The Only Promise

By _rareleo

Kadence Rae Emerson has always been the popular girl at school getting asked out by guys. She doesn't find he... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 28

Chapter 27

14.8K 392 27
By _rareleo

NOTE:-------> Play the song when it is mentioned, or whenever you want. =]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                           Prom: Part 2 of 2

“Hey.”

            I look behind me from my chair to see Derek standing behind me looking handsome and well-shaven. I give him a smile, and put my elbow on the top of the chair putting my chin in the palm of my hand.

            “Hey, look at you. You look very handsome.” I say honestly.

            He looks down his tux and wipes his hand down it. “Yeah.” He takes a seat next to me where Aiden was sitting, but went to the dance floor to dance with our friends. “I wanted to let you know that I took your advice.”

            I stare at him for a while trying to figure out what advice he’s talking about. I position myself in my chair so move my elbow off the chair, and cross a leg over the other.

            “What advice?” I ask curiously.

            “When we sat down after taking homecoming pictures, and you told me to find someone who I could really care about, and who would care about me back.”

            “I’m glad to hear that, Derek. You deserve someone who will love and honor you back.”

            I watch as he fettles with his fingers, and stares at his hands. “Who’s the girl?” I ask. He raises his head up to stare in my eyes.

            “Brittany Mullins.”

            I immediately swing my head around looking for Brittany, and then I look back at Derek. “What?”

            I have never liked Brittany, because she always treated me horribly as we grew up. I don’t know what it was with her, but she just didn’t like me. So how she could love, care, and honor Derek makes no sense to me. She seems like she doesn’t have a heart at all.

            “I know you’ve had your troubles with her before, but she does make me feel loved and cared for.”

            He smiles as he talks about her, and I can’t help but to sit there and listen. I won’t discourage his decision.

            “Well, maybe, you should go and dance with her.” I say with a warm smile.

            He chuckles, and gets up from the seat. “See you later, Kadence.”

            “See ya.”

            He walks away joining the crowd of people that are dancing, which in this case I can’t spot out Aiden, but I didn’t feel very good to start dancing yet, so I stayed at the table all alone while everyone went dancing. I take a sip of the punch I got from the table a while ago, and I take a bite of a chocolate chip cookie.

            I feel a gentle pull on my arm, and I drop the cookie on my plate as I get up with whoever is pulling on my arm. I finally realize by the dress that it’s Aiden holding on my hand.

            “Baby, where are we going? I was eating a good cookie.” I say, actually serious about the cookie.

            “You’ll see.” She says back, and we leave the gym going outside where we first kissed.

            She pushes me up against the railing gently, and starts kissing me. I wrap my arms around her neck, and try to say something to her to slow her down. I grip onto her shoulders, and push her back slowly, and smile at her.

            “Why are you onto me so much?” I ask with a giggle.

            “I missed you, all though it was only for 10 minutes.” She whispers putting her forehead against mine.

            “10 minutes can be a long time.” I say.

            “Why didn’t you feel like dancing?” She asks, and rubs my waist slowly.

            I sigh, and play with the hair on the back of her hair slowly. “I was caught up in thinking about graduation that’s in a month. I kind of got the graduation blues. We’ve spent 13 years just being in school, and we’re going into the real world soon.”

            “That’s true, but after we graduate, we’re moving in together remember?”

            I smile big remembering how we’re going to have a house that’s in good shape, but still needs more detail for it to be a dream home, and living a good life. If we have kids, they’ll have a good area to run around, or swim in the lake.

            “And you wonder how someone got pictures of you two.”

            Aiden and I look over to the doors that Hannah came out one time interrupting our kiss, but instead this time it’s Brittany. Why would she care about my relationship with Aiden? And who is she to even do something like she did?

            I remove my arms from Aiden’s neck, and I stare at Brittany with the worst look I’ve ever given anyone. She stares at me back with her arms crossed.

            “You put up that pathetic sign, and put pictures of my privacy in my locker?!” I begin to raise my voice, which scares her for a moment.

            “Yep. Maybe Aiden knows why that happened. I don’t know. Do you know Aiden of why? Maybe because of your ex-girlfriend.”

            My head begins to hurt from being angry and confused at the same time. Ex-girlfriend?! What?!  I spin around and stare at her with an evil glare. She stares at me back with a confused look, and then looks behind me at Brittany.

            “I don’t have an ex-girlfriend.” She says.

            “Is it that girl that said she liked you, and was obsessed with you?! I want some damn answers!” I yell in her face, and it causes her to look back at me with a scared look on her face. I don’t want to scare my girlfriend, but what do you expect? She lied!

