Wolf (UNDER SOME SERIOUS REVI...

By -hickman

"Do you know what metal this knife is made of?" My breaths were coming out in ragged wheezes, sounding... More

Before You Read
Chapter One: The Beginning
Chapter Two: Lorenzo
Chapter Four: Rations
Chapter Five: Dreams
Chapter Six: Chores
Chapter Seven: Sick
Chapter Eight: Promise
Chapter Nine: Visitor
Chapter Ten: Boy
Chapter Eleven: Quote
Chapter Twelve: Gone
Chapter Thirteen: Stay
Chapter Fourteen: Betrayal
Chapter Fifteen: Innocence
Chapter Sixteen: Stronger
Chapter Seventeen: Cheap
Chapter Eighteen: Submission
Chapter Nineteen: Fragile
Chapter Twenty: Coronation
Chapter Twenty-One: Parents
Chapter Twenty-Two: Backstory
Chapter Twenty-Three: Fight
Chapter Twenty-Four: Heart
Chapter Twenty-Five: Trying
Chapter Twenty-Six: Dinner
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Shift
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Lycanthemine
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Forget
Chapter Thirty: Gift
Chapter Thirty-One: Friends
Chapter Thirty-Two: Control
Chapter Thirty-Three: Patricia
Chapter Thirty-Four: Showtime
Chapter Thirty-Five: Camilla
Chapter Thirty-Six: Panic
Chapter Thirty-Seven: The Handmaid

Chapter Three: Dungeons

40.5K 1.2K 860
By -hickman

Chapter Three:

     I backed up frightfully, my rations left forgotten on the counter as I shielded my face from the blow I was sure to come. I cower, feeling the eyes of everyone as they turn their heads to me. 

     "That's not enough!" He was seething, his fists clenching in anger.

     I held back my tears, knowing crying was inappropriate while being punished. Weeping was one of Alpha Greg's least favorite attributes. "I'm sorry, sir."

     "No- just stop!" He stepped forward and gripped my shoulders, angling down to look me in the face. I kept my head lowered, however, but he bent down on a knee to try and catch my eyes. I could feel his anger radiating through him, but his voice remained soft, "What did your old pack do to you? Why are you so afraid of everyone?" 

     "They taught me to be obedient, sir," I said quietly.

     Fear suddenly struck through me like a spear as I remembered I wasn't allowed to call him 'sir', he had forbidden me. Remorse seeped through my voice, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to call you sir. I will do better next time Lorenzo."

     He stood back to his full height causing me to flinch horribly, but he only grabbed my arm. He grabbed my wrist, tugging me forward and out of the kitchen.  This was it. The time had come for me to be punished. I was no doubt being led to the King's suite to be whipped.

    Silent sobs shook my shoulders. I held my breath to quell them. I could not cry in front of the King.

     He stopped in front of two large brown doors, "Stay right here." He ordered, disappearing through the doors and closing them behind him.

     I looked at the gold plate next to the door and started trembling violently. I didn't know what exactly the placard said, but I knew it was the King's office. Only the Alphas possessed gold plates. My legs were shaking, my knees weak as the temptation to crumple to the floor nearly overcame me. The smell of sweet vanilla and wood was intoxicating and fueled the draw of the mate bond that I had yearned for since I was a child.

    I heard a voice from the other side of the door, Lorenzo's voice, "You need to get the fuck up out of that desk and go help your mate. She's scared out of her mind." I heard Lorenzo scoff in disbelief,  "I found her on her hands and knees scrubbing the floor because she was terrified that she would get in trouble for tracking in mud."

     "When I offered food she asked if she was allowed. I watched her measure out a cup of dry lentils- fucking lentils- and tell me that this one meal was her ration for the week. Percyus... they only gave her a cup of dry lentils a week. They starved her and convinced her she does not deserve food."

     I heard the sharp crack of a hand slamming down onto a desk. Lorenzo kept speaking, "Are you fucking listening? Do you even know her name, Percy?"

