Crow's feathers - Naruto fanf...

By the_hooded_girl

After years of banishment the fourth Suna sibling returns. But why now of all times and what is her connectio... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 Traitor
Chapter 2 Blood
Chapter 3 Sand
Chapter 4 Regret
Random Note 1 Profile
Chapter 5 Love
Chapter 6 Guilty
Chapter 7 Birds
Chapter 8 Shadows
Chapter 9 Heart
Chapter 10 Stormcrow
Chapter 11 Renegade
Random Note 2 Taryn
Chapter 12 Secrets
Chapter 13 Leaves
Chapter 14 Promises
Chapter 15 Truth
Random Note 3 Background
Chapter 16 Siblings
Chapter 17 Gone
Chapter 18 Duty
Chapter 19 Kidnapped
Chapter 20 Priorities
Chapter 21 Those that are precious
Random Note 4 Family
Chapter 22 Maturing
Chapter Extra C-rank mission
Chapter 23 Ichibi
Chapter 24 First touch
Chapter 25 Jinchuuriki
Chapter 26 Faith
Random Note 5 Akatsuki
Chapter 27 Friends
Chapter 28 Betrayal
Chapter 29 Unforgiven
Random Note 6 Jutsu
Chapter 30 Nemesis
Chapter 31 Recruited
Chapter 32 The choices we make
Chapter 33 Regrouping
Chapter 34 Forsaken
Random Note 7 Numbers
Chapter 35 When there's nothing left to say
Chapter 36 Sacrifice
Chapter 37 Forever
Chapter 38 Shinobi
Chapter 39 Soulmates
Chapter 40 Illusion
Chapter 41 Love over honor
Random Note 8 From the past
Chapter 42 Politics
Chapter 43 Confrontations
Random Note 9 Family 2
Chapter 44 Crossfire
Chapter 45 A world of Pain
Chapter 46 Complications
Chapter 47 Heart of an avenger
Chapter 48 The way of the ninja
Random Note 10 - Eye Jutsu
Chapter 49 Darkness of the heart
Chapter 50 No matter what
Chapter 51 The lost and the lonely
Chapter 52 War council
Random Note 11 Lovers
Chapter 53 Brothers in arms
Chapter 54 Keep your enemies closer
Chapter 55 Casualties
Chapter 56 Tell me something true
Chapter 57 Family Reunion
Chapter 58 Teammates
Chapter 59 Desertstorm
Random Note 12 Timeline
Chapter 60 The calm before the storm
Chapter 61 The Eye of the Moon
Chapter 63 The end of all things
Chapter 64 The point of no return
Chapter 65 No one can be strong all the time
Chapter 66 The voice of reason
Chapter 67 A price to pay
Chapter 68 My brother's keeper
Chapter 69 Prodigies
Random Note 13 Taryn's brats
Chapter 70 Something worth living for
Chapter 71 Legacy
Chapter 72 Motionless
Chapter 73 Never again
Chapter 74 Conspiracies
Chapter 75 We weren't born to follow
Chapter 76 Students and teachers
Chapter 77 Those left behind
Chapter 78 Hate and love and everything in between
Chapter 79 Guilt and blame
Chapter 80 Forgotten heroes
Chapter 81 We took the long way home
Epilogue
Extra: Priviliged
Extra: How to be a ninja - Daro
Extra: The edge of a knife
Extra: Black Wings - Kuro
Extra: No questions asked
Extra: Through hard work - Hiro
Extra: The might-have-been - Itachi
Extra: Marked
Extra: Inner workings of the criminal mind
Extra: Flock of birds - Kakashi
Extra: Moving on - Sasuke
Extra: Letters to home
Extra: Taryn Trivia

Chapter 62 Evernight

4.8K 119 29
By the_hooded_girl

Sai soared the sky on one of his painted birds. It was hard to see anything in this darkness, but he kept a careful eye on the shinobi below him, so he could warn them if any obstacle would get in their path.

The Inuzuki dogs fanned out in three different directions, so they could search a larger area. The chakra signature was quite clear and Sai remembered it from long ago when Danzou had still been his master and had sent him on a mission to find Orochimaru.

And even though Kabuto had changed his DNA with a few horrid experiments, the underlying nature of his chakra was still there and not even that hard to follow. It seemed Kabuto didn’t make any secrets about his whereabouts.

Sai’s eyes landed on Zoraya Nara, who was running a few feet below, and then shifted to the others. Anko, Kankuro, Haru Inuzuki. He hoped it would be enough to take down Kabuto.

“Sai, you see anything from up there?” Kankuro asked.

“Not yet, but he should be close. The signature is quite clear.” He steered his bird a little higher and spotted their target at the same times the dogs got his scent.

“There!” all of them called in unison.