            “Look, I don’t know why you’re saying she’s my ex-girlfriend,” Aiden says to Brittany.

            “Because that’s what she told me.” She quickly interrupts. “She was so heart-broken when she found out that you were dating Kadence, so she asked me to do what I did, and I did to hurt Kadence.”

            I stand in between Brittany and Aiden as I listen to them talk back in forth. I cross my arms trying not to strangle Brittany, because she’s mean for doing what she did.

            “You know, if we weren’t at prom, or if you didn’t have made your face look pretty, I’d be punching the crap out of you right now.” I look at Brittany with a serious look.

            “Then go ahead and punch me, bitch.” She spats, and I quickly raise an arm to punch her, but Aiden grabs it holding it down. I move my hand from her grip, and cross my arms again moving away from Brittany before I really do hit her.

            “I never dated Jessica, I never asked her on a date, nor have I ever had any type of relationship with her, but more than friends. She literally stalked me, because I said no to her asking me out. Of course she’s going to manipulate you into doing something to hurt Kadence, because she knows that’ll hurt me.”

            “Why does she keep doing this, Aiden?” I ask still angry about the whole situation.

            “I don’t know. She’s obsessed, I’m telling you.” She says to me, and I can tell that she’s being honest with me.

            I look at Brittany as she stares back. “I’m sorry, Kadence.” She says to me.

            “You can tell your boyfriend how evil of a bitch you are to his best friend. To think you have him in your little trap making him think you care and love about him.”

            With that, I grab Aiden’s hand, and walk back inside of the school heading to the gym. I can tell I’m gripping on her hand too tight so I loosen up a bit.

            “Wait!” Brittany calls out as she enters the school.

            I stop and turn around to look at her.

            “I’m truly sorry, but please don’t let Derek know about what I did. I swear I love and care about him. He’s the only one I’ve ever felt so much about, please.” She begs and looks at me with sadness in her eyes.

            “Fine.” I say, and walk into the gym with Aiden’s hand still interlocked with mine.

            A couple of people notice us holding hands, but I don’t care anymore, and a slow song comes on so I head to the dance floor with her. I still have the thought of her lying to me about having a girlfriend, but why would she do that? All she would have had said the moment I asked who that girl was, is ‘she’s my ex-girlfriend’, but I’m sure that she’s not lying. I trust her with my heart, soul, and mind.

            People begin to fill up the dance floor to dance to the song So Close by Jon McLaughlin. I wrap my arms around Aiden’s neck staring into her eyes, and I remember the first time I danced with her feeling emotional, and overwhelmed by the touch of her hands.

            We dance to the song, and rarely take our eyes off of each other. Whispering innocent things in each other’s ears, or talking about our future together, this makes this night to seem even better as it goes by. I don’t know what I’d do without her in my life to be quite honest. All though we’ve had our fights, or little disagreements, in the end I still love her.

            For the rest of the time we danced, talked, sat at our table to eat or drink, and danced some more, but what was one of the best things of the night was getting to hear different stories from seniors, since this is our last prom we’ll go to, or for some others it’s their first and last. I went to prom last year dateless, but I had a fun time being with my friends. This year was even better though, because of Aiden. I glance at her staring up at the stage, and I smile at her as I interlock our fingers in her lap.

            “Well that was a very funny story by Jake.” One of the teachers says, “Now it’s time to listen to Kadence’s stories from being here at our high school.”

            I release Aiden’s fingers from mine, and get up from the chair holding onto my dress as I make my way to the stage. I smile at the teacher, and grab the microphone from her when she hands it to me. I clear my throat, and start to speak into the microphone:

            “When I first came here as a freshman, with my fellow classmates, I of course was nervous like any other freshman would be. But one of the moments I remember the most, unfortunately, was a time it was raining, and I was walking with my friends to enter the school, and I slipped on mud falling flat on my butt.”

            Everyone starts laughing at me, and my face blushes, but I don’t care. It’s to be funny, and it actually is a true story. I go on and on telling stories that make people laugh, or smile. Soon enough, I’m able to leave the stage to go and sit down so other’s can tell their stories.

            When I sit down I hold Aiden’s hand in mine, and listen to everyone tell their stories; most are happy allowing people to laugh, but sometimes people get serious with their stories, mainly for the seniors. Our female class President presents a speech that go towards the seniors, and a big screen is drawn down above the stage for a slideshow.

            It’s a slideshow of different proms taken over the years, but more particularly I await for the pictures of class of 1988, which was the year my mom and Aiden’s mom graduated. All though I laugh my butt off when I see a picture of the 1986 class of my dad giving a weird sign, and giving a goofy face.