     There was a pause, "No... I don't." The King's voice was low, almost too quiet for me to hear.

     "That's because she was never given a name. She is called 'girl', or 'servant'. She was their slave."

     There was a long beat of silence.

     Another slam of Lorenzo's fist, "Fucking listen to me! If you think for a second I will let this go on any longer, you're mistaken.  If you don't get out of this office and go help your mate I will take her myself. I'll show her what a real mate is supposed to be like." He growled.

     The crashing that immediately followed sent me reeling backward and I pressed myself into the wall across the width of the hallway. A vicious growl sliced through the air, nearly taking the breath right out of my lungs. The double doors rattled and creaked. I knew the King had Lorenzo pinned against them. "If you touch her, I will kill you." He threatened.

      "I'm not scared of your threats." Lorenzo bit back. "Go help her."

     "I have things I need to do." King Percyus seethed.

     "Oh, yes! Since hiding in your office with a drink is a pressing matter. I apologize, Your Grace."

     The sound of Lorenzo hitting the floor barely registered in my ears before the doors were yanked open. The King's eyes were blazing, his mouth pressed into a hard line. "Come in."

     I immediately obeyed, scurrying into the room. Lorenzo was making his way to his feet, his eyes locked on the King, who shut to door behind him. My heart was beating wildly against my lungs, squeezing the air out of me with every pump. I tried to control my rapid, shallow breaths. If I didn't get myself under control I would start hyperventilating. 

     I sank to my knees on the textured rug in the middle of the room, facing the King. I tucked my tangled hair behind my ears to make sure the King would be able to see my face as he struck me. I bowed my head and folded my trembling hands tightly in my lap. 

     "Don't you dare lay a hand on her." I heard Lorenzo grind out in a strained voice.

     King Percyus scowled at him, "I wasn't going to."

     "Bullshit." I heard Lorenzo snap. "You hit her the moment you met her."

     "She did not respond to my claim. She was disrespecting me. don't pretend like you didn't see that."

     Lorenzo scoffed once more, disbelief coloring his tone. "She was too afraid to answer. That much was obvious."

     "You have a lot of nerve disrespecting me like this- threatening to take my mate and judging my actions." The Alpha's expression was tainted with anger. "Pick your punishment."

    "You're going to punish me? For pointing out your flaws?" Lorenzo's eyes sparkled with barely contained rage.

     "You've openly threatened to take my mate. A punishment is me showing you mercy."

     Lorenzo smiled grimly, "Then throw me in the dungeons. I'd spend my life in the dungeons if it meant you would treat her with the respect she deserves."

     "A week." King Percyus said. "Go."

     "Gladly." Lorenzo strode from the room, meeting the guards posted to escort him.

     The door slammed shut as he left. I cringed away from the noise, my shoulders tensed up to my ears. Guilt was crawling up my throat. I should be the one in the dungeons, not him. I was the cause of all of this turmoil. I should be the one serving the punishment.

     "You do not have to kneel." His voice was quiet.

     I quickly stood, trying to ignore the blackness that started to shroud my vision, threatening to send me into unconsciousness. I hadn't yet had my ration. I would have received it yesterday in my old pack, but at this time yesterday, we were making our journey to the Kingdom pack. I didn't dare speak on the matter, I would be fed when they deemed fit.

     "Are you well, mate?" He asked.

     "Yes, sir."

     "You're trembling."

     I swallowed hard and focused on stilling my body. "I apologize, sir. I will not let it happen again, sir."

     "You do not have to be proper, you can speak freely." He folded his hands behind his back.

     I contemplated staying silent, wondering if this was some sort of test. Beyond my better reasoning, however, I spoke. "I would like to take Beta Lorenzo's place in the dungeons, sir."

     His head cocked to the side in confusion, "Why would you do that?"

     "I am the cause of this disturbance, therefore I should receive the punishment, sir." 