The shinobi on the ground changed direction and increased their speed. Sai stayed a little behind. They had agreed he would follow later, when Kabuto was distracted, so he could attack from the sky.

We’re going in,” Anko informed him, “get ready Sai. And prepare for anything.”

***

The eerie eye above her head never faded, never blinked. This was what Madara’s Moon Eye Plan was going to be like? This controlled world of fake cheerfulness? Now that she knew she was in a genjutsu, the happiness was rather creepy and she could notice the flaws in this make-believe world.

There was a night sky, but the world was still light. She was aware of the lack of wind and temperature. It wasn’t cold. Nor hot. It was just nothing and after a closer investigation, every sound was rather hollow.

She had to escape from here. The only question was how she would pull it off. There had to be a way. Itachi wouldn’t have given her the blade if it meant she would get trapped too.

‘The Sakegari Blade…’ She lifted her hand and studied it. She had pierced Madara’s eye with it the moment he cast a genjutsu. Had the two attacks clashed somehow? That would mean they were still connected. Perhaps she had understood wrong. Maybe it had never been Itachi’s intention for her to seal Madara. When he himself had used the blade last time, he had used it to seal the part of Orochimaru that was still inside Sasuke, not Sasuke himself. It could be that he had only wanted her to seal away Madara’s Sharingan. If she would break the connection, would she return to the normal world? What about the tailed beasts? She was vaguely aware of their chakra flow, but couldn’t locate it. ‘One thing at the time,’ she thought and took a deep breath. Slowly she envisioned the Sakegari Blade to take form and let go if it. But before she cold, she was thrown to the ground and felt disturbance in her chakra.

Taryn gasped and opened her eyes. A cold wind hit her and she shivered. The sounds were overwhelming and for a moment she couldn’t focus.

She crawled to her knees.

Not far away, Madara was on his knees as well and he held a hand over his eye. Blood was seeping through his fingers and his breathing was heavy. “Damn you Taryn,” he growled, “when did you acquire that sword?”

Taryn scoffed and grinned. “Wouldn’t you like to know?” She suddenly noticed someone else beside her and glanced up at Sasuke. His hand was still outstretched. Had he pushed her and broken the jutsu?

He panted too and glared from her to Madara and back. It seemed not much time had passed.

“Is it true?” Sasuke said through his teeth. His eyes rested on Madara, “is it Itachi’s child?”

Madara chuckled amused, but didn’t answer.

“Yes,” Taryn breathed, “it is. Itachi’s blood. And yours too.”

Sasuke closed his eyes and clenched a fist. Taryn coughed. She was almost out of chakra and had cuts and bruises all over her body. She might have taken out Madara’s Sharingan, he still had seven tailed beasts at his disposal. And there was also Sasuke.

‘Itachi…’ she thought, ‘at least I tried…’ Black spots appeared in her vision.

“Sasuke!” a voice called behind her.

Taryn frowned confused. ‘Naruto?’ She must be hearing things. It was not possible that he was here.

Maybe she was still in a genjutsu. But she didn’t have the energy to try and break free from it.

When she heard Madara’s laughter she knew it wasn’t an illusion.

Sasuke scoffed. “What do you want now?” he asked, “I have no interest in going back to Konoha, Naruto.”

Naruto gritted his teeth. “Don’t be stupid! You have to stop this! Look at how many people have died!”

“Heh,” Sasuke said, “that’s exactly your problem. You think I care.” He snorted. “I’m out of here.” He made a few hand signs and vanished.

Sasuke!” Naruto shouted frustrated.

Madara chuckled and Naruto turned to him. “You!” he growled.

“Careful,” Taryn breathed. She was still on her knees. “He has…the tailed… beasts.”

“I knew something was wrong. So they were here all along,” Bee said.

Naruto stared at Taryn. There was something that wasn’t quite right. ‘It’s as if… two… heartbeats?’

Taryn gasped and leaned her head on the ground.

“Bee,” Naruto said while keeping his eyes on Madara, “take Taryn to the infirmary.”

“Naruto I won’t leave you alone. There’s no way you can fight him on your own.”

“Do you think I’ll let the Eight Tails leave this place?” Madara said amused, “I’ve waited too long for the two of you.” He let out a hysterical laughter and the sky cracked.

‘He’s insane,’ Naruto thought in shock.

“The lunatic is right,” the Nine Tails cut in, “you can’t beat Madara on your own. Especially now that he’s merged with the tailed beasts.”

“Taryn needs help,” Naruto growled, He glanced at her. She had almost lost consciousness.

“What do you care about her?” the Nine Tails spat, “every war has casualties. Taking down Madara has priority.”

“I will not abandon my friends,” Naruto said, “Bee, take Taryn to the medics. I’m counting on you. And then come straight back.”He grinned at Bee. “I’m gonna need your help.”

***

“What’s the status?” Tsunade informed, “any pinpoint on Naruto and Bee’s location?”

