Light in the Darkness

By rocky_the_hufflepuff

When Harry and Ron stop talking to Hermione during third year, she turns to her studies to drown out the lone... More

A Brief Note
Chapter 1: A Prankster in the Making
Chapter 2: Quidditch and Revelations
Chapter 3: After the Dog, Wolf, and Rat
Chapter 4: The Quidditch World Cup
Chapter 5: The Ferret Boy
Chapter 6: The Goblet of Fire
Chapter 7: Injustice and Justice
Chapter 8: The Yule Ball
Chapter 9: The Triwizard Cup
Chapter 10: 12 Grimmauld Place
Chapter 11: A Revelation
Chapter 12: Detention With Umbridge
Chapter 13: Meeting at Hog's Head
Chapter 14: The Final Quidditch Match
Chapter 15: To Save Mr. Weasley's Life
Chapter 16: A Trip to Hogsmeade
Chapter 17: Fred and George Weasley Must Not Cause Trouble
Chapter 18: A Present From Sirius
Chapter 19: To Rid Hogwarts of Dolores Umbridge
Chapter 20: Summer Before Sixth Year
Chapter 21: The Problem With Distance
Chapter 22: To Tutor a Malfoy
Chapter 23: Oblivate
Chapter 25: Headmaster Severus Snape
Chapter 26: A Reputation to Uphold
Chapter 27: Dumbledore's Army, Still Recruiting
Chapter 28: Forgiveness and Chaos
Chapter 29: The End of the War
Epilogue

Chapter 24: The Fall of the Ministry of Magic

5.6K 156 129
By rocky_the_hufflepuff

"Dumbledore would be happy there was a little more love in the world," McGonagall's words echoed around Remus. The woman was right, of course, Dumbledore would be more intrigued by Remus' love life than his own death. It still surprised him that Snape was the one who killed Dumbledore. Albus had trusted him thoroughly, even when the others wouldn't have.

Remus watched Tonks during Dumbledore's funeral. She deserved better than him. She deserved someone young, someone rich, someone who couldn't accidentally kill her. But then her Patronus kept dancing around in his mind. She was completely in love with him, so much so that her Patronus changed to his. He had only heard stories of this happening, he never really thought he would see it, much less about himself.

She glanced over at him and smiled softly before turning her eyes back to the sad scene. He took a deep breath. He couldn't deny his feelings anymore and she loved him. And, he really didn't expect to live through a second war. His resolve to stay away from her completely disappeared.

After the service, Remus made his way to where she was sitting. Without speaking, he held his hand out to her. Together they walked around the grounds of Hogwarts in silence. "Remus-" she started. He pulled her along a little bit faster.

When they reached the Whomping Willow, they stopped. Remus stunned the tree so that it wouldn't attack them while they talked. He turned to her. "Remus," she said, "what's going on?"

He looked at the tree while he spoke. "Dumbledore had that tree planted so I wouldn't accidentally attack someone on the full moon." He looked back at her. "You were right when you said that I do have feelings for you. Have for quite sometime. I can't promise you a great life, Nymphadora Tonks. You'll be an outcast because of me. I can't give you the life you deserve. I-"

"I don't care," she insisted. "I don't care about any of that."

"I know," he said. "I know. And-and I give up. You win. I'm all yours." He knelt down to the ground. Tears were forming in her eyes. "Marry me, Nymphadora Tonks." A wide smiled broke out on her face. She nodded quickly.

"Yes. Yes, of course, I will!" She pulled him up, level to her and kissed him.

Remus wished he could give Tonks everything she deserved. He knew he couldn't. Nut he could give her happiness for a little while before the war came.

"I love you," she whispered in his ear while they embraced.

And it was the easiest thing in the world to reply, "I love you, too."

-----

Hermione was crying when she appeared at Weasleys Wizarding Wheezes after closing. Fred strode quickly over to her and embraced her tightly. Her determination broke and tears fell from her eyes uncontrollably. Fred wasn't sure what to say to his girlfriend. He had offered to go with her so that she wouldn't have to go through this alone, but she told him not to.

Fred took hand her and led her up to his and George's flat. She sat down on the sofa with while he made a cup of tea. "They looked happy," Hermione said quietly. Fred had to strain to hear her. "Like they hadn't worried in a long time." Fred heard what she wasn't saying. She felt as though her parents' lives were better without her because they wouldn't have to worry about her.

Fred handed her the cup of tea, which she slipped at absentmindedly. His arm wrapped around her gently. "We'll go after them when this is all over," he promised. "I've always wanted to see Australia." She nodded in reply. Fred pressed a kiss to her cheek, wanting desperately to take the pain away from her.

"I love you," he reminded her.

"I love you," she answered mechanically. Fred sighed, unsure how to help.

"Tell me how to take this pain away," Fred said.

"You can't Fred," she said. "It's just going to hurt for a while." He stroked her hair softly, wishing there was a way to make it better. Fred didn't tell her this, but he greatly admired Hermione's strength. Fred couldn't imagine leaving having his parents forget him in order to protect them. She was the strongest woman he knew. And it made him love her all the more.

"'Mione," he said, "what are you going to do about Hogwarts? I don't- I mean- maybe it's not the best idea to go back, with Dumbledore gone." She hesitated a moment.

"I'm not going back to Hogwarts, Fred," she told him. Fred felt relieved. He couldn't imagine what Hogwarts would be like without Dumbledore. And without Dumbledore, what was to stop He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named from attacking the school? He thought about the Muggle-born he and George had encountered, Christine. Maybe Hermione should get away, too.

"Will you need somewhere to stay?" Fred questioned, knowing his mother would be more than willing to let Hermione stay with them she seemed to hesitate again.

"Fred, I need to tell you something," Hermione then proceeded to tell him about the mission Dumbledore had given him. She didn't know where they were going or when they would be coming back. But without the completion of this task, Voldemort would never be truly gone. Fred stared at her after she had finished, deciding carefully what to say. Finally, his face broke out into a smile.

"Hermione Granger, Savior of the Wizarding World." Hermione smiled a little.

"I think you're confusing me with Harry."

"Trust me, Granger, that's something I'll never do." Hermione rubbed her face, trying to rid the evidence of tears. She handed the cup of tea back to Fred.

"I better go," she stated. "I don't want your mom to be waiting too long for me." Fred nodded. As he stood to take the tea into the kitchen, the door to the flat banged open. George stood in the doorway holding a trunk, three other bags, and Hermione's monstrous cat, Crookshanks in a cage. "Oh, George! You didn't have to carry all of that!"

"She means that literally, Georgie," Fred interjected cheekily. "You are a wizard!" George glared at his brother before handing Hermione her things.

Fred took half of Hermione's things and Apparated to the Burrow. Hermione appeared a moment later. Mrs. Weasley raced out to meet them. She immediately embraced Hermione. "Hello, dear!" she said. "How are you? How are your parents?"

Fred watched a fake smile spread across Hermione's face. And he wished things could have been different for her.

------

Severus Snape kept an uncaring expression on his face as he entered the meeting at Malfoy Manor. "So?" the Dark lord prompted.

"My Lord, the Order of the Phoenix intends to move Harry Potter from his current place of safety on next Saturday, at nightfall." Around him, the Death Eaters fidgeted. All of them gazed at Snape. The Dark Lord's face contorted into a slight resemblance of a smile.

"Good," Voldemort said. "Very good. And this information comes-"

"-from the source we discussed," finished Snape.

"My Lord," interjected Yaxley. All eyes at the table turned to Yaxley. "My Lord, i have heard differently." He paused, waiting for the Dark Lord outrightly at Yaxley's foolishness. "Dawlish, the Auror, let slip that Potter will not be moved until the thirtieth, the night before the boy turns seventeen."

"My source told me that there are plans to lay a false trail; this must be it. No doubt a Confundus Charm has been placed upon Dawlish. It would not be the first time; he is known to be susceptible." Yaxley looked determined.

"I assure you, my Lord, Dawlish seemed quite certain," persisted Yaxley.

"If he has been Confunded, naturally he is certain," Snape said. "I assure you, Yaxley, the Auror Office will play no further part in the protection of Harry Potter. The Order believes that we have infiltrated the Ministry." The Dark Lord looked at the body of the Hogwarts teacher slowly revolve.

"My Lord," continued Yaxley annoyingly, "Dawlish believes an entire party of Aurors will be used to transfer the boy-"

"Where are they going to hide the boy next?" The Weasley's, Snape knew instantly. Potter was close with the family and the wedding of their son was fast approaching. There was no doubt in Snape's mind that Potter would be sent there.

"At the house of one of the Order members," Snape answered. "The place, according to the source, has been given every protection that the Order and Ministry together could provide. I think that there is little chance of taking him once he is there, my Lord, unless, of course, the Ministry has fallen before next Saturday, which might give us the opportunity to discover and undo enough of the enchantments to break through the rest."

"Well, Yaxley," the Dark Lord, said. "Will the Ministry have fallen by next Saturday?" Snape loved watching Yaxley squirm a little before answering Voldemort.

"My Lord, I have good news. I have -with difficulty, and after great effort- succeeded in placing an Imperius Curse upon Pius Thicknesse." Snape was one of the few that didn't look impressed by Yaxley's feat.

"It is a start," Voldemort murmured. "But Thicknesse is only one man. Scrimgeour must be surrounded by our people before I act. One failed attempt on the Minister's life will set me back a long way."

Snape listened to Yaxley's report disinterestedly. Oh how much Snape wished that Yaxley would fail in his attempt to take the Ministry. Nothing would be more satisfying to than to watch that smug smile disappear from Yaxley's face.

"We are at an advantage, my Lord," Yaxley said, grasping for approval from Voldemort. "We now have several people planted within the Department of Magical Transport. If Potter Apparates or uses the Floo network, we shall know immediately."

"He will not do either," Snape stated, feeling triumphant at shooting down Yaxley again. "The Order is eschewing any form of transport that is controlled or regulated by the Ministry, they mistrust everything to do with the place."

"All the better," commented the Dark Lord. "He will have to move in the open. Easier to take." He looked up again at the revolving figure, his red eyes piercing. "I shall attend to the boy in person. There have been too many mistakes where Harry Potter is concerned. Some of them have been my own. That Potter lives is due more to my errors than to his triumphs." Snape quite agreed. He was always baffled that Potter managed to accomplish anything on his own.

Then Voldemort turned on the Malfoys. Severus Snape had known Lucius and Narcissa since their time at Hogwarts together Lucius was his oldest friend. When Narcissa and Lucius asked him to be Draco's godfather, he didn't know what to say. Or do, for that matter. He wasn't sure what was expected of him. But he knew without a shadow of a doubt that he would give his life for Draco, if needed to do so. Draco was just a boy, who was forced to be on the wrong side of the war.

Draco looked terrified, paler now than his entire sixth year at Hogwarts. Snape watched the sad sight, making sure to keep his face emotionless. The Dark Lord could not suspect him in the least. Still, Snape wished there was something he could have some for Draco. He made at note to look out for him when they returned to Hogwarts. As headmaster, he could instruct the other professors to ease up on Draco. The year before had been awful for him. Perhaps, Snape could try to make this year better for his godson.

-----

Ron considered telling Hermione the truth when she arrived at the Burrow. He had considered telling the truth to his best friends for months. He just wasn't sure how to go about it. Hermione would be outraged, Harry would feel betrayed.

It had started at the end of March. Like he had decided to, he carefully watched Pansy Parkinson, still suspecting her of poisoning him. It took her all of two days to realize he was there. She pulled him into an empty classroom and demanded he tell her why he was watching her. Unable to find a way out of the situation, he explained, rather angrily, that he thought she had poisoned him.

She cackled in laughter. "You really are stupid, aren't you, Weasley?" Annoyance, anger, and slightly embarrassment surged through him.

"I wouldn't put it passed you," he spat. She thought for a moment.

"You're right. That is something I would do, but I didn't. I'm not an idiot, Weasley." Ron glared at her. He wasn't sure if he believed her. Annoyed, he stomped out of the classroom. He could hear her laughter down the corridor.

After that, Ron seemed to find the woman everywhere. And after having won the argument, she made it her personal mission to taunt him whenever she saw him. It was torture. His embarrassment mixed with his anger. He confronted her haughtily in an empty corridor a week later. But before he could say anything, she planted a kiss on his lips. "I've decided I'm good for you, Weasley," she told him. "You're welcome." She winked at him and left him standing there in stunned silence.

He wasn't sure what to do after that. She was the enemy. She was a vile girl that called Hermione a "Mudblood." He certainly didn't like her back and actively avoided her. But she only let that continue for so long. She always found a way to get him alone. It wasn't long before he had to give in. And thus began the rather tedious secret relationship between them.

Before they left Hogwarts, Ron explained that there was a chance he might not be returning to Hogwarts. Pansy pressed him for details, but Ron refused to give her any. He liked her, but he couldn't trust her with Harry's secret.

They hadn't spoken since the end of sixth year. He supposed he should forget about their small, insignificant relationship. But he didn't want to. Nothing good could come from it, but he quite enjoyed flirting with the enemy.

-----

Hermione waited patiently beside Kingsley. She wanted to be there when Fred finally arrived with Mr. Weasley. She was terrified something had happened to him. Her mind had already considered that someone had betrayed them. And if she had to guess it would be Mundungus Fletcher. He was sleazy and a coward. He really didn't want to go with them to move Harry. Yes, she guessed it was Mundungus.

"Do you think George will be okay?" Hermione asked Kingsley as they waited for the others to arrive. He shrugged.

"Looks like it was just his ear," Kingsley answered. Lupin looked pained. Hermione knew it wasn't Lupin's fault that George had been hit. His guilt for George was mixing with his worry for Tonks. Hermione glanced down at the Portkey that should have brought Ron and Tonks to the Burrow. Where were they? What had happened to them?

Her eyes caught the Portkey that should have been Fred and Mr. Weasley's. Fred should have been waiting for her when she returned. Her worry was mounting. She tried to remind herself that Fred was going to be okay, that they were just delayed.

Suddenly, and with a loud crack, Mr. Weasley and Fred appeared in the yard. "Hermione!" Fred exclaimed. Hermione ran over to Fred, throwing her arms around him. All her worries disappearing immediately. She didn't care that Kingsley and Lupin were trying to validate him and Mr. Weasley. "Where's George?"

At the sight of Hermione's stricken face, all the worries returned to Fred. "He was hit with a curse, Fred," she said sadly. "He's lost a lot of blood."

Immediately, Fred and Mr. Weasley raced to the house. "Arthur-" Kingsley tried to say, positioning himself between Arthur and the house.

"I'll prove who I am, Kingsley, after I've seen my son, now back off if you know what's good for you!" Mr. Weasley pushed Kingsley out of the way.

"That's Arthur," Lupin said quietly.

Fred barely registered his mother's hug. He knelt beside his brother laying on the sofa. There was so much blood. Hermione knelt beside him and took his hand, quietly telling Fred that she was there if he needed her.

George roused and looked at his brother. "How do you feel, George?" Mrs. Weasley asked. George raised his hand to the side of his head.

"Saintlike," he murmured. A terrified look flew to Fred's face.

"What's wrong with him? Is his mind affected?" A smirk appeared on George's face.

"Saintlike," George repeated. "You see. I'm holey. Holey, Fred! Geddit!" Fred chuckled.

"Pathetic," he stated fondly. "Pathetic! With the whole wide world of ear-related humor before you, you go for holey!" George's eyes flicked around the room.

"You'll be able to tell us apart Mum!" George told her. She turned away for a moment to bury her sobs in Mr. Weasley's shoulder. "Freddie, you'll have to ask Snape to curse off your ear, too, so we can keep playing 'Which Weasley' with Angelina and Hermione."

Hermione frowned. "What?" She glanced at Fred. "What is he talking about?"

"Oh, sometimes we trade places on you and Angelina to see if you two will notice," Fred explained like it was a perfectly normal thing to do.

"You always figure it out before Angelina," George told Hermione.

"Before Hermione could reply the lecture brewing in her mind, there came a commotion from outside. Hermione jumped up with Harry to see who had just arrived and to leave the Weasleys to their family moment.

-----

On the morning of Harry's seventeenth birthday, Remus woke up thinking about Lily and James. He remembered arriving at St. Mungo's with Sirius seventeen years ago, excited to see Harry. He still couldn't believe that the man who sent a stampede of Hippogriffs into the school was going to be a father.

Remus sat up sadly. He missed his friends desperately. He half expected James and Sirius to appear on his doorstep saying it was all an elaborate hoax. He wouldn't even be mad about it, he knew. He would just be thankful to have them back.

He glanced over at the sleeping woman beside him. He had been so worried when she and Ron were late to returning to the Burrow. He was so relieve when she finally appeared. He wasn't sure she would ever completely understand how much she meant to him.

He climbed out of bed and plodded down to the kitchen. They lived in a small house not far from Tonks' parents' home. She had bought the house on her first day as an Auror, saying it was a present to herself when she started doing what she loved. For the last few months, he had been working with Fred and George at their store. He worked mostly in the back, helping the twins with their ideas. He didn't want to the twins to lose customers an account of him, though, so he made his work there secret. The boys seemed to understand.

The smell of breakfast roused Dora out of her bed. She appeared only a few seconds after he had finished. Excitement flooded her face. Remus knew there wasn't anyone more beautiful than his wife, but he wished she would change her hair back to pink. He really had liked it that way.

"Morning," he greeted, taking a seat at the table. She smiled happily.

"Morning," she answered. She sat down beside him and started filling her plate with food. She took only a few bites before she stood up and raced to the restroom. Remus could hear the unpleasant sound of her vomiting. Putting down his fork, he cautiously walked to the bathroom.

"Dora?" he said, confused. "Most people try my cooking before throwing it up." She rinsed her mouth and cleaned her mess. "Dora?" Remus repeated, wanting an explanation.

"I need to tell you something, Remus," she stated. He waited for her to continue. "I'm pregnant." She was too quiet in her answer that he needed her to repeat what she had said. "I'm pregnant."

"Pregnant," Remus repeated, like he didn't understand the meaning. He was stunned, completely surprised. She smiled slowing her utter joy at the prospect of being a mother to Remus' child.

"I'm going to be a father?" he said. Tonks nodded fondly. He granted his wife the smile he knew she wanted. Once he had done that, a joy he didn't understand coursed through him. He hugged her to himself and kissed her soundly. "I don't deserve you, Nymphadora Tonks," he said.

"Well, you're right about that," she chuckled. "And it's Nymphadora Lupin." He gently caressed her face.

It wasn't until they reached Harry's birthday party that the full weight of the situation fell on him. He was going to be a father. What had he done? He had completely destroyed his child's life. What if his son or daughter turned out like him? What if he or she was disgraced to have a werewolf for a father?

He thought of Bill's wedding tomorrow. What if his child had a wedding that happened to be on a full moon night? How many events would he miss because of a full moon? He shouldn't have done this to Dora and their child. They would be outcasts because of him.

And on top of this, he would be a terrible father, nothing like Arthur. Arthur knew what he was doing. Remus had never been more terrified in all his life.

Remus glanced at Harry, Ron, and Hermione. He had heard about the task Dumbledore had given them, though no one knew what it was. They were just kids. They would need someone to help them. An adult. He knew he wasn't Sirius, but maybe he could watch over James' son for him. Dora would be okay without him. Yes, he would go with Harry for a little while. It was the least he could do for his old friend.

-----

Hermione ran her hand through Fred's hair as they danced. Bill and Fleur's wedding was nice and she was happy to be there for it. She didn't know that Fleur had invited Viktor Krum, though. If she had, she could have prepared herself for the state of jealous Fred entered at the sight of the Quidditch player.

"Will you stop this?" she finally said. "I'm here with you, not Viktor." Fred sighed.

"You're right." Fred's eyes were still fixed on Viktor across the room, who was staring at Hermione.

"Fred," said Hermione slightly annoyed. "I love you, remember." Fred's eyes returned to her, a smug smirk appearing on his face.

"I always thought women liked me better. Did I ever tell you I was going to ask you to that Yule Ball?" Hermione raised an eyebrow and shook her head.

"I distinctly remember you asking Angelina."

"George, the coward, wanted to ask her, but was too afraid to," Fred explained."So, I asked her and then switched half-way through the night." Hermione scrutinized him, like she was trying to decide if he was telling to tell the truth or not. Hermione glanced behind them, where and Angelina were dancing. Well, Fred's plan certainly worked.

"I wish you had," Hermione admitted, thinking back to that night. "It would have been more fun with you."

"I wish I had, too," Fred replied. He glanced at Harry and Ron across the room. "I'm going to miss you," Fred continued quietly. "I don't want you to go, but I know you have, to." Hermione opened her mouth to answer, but Fred kept going, surprising her with his words. "When all of this is over. When we've miraculously survived this war, I'm going to marry you, Hermione Granger. We're going to get through this, I know it." Hermione's eyes filled with tears.

"Fred, you don't know if we are going to live through this."

"But we have to, Granger," he insisted. "We're not done with each other yet. We still have a whole life ahead of us." He kissed her softly. "Marry me, Hermione, after all of this?"

A few tears escaped her eyes as she nodded. "Of course," she promised. She caressed his face fondly. "I love you, Fred Weasley."

"I love you, too," he whispered.

Unfortunately, their happiness was short lived as Kingsley's Patronus interrupted the reception. "The Ministry has fallen. Scrimgeour is dead. They are coming."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 55.3K 35
It's the 2nd season of " My Heaven's Flower " The most thrilling love triangle story in which Mohammad Abdullah ( Jeon Junghoon's ) daughter Mishel...
18.7K 679 15
Pre-war Natsumi is the very last Tamashi in the ninja world. She has powers many want so she is now in hiding. When Madara orders Sasuke to get her...
2.3M 118K 65
↳ ❝ [ INSANITY ] ❞ ━ yandere alastor x fem! reader β”• 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐑𝐒𝐜𝐑, (y/n) dies and for some strange reason, reincarnates as a ...
688K 33.9K 24
↳ ❝ [ ILLUSION ] ❞ ━ yandere hazbin hotel x fem! reader ━ yandere helluva boss x fem! reader β”• 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐑𝐒𝐜𝐑, a powerful d...