      He paused for a long while, taking in my words. "I don't think that is appropriate."

     "I insist, sir."

      He drew in a sharp breath, his expressionless face revealing nothing. "As you wish."

     He opened the doors once again, motioning for me to exit. I followed him from the room, trailing behind him. My legs were beginning to feel like rubber, my knees threatening to buckle with every step I took. My body needed food but my mind knew that I did not deserve it. Beta Lorenzo was only teasing me with my rations. He was never going to allow me to eat it.

     The stairs to the dungeons looked frighteningly similar to the ones at the Black Lunar pack. I wondered how long it would be until I was being thrown down these steps as well. The cold air of the dungeons bit into my skin, sending a shiver down my spine. We walked along the cells until we reached the Beta's.

     He was sat on the bed, his hands interlaced together, head bent in thought. At our footsteps, he raised his eyes, widening them in surprise. The guard posted at the cells opened the cage.

     "What is this for?" Lorenzo questioned.

     "She has requested to take your place and serve your punishment. By law, we cannot stop her from doing so." The king responded.

     "No!" Lorenzo raised his voice. He stepped out of the cage and stared me down. "You cannot do that. I won't allow it."

     "I will serve in place of you, for this punishment, Beta Lorenzo," I said quietly. 

     He turned to King Percyus with a vicious growl, "You can't let her do this."

     "I cannot stop her." 

     "But you'll sit back and watch? You sick bastard. This is your mate!" He jabbed the king in the chest with his finger.

     "You're dismissed, Lorenzo." The king said in a strained voice. 

     By the unabashed way Lorenzo spoke, I knew the two men were closer than just first and second in command. They were friends. I had caused them to fight. I felt like throwing up from the guilt that was eating at me.

     Lorenzo shook his head, a grimace painting his lips, "I thought you were better than this, Percy."

...

     My throat was parched in the stale, stagnant air. I licked my lips to no avail, only finding it harder to bring any moisture to my mouth. The air brought a chill down to my bones, wrapping around my joints like a vice. I was stiff, curled into the fetal position on the frozen floor. I didn't dare sit, let alone sleep on the bed. I was missing my box and the warmth it provided.

     It had been hours since the silver cage bars had closed behind me, leaving me in the chilly darkness. The guard stood watch in the corner, wrapped tightly in coats. He had not once looked in my direction, something I had been grateful for. I had wept for the first few hours in my cage, the heaviness of my new life crashing down on my shoulders.

     A tray of food was delivered to my cell a few hours before nightfall. The tray was loaded with different sorts of food, all in absurdly large portions. I began to wonder if they had given this food tray to the wrong prisoner, but I was the only one in the dungeons. They had piled the tray high with potatoes, steak, an apple, an orange, steamed vegetables, and a dessert.

     I looked at the tray with a feeling of guilt. Alpha Greg told me I did not deserve pack food. This type of food was reserved for those who were of higher rank than me.  My stomach roared in protest at my apprehension. 

     I gave in. I ate half of the vegetables, five bites of potatoes, and most of the steak. By the end, my stomach felt as if it would burst. My belly looked as if I were with child, filled to the brim. I had to lie back to ease the discomfort. 

     Despite whatever beating might come as a consequence of my eating so much, a satisfied smile spread across my lips as I drifted off into sleep.

     ~~~

Thank you for reading.

~~~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 8 22
"I have been waiting to meet my mate, My whole entire life..Why would you put your hands on me you are my mate." Talking through clenched teeth. He g...
882 122 24
(Sequel to the Alpha's Mate) *Complete* "Leave me Alone! Give me Roman! I need him! Leave me Alone!" I cried. "Roman won't be able to help you now. H...
2.3K 160 25
The cell was so quiet, I could hear my own heartbeat in the silence. This was far worse than pin-drop silence, this silence was deafening. I breathed...
503K 16.2K 31
Natalie was raised in a world where there is nothing more sacred than the mate bond. She lived with that belief all of her life, but when one of her...