Ocean Blue (Sea Lab Book 1)

By ericdabbs

When a Navy veteran is attacked by a man-eating monster fish in the Bahamas, he has to save himself, and the... More

COVER PAGE
COPYRIGHT
CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 32
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 34
CHAPTER 35
CHAPTER 36
CHAPTER 37
CHAPTER 38
CHAPTER 39
CHAPTER 40
CHAPTER 41
CHAPTER 42
CHAPTER 43
CHAPTER 44
CHAPTER 45
CHAPTER 46
CHAPTER 47
CHAPTER 48
CHAPTER 49
CHAPTER 50
CHAPTER 51
CHAPTER 52
CHAPTER 53
CHAPTER 54
CHAPTER 55
CHAPTER 56
CHAPTER 57
CHAPTER 58
CHAPTER 59
CHAPTER 60
CHAPTER 61
CHAPTER 62
CHAPTER 63
CHAPTER 64
CHAPTER 65
CHAPTER 66
CHAPTER 67
CHAPTER 68
AFTER THOUGHTS

EPILOGUE

1.9K 76 26
By ericdabbs

ISLAND IN THE SOUTH PACIFIC — A WEEK LATER

Jake scissor kicked toward a school of bright yellow fish. Fins darted here and there, avoiding his outstretched hand. Regrouping, they whipped around to his blind side to inspect the strange creature investigating their coral community.

A few days into its return trip to Hawaii, the Atlantis laid anchor offshore of the first tropical island it encountered. Captain Jack Oliver had pointed out the location on a map. It was hand drawn on the paper in the middle of the ocean. Much to everyone's surprise, the coconut tree oasis was not supposed to be there, but it was.

The dive excursion was recreational. Everyone needed to release some pent up energy. After almost a month of being driven to the brink, Sea Lab's newly assembled but thoroughly tested team was ready for something a little less adventuresome. It seemed like Paradise Island all over again, minus the rogue group of assassins, and Tahiti less one very determined hitman.

The azure blue water held a coral reef that encircled the island. Even more pleasant to see was the abundant variety of marine life swishing through the water, oblivious to the dangers that would have threatened them if one of Zanderthal's mutated barracudas broke loose in their sanctuary.

Jake peered up at the stern of the Atlantis floating above. Its long keel cast a shadow across the sandy bottom. Halfway up to the dive platform, Sarah used graceful dolphin kicks to propel her through the depths. Rachel had surfaced ten minutes before.

A few feet away, Tony glided over a colorful array of coral in the open sun. Jake sliced through the water and caught up with him, bubbles trickling from his breathing regulator.

"See anything you like here?"

"Everything," Tony said. "This is heaven on Earth."

"As close as you can get to it in this life. Look." He pointed ahead.

A five-foot barracuda knifed through the aquatic environment. Its elongated snout zeroed in on a shiny fish with blue tipped fins. In a blur, the predator snatched it up with its powerful jaws and cut a trail for the deep. 

Local fishermen hunted down most of the monster barracudas in The Bahamas and Tahiti. Each boat collected a bountiful reward from Sea Lab International. As for the creature trapped in the wreckage of the Hercules Australis, they could only hope it wouldn't escape its prison. But the most promising revelation was that they determined all the fish to be sterile, unable to reproduce. They learned that after the Australian authorities raided Zanderthal's office headquarters in Sydney. 

In time, they were certain the areas targeted by Ocean Blue's mad scheme would return to vitality. The world's oceans held a delicate balance, but life could be resilient when pushed to the breaking point.

Jake signaled to the surface and began his ascent. They were out of the water and on the research vessel's deck before Sarah had removed her wet suit. She used a towel to dry her hair.

"That's more like it," Jake said to Tony. Both of them plopped down on a bench that was bolted down on the ship's deck. "I was tired of running into the Goliath version of the barracuda."

"I'm with you there, bro."

Sarah sat next to Jake. "Are you okay with the decision we made last night?"

"I guess I'll have to deal with it." A frown came to his face. 

She was referring to the talk they had about working together and the possibility of renewing their relationship. They agreed to stay friends only, with Tony, Rachel, and Cat watching, despite the attraction that was drawing them together like a pair of magnets.

Sarah stared at him long and hard. "I'm not sure if I like the hierarchy my dad arranged for us."

