The Ranch in Montana

By MissGreeneA

Harriet Grimm lived in Bel Air and she loved her life. Her parents spoiled their daughters and Harriet expect... More

Chapter Two: My Last Date
Chapter Three: The Town of Artemis' Hollow
Chapter Four: A Family Dinner
Chapter Five: My Favorite Song is Anna's Favorite Song
Chapter Six: There Is No Sweeter Innocence Than Our Gentle Sin
Chapter Seven: The Newest Member in the FFA
Chapter Eight: Reunited with Joseph Brown & The Acquaintance of Rory

Chapter One: When Did The Black Cat Cross My Path?

35 3 0
By MissGreeneA

"Many of my ancestors came from Europe, mostly Russia and France. Eventually they migrated to New York and made it here. For my Dad's family Bel Air has home for at least two decades now. My grandparents moved my dad and his brother here when he was only 10. Obviously, he stayed." I presented. Mr. Heck nodded and the class clapped. 

"Very good, Miss Grimm."

"Thank you." 

"I'm interested to know, why didn't you speak about your mother's side?"

"I wasn't able to get in contact with my aunt."

"Mary?"

"Yes. Have you met her?" Mr. Heck is a childhood friend of Dad. 

"I have. She is charming, did you ask your mother?"

"I never had the chance. She just got back from Florida." Truth was, I didn't know much about Aunt Mary and I didn't feel like talking to a stranger. I sat down next to my boyfriend, Jason McCarty. His dad is the mayor and we were childhood friends before we became an item.

"Why are you smiling?" I asked. 

"Harry, you're just fun to listen too." he answered. I ruffled his black hair and pulled up my pencil. 

"My dream is to entertain." He laughed. 

"Mr. McCarty! Miss Grimm!" Mr. Heck scolded. We apologized and went silent. 

"That concludes the presentations. For homework read chapter 4 and write three key features the chapter covers." he told us. The bell rang quickly after. 

"Harry, are you busy tonight?" Jason asked. 

"Depends." I answered. 

"I'm having some friends over for a pool party and it would be a shame if you didn't come."

"A shame?"

"Definitely." 

"I just have to attend." 

"Of course." I kissed him and grabbed my stuff. I saw Riley waiting for me by the door and I walked over to her.

"Did your presentation go well?" she asked.

"Yeah. How was math?"

"Boring."

"Well, I have good news!"

"What?" 

"We have plans tonight."

"Which are?"

"Jason is having a pool party."

"Fun! I can wear my new bikini." 

"Harriet Grimm report to Principle Mull's office, please. Harriet Grimm report to Principle Mull's office, thank you." the announcer said. 

"What's that about?" Riley asked. I shrugged. I walked to the principle's office and I checked my phone along the way. I had no text messages from Mom or Dad. When I walk in Principle Mull, Mom, Eleanor, and June are staring at me. 

"What is going on?" I asked. 

"I have news about your father." Mom told us. 

"What?" I asked. 

"Your father has killed someone." Mom answered. 

"On purpose?"I inquired.

"No, not at all. He ran someone over, he committed manslaughter. He is at the local police department now, but their will be a trial in a few weeks." Mom told us. 

"I'm sorry to hear about this, Mrs. Grimm." Principle Mull said. 

"As am I. I will be taking the girls out of school for the day." Mom told him.

"Of course." 

"I hope this will not get out to the students and staff." 

"Never." 

"Thank you, Daniel." 

"Of course, Georgia." We followed Mom out of the building and she looked more angry than upset. 

"When is his trial?" I asked. 

"In a few weeks, the date is still undecided." Mom sat in the front seat of and she placed her head on the driving wheel. 

"How could Daddy do such a thing?" Eleanor asked. 

"He wasn't paying attention." Mom answered bitterly.  

"What is going to happen?" June asked. 

"I don't know yet. I still have to call the family and then deal with finding a lawyer for your father." I will always remember sitting in that car and listening to Mom talk about Dad's crime. She never cried, her voice barely had emotion. That month of October was a busy one, I remember so many things being clear about it. When I did go to school and Dad's story found itself in the news, people at school would look at me weirdly. Jason and Riley always stood by my side and they were the first people I told about it, I didn't go to the pool party because of it. Dad's situation adopted the name, it, in our house. The next day I remember clearly was the trial. 

That day I wore a black dress and the pearls Dad gave me on my ninth birthday. The judge was an older man and he seemed kind. He was kind to my dad that day, he gave my dad only four years in jail when Dad deserved six. I remember the feeling of my heart when I saw my dad taken away in handcuffs and when he told me he loved me for the last time. Dad's hair looked very grey that day and the back of his hair was the last thing I saw of him. 

I sat in my room, listening to "My Little Girl" I always listen to that song when I think of my dad. My black cat, Sheldon, was asleep on my stomach. I refrained from moving as I texted Jason.

Before I could read his response, Mom called for me. Since Dad's trial, extreme changes have been made to our house. The cook, butler, and maids have all been fired, many of our belongings have been sold. Mom even had to get a job at a restaurant. I was afraid, I would be taken out of school and placed in a public school. I slowly get up, Sheldon follows me down stairs. Mom is sitting in the living room with my sisters. 

"Huh?" I ask.

"We're moving." Mom answers. 

"What?" Eleanor asked. 

"We're moving." Mom repeats.

"That's impossible! We simply cannot." June protested. 

"We can and are." Mom said calmly. 

"Mom, we have a life here!" I protested. I didn't want to move, I'd have to leave Riley and Jason. 

"We'll make a life in Montana as well."

"Montana?" I asked. 

"Yes."

"Why Montana?" June asked. 

"My sister lives there with her family." 

"Does she live in a mansion?" Eleanor asked. 

"A ranch house."

"We're moving to a ranch?" I asked. 

"Yes. I'll get a job helping Fred and you three will go to school with your cousins."

"Aren't they only boys?" June asked. 

"No, they have two girls. One is Harry's age and the other one is older." I don't remember my cousins' names, but I knew the one who's my age. She has light brown hair and is the older than her twin by two minutes. Last time I saw her, she acted like her brothers. 

"Why do we have to leave?" Eleanor asked. 

"Do you think I want to do this? We can't afford it here, I never got an education. I can't bring in enough money to provide for our family. My sister has offered us to live with her, I accepted. We will have to rent the house, but we will be able to afford it. It works for them, because we will all help them on the ranch." 

"We have to help on the ranch?" I asked. I imagined the dirt and manure.

"How else will show our gratitude?" Mom asked. 

"When do we leave?" June asked. 

"The end of week. I've already booked the tickets and we have a buyer. I wanted to tell you when everything was final." 

"The house wasn't on the market." I protested. 

"Jonah Heck, was always interested in the house. He's your teacher's brother. I reached out to him." 

"This is to much!" I protested. 

"She's right!" my sisters agreed. 

"I'm glad I didn't ask for your opinion, because I do not want to be homeless." Mom said. That was that.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

143K 5.1K 45
Kingston Series #4 THE FOURTH BOOK OF THE KINGSTON SERIES! FINAL ORIGINAL BOOK IN SERIES! Tayson Kingston has had the perfect life, after bring adop...
76.5K 5.3K 80
It was 5 years later. Time has changed. The seasons came and gone as did people. With his parents troublesome separation, 19-year-old Kairo was growi...
8.6K 134 7
In her pursuit of self-discovery, Ally's path unexpectedly leads her to a Montana ranch, where she encounters a rugged cowboy on his own journey towa...
212K 5.6K 32
A cloud covers her eyes as the anger takes over her. I grab her wrists and push her up against the cold wall behind her. I grab her jaw a little too...