            Class of 1988 flashes before our faces, and pictures appear after it. My friends and I burst out laughing when we see my mom with her hair, but as soon as it goes to the next picture we all pause, and my heart races when I see Nicole’s graduation picture. I look at Aiden squeezing onto her hand and tears fill up her eyes. I look back at the screen that reveals her DOB to her death date, but the next picture is a picture of my mom having her arm wrapped around Nicole’s shoulders, and they look so happy together, but I know that they’re broken up in this picture, because my grandparent’s made her break up with Nicole before prom ever started.

            I look at Aiden once more as she wipes away her tears, and I stare into her eyes until her eyes make contact with mine. I can’t tell what she’s thinking right now, but I know it must be hard to have little memory of her beautiful mother, and I wonder what she would say to her if she was alive right now. I can’t take away the pain she feels inside, but I know I can ease it for her with everything I have.

            Two hours pass by of dancing, slideshows, and eating, and now it’s time to go home to change for after prom. Aiden and I get to my house to go inside and change at 11:35. We wave at my mom who’s sitting in the living room watching some kind of movie, and head up to my room. As soon as I get in my room I shut the door, and Aiden and I strip out of her dress, but before she puts on her pants, I walk up behind her and wrap my arms around her stomach.

            I can feel my heart pounding against her back as I rest my head on her shoulder. I can hear her cry softly, and all the while she rubs her hands on my arms. “I can’t take away your pain, baby, but I can ease it for you. I love you, I love you with all my heart, and that never stops growing.” I whisper softly before I kiss her shoulder.

            “I love you too, please don’t leave me like my mother did. If you left me in any way, I’d die.”

            Hearing her say that makes my heart hurt. I would never leave her. She’s my all, and she deserves to have my all. I turn her around slowly and grasp her waist. I kiss her lips gently letting her know I’ll never leave her.

            I let go of her, and we change into our after prom shirts, and I change into shorts while she changes into pants. I leave the room while she uses my bathroom, and I head downstairs to my mom. I give her a faint smile, and immediately her smile goes to a frown.

            “What’s wrong?” She asks, and pats the couch next to her for me to sit down.

            “Aiden saw her mom’s graduation picture and a prom picture of you two together,” I say sighing deeply. I put my hand on my forehead and rub it slowly as a headache begins to take over. “She’s upset.”

            “Well, honey, I wouldn’t blame her for being upset after seeing her mom. Something like that corrupts a 5 year olds mind.” She says rubbing my shoulder for comfort.

            I look at her, and realize how tired she looks. “Mom, you should get some rest. You look worn out.”

            “You’re probably right.” She pushes herself off of the couch, and walks towards the hallway, but turns around looking at me. “Michael hasn’t asked you to buy condoms has he?”

            My eyebrows rise in shock as I stare at her dead serious face. I look around for a moment trying to think if she actually asked that question. I clear my throat.

            “No.” is all I manage to say, but it’s the truth.

            “I was wondering. It won’t surprise me if he asks, but don’t do it for him, please.” She begs with a sad face.

            “Okay, mom, get some rest.” I say.

            She walks off, and as she leaves Aiden enters the room looking back at my mom, then at me with a confused expression. I get ready to get off of the couch, but she holds out her hand so I grab a hold of it, and she pulls me off of the couch.

            “Kelsey looks pretty tired.” She says.

            “She is. She just told me not to let Michael get any condoms, which I didn’t think he would ask me to buy some anyways.”

            She stares at me with the same look I stared at my mom when she said that.

            “Yeaaahhh.” I say, and chuckle.

            We leave the house hand to hand, and get in my car to head back to the school for after prom. Halfway to the school I realize that Michael wasn’t in the limo that brought everyone home. At a red light I fish my phone out of my pocket, and hand it to Aiden when a green light appears.

            “Call Michael, please. I just realized I don’t know where he is.” I say.

            She looks through my contacts and finds Michaels number, so she calls him putting him on speaker phone.

            “Hello?” He answers his phone, and I breathe slower thanking God that he answered.

            “Michael! Where are you?” I ask impatient.

            “I’m at my date’s house, Jeannette. Why? What’s the problem?”

            Aiden and I glance at each other quickly, and I look back at the road.

            “Listen, Jeannette isn’t exactly the faithful type. Don’t do anything with her, please!”

            “Why are you talking trash about my date?”

            I sigh. “Michael, everyone knows she’s a whore. I hate calling someone that, but everyone knows. She’s taken virginity of just about every guy that comes her way. So help me if you do something…”

            I hear a click on the phone, and my phone lights up showing that the call ended. I open my mouth wide. That little bastard!

            “You know what, fuck him.” I say pissed off.

            “Kadence, he’ll make his own mistakes.” Aiden says trying to calm me down.