"Jake Soloman, field supervisor of our special assignment team. Sounds good to me," he said with a painful expression, countered with a sly wink and grin, visible only to Sarah. "Guess it wouldn't be fair to everyone else on the team if I dated my subordinate... which just happens have a doctorate degree, I might add."

Tony looked up. "I've been at Sea Lab longer than both of you and I'm just a regular-o field assistant. Go figure."

"Maybe next time you'll be the one to save the woman in distress."

"Uh, hello? I am the one who saved her."

"But I had to fight for her... twice."

All of them shared a laugh.

After stowing their dive gear, the trio began the climb for the bridge, where Jake planned to snap a pic of the coordinates to the island on the captain's nautical map. It'd be a nice place to return some day.

He stopped halfway up the stairwell. "Could you guys excuse me a second? There's something I have to do."

He walked to the ship's stern in deep thought. The story of his father's demise unfolded in his mind like an action movie. The turbulent seas roared in his ears and he swore he could feel the wind pounding the Edmund Fitzgerald's deck if only for a moment. A snow flake landed on his nose. He searched the skies, amazed by how real his imagination seemed, since there wasn't a cloud in the sky. He knew with each resounding beat of his heart it was time to put his father to rest, some place less troublesome. Paradise. 

Maybe his father's soul was already there, but Jake knew this was his way of quieting his own spirit.

He reached back and removed the necklace that his mom had given him. That his dad had given her. The cross reflected a glare of sunlight as he cradled it in his hand. He'd have to be sure to snap that pic of those coordinates, as this place would take on greater meaning in the future.

"God rest your soul―" The prayer started, but a huge swell rose in his throat and prevented him from finishing. His eyes closed. He had never known the man who was his father, but Jacob Soloman Sr. seemed like a hero in his mind from all the stories his mother told him. One such story came to mind of his father surviving weeks adrift at sea after his trawler lost power overnight. After an exhaustive search, the coast guard rescued him. His father came out of the incident with a thicker beard and no less of a love for the ocean.

Jake tossed the charm overboard and watched it sink into the crystalline water. He heard a footstep behind him. He turned as a light breeze blew Sarah's hair across her face. She wiped it out of her eyes and embraced him.

Now more than ever, he wished for a wide open relationship. But they'd have a relationship—in secret. Sarah checked to see if anyone was looking. Then she kissed him.

He grinned and nodded toward the bridge. "Let's join the gang before they think something's going on between us."

He watched a dimple appear; her smile irresistible.

Jake let his eyes linger on her, worrying. What had Zanderthal's serum done to her? The night Sarah drank the water on the billionaire's ship, she suspected after being rendered unconscious that they injected her with the serum. She soon realized she enjoyed the benefits of increased speed, strength, and stamina. She looked every bit the same woman and hadn't changed in that regard, but now could match Jake and Tony in almost any physical challenge since their rescue at sea. Director Hardy planned on having her undergo a complete examination as soon as she returned to the states. Jake only hoped there were no harmful side effects. It angered him he couldn't get his hands on Zanderthal and punish him for violating Sarah's body, since he could only surmise that the man perished with his ship.

They made the top landing when Cat, followed by Rachel, exited the bridge where Tony waited on the balcony. For a second, Jake imagined Kevin Green gathered there as well. He grimaced, knowing that authorities had discovered his body, washed ashore, bullet wound to the forehead.

"I hope you guys enjoyed your free time," Cat's brows arched higher than usual, "because I just got off the horn with Director Hardy. Something's come up. Another assignment. We'll find out more in Hawaii."

Jake tipped his head to Sarah and Rachel. Then he looked at Tony.

"You heard the lady," he said with resolve. "Let's chart a course and put the sails to the wind. We have work to do."

THE END.

The Sea Lab Team will return...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Check out my after thoughts...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.9K 226 107
-Completed!- ***2018 The Beach Awards Winner*** ***2018 Fruits of LOVE Awards Runner-Up*** ***2018 The Pen Awards 3rd Place*** Born into a world of...
451K 24K 32
Arabella Cartridge had her heart stolen and it wasn't metaphorically. Driven by the need for revenge against the sea witch who stole it, Arabella has...
1 0 4
Love is the most powerful emotion, the only force that can defeat the alien Nanomachines, whose invasion changed our DNA and became the impetus for g...
18.8K 1.6K 42
Jake is a simple creature. He likes sex, violence, sex, bad reality TV, more violence, and sex. A happy eternal life for a very simple vampire. What...