“Last time they were seen, they were headed East.”

“That’s where the energy of the tailed beast is coming from,” a shinobi from Cloud informed her.

“Are you sure?” Hiashi Hyuuga asked.

The ninja nodded.

“I knew we should have stopped them,” the Raikage growled, “now that Madara will have the last of the tailed beasts. And Bee! Bee is there!”

“We need to send a team right away,” Tsunade said in a serious voice.

“I will go,” Hiashi stated.

“So will I!”the Raikage said.

Three more shinobi volunteered.

“Take care,” Tsunade told them, “there’s no knowing what Madara can do with his new powers. And if Sasuke is there with him.”

“Leave it to me,” the Raikage growled, “I still have a score to settle with that brat.”

“Bee is still alive,” Tsunade reminded him, “Sasuke will be taken into custody and sentenced by the council. We need him alive.”

***

“We need to stay together,” Daro told his temporary comrades, “that way the enemy won’t get the chance to impersonate one of us.”

Tai nodded and took a firm grip on his weapon. He gave Kei a concerned look. “Will you be okay?”

Kei nodded. “I’ll help.”

Both Tai and Daro shook their head. “You need to rest. The last thing we need is for you to collapse on us.”

Kei narrowed her eyes. “I may be out of chakra, but I can still throw a dagger. I’ll cover you.”

Tai was about to protest, but Daro nodded. “Alright. Watch our backs.”

“But…” Tai protested.

“We need all the help we can get,” Daro said, “besides…” he continued in a hushed voice to Tai, “if you don’t let her help, she’s gonna get in trouble. Trust me. I know.”

Tai smirked. “you have a troublesome teammate too?”

“More like a troublesome sensei,” Daro muttered, earning a confused expression from Tai.

“What kind of sensei would do such a thing?”

“Taryn-sensei,” Daro sighed and for a moment his thoughts went out to the stubborn woman. He hoped someone would keep her safe in battle now that she didn’t have her team around to safeguard her life.

Tai’s eyes went wide. “Your sensei is the Desertstorm?!” He gasped in disbelieve.

“Uh… yeah…” Daro said, for the first time realizing just how much of a reputation his sensei had.

“No wonder you’re such a good fighter,” Tai said.

“Let’s focus on this fight now,” Daro told him, “on the count of three…”

***

She kept slipping in and out of consciousness with a vague aware of being carried.

“Stay awake little lady and be brave. We’re almost there, you’re almost safe.”

“Bee?”she mumbled.

“What were you doing there alone? Did you think you could take Madara on your own?”

Taryn groaned as her head lolled against his shoulder while he jumped from branch to branch.

“Do… you… always talk… in rhyme?” she muttered.

Bee grinned. “That’s the way for me. Do you have a rhyme to share with Bee?”

It took a moment before she could form any words. “Maybe… later.”

Bee lightly shook her shoulder. “… awake.”

“Hn,” she breathed, but gave no further reaction until Bee shook her again.

“Don’t worry about that Shokaku fella. He doesn’t hate you, he’s just jealous.”

A tired mile crept around Taryn’s lips.

That didn’t… really rhyme.” And why should Shokaku be jealous? It didn’t make any sense. “You… talk to…,” she struggled to stay awake, “tail…”

Bee nodded. “Eight Tails is the one that knows the truth, why the tanuki is in such a bad mood.”

“I just… Gaara… maybe if…” If things had been different, if she could have trusted Shokaku.

Taryn gasped. Trust. “Naruto,” she mumbled.

“He’ll be okay,” Bee told her, “once you’re safe, I’ll go back his way.”

“Can’t kill Sas…” Black spots appeared in her vision and her head was pounding. “….can’t… tell him… he has to…”

“Tell him what?” Bee asked when she didn’t finish her sentence. “Taryn?” He gently shook her.

“She’s unconscious,” the Eight Tails said, “we need to hurry or it will be too late.”

Bee nodded grim and sped up his pace. ‘Let’s hope it’s not too late already.’

***

“Don’t let him get away!” Anko yelled and started the pursuit.

Kankuro hurried after her and cast chakra strings in order to try and capture Kabuto.

Haru’s dogs were closing in from the other side.

Orochimaru’s former accomplice had faced them with confidence from the start, but ten minutes into the fight he seemed to have lost his bravura. The little creep was running for his life. He cast a mocking grin over his shoulder and made a few hand seals. The trees along the path bend towards each other and blocked his pursuers’ way.

“Damn!” Kankuro growled when he got a hold on the trees instead of Kabuto. He and Anko quickly moved around the trees, but their target was out of sight.

“Haru,” Kankuro said through his transmitter, “we lost him.”

“Got him,” Haru replied, “South of you.”

“We’re on it,” Kankuro said, “surround him.” He motioned to Anko. “This way.”

