Doomed

By realllyreilly

Onyx Blakely is crazy. She claims to see ghosts. She claims that she has demons visit her in the middle of th... More

intro
prologue
chapter 1
chapter 2
chapter 3
chapter 4
chapter 5
chapter 7
chapter 8
chapter 9
chapter 10
chapter 11
chapter 12
chapter 13
chapter 14

chapter 6

4.1K 252 40
By realllyreilly

"Nyx."

The sweet coo of my name caught me off guard, mostly because of who it came from and the fact that I didn't exactly associate the word "sweet" with her. I peeked down at the small child who stood at my side, glancing up at me with big brown eyes, batting her eyelashes. I narrowed my eyes, coming to the conclusion that she most likely wanted something from me since the only people she was this nice to was Isaiah and Thorne.

"Hi, Sophia," I said, trying to hide the weariness that I was feeling. School didn't always used to wipe me out, but it did now, probably because I wasn't as big on socializing.  Though I had never been that big of a fan when it came to socializing. "Can I help you with something? Are you looking for Isaiah?"

Sophia blinked several times, as if offended by the fact that I had questioned her. I raised my eyebrows, patiently waiting for her to answer me.

"I was wondering if you would come play with Thorne and I." Her words continued to drip with sugar, not making me any less suspicious of her. The only people I had ever heard her regard with that much sweetness and patience was Isaiah and Thorne. "We would really like it if you joined us."

I continued to eye her up with obvious suspicion but nodded slowly, giving my consent to come join them. I set down my bottle of water, holding my hand out for her. I had taken notice on her tendency to drag people places; she could never simply lead someone somewhere, she had the need to take their hand and drag them behind her, as if whatever she had to show them just could not wait. I allowed her to do this to me and I bit my lip to contain the smile that wanted to break through. I would never admit it out loud, but I secretly enjoyed the fact that she had decided to drag me too.

She lead me through the house and out the back doors into the backyard where Thorne was waiting. The little boy sat in the middle of the yard, his blue eyes watching something in the far distance, though he was probably more so lost in his own mind than he was concentrating on whatever he was looking at. Sophia released my hand, skipping over to her best friend and resting her hand on his shoulder to draw him back to Earth. He looked up and smiled brightly, apparently pleased that she had returned.

"I brought us a friend," Sophia announced, her grin so wide I thought it might split her face. "Now we can play tag." She looked over at me, raising her eyebrows. "Right, Nyx? We can play tag now that we have three people, right?"

I forced a smile and nodded jerkily, pushing my hair away from my face. "Yes, Soph," I said. "We most certainly can play tag with three people."

And so we did. For what felt like hours, Sophia, Thorne, and I ran around the yard, lunging for each other and attempting to make someone else 'it'. I refused to admit it to myself, but I actually had fun while playing tag with them. When I stumbled and fell, sprawling out on the grass, I didn't have it in me to get back up, pressing my face into the ground as I giggled. A weight landed on my back and I let out a groan just as another weight fell onto my back too. I had no doubt what the weight was but only grinned, allowing the kids to rest on me.

"Nyx?"

I squirmed at the sound of my name being called, urging the kids to get off of me. When they didn't budge, I swatted at them until they stood. I stood up after them, stretching and sighing in relief when my tense muscles relaxed slightly. Thorne took my hand, leaning into me and I didn't stop him, pulling him close to me as I looked around for who had been calling me.

Isaiah stood at the door, his eyebrows raised as if wondering what exactly he was observing. I couldn't blame him as it was pretty out of the ordinary to see me somewhere other than the kitchen or my room, and especially spending time with other human beings. My hands began to sweat slightly, reminding me that I wasn't the fondest of attention of any sort. Attention from the boys was a little different, but still caused my heart rate to pick up and my anxiety to spike.

"What's up?" I asked, brushing hair away from my face and attempting to go for nonchalant. I didn't know how to act casual, but I was sure as hell trying.

"Uh," Isaiah said, obviously put off by the fact that I was trying, something I had really only done half assed since I had joined them in the foster home. He shoved his hands into his pockets, eyeing up Thorne and Sophia who were both clinging to me. I briefly entertained the idea that he might be jealous. "You have visitors."

My eyebrows shot up and I released Thorne's hand from my shock. "Visitors?"

