Sure," Ethan says getting off of me.

Once he stands he holds out his hand to me and I take it.

We linger there for a minute or two, me holding his hand up, knowing if I put my hand down, he'll break the handholding.

I look at the hand I'm holding. It wasn't longing, but rather curiosity. Ethan didn't seem like the playboy type. I was curious though how his hands are used. Has he held any other girls' hands? Does he hold hands with a lot of people? They are both calloused and soft, as if they were hardworking, yet gentle.

Once I was done examining his hands, I let his go. Yet, Ethan ends up grabbing mine right back.

I look up at Ethan with confused eyes, was he not weirded out by my curiosity?

Ethan looks a my hand for a second before I hear someone clear their throat. I turn around to see Joe.

I sign 'hello' in sign language to Joe. He signs back that he is sorry for interrupting, but it was almost time for football practice. I turn to Ethan and am shocked by what I see.

Ethan wasn't the confident, in charge Ethan I knew, he was blushing, and refused to look at either Joe or me. Could he be embarrassed?

"Hey Joe just said that it's almost time for football." I look at the clock on the wall of the cafeteria. "You have about 10 minutes to get there and be ready on time."

Ethan just nods really quickly and goes to get his stuff together. I sign 'thank you' to Joe and go get my stuff together as well.

"Hey so. . . I'll see you at the game?" I try to bring up a conversation, I don't like the tense atmosphere he is creating.

"Hm? Oh. Yeah. I'll see you there." Ethan grabs his backpack, slings it over his shoulder, and leaves.

Once I've gotten my bag around me, I turn to Joe and sign 'what a weird boy.'

Joe just looks at me and smiles shaking his head.

I would've laughed too if I was witnessing this situation as well.

Throughout the day, Ethan acts weird around me. Honestly I didn't care that much but I don't like the idea that I possibly caused this weirdness. Was he hurt by what I said? About the side chick? I was only kidding.

I turn to talk to Ethan but the moment I do so, he asks help from another person about the problem he was working on.

It wasn't my job to be his teacher, I knew that. I knew if he wanted to ask someone else for help he could have, but this oddly hurt. I tried to overhear their conversation, the guy he was asking help from was not giving him the right answer.

"Hey, Ethan," he continued to ignore me, "Eeeethaaaan." I whisper, still no answer.

Well for the sake of his grade I write on a piece of paper how to correctly solve the problem. I shove the paper under his arm but it won't budge. I shove and shove, but it just ends up a crinkly mess, bent like an accordion. I try again and I can see from my peripheral vision that Ethan's shoulders were shaking. I stop and look at him. He was laughing.

I end up lifting Ethan's arm and shoving the paper between his arm and the desk. I let go of his arm as it flops onto the desk. He finally looks as me, "what was that for?" He asks with a smirk.

"Well I am glad you are not mad at me, I am sorry if I said anything stupid earlier, here are the correct answers to your questions you asked Davis." I said pointing at the notes I wrote out for him.

"Sorry for earlier. . .?" He looks away from me thinking, the he figures it out and turns to me with a wide eyed look in disbelief.

"Hold up, what are you sorry for again?" He asks with squinted eyes, as if trying to see through my head.

"I used the term side chick earlier, and even though I didn't say it, it was misunderstood that I thought you were dumb, which I don't by the way. I don't want you mad at me for that, I honestly didn't mean it."

Ethan's disbelieving look grew, his eyebrows scrunching together as his smile grew even more, "What in the hell. . ." He looks up at the ceiling, "What in the hell is this thinking."

He turns back to me, "Miss Willows, you are definitely like no other."

"I would hope not." I smile, I like the thought of me being different. I always have been.

Ethan's look doesn't disappear until he chuckles and shakes his head returning to his work.

I look at him, trying to figure out what he meant, but I end up losing interest and going back to my own work as well.

*

The crowd goes wild as the team scores another touchdown. People were cheering and laughing. Excitement gleaming in their eyes. Their eyes unseen because they were grinning so much. Everyone was so happy.

That is, everyone on the opposing team.

The Oakcreek Bears have lost quite a few games in the past 4 years. Yet, we always win against Blue Field High School, regardless of how bad we are.

Though, tonight, everything changed, and in more ways than one.

The score was 6-56. To say that was embarrassing was an understatement. I was on the field. No, I wasn't playing in the game. I was on the field with my cheer/dance team, the Oakcreek Wanda's.

It's almost a mixture of cheer and dance because Oakcreek High School's funds are mostly in favor of the football team. Of all things I wish I wasn't apart of this program. All of the places were filled up in the Garden club, so the Wanda's were my last choice. I was apart of the dance portion since there was an abundant amount of girls who wanted to participate in cheer, and also since my needs and wants didn't matter.