Sai followed them from above, keeping an eye on their surroundings. It didn’t take him long to locate Kabuto beneath the canopy. “Watch out!” he informed his comrades, “he’s leading you into a trap. It’s an ambush.” He clearly spotted three enemy shinobi about a mile ahead.

“Not if I can help it,” Zoraya growled, “Shadow Possession Technique!”

Kabuto froze mid stride and glared at Zoraya who came out of hiding, forcing Kabuto to take the same steps but in the opposite direction.

Zoraya gritted her teeth and hoped the others would arrive soon. She wasn’t as skilled at this as her cousin Shikamaru. She wouldn’t be able to trap him for long.

Kabuto chuckled. “You think that shadow bind of yours can hold me? You don’t know who you’re dealing with.” Zoraya gasped when he raised his hands. “How…”

Kabuto laughed at her shocked expression. “I told you, didn’t I? You can’t stop me.”

“But I can,” another voice called from above.

Kabuto’s head snapped up and his eyes went wide as Sai’s sword came down.

***

“There!” Hiashi Hyuuga called and he pointed ahead, “it’s Naruto’s chakra. And the other person…” He shivered at the sight of the dark chakra, “it must be Madara.”

“Bee,” the Raikage said, “do you see Bee anywhere?”

Hiashi shook his head. “No. just two people, but that chakra… it can only be of the tailed beasts.”

It didn’t’ take them long to reach the two fighters.

“Naruto!” the Raikage called, “Where is Bee? Is he not with you?!”

Naruto kept his eye on Madara when he answered. “He’s taking Taryn to the medics. She was badly injured.”

Madara let out a chuckle at that, earning a hateful glare from Naruto. “She brought it upon herself,” Madara mocked.

“I’ll make you pay!” Naruto growled.

“Naruto,” Hiashi said calmly, “this is not about revenge. We will take on Madara. You should focus on finding Sasuke.” 

Naruto gritted his teeth, but knew Hiashi was right. As much as he’d like to make Madara pay for the things he had done, especially to Sasuke, he couldn’t lose sight of what was most important. Nagato had spoke about that too. And he had made a promise, to bring back Sasuke.

Madara laughed darkly. “Fools,” he said, “I have the power of seven tailed beasts. Do you really think you can stop me? I’ll never let the Kyuubi lave this place. And I’ll never let you reach Sasuke.”

“We’ll se about that,” The Raikage growled. Lightning surrounded his entire body.

“Heh,

 Madara said, “I may not be able to use my Sharingan, but your puny attacks won’t harm me.”

Hiashi focused his chakra and stepped next to the Raikage. As did their other comrades.

“Go Naruto,” the Raikage said, “we’ll cover you. Find that Uchiha brat and bring him to justice.”

Naruto nodded. “I’m on it.”

Sasuke’s trail wasn’t hard to follow, though Naruto was a bit surprised when he saw where he was headed.

Sasuke stood on top of one of the statues and smirked at Naruto’s approach. “I knew you would come,” he said with drawn katana, “it’s an appropriate place to end this, don’t you think? It’s where we parted ways the first time and here we will end it once and for all. Here at Final Valley.”

“Don’t be stupid Sasuke,” Naruto growled, “just stop this. How many more people have to die?!”

Sasuke’s eyes turned cold. Just one,” he said.

Naruto stared at him in shock. “You’d actually kill me?”

“Heh,” Sasuke scoffed, “you’re so pathetic Naruto. Still going on and on about friendship and bonds and all that? When will you finally realize things like that don’t exist?”

Naruto shook his head. “A few weeks ago, I would have tried to pound it into that thick head of yours, but I know now you can’t make someone believe something just because you want them to.”

“Tsk. So it’s the moral speech now. Give it up already. You’re wasting your energy. If you’re not going to fight, surrender, I’ve got better things to do.”

Naruto grinned at his former friend. “I never said I wasn’t going to fight. If you won’t listen to y words, perhaps you’ll listen to my fists.” He made a few signs and let the chakra of the Kyuubi run freely.

Sasuke chuckled softly. “Foolish Naruto. But if you are so eager to die… bring it on.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

305 29 9
They say second chances are given to those who deserve no second chances are given to those who make opporunity themselves . I am namikaze tsubaki N...
394K 10.3K 64
Y/n Uchiha was the Youngest Sibling of Madara and Izuna. She was adopted by Madara after her parents died in the battle between the Senju and Uchi...
86.6K 2.5K 27
{Sakura Haruno Fanfiction} No longer is she a Konoha kunoichi, but now an S-rank rogue. Her sacrifice leading others to believe that she is nothing...
1.4K 77 13
A girl who has been branded with the mark of the criminal group 'the Akatsuki' appears at Konoha one day, broken and mentally damaged. What will it...