He nodded, his lips quirking up slightly. "Morgan and Paisley. I guess they like you. They came over to hang out with you, though we assumed they had come over to hang out with us."

"You shouldn't assume things, it makes an ass of you and me, " the words rolled off my tongue before I could stop myself. I was all too familiar with the phrase, it being one that my father often said to me and my mom. I bit my lip, aware that I had just swore in front of kids and snipped at Isaiah for no apparent reason. I danced in place for a moment before strolling forward and into the house. "Thank you for telling me that they came to see me."

I ignored the "you're welcome" he threw after me and practically jogged to the living room, where I thought the girls might be waiting. I had been correct since the girls were lounging on the couch together, Paisley's legs thrown over Morgan's and a look of adoration plastered on her face. I hadn't been friends with the girls long, but long enough to notice the way they looked at each other as if they had found their one and only in life. Sometimes it made my heart warm, other times a sick feeling formed in the pit of my tummy. It was one of those sick days, but I pushed it away, forcing a smile.

"Hey, guys," I greeted them, taking notice of the fact that Jase and Landon were sitting in the room as well but in the armchairs. I turned my body so it was facing the girls more so than the boys; I was more comfortable facing them than Landon and Jase, which was weird considering I lived with the latter.

Morgan lit up and leaned forward, forcing Paisley to move her legs. "Darling!" She crooned and I grinned. I was absolutely endeared by the way she treated everyone like they were a potential lover but somehow managed to never offend Paisley in the process. "I'm so glad you're here. I was worried that you might have gone out galavanting without us."

We stared at each for a solid five seconds before bursting into laughter. The idea that I would go out and about, causing mischief, and on my own at that, was so ridiculous that it was hilarious. I spent most my days in my room by myself, drowning in thoughts and guilt. Paisley smirked, leaning back, looking so at home that I had to believe she visited often.

"It's good to see you laugh," she said plainly as if those simple words wouldn't impact my breathing and heart rate and cause me to pause, trying to remember the last time I had laughed before that. "It makes you look prettier than you already are. You should do it more often." She paused, letting her words sink in before continuing. "I'm sure Isaiah already told you, but we'd like to hang out, and we brought something fun to do."

"I want to tell her," Morgan declared, nudging her girlfriend in the ribs. Paisley stuck her tongue out childishly and shoved Morgan back but then sent her a mega watt smile, as if reassuring they were still hopelessly in love.

My eyes darted between them before they rolled into the back of my head and I shot them a glare. "If you want to tell me so bad then tell me now."

I heard Jase snicker from behind me and then Landon hurriedly shush him. I bit my lip hard to contain my grin at how much this group amused me. They were never failing to get my mind off things, and it was moments like this that made me wonder why I tended to avoid them and push them away.

"We found a Ouija board!" Morgan exclaimed, practically bouncing with excitement. My mouth dried instantly and I swallowed hard. A wave of dizziness went over me, knots forming in my stomach and squeezing tight. The faces from my nightmares passed over my vision and the urge to cry overwhelmed me. Morgan must have noticed the change in my attitude and rushed on, worry sparking in her eyes. "We don't have to play with it though. We can just hang out if you want, maybe watch a movie, play Truth or Dare like stupid teens."

"No," I choked out, forcing an eager smile. I wasn't going to spoil their fun because I was a psycho bitch. "Let's play. It could be a lot of fun."

Morgan lit up again and nudged Paisley, who leaned over and pulled out of her bag a box. Black dots swarmed before my eyes as I regarded the board like it was a wild animal, as if it would suddenly lunge and attack me. If only I could reach out for the wall to support myself without the others worrying.

What felt like seconds later, I was sinking onto the floor, sitting in between Mik and Paisley. We were gathered around the board, the lights turned off and candles lit up and placed around the room at intervals. Cassius and Isaiah had opted out of joining us, leaving just Mik, Landon, Jase, the cutest lesbian couple alive, and I. Mik bumped his shoulder against mine, as if trying to reassure me or encourage me but I only flinched away. Hurt flickered across his face and I immediately regretted my action, but not enough to apologize for it. I wiped my sweaty palms on my legs before reaching out to join the others in resting my finger upon the heart shaped piece in the center of the board.