It's not like I did too much. The cheerleaders did have to begrudgingly participate in dance as well, so I was one of the few that less practice. While it was mostly all about the cheerleaders, and I didn't mind that fact, the crowd really enjoyed our halftime performances. Therefore, during halftime was the only time I actually did anything. I mostly got to sit back on the benches and watch the cheerleaders do their stunts. One disadvantage though, was the costume. The cheerleaders had majority ruling so, about nine times out of ten, I was forced to wear what they said.

And on Monday, Elena, the oh so lovely captain Elena, decided to put the bug in everyone's ear about making everyone wear the same thing. Everything was fine. We had our hair half-up half-down, makeup with the classic red lip so we don't get washed out on the field, and that's where everything I thought was fine, ended. What I wasn't fine with, was the tight v-neck light pink shirt and very short jean shorts to match. It was a pink-out game to help those with fighters and survivors of breast cancer. When I say short the shorts were short, I mean it. It literally felt like a denim thong. I kept on pulling them down so much, and I didn't care if it made my butt looked deformed. The v-neck on the other hand, was quite tight and didn't help me out at all. Though, of course they looked great on everyone else. And by great, I meant it fit them well, too well. But it is "Save the Ta-Ta's" so it did make sense.

I was sitting on the bench when my Ron and Barb called down at me from the stands. I looked up and they were gesturing over to the side to where I could meet them. Once I met with them, I had wished I hadn't.

"Hallie, sweetheart, what are you suppose to be doing right now?" Barbara said with wide eyes and a forced smile. I knew the only reason she was acting so strangely nice was because people were walking by us. Once they were gone, she grabbed my shoulder fiercely and pulled me close to her. "Why the hell are you not doing anything? And why didn't you clean the house before you left?"

I shook out of her grasp, "One, there is nothing for me to do, and two, I was in a rush."

"Well, how about we rush you out of our house? The social worker came in today to check on the house, and it was wrecked! Are you trying to keep us from getting the money? Should we back out of our deal?" Ron spat.

"No. I've kept up the end of my deal, you keep up yours. And I know for a fact that the house wasn't wrecked because of me not cleaning it. It was already a wreck to begin with." I whispered fiercely. If I made a scene, it would only make matters worse.

"So what? When you get home, you're cleaning up everything. Got that?" Barb said with fury in her eyes.

"I have work tomorrow." I said incredulously.

"Not my problem. Get your-" Barbara was interrupted by the roar of the other team. The game is over, and we lost 6-63. I turned around and Barbara and Ron were gone, but not before Ron gave me an ugly look.

I huffed and laughed. Of course they came to ruin an already horrible night as usual. I went back to the field and grabbed my bag. I walked at such a great pace, I was seeing blurred images around me. Which is how I ran into him.

This particular him was a bit large. I could tell he was on the football team because of his uniform and how his sweat dripped on me when we collided.

"Hey watch it man—"

I look up and see Ethan, of all people, and he was not a very happy person.

"Sorry—"

Ethan says nothing and continues walking away.

"Ethan, I said I was sorry, come on now—"

"This is not a good time Hallie, I'm in a very bad mood." He continues walking away from me.

"Well so was I but that doesn't mean you should ignore me."

"Hallie stop, go home."

"Why are you acting like this, I get it you lost, but it's just a game." I speak calmly.

"It's not just a game Hallie! It is way more than that!" Ethan's anger grew more and more and all I wanted to do was calm him down. I know he was mad at the game, but it was starting to feel as if he was mad at me.

"Hey Ethan," I run in front of him, "Calm down okay? It's just a game—"

"HALLIE! Will you just listen to me? It's not just a—"

Either it was the people starting to stare, or the fact that I didn't want to hear Ethan yelling anymore, but I kissed him and I don't know fully why.

I mean with people staring, that's unwanted attention on both Ethan and me. I wouldn't want my weak moments outed to the world. Also unwanted attention could mean very bad things for me in the eyes of the system.

But I still felt there was another reason.

Ethan's lips were soft, and a little chapped with the weather starting to get a bit colder and the air getting drier. They were nice to kiss honestly. I liked the feeling of his lips on mine. They fit well and merged nicely.

Ethan had tensed up upon initial contact, but the longer I kissed him the calmer he got. Even though I didn't necessarily want to break the kiss, I do. we are in public after all. I quickly look around and notice not many people were watching us in this parking lot. Everyone was too depressed or mad to look around and walk leisurely.

I look back up at Ethan. His eyes were glazed over, both his lips and cheeks were quite pink.

He was silent as I held his head, "Oh sorry, didn't mean to keep your head like that." I say as I let go of his face.

As I let go, Ethan's hands grab mine.

"Yeah and sorry about the kiss too, again," I scoff at the thought of the last time I kissed Ethan. I should really respect his privacy and boundaries.

"You're sorry for what?" Ethan asks his eyes piercing into my own.

"For kissing you. . . again. You were mad and yelling and I don't like loud sounds that much and I didn't want you to feel embarrassed if you were yelling like that in front of a lot of people." I state simply, my gaze wandering back to examine his hands again.

