Nether

By DistantDreamer

Years ago, the Trolls were banished into the Nether, a void of evil and darkness between the magical realms... More

NETHER (Blurb)
1. Embers of Magic
2. Crossroads (Part One)
2. Crossroads {Part Two}
3. Orders
4. Bridges (Part One)
4. Bridges (Part Two)
5. Flames
6. Crimes of Another
7. Not So Safe A Place
8. A Brighter Light
9. Withdrawals
10. Hollow (Part Two)
11. A Faceless Enemy
12. Surrender to Hope
13. His Light
14. A Crown and a Prince
15. A King
16. Walk Away
17. A Kiss Goodbye
18. A Memory of Me
19. More Than Magic
19. More than Magic (v2)
More books by Monica Sanz

10. Hollow (Part One)

2.3K 293 31
By DistantDreamer

I struggle to stand. "Caleb, it isn't what it—"

He lifts a hand. A gust of air whooshes past me and slams against Roane in full force. It brushes him across the floor toward the kitchen. A dry smack makes me cringe as his body crashes into the wood panel under the breakfast bar and cracks it in half.

"Stop it, Caleb!" I scream.

He slams Roane against the wall again. Again. "You lied to me and you brought a troll here with you!"

There's no denying it now. With his shirt off and tattoos visible, there is no way to hide what Roane is, something I knew Caleb would know as well. Too weak to fight back, Roane groans and rolls onto his stomach. Knowing Caleb won't talk to me, I run before Roane and shield him with my body. "This isn't his fault! He isn't like them."

"Aramina, I swear to you, if you don't move..." he says through clenched teeth. He's never yelled at me before, never threatened me.

Still, I don't move. "Will you let me explain?"

"Explain how you betrayed our people, the treaty, and my trust by bringing a troll into Convent? How you used me to bring him in here? How you let him..." He presses balled fists to his mouth. "How you shared with him and let him mark you?"

I realize that with my hair up, Caleb can see my tattoo. They say be careful what you wish for. The look Caleb gives me brings to mind all those times I wished he'd get tired of my rejections. I had wanted him gone so I wouldn't hurt anymore. But his stare tells me he's finished with me, and the pain is staggering.

I walk to him. Wanting to touch him, to drag him into my arms, I clutch the towel tighter. "Listen to me, please. He's not like them. He saved my life."

His jaw tightens. "So all he has to do is save you from a kidnapping he probably planned, and he's your knight in shining armor." He chuckles bitterly. "I thought you were smarter than this. Thought you had a little more dignity than letting yourself get branded like an animal."

I flinch and slap him. Caleb raises a hand to his cheek, slowly, eyes of fire fixed on me.

I swallow, and as much as I want to step back, I hold my ground. "I am not an animal, and he didn't brand me."

He snatches my wrist into his hands in savageness unlike him. I struggle, but his grip tightens and he yanks me closer. "I'm going to make you suffer, force you into the one thing you want the least."

Drawing his dagger, he slices through my heartline. "I'm not losing you to him." He snatches it from my wrist and shoves me away.

Numb, I watch him cut through his own heartline. Jerking it from around his wrist, he tosses it in my feet.

"You're marrying me, whether you like it or not." He turns a glare to Roane. "I'll be back in an hour. If you're not gone, I'll kill you myself." Sliding his gaze back to me, he stuffs my heartstring into his inner pocket and his dagger into his scabbard. "You better be here when I get back."

A hot tear spills down my cheek. "Or what? You'll kill me too?"

He smirks, a dark smile I've never seen before. He's hurt, and like Roane said, darkness has polluted us and we've finally snapped. Caleb turns on his heels, walks out, and slams the door behind him.

I watch the closed door for a minute, the low click of the lock echoing like a reoccurring nightmare. The clock chimes and pulls me to present. We have an hour—less. It'll take time to make sure Roane makes it out safely. He's still weak and his health deteriorating by the minute. I'm not enough to keep him from withdrawals.

He struggles to stand. I rush to him and help him to his feet, ignoring how hot his skin has grown.

"Thankfully it's not daytime," he murmurs, wiping the blood from his lip. I sit him down on the sofa. Skimming his cuts, my heart sinks. They aren't healing as quickly.

"I need to get you out of here," I say, knowing how impossible that will be to do undetected.

"I can move faster on my own." He attempts to stand and manages to do so without tipping over. "I'll be fine. It just takes a little time for your magic to kick in."

He stumbles forward.

I reach for him, keeping him upright. "We need to get you help. Maybe if we get you back to the caves, I can call my Aunt Sabana, somehow..."

"If Caleb finds you missing, he'll come for both of us. I can get by alone. You gave me enough. Thank you." As if meaning to prove his point, he takes my arm from around his waist and paces away a few steps. "You're better off staying here. Keep researching. As long as you're by him, you're safe. He won't let anyone get you."

I would argue, but he isn't going to budge, and we have better things to do than fight.

Over the next few minutes, I gather things he can use for his journey. If I'm to stay behind, it's the least I can do. I make him coffee, the strongest Caleb has. He isn't too fond of it, but I hope caffeine will give him some added energy. I find a duffel bag in Caleb's closet and pack a few changes of clothes and towels. I stuff snacks in there as well, things I know deep down he dislikes, but something is better than nothing.

Finished, I meet him by the couch where he adjusts his cloak and mask. I look at the clock.

"He'll be back in half an hour. That's enough time for you to get out of here. Go back to the cave if you need to rest before heading to a bridge, just in case you need to fight..." My voice fails me.

Roane weaves his hands into my hair and brings me into his arms. Feeling him so close hurts my soul. For these moments, with me, he's safe, but what about when he's back out there?

He takes in a deep breath as if inhaling my scent and presses a kiss at my pulse. "I have to go."

Time is against us, but knowing I have to let him go, I clutch his shirt tighter. "This isn't over. I'll talk to him and he'll understand."

Nodding, he kisses my forehead but doesn't reply. Silence isn't the answer I hoped for, but we don't have time to try for another. I walk him to the bookshelf door and hand him the duffel bag. In an odd way, my eyes lock on the blackness beyond the doorway.

Roane squeezes my hand and walks into the black, and I can't do anything to stop him.

Thank you so much for reading! Please vote and comment if you enjoyed the chapter :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31.3K 6.1K 36
لە جیهانێڪدا هەمووان خاوەنی هێزن ڪاتێ لەدایڪ ئەبن بەڵام یۆرین ڪاتێ لەدایڪ ئەبێت خاوەنی هیچ هێزێڪ نییە کچێڪ ڪە لە تەمەنێڪی بچووڪەوە گێچەڵی ئەوەی پێ ئ...
26.9K 1.9K 14
Till yesterday she was marring her brother's friend but suddenly ended up marring his college owner and a cold hearted person
133K 6.5K 43
My name is Alex Cruz, I'm a omega, so I'm just a punching bag to my pack. But Emma, Queen of werewolves Sam, queen of dragons Winter, queen of vampi...
64.7K 5.6K 39
What if Arnav gets a chance to rectify all his mistakes? What if he gets a chance to avoid such situations? What if he gets to know Khushi is his wou...