The Dream Charmer

By The3dreamers

Plagued by nightmares of her father's imprisonment and Kellan's disappearance, Wren enlists the help of her f... More

The Dream Charmer--Book Pitch
Chapter one--It's Sinking in
Chapter One (part 2)--Not sure I want the answer
Chapter Two--Uncovering the Truth
Chapter Two (part 2)--Blackened Palms
Chapter Three (part 2)--Get a bucket.
Chapter Three (part 3)--All dried up.
Chapter Four--You Bet.
Chapter Four (part 2) --Hellos and Goodbyes
Chapter Five --That's disgusting
Chapter Five--(part 2) Rooms and moons
Chapter Five (part 3) --"Say Cheese!"
Chapter Six--More Company?
Chapter Six--All tied up
Chapter Seven--Bumps & Bruises
Chapter Seven (part 2)--The things you do for love
Chapter Seven (part 3)--A startling announcement
Chapter Eight--Tidal Wave
Chapter Eight--(part 2) It must be true.
Chapter Eight--(part 3) Uncovered
Chapter Nine--Let the Truth be Told
Chapter Nine (part 2)--Let's vote
Chapter Nine (Part 3)--The decision
Chapter Nine (Part 4)--Fame and Fortune
Chapter Ten--Crushing Hard
Chapter Ten (part 2)--Infuriated
Announcement
Chapter Ten (part 3)--The Crappy Truth
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Eleven (part 2)--Should I stay or Should I go
Chapter Twelve--Who's fault is that?
Chapter Twelve (part two)--He likes me?
Chapter Thirteen --Are we there yet.
Chapter Thirteen (part 2)--Forbidden Kisses
Chapter Fourteen--Heart and Soul
Chapter Fourteen (part 2)--Muddled thoughts
Chapter Fifteen--Making the Leap
Chapter Fifteen (part 2)--Something sinks
Chapter Sixteen--All wet
Chapter Sixteen--The Treasury
Chapter Sixteen (part 3)--What the hell was that?
Chapter 17--The Misfits
Chapter 17 part 2--the darkest hour
Chapter 18--The Confession

Chapter Three--On Display

1.1K 131 62
By The3dreamers

Hi all! Sorry for the one-day tardiness, please forgive me. Hopefully, another chapter to come out this weekend will keep me in your good books. No coal for Christmas, please.

My foot stumbled, but with Jaxon steading me, even those watching us wouldn't have noticed my missed step.

The group at the bottom of the stairs hadn't noticed us approach the second-floor staircase. Elena curtsied and displayed her embroidered dress with one arm extended in front of Rygar, then rose with a warm smile. The blue flowers embroidered over her white dress reminded me of the Dutch teacups my Gran collected. When we reached the top of the stairs, I hesitated and wobbled inside Jessica's shoes.

Hey, sweetness... Jaxon turned to me and bowed. How about a smile for your betrothed?

Smile? My thoughts were racing, and my heart pounded in my ears.

I forced a smile and returned the usual curtsey. Elena probably had a million reasons for being here, but I was confident none of them included me being introduced to her as Jaxon's promised.

I take it you've met Kellan's sister, Elena. He lifted my hand to his lips and kissed the back of it.

We made our way down the staircase in unison. My dress trailed behind me catching each stair as we went.

Why do you ask?

I don't know. Maybe it's the fact the color has drained from your cheeks, and you have my hand in a death grip. His sight remained steady on Elena and the three guards.

Sorry... I loosened my grasp. Of course, I've met her. Our families celebrated the Acklemarian festivals together when I was younger.

Nice try, you know I meant recently.

Yeah, I knew, but I wasn't going to tell him I met her in Kellan's room. I let out a sigh. She was at the Water Circle banquet I attended.

Jaxon tilted his head slightly to look at me. The one where Kellan kissed you in front of is entire Circle?

That's the one...

Right. Jax took a deep breath and pursed his lips for a brief moment, then lifted his sights to Elena with a broad smile. "Elena, it's always a pleasure to see you."

We stepped off the last stair, and Jaxon bowed and tugged my hand, reminding me that neglecting my diplomatic courtesies wasn't an option.

I nodded to the guards, then bent my knees and held out my skirt. "Elena."

"Wren..." Her mouth dropped open, and she dipped into the fastest curtsey I'd ever seen. "Since when have we ever exchanged formal courtesies? You're like a sis..." She glanced at Jaxon, then back to me, and cleared her throat. "What I mean is that we've known each other so long, we're like family."

Jaxon rubbed the back of my hand with his thumb. "I'm glad to hear how close you and Wren are. I hope your friendship will help bridge the strained relations between our circles."

"Then the ceremony is still on?"

Wren? Kellan said interrupting my panicked thoughts. What's wrong?

Shhh... Not now. I responded trying not to draw Jaxon's attention to Kellan's presence inside my head.

"Our contract has been in place for nearly three and a half years. But I'm sure our engagement isn't news to you." Jaxon squeezed my hand.

He's still as delusional as ever. Kellan smirked, kissed his fingers, then touched his flourish on his shoulder and dragged his fingers to his neck.

Kellan's watery ring washed over my skin and peeked past my dress' neckline to a spot on the right side of my neck just out of Jaxon's view—the same place Kellan held against his own skin.

