The Only Promise

By _rareleo

Kadence Rae Emerson has always been the popular girl at school getting asked out by guys. She doesn't find he... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27

Chapter 28

21.3K 686 167
By _rareleo

NOTE:----------------> This is the last chapter. I hope you guys enjoyed this long, long, long story lol. I had a fun time writing it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Lake East,”

            My nerves begin to kick in as my classmate who is before me, since there are only two people with the last name that start with E’s in my class, is called up to the stage on the football field to get his diploma. I see camera flashing when he shakes our principal’s hand, and receives his diploma. I look behind me at Aiden, which is odd that she is the first person in the D’s last names, and is right after me and I’m last in the E’s. She smiles at me big, and gives me a nudge.

            “Kadence Emerson,”

            I let out a deep breath, and walk up the steps lifting gown a little from the ground. I smile showing off my white teeth as I approach the principal. He smiles back, and I grab my advanced diploma as I shake his other hand. I look at my mom near the front taking a picture. I smile big at the camera, and so does my principal. After she takes the picture I look at my principal once more and he says:

            “Good job. We’ll miss you here.”

            “Thank you so much.” I say, and walk off the stage to stand in front of my chair. I slide my body in front of other’s who are seated, and I sit down next to Lake.

            “Aiden Deters,”

            I smile big as I can see her shaking a little from nerves. I look over in the parent’s audience to see her grandparents, and her dad taking pictures of her. She smiles towards their way, and makes her way off of the stage to be seated next to be.

            She sits down next to me and looks at me with a smile on her face, but teary-eyed. “Are we going to throw our caps up together?” She asks me in a hushed tone.

            “Yes, but I want to watch where mine goes. I’m going to keep it.” I whisper back.

            She giggles quietly to me saying that, and I just smile to her giggling. I actually want to keep my cap. There’s nothing wrong with that…

            “Ladies and gentleman,” The principal pauses staring around in the crowd, and he leans towards the microphone again. “May I present to you; Class of 2012!”

            A roar takes over the students, and we call scream throwing our caps up in the air. Of course I watch where mine goes. Everyone claps their hands, and everyone in the audience stands up. People start to walk away from their seats, and I walk over getting my cap. I hug my mom and dad tightly when they approach me.

            “I’m proud of you sweetheart.” My dad whispers and pats my back. He releases me and stares in my eyes. I’ve never seen this muscular man teary-eyed before. I smile, and kiss his cheek, pulling him into a hug again.

            “It’s okay dad. Don’t cry, be a man.” I say jokingly.

            “Yeah right.” He says with a laugh.

            I pull out of his hug, and watch as my mom walks over to Aiden. I stare at her dad as he stares at my mom. I think he recognizes her, but she probably doesn’t care. She embraces Aiden into her arms, and whispers something to her. I smile as Aiden smiles and cries a little at the same time. She pulls out of my mom’s hug, and I notice she says ‘thank you’ to her. My mom walks back over to us.

            “What did you say to her? She looks really happy.” I say staring her way still.

            “I told her that her mom would be proud of her for achieving an advanced diploma, and sports/academic awards she has received. I know Nicole would have wanted me to watch over her, and from now on, that’s what I’ll do. I’ll watch over her, both of you.” My mom says looking at me.

            I look back at her, and smile big. “Thank you for doing that, mom.”

            “It’s no biggie.” She says.

            Someone puts their hand on my shoulder, and I turn around to see Michael. “Good job, sis.” He says and pulls me into a hug.

            “Thanks.” I say and hug him back. “Don’t you start crying too.”

            He pulls out of the hug, and laughs pointing his thumb to dad. “I’m not the cry baby.”

            Dad wraps his arm around his neck, and pulls him down giving him a nuggie. “Who’s the cry baby, huh?” Michael struggles to get out of his grip, but I just laugh at them being like father and son.

            My family threw a big cook-out at my uncle’s house, so we went over there to eat, and have some family fun. They surprised me with a big cake saying ‘Good job! Our Graduate Kadence Rae Emerson’. We swum in the pool they had in the back yard, or the little kids played in the sprinkler.

            I knew this was a family tradition, but I didn’t know the party would be this big. It’s like a family reunion, but both sides of the family are here just to celebrate me graduating. It was nice of all of them. They all asked me what I wanted to do, and I told them that I wanted to be a Pediatrician. None of them know I’m a lesbian, and I’d like to keep it that way unless I tell them myself, but that’s my personal life, and my personal life awaits in a month in a new house. I’m so excited.

One month later:

            “Baby!” I yell so Aiden can hear me as I come through the front door with boxes piled on each other. I can’t see, and I need her to help me with some of the boxes.

            “I’m coming. I’m coming.” She says and I can tell she’s jogging towards me. I stand there till she takes two boxes from me, and leans over the two I’m carrying to kiss me. I give her a kiss, and smile walking with her to put the boxes down in our somewhat furnished home.

            “This is a work-out, huh?” She asks when she wraps her arms around my stomach from behind me.

            “Oh yeah, we still have more boxes to bring in, but over the past two days we’ve gotten a lot done.”

            “Mhm, let’s bring some more boxes in.”

            She slaps my ass, and I open my mouth turning around as she runs out the door. I chase after her, and tackle her to the ground rolling around in the grass as she tries to get me off of her. We laugh like idiots, and quickly those laughs turns into screams as we land in the lake. I swim up to the surface, and fling my hair back. I look at her when she comes up to the surface, and we laugh again. We get out of the lake dripping wet.

