The Nanny

By naia22

"You are fired," he said, as my heart broke into tiny pieces. "No please sir, don't separate me from Imad. I... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
ON HOLD
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter FortyEight
Epilogue
"The Nanny : Part 2"
PART 2 : Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight

Chapter Fifteen

43.3K 3K 114
By naia22

"Assalam alaykum Layla," Hudaa said, eating her cereal by the dining table.

"Waalikum salam," I replied, while putting on my flats. "I am so late, I overslept."

"Well you did return late yesterday, what happened to thirty minutes — in and out," she said.

"It's a long story, one that I would never want to re-live ever again," I told her, quickly fixing my scarf.

"Okay," she replied.

"I'll call you later. Bye," I told her opening the door.

"Take care. Bye." I took the bus, as usual. Same old route, yet today something feels different. I feel different. Yesterday was just an explosion of emotions. Finding out Adil wants to marry me, me crying my heart out, and almost being rapped. It all happened in one day. Sighs* My parents were my happiness, I just miss them so much. I wonder how I'll live knowing they won't be there to witness my successes in life.

I got off the bus and started walking to the mansion, it wasn't a long walk. Enough time to sort out my thoughts. I got to the mansion, entered through the back door, that leads to the kitchen. Jane was mopping the floors. "Good morning," I greeted her.

"Morning sleeping beauty," She said and laughed.

"I know I know I am late," I said, while putting my bag on the counter. "Did Imad go to school?"

"Yes he did go. It wasn't easy convincing him, he looked disappointed that you hadn't come. I told him you'd pick him up after school," she explained.

"Thank you so much Jane. I will pick him after school and maybe take him to his favorite ice-cream parlor to make it up to him."

"Mr Ahmed has traveled. He went to London for business," Jane said.

"Did he say when he was going to be back?" I asked.

"No he just said he was traveling to London." Out of nowhere, I heard a shrill scream. I head out of the kitchen and see Madam Samia on the stairs. I ran to her aid. Could she had fallen down the stairs?

" 'ant bakhyr?" I asked her.
[Are you okay?]

"No..." she replied and stared at me. "I know you."

"Aismi Layla. 'aemal labnak 'ahmad," I told her. [ My name is Layla. I work for your son Ahmed.]

"Layla?" She asked.

"Yes that's my name," I told her. "Now let me help you get up." I helped her get up and slowly helped her up the stairs. Looks like the nurse hasn't come, which means she hasn't had her medication. If Mr Ahmed ever found out about this. He will be very mad, hell will be unleashed. I took her to her room, she laid down on her bed. She must be in pain.

There was some ointment on her dressing table, I took it and applied some on her feet. I massaged her feet, it seemed to calm her. I sat on the floor, besides the bedpost — in silence. "Where are my children?" She asked. I looked at her and smiled.

"They are with their families," I told her.

"Am I not their family? I have raised my children with love and care. But still they don't come and visit me. Have I wronged them?" she spoke, almost in tears.

"No you haven't, you are a good mother." I looked down at my hands, and thought of my parents. If I could see them for one last time, I could give anything in my position. Anything... Though I also wonder why Madam Samia's kids never come to see her. It's all she talks about, her kids.

"Abnataya [my daughter], you are my child yes?" She asked.

"I am not your child..." I told her in a low tone.

"But you married my son," she tried to make sense of her thoughts.

"No I am not married to your son," I said in a low tone.

"Okay," she replied and curled her self on the bed. I got up and left the room. Mr Ahmed warned me about talking to Madam Samia. If he finds out, I don't know what he'll do. I went back to the kitchen and saw Jane sitting, and cutting vegetables. I sat and helped her. Jane talked about how old she's getting, and has thought about retiring.

"If you ever do retire. I will miss you very much," I told her.

"Likewise. You are like the daughter I always wanted," she said and faintly smiled. Jane is a widow, her husband died a few years ago. Oh they were the cutest couple, he would always come pick her up during the weekends. They never had a child, but she wasn't bitter about it. She remained smiling and strong. I only wish I can do the same.

The door bell rang — I went to check on who it is. I opened the door, it's Adil? We look at each other, in complete silence as if somehow our eyes were doing the talking. He was staring, I looked away, my cheeks already flushed. I took steps away from him. I didn't know what to tell him. What could I say?

"Layla," he said my name.

"Yeah?" I looked at him.

"I am here to apologize... for lying to you. You didn't deserve that," he said in a sincere tone.

"That's all in the past, it's fine. I forgive you," I told him.

"I am leaving today, well my ship is. I want to make things right before I leave."

"I thought you weren't leaving anymore." I remember he told me something about staying in America for a month or so.

"There's no reason for me to stay any longer," he replied and lowered his gaze.

"Safe travels," I said to him.

"Thank you," he replied. I walked away, my heart feeling heavy. I understood his tone, I too speak pain. Just the way he stood, looking dim and disappointed. I don't know what I should do. My mother always wanted me to get married, but that's not what I want. At least not now. It's best I let my thoughts left unsaid. It will only cause more heartache, than there already is. Would I ever consider to marry Adil? I don't know. I have never really considered anyone so it's just confusing.

I went back to the kitchen and stood by the sink — thinking. Lost in my thoughts and my what ifs. What if I did consider marrying Adil? What would my life be like? But that would mean I wouldn't get to take care of Imad. What if Adil understood the bond Imad and I share, and we lived nearby. I would be part of a family. I would have my own family, like my mother always dreamed for me. I have to be brave and take risks... Is this that type of moment, my mother advised me for. To take a leap of faith.

She did the same with my father, she hoped and trusted in God's plan. The kitchen door swung open, averting my attention to the door and away from my thoughts. "Adil?" He stood and looked at me.

"I want to marry you Layla. I want to get to know you and I don't know why I have this urge to make you happy every time I see you," he spoke, walking towards me. "I know I lied and I am sorry. I really am, I was a coward for doing that. Can you ever reconsider my feelings towards you?"

"Maybe, I really can't tell now. I am not even sure if I want to get married yet. You are a nice guy Adil — sending Mr Ahmed to make sure I am okay..."

"What?" Adil interjected and his facial expression clearly showing confusion. "I didn't tell Ahmed to check up on you, he stormed out of the restaurant. Not giving me any chance to explain myself," he explained. That doesn't make sense. Why would Mr Ahmed do that. For all he cares about mostly is himself.

"That can't be true. Mr Ahmed doesn't care about anyone," I told him.

"Well I guess now he cares about you," he said, and sighed. "Which makes sense since you have been taking care of Imad since he was three. That would also explain why you haven't gotten married..."

"What are you trying to say?" I asked.

"You are attached to your job, eventually one of you is going to fall for the other. It's a cliche and predictable if you ask me, but the signs are there. It's bound to happen someday," he explained.

"It's never going to happen. Please stop making up things because I didn't agree on your proposal."

"I am not making anything up. I have said what I wanted to say, as you have obviously thought out your answer. I should leave," he said and turned to open the door. He got out, leaving my thoughts more conflicted than ever.

***
Thanks for reading.❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

152K 6.7K 41
"So you approached me without being aware of my identity?" He asks me, while raising an eyebrow. To say I was shocked would be an understatement. It...
226K 13.7K 65
Doctors Series Mid-short love stories •1• The Doctor's Care For His Wife •Isaa And Mayrah• "You're to be cur...
36.3K 4.3K 57
"Why did you leave me all alone in this cruel world, Hoor? You promised never to let go of my side. How am I supposed to live without you? I miss you...
3.5M 208K 59
I walked down the white hallways filled with the smell of bleach and chlorine. The lights above were too bright, too luminescent. I can't think. I ca...