"I assume everyone knows the rules, right?" Landon asked, concerning flashing over his face for just a moment. Despite the anxiety that was seizing me so hard I could barely see, my lips quirked up slightly, finding the amount of care he showed towards us endearing and sweet. When we all gave an answer in the affirmative, Landon nodded towards Paisley and Morgan, indicating they could begin.

The moment we started circling the piece around the board, I had the urge to recoil and draw away, as if just by touching the piece it was burning me. My fingers twitched but I ground my teeth together, the familiar pain slicing through my jaw, grounding me. I stared at the piece, as if daring it to play some funny games with us, waiting for it to prove to them that I was crazy.

After circling three times, Morgan took the lead, her blue eyes shimmering in the candle light. "Are there any spirits present with us?"

I held my breath and secretly hoped that it wouldn't move, that they would see this entire thing was a bust and let the entire idea go. My hopes were crushed as the piece slowly inched across the board to the word yes. Tears formed in my eyes, blurring my vision and I tucked my head against my shoulder, as if looking away could stop the inevitable.

"Is someone moving it?" I asked in a breathy voice, scooching closer to Mik, close enough that my shoulder pressed against his. I pretended to ignore the beam he sent me, fully concentrated on the fact that my heart was pounding so hard that I worried it might overwork itself.

Everyone shook their head, their eyes wide with wonderment, staring at the piece that was still resting on yes. It was probably apart of my imagination but I felt as if the plastic was vibrating beneath my fingers, full of untamed and unyielded energy waiting to be claimed or harnessed. The thought made my eyes cross and I scrunched up my nose, forcing my brain to think of something else. I concentrated on the heat of Mik's body pressed against my own, and how he was leaning into me as if he could tell that I needed the extra support in the moment.

Everyone looked at each other, as if silently questioning what the next question should be. Before anyone could speak up with something most likely dumb or cliche, the piece began to move again. I physically jerked away from the board, as if that could stop what was happening, but my hands remained where they were, reluctant to move away.

The plastic heart shaped game piece moved inched towards the N, and then the Y, then lastly the X. I held my breath, waiting for it to move again, but it didn't and this time I did tear my fingers away. My hands fluttered up and pressed against my chest, feeling the beating of my heart through my ribs and skin. I blinked several times and for a second, the roaring in my ears blocked everyone calling my name. A gentle hand gripped my wrist, leading my hand back over to the piece. I looked away the moment it began to move again and squeezed my eyes shut. Mik urged me to open them, and reluctantly, I did.

The piece inched slowly until it spelled out A L L H A I L T H E Q U E E N. I could feel bile rising in my throat, that phrase sickeningly familiar to me, a saying that haunted my dreams. My shoulders were shaking from the effort it was taking to continue breathing and not just pass out.

"I don't want to play anymore." My voice filled the quiet room. Everyone nodded, their eyes still wide and understanding clear on their face. We all whispered a goodbye, aware that was how you needed to end the game. I was the only one who didn't say the word, pulling my hands away before the others had even finished.

There was no use in me trying to stop demons and spirits from entering my life; they had been following me for as long as I could remember and there was nothing I could do to stop it.

a/n: Fun fact: I'm literally terrified of Ouija boards so it's a miracle I even gathered the courage to WRITE about it. 

I hope you guys enjoy this  chapter, I'm not very fond of it, I felt like my writing sucked in it. I really hope you guys find Sophia, Thorne, and Maisley as cute as I do. More action with the boys coming your way soon. What do you think of the story so far? Any theories on where it's going or what's going on with Nyx?

Thank you for reading.

xoxo, ry.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.6M 84K 28
Nocte Defunctorum...also known as Night of the Dead. One night of every twenty years vampires can come into the human world and take Potential Mates...
16.8K 305 27
Nyx is a girl with a secret. She sees ghosts. Her father didn't like the fact that she sees them, so he would punish her. She is now a scarred adult...
712K 22.6K 31
Traitor. Whore. Unworthy. Coward. Murderer. Worthless. Nothing. Heartless. Is this what makes a rogue? Is this what condemns all rogues to death or...
486 45 40
Alistair's being plagued by dreams about a certain creature. And someone who could be his Grandmother, but no, she died. He lives in a town called Mi...