            “Looks like you two need some help here.” My dad says when he walks towards us.

            “Hey dad! Do you want a hug?” I laugh, and open my arms wide to hug him. He runs away, but I catch up with him and wrap my arms around him making him get wet. I remove my arms, and laugh at his shirt that has a print of my body on it.

            He looks down at his shirt, and shakes his head. “Your brother, mom, and Aiden’s grandparents are here too.”

            I look at the driveway, and that’s when I notice Aiden is already over there talking to them all. “Aww, thanks. Are you guys here to help?”

            “Yeah.” He says.

            We walk over to meet up with everybody else, and I greet everyone else. My mom notices my dad got wet too, and she laughs when I tell her that I hugged him after falling into the lake. She finds towels in the box labeled ‘bathroom’, and hands me and Aiden them to dry off. She demands we sit outside to dry off a little while they carry boxes inside, but we feel like it’s their job or something so we insist on carrying boxes again, but she still won’t let us.

            It does take weight off of our shoulders, because we’ve been moving from early morning to late at night. We do sleep here so that’s a good thing, but it’s been wearing us out. After we do get done drying off we go inside to change clothes, and I go into the kitchen after coming downstairs to fix dinner for everyone.

            I fix everyone spaghetti since it’s the quickest thing to fix, because right now we don’t have a lot of groceries to fix a big meal. We sit at our dining table in the empty dining room, talking and eating.

            A lot of emotions rush through my body today, because I realize how I’m on my own with Aiden now, and I won’t be sleeping at my mom or dad’s house anymore. No more having to deal with court orders to give my mom every week, and one weekend of each month, and my dad only getting three weekends with Michael and I. Poor Michael has to do that though now. He’ll be a sophomore in high school, but he won’t have me at the house to take him to school, or bring him home. All though if I have time, I might take him to school on my way to college or pick him up on my way home from college.

            It’s hard to get over the fact that I’m actually graduated from high school, and in the real world, but the only thing that makes me happy about it is Aiden. My life is here, the country-side, living beside a lake, beautiful landscape, and living day by day knowing she’ll be here when I wake up or go to sleep.

            This isn’t an end, in fact it’s a beginning. Maybe it’s a beginning for Aiden’s mom, because Aiden’s living the life that she could’ve had with my mom. That does sound weird, because she’s not here, but just maybe. Maybe everything happened for a reason; for me and Aiden to be together.

            “Here you go, Kadence. Here’s the salad bowl.” Aiden says to me while she’s trying to hand me the salad bowl.

            I snap out of my thoughts, and grab the bowl from her to put some salad in my bowl. “Thank you.” I say.

            “Are you okay?” She asks giving me a look.

            I look up from my bowl as I pass my mom the salad bowl, and I put my hand on top of Aiden’s left hand, where she left the promise ring I gave her, giving it a little squeeze. “I’m better than okay. I’m happy.” She smiles, and we move our hands to eat our food.

            And it’s true; I’m better than okay. I’m happy.

            I’m happy that everything worked out okay with my mom when we were having problems, that Aiden is still with me to this day, and that I feel like I’ve never been happier before in my life. I wouldn’t want to miss this life I’m living right now for anything. I have everything I need.

            Aiden.

            My lovely Aiden…

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So... that is it....

Yep....

That's the end....

Last chapter...

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeppp...

Lol ok, but really this is the end. I hope you guys liked the story! It means so much to me to have fans read, vote, and comment. I know I have bad grammar sometimes, but for each of you guys to give me a chance means a lot. If I post another story, more than likely it'll be a sequel to Tame Me.

Y'all ready for that? But anyways, thank you so much for reading, voting, commenting, or fanning, or all! =]

Love.Peace.Vote.Comment.Fan

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

131K 5.7K 55
ငယ်ငယ်ကတည်းကတစ်ယောက်နှင့်တစ်ယောက်မတည့်တဲ့ကောင်လေးနှစ်ယောက်ကအလှလေးတစ်ယောက်ကိုအပြိုင်အဆိုင်လိုက်ကြရာက မိဘတွေရဲ့အတင်းအကြပ်စီစဉ်ပေးမှုကြောင့်တစ်ယောက်အပေါ...
99.4K 3.9K 14
Myra McCaffery, budding actress and model, has been chased by boys her whole life without the slightest idea why. Most girls would dream to live in h...
578K 51.6K 34
𝙏𝙪𝙣𝙚 𝙠𝙮𝙖 𝙠𝙖𝙧 𝙙𝙖𝙡𝙖 , 𝙈𝙖𝙧 𝙜𝙖𝙮𝙞 𝙢𝙖𝙞 𝙢𝙞𝙩 𝙜𝙖𝙮𝙞 𝙢𝙖𝙞 𝙃𝙤 𝙜𝙖𝙮𝙞 𝙢𝙖𝙞...... ♡ 𝙏𝙀𝙍𝙄 𝘿𝙀𝙀𝙒𝘼𝙉𝙄 ♡ Shashwat Rajva...
354K 7.4K 32
Spencer is the new girl in town, (big city Los Angeles) from a small quiet town in Ohio. She meets Ashley, whom she instantly connects with. Hard tim...