What You're Not | ✔

By keahlovee

[Now free to read!!] When she moves to a new town, all Loren wants is a fresh start. But things get complicat... More

✨ ANNOUNCEMENT ✨
01. The Walls
02. Party Crashers
03. Pure Ego
04. Fashion Club
05. Study Buddy
06. Miss Attitude
07. This Is Weird
08. Sweaty Palms
9. Starless Night
10. Drugstore Proposal
11. The Guidelines
12. Just Friends
13. Thirteen Again
14. Regret Hangover
15. Destiny's Plan
16. PB&J
17. Locked In
18. Jealous
20. Coming Clean
21. Caffeinated Apologies
22. Fear Of Feelings
23. Choices
24. In Between
25. Insecure
26. The Maze
27. Rivals
28. Buried At The Bottom
29. Different
30. The B Word
31. A Second Chance
32. Third Times A Charm
33. Soft Spots
34. Paper Cuts
35. The Fall Festival
36. The Truth
37. Playing House
38. Family Dinner
39. Murky Water
40. Sleep Over (1)
41. Sleep Over (2)
42. Rule Breaker
43. Worth It
44. Masquerade (1)
45. Masquerade (2)
46. Numb
47. Hope
48. Fight For It
49. Protective, Possessive
50. Collide
Epilogue
*BONUS* 29. Different (miles's pov)

19. Flash Flood

37.7K 1.5K 117
By keahlovee

I wadded up yet another one of my sketches, tossing it on the floor with the others. A small pile of crappy designs began to form on my carpeted floor and it made my stomach sink.

I'd spent almost two hours trying to come up with designs for the fashion show. Nothing I came up with was good enough. Maybe it was the pressure of the short time-frame Coach Sanders and Principal Williams gave us when they green-lighted the show.

Apparently, Westbrook High had a booked social calendar. The only available date was in December. It was November. There was no way we could pull this off in that amount of time.

Or maybe my lack of decent ideas stemmed from the fact that I sucked at design. I didn't know what I was doing. I didn't even really follow fashion. The only reason I began sewing in the first place was because I wanted a dress that was out of my parents' prince range. So, I made a duplicate myself, with a little help from Aunt Linda.

What was I thinking when I agreed to do this? Who did I think I was? The editor of fashion magazine tells me she likes my jeans and suddenly I think I can design an entire line of clothes?

Defeated, I got up from my desk, stepping over my crumpled up pile of failures and exited my room. Mom sat on the sofa in the living room, her phone pressed to her ear as housewives argued on the TV.

When I lowered myself beside her she mumbled a goodbye to the person on the other line before ending the call.

My brow raised at her suspiciously. "Who was that?"

"Oh, no one," she smiled, looking at the TV. "Just the hospital."

My lips tilted into a frown. It was Friday and she mentioned having the day off. Between my school work and now the fashion show I felt like I hadn't seen her much. "Are you going in?"

She sighed lazily. "For work, no. I'm just going in to make sure my shoulder is healing properly."

"When you're done with that and I'm done with tutoring maybe we can watch a movie?" I suggested. The whole fashion show thing was stressing me out and I needed to take a break.

"Don't you have clothes to design?"

So much for that plan.

"Yes, but..." My words trailed off as I tried to think of the right way to word my thoughts. Telling her I was in way over my head and the fashion show was going to do go down in flames might've caused her to worry.

"You're nervous?" She filled in for me.

That was a bit of an understatement. I nodded in agreement anyway, deciding against telling her about the huge weight I'd placed on my shoulders.

She reached out, clasping her hand around mine and offering up a supportive smile. "That's completely normal," she said, her voice soft and comforting. "Just keep in mind that they wouldn't have asked you to do this if they didn't have faith in you."

"They're cheerleaders. Their job is to be supportive, even if the team is losing," I retorted.

"It's not just the cheerleaders rooting for you. What about Victoria Hernandez? The editor of that fashion magazine."

My brow furrowed as I looked at her. I never told Mom about my conversation with Victoria because it was too good to be true: something that would have fizzled out before anything really came out of it. One of the most prominent names in the fashion world discovering me inside a farm-themed restaurant? Stuff like that only happened in movies or to people who weren't me.

"How'd you know about that?" I questioned.

"She called earlier when you were up in your room, hunched over your desk," she said, her brow creased with confusion. "I told you and you said to tell her you'll call her back."

I vaguely remembered the short interaction. It happened during the peak of my internal crisis, when I thought a tutu would be a good idea for one of the sketches I was working on. The thought made me shudder in disgust.

"Why did you tell me she offered you a job?"

"An internship," I corrected, pulling my knees up onto the couch. "I didn't think she was serious."