"You're right. I'd heard you proposed the match," Elena answered with a tone of disappointment.

Kellan, I don't know what you're doing but—

Shhh... He continued to hold his fingers against his skin. Jaxon is busy managing politics—trust me.

"Does that mean you're family will attend the ceremony?" Jax asked.

Hell yeah, they're attending. 'Cause you're marrying me. Kellan swirled his finger over his skin, and his knotted ring on me tingled mimicking the path he drew.

The Water Circle guard across from me nudged Elena, then whispered something to her, and she glanced up at me and smiled.

Haha. Kellan pulled his finger from his neck. I knew it would work.

The inky ring responded by plunging back below the neckline of my dress, hidden out of view once more.

Jaxon raised a brow, looked at me and then to Elena.

"Actually, that's why I rode for the past three days to find you and Wren."

"You came to the Guild because you wanted an invitation to our union?" Jaxon said in a tone laced with doubt.

"Not exactly. It seems for once, you and I have similar interests."

"Oh?" Jax released my hand and leaned back on a bookshelf. "Please tell." He gestured with his hand indicating the floor was hers. "This I have to hear."

"Before you do," Rygar interrupted lowering his voice, "Elena would you mind?" He pointed to the water drenching the floor.

"Please..." Sage grasped the mop's wooden handle and stuffed the head into the bucket at her feet. "Or I'll be mopping up water till after the ceremony."

"Where did all this water come from?" She scanned the room, and her sight rested on the upstairs balcony. "It came from up there?"

"So it would seem." Astra narrowed her sight at me, raised a brow, then walked over to a window and opened it.

"Wren, care to help?" Elena raised her hands. "You just..."

I shook my head. That was not a good idea, especially with Jaxon standing next to me. I'd rather face Astra's wrath than lift a single drop of water from the floor.

Kellan chuckled softly, but remained a silent observer.

"I'd just make a bigger mess. I better not." I declined, folding my hands in front of me.

"You sure?" She turned her palms over, and the water lifted from the ground. "I bet you're a natural, and could even do it better than me."

"Wren's right, it's not a good idea," Astra said drawing our attention back to the task at hand. "My books, kindly await your assistance."

"Of course." Elena raised her hands a few inches higher, and the water lifted from the ground until it was at eye level. She scooped one palm and shoved it toward the open window and the liquid soared outside.

Astra closed the pane and locked it shut, then headed back to her books attempting to fan the pages dry. I could only imagine how much trouble I was going to be in.

"I assume since you brought three guards, whatever you have to say isn't going to be good. So why not be straight with it." Jax pushed off the shelves and took a step closer.

"Very well." She dusted her hands together. "My brother has been arrested for interfering with a promise contract."

Jaxon smirked then let out a roar of laughter.

"It's not funny." Elena stomped her foot. "Jaxon this is serious."

"You're right. It's not funny. Kellan's been interfering in my relationship with Wren for years." He interlaced his fingers with mine. "And now he faces the gallows for something we all know he's guilty of, and the only way to clear him is with my help. Does that about sum it up?"

Tears welled up in my eyes. "Jax, you can't let him die..."

He gave me a sharp look, and his eyes sparked a bright gold. "Let's get one thing straight, after everything the two of you've put me through I don't care what happens to Kellan. But I don't entirely get the luxury of not caring, do I? Because if he dies, you die."

"You could relinquish her contract." Elena crossed her arms, and all five foot two angry inches of her demanded our attention. "Hell, I'll even pay you the fees."

"That's not how terms of cancellation work, and you know it. Besides, I can't."

"Can't or won't?" Elena balled her tin hands into fists.

"Maybe Wren can elaborate for you." Jax gestured to my leg, walked over to the oracle table and perched on the edge.

Everyone stared at me, wondering what he was referring to. I hadn't told a soul other than Sage about the spiral flame. Now that Jessica knew, it probably didn't matter everyone else did too.

I crumpled the dress in my hands, lifting the fabric showing off the flames around my ankle.

"Move aside." Jessica pushed between two of the guards. "Let me through you lugs."

With her brisk walk and our history, I couldn't help backing up into the bookshelf behind me trying to avoid her and any assistance she was offering.

"Relax, I'm not going to hurt you." She crouched down and ran her hot hand over the fabric.

Slowly a smokey pattern formed beneath her fingers. When she ran her palm from my mid-thigh to the bottom of the dress, a long slit separated the fabric all the way to the floor.

The spiral flame circling my leg was on full display.

Thanks all! The plan is for another chapter update this weekend on Sunday. Stay tuned. :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.2K 928 39
Book 1 of the Enchanted Love Series A realm where magic exists and Fae, Shifters, and other supernaturals live together. The realm is divided into la...
1.3K 248 29
*** This is book two in a series. YOU MUST READ The Prophecy first*** Ariella's life had changed drastically in the last month. Each day seemed to br...
483K 19.2K 50
When Amber was just an infant an alien space ship crash landed in her small lake town of Mountain Lake, Georgia. The aliens were isolated, a large se...
295 20 24
When Phoebe is woken up by James, the boy she's been crushing on since she can remember, she's surprised to find him in a panic. His sister Kara is m...