Caught

Od prantikawrites

Highest Rank - #68 SF *BOOK TWO OF THE OPERATION EVOLUTIANS TRILOGY* Two Years Can Change Everything. After b... Více

CAUGHT
PLAYLIST
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Epilogue
AUTHOR'S NOTE
OTHER WORKS

Chapter Sixteen

362 39 42
Od prantikawrites

"It's an advent calendar," Dad explained, handing me a box-like object. I shook it lightly - there was something inside.

"What's it for?" I asked, tracing my finger around the little painted figures on the cardboard box. "What's inside?"

"Chocolate," Spencer said, looking up from his textbook. It's like he always has his nose tucked in one of those these days, it's not fun being around him. "Or little gifts. I've had one each year for Christmas but now I don't get one because I'm 'too old'."

Dad raised an eyebrow. "Spencer, you are a grown man. You don't need a children's toy-"

"But Lauren is sixteen!" He argued.

"And you had one when you were sixteen, remember? Plus, Lauren hasn't done the tradition, as far as she can remember."

"Yeah, Spencer." I stuck out my tongue at him.

He muttered something under his breath as he stuck his nose back into the book.

"Wait... what tradition?" I asked.

"Okay... it's not much of a tradition but it's a fun way to count down the days before Christmas," Dad explained. I looked at him strangely, confused about a small thing.

"What's Christmas?" I felt silly asking the question, knowing it probably was a big thing I missed out on for years. I know Spencer mentioned a 'Christmas Eve' but it wasn't like I knew what it was... and I didn't have time to ask. The shocked expression on Spencer's face told me it was a pretty big thing for him, at least.

"Only the best holiday ever!" He exclaimed, the look on his face making him look like a little boy. "It's full of food and presents and candy canes and-"

"Okay, okay, I get it." I cut him off, calming him down from all the hype. "So there are..." I count the squares on the box. "Twenty-four days until this magical celebration."

Dad nodded. "Each day, you open one of the little compartments and behind them are chocolates and toys. It's just a fun way to keep track of the days."

"Seems... fun..." Not really but it involves chocolates.

Dad chuckled. "I'm glad you're slowly accepting people into your life." He kissed my forehead and walked out the door.

It's been a week since the accident - December first. I've kept to myself for the time being, only talking to Spencer during the day. I haven't talked to my friends since, avoiding their phone calls and texts, too. Aidan didn't even want to talk to me, and I couldn't blame him.

I missed him. A lot. But he didn't miss me.

Dad was let into the circle of trust after spending nights with me after I woke from a nightmare. He held me in his arms, telling me everything was okay. He told me that sometimes relationships will be hard and painful and he told me that one day, all of this would be over. He stayed until I fell asleep again.

He showed me that he cared.

"Spencer," I said.

He looked up. "What is it?"

"We're leaving on Christmas Eve, right?" I asked, making sure I got the details right.

"Yeah. Why?"

I opened the twenty-fourth box on the advent calendar, unwrapping the candy in it and popping it in my mouth. "Now it's counting the days till we're out of this place."

"That would be a great Christmas gift if we were successful, huh?" He questioned.

I nodded. "Then we'll be free."

"Until they capture us again," Spencer stated.

I looked at him oddly. "I thought you were on our side."

"I am, but there's always the chance-"

"Think the positive, not the negative, Spence." I told him. "It's gonna work this time, I know it."

A rush of power flows through my veins, sending shivers up my spine. It happened every once and a while nowadays. The energy flowing through my body makes me feel good, feel energized. But at the same time, it makes me remember that I'm not normal.

Heat builds up in hands. It's burning my hands. I know I'm gonna loose control soon, so instead, I handle it myself.

I set my fingers ablaze, a small flame appearing in my right palm. I could feel Spencer watching me, yet he says nothing. I try a few more tricks with my powers, now creating a force field around the flame, protecting it.

"You're getting good at that," Spencer noted, watching me carefully.

"Thanks," I muttered, putting out the flame. "I've been working on it."

"You haven't been to training since the accident, right?" He asked.

I shook my head no. "I kind of learned better on my own than with an instructor."

He shut his book closed, finally. "You could always ask mom if you could drop out of training and do your own thing."

"She'd never risk it." I stated.

"Why not? She's gonna send you to the war front eventually."

"I'm not gonna talk to her. Again." I told him. "Why doesn't dad leave her already, he's a perfectly  good man with a serpent for a wife."