"She is serious and wants you to call her back to set up a meeting."

Any normal person who had the same opportunity as me would've been happy. Ecstatic, even. That's not at all how I felt. My mind went into over-drive playing out the worst case scenarios. All of them ending with me making a complete fool of myself.

+++

Cameron's phone beeped as a timer went off. "Pencils down!" We all followed instructions. When he asked us to pass him our practice quizzes, I hesitated. 

Half of my quiz was blank. I was doing great until Miles walked in fifteen minutes ago. He didn't even knock or say anything, just headed straight down the hall. Why was he always there?

After realizing my crush on him, his very presence was able to throw me off track. Despite my feelings for him, I still couldn't get over what happened on Halloween.

A headache started to form the longer I thought about it. I couldn't wait to get home and start a movie marathon with Mom.

When I passed Cameron my test, I didn't miss his frown at my lack of answers. He stacked the papers together. "Alright, that's it for the day," he announced. "We'll review the quiz next session."

"But it's only been forty minutes," Jessica interjected, with a borderline whine.

"I know and I'm sorry about that. But I did text you to let you know this session would be cut short," he said, hurriedly. The sudden flush on his cheeks wasn't easy to miss. "I have a date."

That explained his current appearance. He was usually in jeans and a shirt with some sort of comic book character on it. This day he looked a little more put together. He swapped out his T-shirt for a black button-down and his red jeans didn't look like they were just picked up off of his bedroom floor. Even his hair was styled nicely.

"Nice," Darrin grinned, high-fiving Cameron.

Jessica scoffed, slamming her hands on the table as she jolted up from her seat. "I'm supposed to flunk math so that you can get laid?"

Her outburst was followed by a few seconds of awkward silence as we all just stared at her.

"It's only the first date," Cameron coughed, his face became even redder.

I held back a laugh as Jessica rolled her eyes and began gathering up her things. She left out in a huff, making a point to slam the door behind her.

"Good luck on your date," Darrin called over his shoulder as he too left.

Once it was just Cameron and me, he asked, "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah," I replied quickly, trying to hurry and pack my bag. "I just...spaced. Headache."

As I zipped up my backpack my phone began to beep obnoxiously. Cameron's did the same and I knew it was an alert of some kind.

"Flash flood warning," he read out loud.

Living in California my whole life had not prepared me for rain. No umbrella. No rain coat. Just a pullover meant to keep me warm, not dry. The rain began pelting against Cameron's house immediately. The sound causing me to shiver at the thought of being soaked in it.

His eyes shot up to me. "Are you taking the bus?"

"Unfortunately," I said, slipping my bag onto my shoulder. Glancing down at my phone, I noted that it would be, at least, a thirty minute wait.

I didn't worry so much about a car back in Adsgrove because I never really went anywhere. The rain had me considering getting a job so I could buy one. I wonder if the internship Victoria offered me paid?

"Do you want a ride?"

The sound of rain became louder as it pounded against the house. I did not want to walk in that.

"I don't want to make you late for your date," I said, as his phone dinged with a text.

"Don't worry about it." He waved off, his thumbs tapping at his phone as he replied to the text. From the grin on his face I assumed it was his date. "Miles can take you."

My stomach roiled at the thought of sitting in the car with Miles.

I hadn't talked to him since I brushed him off the other day. Avoiding him had been relatively easy. The fashion show was the perfect excuse for not being able to chat with him. I wouldn't have that luxury if we were in the same car.

My only options were to accept the ride from Miles and be swept away by a flood of hormones or to possibly be swept away in an actual flood.

Cameron glanced down the hall before leaning in and whispering, "You know, he feels like shit for leaving you the party."

That was hard to believe. He certainly wasn't acting like it.

"I'm serious," he insisted as if he could read my mind. "Maybe you could just give him a chance to explain?"

Before I could make a decision Cameron was shouting down the hall for his friend. Miles appeared only seconds later, dressed in sweats and a hoodie - half zipped with no shirt underneath. My heart beat at twice it's normal speed and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't pull me eyes away from his muscled chest.

Damn it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

81.4K 4.1K 26
"You know for someone with your name, you're reputation with love is something else," "That's because none of them were you, now come back and let m...
330K 11.8K 46
"And it took me a while to realize it, but everything I've had to go through in this life, all the pain and sadness I've had to bear . . . well, its...
324K 14.6K 47
"I don't know," Gale muttered, the words barely making their way out of his throat. "I don't know how I can stay away from you." ____...
1.5M 40.8K 29
"I heard he got shot and died" "No, I heard he shot someone and went to prison" "So not true, I heard he got kicked out of his gang and had to skip t...