"Incredible."

"Wha—"

I'm interrupted by resting his sweaty forehead on mine. I didn't mind, he calmed down now.

"I'm taking you home."

My stomach drops, I don't want Ethan to see where I live.

"B-but I can just take the bus, it's fine I don't want you to drive all the way—"

"After what you just did, I don't know if I can leave you alone."

"What do you mean?" I ask confused with his statement as he pulls me to his car by the hand he was holding.

Ethan realizes what he said. Seriously what is this kid doing not thinking before speaking and not knowing what he originally means by it? "From your reputation with me so far, I don't find it comfortable thinking that you might just kiss some random stranger if they were mad or creating a scene, they could take the wrong idea." Ethan says with a smile.

"Now I wouldn't do that, Ethan." I said smiling at the thought that Ethan was worried about me.

"I'm not so sure."

Ethan opens the car door for me. "Honestly Ethan, I like the bus better, I'll just get going now—"

"Hals, please get in the car—"

"No thank you. I'm not going home with you, I'll take the bus Ethan!" I laugh nervously. Fear grows inside me like a seed experiencing rain for the first time. I never get nervous, not anymore.

"Hals, I'm not letting you—"

"I swear Ethan I'm fine! I'll just take the bus, if I go with you I won't know how to get to my house—"

"Hallie. You are lying."

"N-no I'm not I'm just—"

"There are no buses after 11 right?"

"N-no there are I just will take the one thats leaving in 2 minutes!" My throat start to close, what am I so afraid of? My breathing quickens as I try to think of how to get myself out of this.

"I-I can just ride with Jaspar or something."

"Jaspar Carmichael? You and I both know he doesn't come to football games."

"W-we-well then I can just walk, please Ethan just let me go!" I try to laugh it off, making him believe that I think this is some joke as I try to untie the knots forming in my stomach. 

Ethan looks at me with those eyes, those damn eyes. Why am I acting so nervous, why can't I control my emotions around him? "Hals, please, I need to know that you are home safe."

He takes a few steps towards me, my heart doesn't stop beating. It is as if someone replaced my heart with a hummingbird's heart. I couldn't breathe steadily. I lost control of my body and I don't know how to get it back.

Ethan grabs my hands in his, "Please Hals? I won't forgive myself if something were to happen to you."

"O-okay." I felt defeated. The knots in my stomach tightening.

Ethan holds open the car door for me and I step inside the black car he drove. The interior was nice and it smelt clean with a mixture of sweat with Ethan's football gear being tossed in the back.

On the drive there I tried to say as little as possible until an idea dawned on me.

"Okay you're going to turn left here and then on the corner over there, there it is." I said pointing at the small 2 bedroom home.

"Okay, well I'll walk you to your door—"

"No! No, it's fine, I don't want my parents waking up and then asking questions, they can be so annoying about it." I nearly choke on the word 'parents'.

"Okay, well then I'll just wait until you get inside."

Shit. Why did Ethan have to be such a gentleman? Like why?

"Oh well. . ." I look through my bag, acting as if I'm looking for something. "Shoot, I forgot my key. I'm going to have to go around the back. Think you can make it home from here?"

Ethan pauses, trying to read me, "Okay, yeah I'm pretty sure I can make it back just fine."

"Okay good! See you Monday Ethan!" I say getting out of the car. I turn around and wave "Thanks for the ride!"

I walk through the side gate which was luckily unlocked, all I had to do was wait here until he left.

After about 2 minutes, I hear Ethan's car start as he drives away.

I quickly slip out of the backyard and head back towards my real place of residence which happened to be on the other corner of the street.

#####################################

Hello again my fellow Wattpaders!

Like the character I have for Ethan? I think the character fits this face well. This guy's name is Noel Kahn. He is very good looking in my opinion ;D

I should be studying for my Econ final, and tonight I am going to a dinner with my friends that I have made in college. We all got each other gifts for Christmas. They are great people :)

Isn't funny how I always seem to write when I should be doing something else?

I'll cram tonight I guess.

Don't follow my ways kids, study a week in advance and you will not have my problems.

I hope this is a good chapter? We are at 26 reads which is totally awesome! I literally was picturing just like 5 people reading this book. 4 of them being some people I know personally. So yeah!! I hope all of your finals are going well! Keep up the good work fam!

Much love,

Sue

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 36 20
Many characters to follow up. You have the scenes/emos. Then you have the popular/everyone knows who they are. Meet Natalie, the girl who is a social...
489 5 23
After hearing of her mother's car accident, Willow's life falls apart. She has to watch her mother's casket be lowered into the ground and then watch...
6.2K 161 28
((Similar to Twilight, just without vampires, werewolves, and team so and so.. lol)) Discovering your soulmate has never been so dangerous. Kenzie Mc...
332K 15K 25
Jasper Whalen wasn't looking for love. Sure, he had a few relationships here and there, but they had all been with girls, and for him that didn't cou...