THE SCHOLARSHIP. » D. SWING

By sosostarr

"Who are you tryna be son? Another version of me or a better version of yourself?" In which the acceptance o... More

• ✧- cast
• ✧- summary/disclaimers
• ✧- prologue
• ✧- epigraph
• ✧- chapter two
• ✧- chapter three
• ✧- chapter four
• ✧- chapter five
• ✧- chapter six
• ✧- chapter seven
• ✧- chapter eight

• ✧- chapter one

1.1K 76 135
By sosostarr

MY FINGERS GRASPED the ball as I repeatedly dribbled it in conquest of reaching the other end of the court to shoot it but to my dismay it was quite easier said than done. My eyes constantly met with the eyes of which belonged to a male I was unfamiliar with personally but I had known he was someone that could be deemed as an enemy seeing that he hadn't belonged to the same team as myself . It suddenly felt as if it were just us two on the polished court as he attempted to guard me despite the sound of undying cheers and screams that came from the crowd that was bound to witness me break this man's ankles.

"Ayo Bari, I'm open! I'm open!" I heard the familiar voice of Kareem but I hadn't had the nerve to acknowledge him being that I was enveloped within the belly of the beast. Without a second thought I crossed the male who sported the blue and white jersey, quickly racing to the basket in hopes to make the shot that would continue our winning streak. My adrenaline reached an all time high as I managed to keep all the other players off my body.

"Ayo J! Pass the ball!" Boogie yelped causing me to acknowledge his antsy behavior as his arms were opened as he blocked another male sporting the blue and white. Hell no, I was not gonna pass the ball for God sakes this was my moment and I bet that those college scouts in the crowd would love to see me make this winning shot. My rate of perspiration increased as I readied myself to make the shot. In One...two...three...

Swish.

Each and everyone's eyes followed the brown sphere as it trailed through the atmosphere. It abruptly felt as if everything has froze including myself. The individuals within the bleachers arose to their feet as they continued to eye the ball as if it were a soaring eagle. And then finally, the results were in.

I missed.

Everything began to move quickly as the opposing team and their supporters began to break out in cheers as they realized that they had won. The feeling I should have felt if we were to win was a feeling that I was forced to watch rather than experience. A feeling of utter joy was evidently exhibited from the other team that I had no part of. I couldn't watch any longer causing me to trek rather quickly to the low lighted locker room just before my other teammates had. The anger within me surely developed leading me into another on of my very own tantrums.

"The fuck was that out there?" I heard Christopher yelp as soon as he pushed opened the grey colored doors to the locker room. "You coulda passed the fucking ball but your dumb ass love to show up and show the fuck out!" He continued as he stood over me as I sat with my head held down.

"I told you I was fucking open man..." I overheard Kareem mumble to himself, obviously hesitant to join in on the verbal hazing seeing that he was one of my closest friends. But I couldn't even be mad at him...he was right.

"He love being stingy with the fucking ball, nigga swear he the shit. Nigga must think he's Magic Johnson or some shit." Khalif rambled on, instantly pushing me on edge.

"Suck my dick. All you motherfuckers know I'm better than all y'all. Y'all might as well wake up from y'all dreams of making it into the NBA cause apparently y'all ain't shit without me." My voice bellowed although my head was still down causing all of them to hush rather quickly as if I had the upper hand- which I did...even if we lost.

"Who the fuck you talking to?" Khalif questioned, knowing damn well I was talking to him mainly seeing that he was trash on the court.

"He ain't talking to me... that's what I know." Chris inquired. Alright maybe I wasn't talking to him, he was far from the worse on the team as well as Kareem and my little brother Jacoby but Lord knows they were far from the best- the best being myself .

"Yeah whatever all y'all can suck my dick Ight."

"Fuck that, you took away our chances of making it to the finals!" Lil D finally spoke up, displaying his inner frustration which was a shocker seeing that he was never the one to argue.

"Ayo D, sit your ugly ass down like you always do when you on that bench, Ight?" I quickly hushed him as I arose to my feet, eyeing him to see if he would dare to make a move.

"Don't be talking to my mans like that J. You cost one for the team and now you mad at him, fuck outta here man." Darnell added into the tension, defending Darius as if he couldn't speak for himself.

After a few involuntarily moments I finally allowed the word to roll off my tongue "Look, look I'm sorry y'all." I apologized as I finally took their words into consideration, allowing my anger to drop seeing that it actually was my fault. "I know I fucked up..." I took a seat in the cold metal chair once again as I punched my fist into my opposing hand as the circumstances hit me all at once. I fucked up badly and the whole team knew it. And worst of all; I fucked up and my dad knew it. As if on cue the doors opened once more, breaking the once overbearing awkward silence.

"Ayo Bari... dad wanna talk to you." The voice of my breathless brother was suddenly heard followed by the many 'oh shit's' that allowed the boys to believe I was in trouble. They all knew who my father was and how serious he took the game, sometimes he even popped up at our many practice sessions even when our coach told him not to just so he could see how well me and Jacoby were doing. He even made it his appointive to to embarrass us if we weren't doing better than the others. I still believe he should cut us some slack, for God sakes Jacoby made the varsity team in the tenth grade and I was already being scouted. But to him there was always more room for improvement and I could see what he was getting at but sometimes I just think he's plainly trying to prevent us from being on the streets which is what he didn't have to do. Jacoby and I both knew there wasn't shit for us out there besides an outdoor court and that's that. If anyone needed to be restricted from their visiting hours to the streets it would have to be Khalif. His lateness to games and practices would mainly be due to him being high off his own product but nobody from the team had the nerve to snitch on him, it just wasn't ethical.