            “We had a freaking talk a while back where he said he doesn’t understand people that do that! He’s a lying little piece of crap.”

            My phone rings, and she answers it putting the phone on speaker again as we pull into the school parking-lot.

            “Hello?” I answer.

            “Sorry the call ended. Kadence, come and pick me up.” Michael says.

            I let out a breath of relief. I just got done calling him names and being mad; shows how much I trust him. “Okay, tell me the address, and I’ll come and pick you up.”

            He tells me the address, and I pull out of the parking-lot heading to Jeannette’s house to pick him up. When we pull up in front of the house on the sidewalk, he walks to the back up my car to the trunk. I stare at him weirdly, but open the trunk up for him, and he shuts it after pulling something out. Aiden gets out allowing him to get in the back of the car, and I stare at him with his duffle bag.

            “I had leftover clothes from dads house in your trunk. Don’t look, I’m changing.” He says.

            Aiden and I look straight ahead, but I need to look ahead anyways to drive so I pull away from Jeannette’s house heading back to the school.

            “I was about to kick your ass, Michael.” I say.

            I hear rustling of clothes while he changes his clothes. “Yeah, yeah. You should know me better.”

            When we got to the school, and headed into the small gym there were life-sized monopoly boards, materials for the game, etc. The art department must’ve worked their butts off to get all of this done. I commend them for doing such a wonderful job.

            Time flew by till 5:00 in the morning of playing a real life size board game of monopoly, of course the cards were small, but everything else seemed like you were in the game, because you actually walked on the board. There were drinks and food to eat still, and music blasting in the gym. All of the chaperones and students looked pretty tired, but by 5:00 everyone headed out to go home. I didn’t want Aiden to drive to her house at 5:00 in the morning so I let her stay the night at my house since her car was there.

            As I lay beside of her, and watching her sleep, it makes me smile to how cute she looks with her mouth a little bit open. I rub my finger tips across her jaw line softly so I don’t wake her up. It blows my mind that in two months or so, we’re going to be moving into a beautiful home, where we’ll sleep, eat, make new memories, and more together. Only in a month though will we be graduating.

            But I’m ready to graduate, and start a new life with the love of my life; my future wife, maybe mother of our children.

            I grab a ring from underneath my pillow, and I stare at it intensely. This is a promise ring I bought her a while back, but we were fighting one time, and I never gave it to her at the time. I grab her left hand, and slowly slide the ring on her ring finger so she’ll wake up to see it and be surprised. And like I knew it would, the ring fits perfectly on her finger.

            I see her moving, but I quickly turn over on my side so my back faces her. I close my eyes, and smile when she puts her left arm around me, and I feel her body against me.

            “I don’t know if you’re awake still Kadence, but I love you very much.” I hear her whisper softly.

            I smile again, keep my eyes closed, and I don’t say anything back, or else she’ll know I was awake just now, and might realize the ring on her finger, but when she’s tired like right now she wouldn’t be able to realize it till morning.

            I fall fast to sleep knowing she’s sleeping right next to me, and it makes me feel safe; so protected and loved.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's one or two more chapters left. I'm leaning towards one more chapter.

Thank you for reading! =]

Love.Peace.Vote.Comment.Fan

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

86.9K 1.7K 39
This story is between two young ladies who found love and friendship with each other and explore their sexuality as their paths cross in the universi...
122K 5.8K 44
ငယ်ငယ်ကတည်းက ရင့်ကျက်ပြီး အတန်းခေါင်းဆောင်အမြဲလုပ်ရတဲ့ ကောင်လေး ကျော်နေမင်း ခြူခြာလွန်းလို့ ကျော်နေမင်းက ပိုးဟပ်ဖြူလို့ နာမည်ပေးခံရတဲ့ ကောင်မလေး နေခြ...
585K 52K 34
𝙏𝙪𝙣𝙚 𝙠𝙮𝙖 𝙠𝙖𝙧 𝙙𝙖𝙡𝙖 , 𝙈𝙖𝙧 𝙜𝙖𝙮𝙞 𝙢𝙖𝙞 𝙢𝙞𝙩 𝙜𝙖𝙮𝙞 𝙢𝙖𝙞 𝙃𝙤 𝙜𝙖𝙮𝙞 𝙢𝙖𝙞...... ♡ 𝙏𝙀𝙍𝙄 𝘿𝙀𝙀𝙒𝘼𝙉𝙄 ♡ Shashwat Rajva...
204K 9.5K 45
An LGBT novel. THE ROAR OF THE CHEERING CROWD. Val Wash is one her school's best soccer players. She's charming, smooth talking and can get out of...