Spencer laughed. "It's not exactly easy for him though. If they divorce, he's gonna want you in his custody and mom won't let you go. Plus, you know mom uses mind control on him?"

I look at him with wide eyes. "That's not right. You should be with someone because you love them, not because you're forcing them to."

"Mom and dad were friends since they were kids." Spencer explained. "They fell in love in high school. They actually weren't married until after I was born and it was after you were born that mom got her head swarmed in the Institute and forgot about being a normal family."

"Dad doesn't deserve it," I say quietly. I do.

"You don't either, Lauren."

"Why do I feel like I do?" I asked hoarsely. Tears started filling my eyes.

Just before I could break down again, the front door swung open, my friends stumbling inside.

-- : --

"Where are you taking me?" I asked for the thirty-second time (yes, I was keeping count.) Tyson didn't say anything, just continued to tug on my arm.

"All you need to know is that you would want to know this," Alyssa said.

"I don't understand that sentence, Alyssa."

"It's about Jessica... and Aidan...." She said in response.

That sentence threw me off. "What do you mean? Are they okay?" Because after everything, I could hardly care less.

Tyson dragged me into the hallway where the entrance to the staff's headquarters are. Where our parents worked. He told me to be quiet, like I needed reminding. We slipped into the room, undetected.

Adults were everywhere but no one noticed us. Or, maybe they didn't care since Alyssa and Tyson were with me.

But they did tell me to keep quiet for a reason.

Where were we going?

Tyson and Alyssa led me into a hallway I've never been through. It was restricted to only staff members, according to the sign. But that didn't stop us. One swipe with Alyssa's card and we were in.

"Actually, where are we going?" I asked for the last time.

"Security room," Tyson spoke. Nothing more, nothing less.

He unlocked a door, opening it wide to let me and Alyssa in.

For a security room, it wasn't very secure.

No one was inside, surprisingly. There was a large monitor in the room, though. The screen was divided into several sections, each holding security camera footage.

The one blown up was of Aidan and Jessica. They were talking.

"Here," Tyson passed me a set of headphones. "Listen."

I put it on as he turned up the volume.

"You have to swear you won't tell anyone," Jessica said. "This is between you and me."

"I don't have anyone to tell," Aidan said. His words stung, reminding me that in his little world, we were never friends. He hated me more than anything. "Your secret is safe with me. What's up?"

"I'm different from you and the other Evolutains." She stated. I knew there was something up with her when I met her.

I guess I was right.

"I only have one power," She continued.

Damn. I was not expecting that.

"What?" Aidan asked, startled. "Is it even possible for Evolutians to have only one ability?"

"There's a few of us." Jessica said. "We were mistakes. We're actually supposed to be dead."

"Then how come you're..."

"Alive? My parents convinced them to let me live. I had to take pills to keep my powers hidden as I lived a normal life... though I didn't exactly knew then why I needed them. The pills."

"But you're here now." Aidan said. "Why?"

"I don't know but my life turned haywire after my parents' death. That's when the whole discovering-powers-and-Institute thing started."

"And the others? Have you met them?"

"Yeah, course. They were put into a different lab and some dude broke most of them out."

"Why are you telling me this, Jessica?" Aidan asked. I was curious too.

"I can trust you. Plus, you already knew before... kinda."

"I don't understand."

"You won't, Aidan. And something else."

"What?" His voice was hesitant.

"Aidan, you have to remember. Everything. I don't know what the Institute has done to you but you have to snap out of it. We all need you to."

"Memories are something you can't gain back."

"Lauren did it. Several times. She's strong. She won't let anyone control her."

Jessica looked Aidan straight into the eye for her next statement.

"You have to be strong like her. Or you'll always be second best."

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

89.3K 5K 10
Join Nick and Steph as they tackle different challenges life throws at them, from controlling fathers to lies and broken trust... Highest Ranking #40...
515 8 11
PG-13, Romance, Language, Self-Harm, Substance-abuse, Nudity, Sexual, Violence, Smoking, Drugs, Alcohol-abuse. You go back to the school you original...
21 1 11
My 2020 Novel for Nanowrimo Airena and her brother hide away in a cave after the Thracian's invaded their land and conquered Silistra, living in fear...
195K 12.5K 48
Sophie's future is planned out for her. Having just outgrown her studies and Job Placement in a few months, her path is straight and clear. But when...