chapter 7

I was woken by the sound of whispers, and moonlight dancing over my face. A blanket was thrown over my legs, a blanket that hadn't been there when I had dozed off on the couch during the third movie that Paisley and Morgan had insisted on watching. I pressed my face into the pillow my head had been resting on, deciding that it must have been my imagination once again. The whispering increased in volume and I lifted my head, eyebrows furrowing together.

My imagination sounded a hell of a lot like a pissed off Cassius, frustrated Morgan, and concerned Landon. I sat up fully, and as I did so, noticed Paisley sprawled out on the floor on a bed of blankets, a thin blanket thrown on top of her as well. The moonlight caused her blue hair to shimmer and shine, and if it hadn't been for the fact that the voices were rising in intensity, I would have admired it longer. I carefully stood, wobbling and stepping over Paisley, noticing that Jase was passed out in an arm chair, his cheek resting against the arm of it. He had no blanket, most likely having given them all to Morgan, Paisley, and I; a true gentleman although a flirt as well.

I tiptoed over to the entrance of the hall and crouched next to the wall, where no one could see me; I was too sleepy to feel guilty about eavesdropping.

"First, you bring a Ouija board into this house, having Nyx of all people play with you," Cassius' voice was stern and even harsh, and I flinched, glad that he wasn't directing his words to me. "Then, you had to upset Mik, and now he's gone. Isaiah can't find him, Morgan." He paused and his voice lowered, causing me to strain my ears to continue listening. "I expected more from you. Maybe with Jase or Paisley I could understand allowing all of this to happen, but I asked for a day off and you couldn't even handle watching over Mik and Nyx for me. How could you be so irresponsible?"

"Cassius," Morgan's voice sound deceptively calm though his name rolled off her tongue like venom. I was shivering from the way they were speaking to each other, wondering how they could be best friends and still spew these words at each other. "Politely fuck yourself. By the time Mik had ran off, you were back in charge. And as for Nyx, you knew the time would come, you kumquat fucking mutt. She's going to find out eventually and it can either come from us, or one of them. It's up to you, Cass, but I'm not covering for you anymore only to have you chew me out. Now, if you'll excuse me I'm going to go check on my best friend and go back to sleeping with my girlfriend."

My eyes were wide at the exchange and my sleepy mind couldn't put the pieces together. I scrambled back to the couch, tucking myself beneath the blanket and turning my back to the rest of the room. I forced my breathing to even out, in case Morgan cared enough to check, and gripped the fluffy blanket tightly. The house quieted down and as it did, my mind became noisy, trying to figure out what was going on. Sleep claimed me before I could put my detective skills to use.

***

"I hate your house in the mornings," Paisley announced in the morning, sliding past a hysterical Thorne to get to the breakfast nook that Morgan and I were sitting at. She directed this announcement towards the boys, rubbing at her eyes. I tilted my head, observing the fact that she looked better in my shredded Iron Maiden shirt than I ever did. I made a mental note to let her know that she could keep it if she wanted to.

"Stop spending the night here then," Jase said plainly, raising his eyebrows at her. Paisley scoffed and flicked her fingers at him in a dismissive way. She perched herself on the edge of the breakfast nook table, smirking at me. I paused in the midst of sipping my coffee and stared her down, waiting for her to say something.

"You're riding with M and I today," Paisley whispered to me and I nodded slowly, wondering why she was behaving as if this was a plot to take down the government. She noticed the confusion on my face and rolled her eyes, leaning close enough that I could smell her signature peppermint scent. "The boys don't know. Once you finish your coffee, we'll sneak you out of here and leave. Thorne and Sophia are bratty today, they won't even notice."