Random Writing Tips

By jynxii

More

Random Writing Tips
Song Lyrics in Stories
Texting
Snowballed Descriptions
Stories Based off Assumptions
Announcing your age to the world
Clustering Dialogue
Lack of Transitions
Simple, need-to-know spellings
Talking in Stereotypes
All writers should consider this tip!
Forgotten Objects
Fan, Vote Comment!
Author's Notes
'A' and 'An'
Book Covers
Summaries
Advertising
Pesky Double-Meaning Words

TYPING IN ALL CAPS

647 20 4
By jynxii

There is absolutely no need to TYPE IN ALL CAPS, EVEN IF YOUR CHARACTER IS YELLING! Unless it’s a sign or some sort implied warning (such as a caution sign) there is really no need for caps. No one likes to be yelled at when reading.

The best way to imply that your character is yelling or is trying to make a point is to either say that, or italicize the words.

For example:

“John, GET DOWN HERE NOW! YOU’RE GOING TO BE LATE!” is far more annoying than “John, get down here! You’re going to be late!” and you can tell that the speaker is implying an urgent need for John to go downstairs, without having to yell at your readers.

But J.K Rowling did in the Harry Potter books, you object. Yes, but that doesn’t mean it was taken lightheartedly. I hated the ALL CAPS SENTENCES. I know a lot of other people do too.

The only time you really need them are if they are headlines or signs.

Examples:

“Dean read on the morning paper, ‘BREAKING NEWS: BLAHBLAHBLAH CRIMINAL HAS ESCAPED AGAIN!’ and sighed, wondering when they were going to catch him.”

“I neared a large, rustic sign that read, ‘WORTHALL’S FINE JEWELRY’.”

“ ‘CAUTIOUN; THIS ELECTRICITY WILL KILL YOU!’ the sign read, making me nervous.”

Just remember that there are other ways to make your point without having to type in all caps.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

117K 2.6K 52
imagines as taylor swift as your mom and travis kelce as your dad
5.1M 45.2K 53
Welcome to The Wattpad HQ Community Happenings story! We are so glad you're part of our global community. This is the place for readers and writers...
252K 7.3K 130
"𝑻𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆'𝒔 𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒍𝒍𝒚 𝒏𝒐 𝒘𝒂𝒚 𝒐𝒇 𝒘𝒊𝒏𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒊𝒇 𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒊𝒓 𝒆𝒚𝒆𝒔 𝒚𝒐𝒖'𝒍𝒍 𝒂𝒍𝒘𝒂𝒚𝒔 𝒃𝒆 𝒂 𝒅𝒖𝒎𝒃 𝒃𝒍𝒐𝒏𝒅𝒆."
63.5K 2.9K 19
فيصل بحده وعصبيه نطق: ان ماخذيتك وربيتك ماكون ولد محمد الوجد ببرود وعناد : ان مارفضتك ماكون بنت تركي !