I exited the locker room, bracing myself for the speech my father was bound to give in a matter of seconds. I entered the gym once more, quickly taking notice of my father who was apparently conversing with someone else whom I hadn't known. He took notice of me from the other end and immediately put his conversation to a holt with the male who wore a suit as if he dressed up for the wrong type of court. I came to a holt allowing him to meet me halfway and I could already tell he was far from happy with me.

"The fuck was that out there?" He inquired as soon as we were face to face. "Who were you playing out there? Yourself? 'Cause it sure as hell looked like it."

"Pops, I was just tryna make the shot." I explained as I stretched my hands out in defense.

"Put your fucking hands down, you hear me." He stated through gritted teeth as he thumped his finger into my chest which was covered by my black and white jersey that evidently represented the Westbrook Wolves. "You can't be acting like a dumbass on that court. You know damn well you can't afford that." He finished, ending the conversation which I knew would be awakened once we got home. "Now look, I got somebody I want you to meet." He stated, suddenly plastering a false smile across his lips as he placed his hand upon my back guiding me to the guy he was previously talking to in the lonesome court.

"Hey it's nice to meet you Jabari... I heard a lot about you." The male started and I wish I could say the same but the fact of the matter was that I had no idea who this guy was. Instead I simply nodded and smiled in response and I could honest to God feel my father side eyeing me, acknowledging my lack of conversation. "Despite what went on today I just know you're a great player and your transcripts are amazing and I just want to say that we're interested."

"Who's interested?" I questioned unsure of the college he represented.

"The Princeton Tigers of course."

"Oh shit!" I absentmindedly shrieked causing my dad to hit me upside the head as if it were a reflex. "I apologize sir but I'm just at a loss for words."

"Yeah well, here's my card. And just remember that this opportunity isn't engraved in stone so think wisely this year." He stated as he passed me his card which my father instantly grabbed away, showing his excitement a little too much but I was okay with it. My mind was a little too flustered to even mind. Princeton wants me? The feeling was just so... surreal. "We'll get back to you guys with more information but I hope to be seeing you in the fall Jabari, have a nice night." He stated just before leaving the gymnasium.

"I think you've got an audience." My dad whispered leading me to turn around only to see the rest of the wolf pact staring back at us in utter confusion.

"What was that all about?" Jacoby asked as he came over to us.

"Princeton wanna check me out." I whispered not really wanting the other guys to hear seeing that our argument had gotten a little heated despite the fact I apologized.

"No sh- way!" He stuttered, stopping himself from saying exactly what we knew he was bound to say. He pulled me into a hug which instantly reminded me of the old days when he used to smile up at me with his toothy smile but he was fifteen now so that obviously was a thing of the past. "Ayo guys!" I quickly punched him in his stomach causing him to shut up quickly receiving the message my father hadn't.

"Come on Bari tell your pals that you got Princeton university looking at you! Ain't no shame in your game!" And with that being said I just knew mixed feelings were about to displayed amongst the crowd.

"Oh shit, that schools the hype! I'm proud of you kid." Darnell congratulated followed by the other guys besides Chris, Khalif and Lil D who I supposed I upset way too much for them to be happy for me.

"Wait, wait! Princeton? Ain't that shit in Jersey? What's Desirae gonna think?"

Oh shit.

• ✧•

DESIRAE

MY HANDS TREMBLED as I held onto my best friend Montell whom was the only person in the world I could tell anything and everything to and it didn't even matter that he was of the opposite sex. My tear stained cheeks were far from going dry due to the fact that my tears were still flowing. My sobs were deafening and it felt as if there were no way for me to contain my feelings but I had no obligation to stop them. It was just me and Montell on my cold bathroom floor and we could sit here for hours if need be.

"Des don't cry it's all gonna be okay. I guarantee it. I swear I won't leave your side no matter the circumstances... I swear." Montell rambled on as he hugged me tighter seeing that I was no where near mentally stable at the moment.

"Monty, I don't think I can. I'm scared. What's my mom gonna say!"

"If anything you could just stay with me."

"In that house with your loudmouth brother and your overbearing Christian parents...Monty I'll pass." I said just above a whisper as I let go of his embrace as I backed up on the white painted wall behind my person.

"Suit yourself." He whispered as he wiped my tears. I loved Monty so much but I had no intentions of placing my burdens onto him. "But what if Bari... you know."

"'You know' what?" I questioned slightly mimicking his deep tone of voice.

" What if he packs up and leaves the state. You know he has hoop dreams." He stated bringing the circumstances to my attention. I didn't want to alter Jabari's chances. He always told me he had big plans for himself and he always told me he would bring me along but he never mentioned a baby.

"Monty... you're right. I'll take care of it."

Trust me... I'll take care of it.

UNEDITED.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

936K 21.5K 49
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
288K 8.6K 95
Daphne Bridgerton might have been the 1813 debutant diamond, but she wasn't the only miss to stand out that season. Behind her was a close second, he...
143K 6.6K 36
"I can never see you as my wife. This marriage is merely a formality, a sham, a marriage on paper only." . . . . . . She was 10 years younger than hi...
1.3M 57.9K 104
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC