Friends with the Babysitter (...

Per hamilfan123987

Connor's mother hires a companion--no not THAT kind of companion--like a friend, for him. Of course that frie... Més

Ch 1--The Job Ap
Ch 2--Interview Prep
Ch 3-- I Just Told A Lie
Ch 4--Becoming Shark Bait
Ch 5--Learning the Rules
Ch 6--Breaking the Rules
Ch 7--Lunchtime Blues
Ch 8--Caught in the Rain
Ch 9-- Talkin' Dirty to Babe
Ch 10--pOPCORN?!
Ch 11--YOU'RE AN ASSHOLE
Ch 12--Felling the Tree(boy)
Ch 13--Makeover
Ch 14--Apologies and Threats
tagged
Ch 16--The Morning After
Ch 17--To Tell or Not to Tell, That is the Question
Ch 18--The Test
Ch 19--It Can't Be Us
Ch 20--Secret Conversations and Covert Relationships
Ch 21--Ice Cream Makes it Better
Ch 22--Kidnapping Evan Hansen
Ch 23--You Should See the Other Guy
Ch 24--The Storm
Ch 25--Family Breakfast
Ch 26--Taking Turns
Ch 27--Evan's Plan
Ch 28-The Rescue
Ch 29-Hospital Visit
Ch 30-Therapy
Sequel
Questions
Cover

Ch 15--The Fight

890 40 93
Per hamilfan123987

After hanging out at Connor's house for a couple hours after school (detention for Connor), Evan made his way home. He was able to convince Connor not to fight Ferb afterwards...by literally dragging him out of the school the back way.

He unlocked the door to his house, expecting it to be dark, like usual, but the living room light was on. He looked up in confusion.

His mom stood up from the couch.

"Hi, Evan. Where have you been? I've been so worried!" She ran over and hugged him tightly. He flinched when she crushed his ribs and she pulled away. "Sorry, I didn't mean to overwhelm you, sweetie." She backing up, thinking it was his anxiety about being touched that was bothering him. He'd let her think that since the real reason required too much explanation.

"M-mom, why are y-you home? N-not that I don't like that, b-but..." he covered when he saw her hurt look.

"I got the night off so I could spend time with you. I haven't actually seen you in four days," Evan had hidden in his room the last couple nights because of his bruise. "And I haven't been home for a night in almost a month." Around the same time Evan started working for the Murphy's. "I just thought it would be nice."

"N-no, yeah, it-it is, mom." he smiled at her.

"Good. I made food." She ushered him into the kitchen where a pizza sat on the table. "And I burnt it, so I ordered pizza." Evan laughed. His mom was a terrible cook. The only thing she made well was breakfast food, for some reason.

Evan sat down with his mom to eat together. She asked him the regular questions about school, about his homework, and if he needed any more refills for his anxiety pills.

"Hey, how did that project go?" She asked after they'd finished eating and had moved to the couch to continue talking. "You know, that one I helped you with? It was a couple weeks ago."

Evan started getting nervous. He'd been struggling all night about if he should tell her or not about his job. Now would be as good a time as ever...

"M-mom?" She looked up at his change in tone.

"What is it sweetie?"

"Uhm...w-well, uhm, you know I l-love you, right?"

"Of course I do, Evan!" She grabbed his hand and squeezed it. "And I love you."

Evan nodded, taking a deep breath.

"Well, I love you, and I want to help you out because you're always working and going to class and this is the first night you've had off in a month and you're spending it with me instead of relaxing which is nice, but I want you to be able to and--"

"Evan, honey, relax. You need to take a breath and slow down." She held his shoulders and he took a deep breath. "Good. Now I know I work a lot, and I'm sorry I'm not around much, but I do it so I can provide for us,"

"I know." Evan cut in, interrupting. Heidi looked at him in shock. He never would have done that before. "And I want to help."

She looked at him in confusion.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, what would you say about me getting a job?"

Her jaw dropped and her eyebrows rose.

"Evan, you don't need to do that. We're fine--"

"Mom, you can't keep going like this. You're going to work yourself to death, and I can help, I--"

"Evan, just think about your anxiety. People in the real world aren't nice. They wouldn't be understanding if you had a panic attack."

"Well what if I babysat?" he said, not liking where this conversation was going. Did she think he wasn't capable of handling himself?

"Babysitting? Evan, I love you, honey, but you can't even order take out for yourself when I'm at work."

"I'm g-getting better." Evan defended. He'd called for Connor that one time, and everything was fine.

"I know you are, sweetie." She gave him a pitying look and he felt himself growing angry. "I know, but I just don't think it's a good idea. I don't think you're ready."

"Mom, I'm seventeen. Seventeen-year-olds have jobs."

"Yes, but you're not a normal seventeen-year-old, you--"

Evan's face fell and Heidi stopped herself.

"Oh, Evan, that's not what I meant, I'm so sorry." Evan stood up, shaking his hand from her grasp. "Evan, please, I didn't mean...that's not..."

"It's f-fine." Evan said, trying not to cry. He kept his back to her. "I'm g-going to bed. I'm p-pretty tired."

"Evan, please, can't we talk?"

"We j-just did." He said, voice thick. He walked into his room and shut the door, turning the lock on his door. He plopped down on his bed and let the tears fall.

His own mother didn't think he was capable enough of doing something right. She thought he was a little baby who still needed taking care of, that there was something wrong with him.

Evan sniffled and sat up, trying to turn his sadness into anger. That would be easier to manage. He sent a quick text to Connor, then grabbed his backpack, which his mom had put in his room earlier. He dumped all the school stuff out of it and packed it for an overnight trip.

He picked up an envelope from the mess of papers and books, which he was going to leave a mess on his bed, and opened it. It was his paycheck for the month. Mrs Murphy had given it to him before he left their house earlier. Inside was more money than he had ever seen in one place in his life.

He closed the envelope and grabbed his bag, flinging the door open and marching down the hall. His mom was sitting on the couch with her head in her hands.

"Evan!" she said when he appeared in the doorway. He took the envelope and threw it down on the coffee table. She picked it up, curious.

"Evan, what is this?" She gasped, looking at all the money.

"It's my first paycheck, f-from my job." He said.

She looked at him.

"Wh-what?"

"I already got a job. I've had one this whole time."

"I'm confused..."

"I hid it from you because I thought you'd think I wasn't ready or capable." He said, a tear falling down his face. He brushed it aside. "I lied to you because I wanted to surprise you, because I thought you'd be happy for me. Instead, you said what I feared you might-- you didn't believe in me. Turns out I can do it." He sobbed, but took a steadying breath. "You can take it. I hope it helps."

"Wh-where are you going?" She asked as he walked out the front door. He closed it behind him without answering. He was too angry. She should have believed in him. He was her son, aren't mothers meant to believe their kids can do anything?

He heard the door open behind him so he started running, ignoring her pleas for him to come back. He wouldn't go back there tonight.

Once he was far enough away that he was certain she wouldn't factcheck up to him, Evan pulled his phone from his pocket. Connor had answered.

"Of course you can come over, is everything all right?" and then another text, "Evan, answer me, what's wrong?"

Evan put his phone away, he was close enough to the Murphy's house that he could just tell him in person when he got there.

As he walked up the driveway to their house, Connor's car was just pulling out of the garage.

Connor opened the door and ran over to Evan, engulfing him in a hug, leaving the car still idling in its spot.

"Ev, I was so worried about you, what happened?" He asked.

"C-Con...crushing m-me." he said, trying to breathe. For once it wasn't his anxiety causing the lack of oxygen. Connor chuckled and let go.

"Sorry." Connor's smile dropped from his face and he looked at Evan sternly. "You've got a lot of explaining to do. You worried me sick. I was about to drive around the streets looking for you."

Evan smiled sheepishly.

"Sorry, Con."

Eventually Connor caved and smiled with him.

"I really like when you call me 'Con'." he blushed. Evan grinned. "Now let's go inside and you can tell me what's going on."

The boys snuck inside after Connor returned his car to the garage, and they went to Connor's room.

Evan told Connor everything that had happened since he left his house earlier in the night. Connor frowned.

"Your mom didn't know about this?" he asked.

"No. I didn't want to tell her. I was afraid she'd stop me before I could try." Evan flopped backwards onto Connor's bed. He sighed. "I just wanted to prove that I could do if before I told her. I figured that way she wouldn't be so opposed to the idea. But it backfired. She got mad before I could explain and told me I couldn't do it." Evan was silent for a while. Connor had no idea what to say to him. He'd never had a friend to give advice to. He lay down next to Evan and they both stared up at the ceiling for a while.

"I'm sorry, Ev."

Evan nodded, but Connor couldn't see. He moved his arm so it was conveniently next to Connor's. Connor felt something near his hand and after glancing down to see it was Evan's arm, he decided to risk it. He held Evan's hand, and Evan squeezed it. Connor let out the breath he didn't realize he was holding.

The boys just lay there for a while, not talking, just being near each other. Evan was surprisingly calm. Just being near Connor had that effect on him.

Evan got up after a couple minutes, rolling over and using his arm to prop his head up. He looked at Connor.

"Thanks for letting me stay here." He said. "I was so mad at my mom, I didn't want to be there anymore. I had to get out."

Connor nodded. He understood the feeling.

"Do you...do you want to stay over tonight?" Connor asked hesitantly. He didn't want to ruin whatever good thing they had going before it even started, but Evan, while he tried not to show it, was starting to show signs of weariness. And Connor wanted him to stay so badly.

"That would be great..." He said shyly. Connor scooted towards him, looking at his face. Evan bit his lip and Connor thought that was the cutest thing he'd ever seen.

They leaned closer when the bedroom door was thrown open and Cynthia barged in.

"Connor, do you have any laundry--" She stopped when she saw the room's other occupant. "Oh, hi, Evan!" She said. "I thought you left earlier?"

Evan chuckled nervously, moving away from Connor.

"Oh, y-yeah. I uhm...my m-mom was working tonight and uhm....I d-didn't want to be h-home alone, so C-Connor said I could st-stay here. I hope it's all right."

"Of course!" Cynthia grinned happily. It seems like the boys were finally starting to be friends! She was so glad for Connor, and for Evan. He was just super sweet.

Evan's face was bright red and his stutter came back in full force. Connor was a little jealous of his stutter. Evan always stuttered, so when he was lying, you couldn't even tell. It just sounded like normal Evan. And he could be a pretty convincing liar...

"I'll go make up the guest room for you. You can stay whenever you want, sweetie. You're always welcome here." She smiled at the boys and left to set up the bed.

"Uhm..I'm going to go w-wash up for bed." Evan said, not meeting Connor's eyes.

"Yeah..." Connor said, sitting up awkwardly. As soon as Evan left, Connor groaned. They'd been SO. CLOSE. He was so close to kissing Evan Hansen.

He heard a buzz from the end of the bed and searched for the source. It was Evan's cell phone. It must have dropped out of his pocket.

He was going to leave it there when it vibrated a bunch of times in a row. Curious as to who would text him so many times, he checked the screen. It was his mom. "Evan, please call me. I'm worried." "Evan, I'm sorry, honey. I just want to know where you are." "Evan, are you okay? I'm worried about you." And that was just the beginning of the messages.

Connor sighed. He knew Evan was mad about the whole thing, but it wasn't like him not to at least tell his mom he was safe.

Connor's eyes flicked to the door, and after making sure Evan wasn't coming, he quickly sent a text.

"Hi evan's mom, this is Evan's friend. He's at my house for tonight, so don't be worried about him. He's upset so i thought i'd text you since he won't. I'm sorry."

The response was very quick.

"Thank you so much. Good night."

Connor quickly deleted the messages then put the phone back on the bed. He sat down innocently and waited for Evan to come back.

When he did, Connor went to the bathroom and brushed his teeth. He felt terrible about texting Evan's mom without him knowing, but she'd seemed so worried.

When he went back into the room, Evan had changed into a white t-shirt and grey sweatpants that he'd probably taken from Connors closet. He had to admit Evan looked really cute in his clothes.

Connor went to his dresser and picked out a black shirt and black pants. He pulled his shirt off and heard a slight gasp from the other side of the room. He smirked and turned around.

"What's wrong, Hansen? Like what you see?" Connor shimmied, laughing when Evan turned bright red and looked down, mumbling something.

Pretty soon it was almost time for bed. They had school in the morning. Connor knew he probably wouldn't sleep, but Evan looked exhausted.

"I'll show you to the guest room." Connor said, walking down the hall towards where the spare rooms were. Sometimes Zoe's friends slept there, but usually they slept in her room on an air mattress or something.

"Th-thanks, Connor." Evan said.

"No problem. Mom will probably wake you up for school in the morning."

Evan nodded, then his eyes widened.

"Connor, I took all my school stuff out of my bag earlier. I completely forgot! A-all my homework is at m-my house!"

"Relax, we'll leave early tomorrow and swing by and grab it." Evan took a breath and nodded.

"Thanks."

"Anytime. Good night, Tree Boy."

"Night, Con." Evan said, opening the door. He paused and turned around, throwing his arms around Connor. "You're a great friend." He whispered in Connor's ear, then slipped through the door and closed it, leaving Connor frozen in the same spot. He hadn't even reacted.

He turned around when he heard snickering.

"Gaaaaaayyyy," someone said from the end of the hall. Zoe stuck her head out her bedroom door, holding her phone in her hand. She dramatically swiped at the screen. "Oh, these pictures will make great blackmail." she sighed happily.

"What?" Zoe showed him pictures of him and Evan standing close to each other, smiling happily at each other while they were talking, and then Evan standing on his tiptoes to hug Connor. There was one that almost looked like they were kissing. Connor blushed, trying to grab the phone, but Zoe snatched it back, laughing.

"Don't even try, I already backed it up and sent them to myself in an email. Even if you delete them on here, I still have multiple copies." Zoe fibbed. She just didn't want Connor to grab it and chase her around. She was feeling lazy.

Connor gave her a blank look and held up his middle finger.

Zoe laughed as he trudged back to his room.

Connor lay on his bed, trying to sleep. When he closed his eyes, he could faintly smell Evan on his sheets where the boy had been sitting. He sighed and snuggled into the pillows, falling asleep quickly for the first time in a long time.

Meanwhile in the guest room, Evan was freaking out.

He wasn't used to this new room. The bed was ten times bigger than his at home, and the window curtains cast funny shadows on the walls. He was never going to sleep.

After tossing and turning for hours, he looked at his phone at 2am, and decided he'd had enough. He was tired and cranky; he'd had more than enough time alone with his thoughts. Not even thinking it through all the way, he threw the blankets back and sneaked out of the room. He quietly padded down the hall to Connor's room before he could even think about it and knocked lightly on the door. He didn't expect an answer, so he crept inside.

"C-Con?" He whispered. He shut the door softly and went over to the edge of Connor's bed. Connor was curled in a ball, hugging a pillow. He looked really cute, Evan thought.

He shook his head. Not now, Evan.

"Connor?" He poked Connor's cheek once, then twice. Connor twitched and swatted his hand away. Evan giggled.

He put his hand on Connor's shoulder.

"Two more minutes..." Connor said, rolling over.

"Connor, it's me, Evan."

It took a minute, but Connor sat up.

"What's wrong, Ev?" He rubbed his eyes blearily.

"I uhm...I.."

"Couldn't sleep?"

Evan nodded sheepishly.

"Come on." Connor moved over and pulled the blankets back. "Get in."

"B-but--"

"Ev, it's two in the f*cking morning, get in this bed or I'll kill you."

Evan hopped in, lying on his back straight as a board.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to yell." Connor said sleepily. He threw his arm over Evan's chest. "I'm just tired." He pulled Evan towards him and sighed. "Night."

Evan had no idea what to do. Connor just forced him to sleep in his bed, then started using him as a pillow.

Deciding not to question it, Evan closed his eyes and went to sleep with a smile on his face.

***

All righty. Here's a long chapter for y'all. I hope you enjoy it, the drama is beginning to pick up. :D also happy pride month everybody!! Have a great day :)
~hamilfan12398

Continua llegint

You'll Also Like

21.5K 903 20
Evan Hansen watched the taller boy take off with his letter, thoughts of what he might do with it rushing through his mind and encouraging him to pur...
14.1K 636 22
help /help/ verb 1. make it easier for (someone) to do something by offering one's services or resources. Connor Murphy needs help. Jared Kleinman n...
3.5K 132 19
Connor goes and overdoses in a park, but Evan finds him before anything goes too terribly wrong. Their newfound friendship blossoms into a bromance...
1K 17 12
TRIGGER WARNING: Suicide Attempt, Self-Harm, Anxiety, Panic Attack, Bipolar Disorder, etc. Connor Murphy was always scared of himself, so to make up...