The Demons of Rome

By Thilio

A small beggar boy, the most powerful mage in a millennium. A wise cracking baby owl of death. An academy fil... More

I - The Beggar Boy
II - The Court of Thieves
III - The Mage's Prison
IV - The Test of Power
V - The Baby Owl of Death
VI - The Mage's Academy
VII - Defenders of Rome
VIII - Elemental
IX - The Summonings
X - Dueling Dwarves
XI - Practice Weapons
XII - Lesser Jinni and Greater Cats
XIV - Imps a Plenty
XV - Challenger
XVI - Gladiator
XVII - Heroes and Hydra
XVIII - The Messenger
XIX - The Road Ahead
XX - The 11th Legion
XXI - Alesia
XXII - Thoughts on Loyalty
XXIII - My Bubble's Under Siege
XXIV - There's a Mara in my Bubble
XXV - The Kitten's Wrath
XXVI - The Escape Plan
XXVII - Happy Reunions
XXVIII - The Siege of Alesia
XXIX - Gods Help Us
XXX - The Simple Grave
I - Army of One
II - The Issue of the Goat
III - In Search of the Dark
IV - Iatus Incarnate
V - The Beggar Mage
VI - A Philosopher
VII - A Sea of Sand
VIII - Caravan of the Damned
IX - Solomon's Mines
X - The Source Stone
XI - Consequences
XII - Ashes
XIII - A Song for the Lost
XIV - Alexandria
XV - A Child of Fire
XVI - The Spell of Endings
XVII - Discussions in a Ditch
XVIII - Latin Shores
XIX - Class Reunion
XX - Soulbound
XXI - A Prolonged Farewell

XIII - How to Make Friends and Assassinate People

1.3K 97 11
By Thilio

The weeks wore on and Iatus found he was getting used to the routines of the academy. He was progressing well in his demonology classes, the extra time he spent in the library during the practical lessons meant he had the time to read all of the section marked 'General Demonology', he had even started to look into the sections on shedu.

Iatus also took to wandering about the academy grounds. There was a wood that surrounded three sides of the wall that students were allowed to wander in. No-one had attacked the academy in years so the forest had been allowed to grow right up to the foot of the wall. It was quiet and peaceful and Aelith could roam the skies and stretch out his wings a little.

The Legate's lessons were getting tougher and tougher. Every few lessons he would pair up the class to 'Evaluate their progress in actual combat', which meant that Capitus got his chance to whack Iatus about a bit. The beatings got worse as Capitus got more frustrated that he hadn't managed to summon a jinni yet. Nerres informed him that Capitus had the strength of mana to hold a demon that size so he must just be too stupid to remember the complex summons. It gladdened Iatus that the obnoxious brat was struggling but he wished he would hurry it up, if only to stop the beatings.

One lesson the legate pulled him up off the ground after a hefty slam of Capitus' shield.

"Claudius and Scipio tell me you are quite the summoner, is that right?" the Legate had bellowed in his face.

Iatus had no idea how he was supposed to respond, "Umm, I don't know sir."

"Well, I guess they must be lying to me then, because, from what I can gather, you are a pretentious little no-it-all."

The exchange was attracting some attention now.

"For your sake I hope they are right, because you wouldn't last a second in any other branch of the army," the Legate snarled. "Now get back up and try and do something competent for once in your pathetic little life!"

The Legate threw him back down to the floor and stormed away. The rest of the year stood in shock, apart from Capitus, who sniggered into his hand.

Iatus got back to his feet, completely embarrassed.

"Well, GET ON WITH IT then!" the Legate shouted and they scampered to obey.

That evening Iatus trudged back into his rooms, completely defeated. He was such a sorry sight that not even Aelith had the heart to crow.

"You know what, I think the Legate doesn't like you." Aelith mused.

"Wow, now I know why they call you Aelith the wise."

"I think he is simply reassigning some of his childhood anger onto you. Do you think that he was the Capitus of his year? All brawn and no brain."

"I neither know nor care, I just wish Capitus wouldn't beat me so badly."

"We could enchant your armour..." Aelith suggested.

"How do you think the Legate would take that when he found out?" Iatus said bitterly.

Aelith just shrugged, "It would be better if he just beat you in private instead of the regular public humiliations you are getting."

"Oh, thanks for that support," Iatus spat.

"No problem. I'm here to help," Aelith said, completely genuine.

The lesson he enjoyed most was those with Scipio. They had started to learn about classes of spirits beyond the ordinary. His lessons thrilled Iatus and Amber didn't seem so frosty when she was giving an answer and getting praise off the Prefect.

"So, just a recap now, who can give me the complete list of all nine affiliations?" Scipio asked the class. "Iatus."

"Sir, Earth, Air, Fire, Water, Nature, Light, Dark, Metallic and Ethereal." Iatus said confidently.

"Very good. Now, which one of the affiliations is the rarest?"

Two hands went up.

"Amber?"

"Ethereal sir." she replied.

"Good, now, what is an ethereal spirit? Iatus?" Scipio smiled and a small groan escaped from the rest of the class, drawing a frown from the Prefect.

"An ethereal spirit is an affiliation only found in the forgotten ones. Because Ether is the source of all other magic Ethereal spirits can command magics of any other element. Any summoner controlling one would have the power to conquer the world, if they managed to keep it on earth long enough."

"Very well done Iatus. Now today we are going to learn about nature spirits." Scipio said and went up to the chalk board. "Nature spirits are both extremely powerful and near useless at the same time. Nature spirits are usually confined to only one form and it is usually a plant like form. They are great for defending positions however and can be extremely effective, the trees lining the roads into Rome are in fact nature spirits. If invaders were to try and gain access the trees would come alive and ensnare them."

The rest of the class perked up and started listening at that.

"What makes nature spirits special, apart from their lack of different forms, is that the majority are telepathic, communicating only through thoughts. Now as you might guess, they don't have many interesting ones, but their ability to sense intentions is what makes them excellent guards. Now, your assignment for this week is to research the tree guards of Rome. I expect at least three feet of parchment, from everyone."

The class groaned and packed up their things and headed out. They headed out of the small classroom and scattered, each going their own ways. When Iatus reached the corridor that led to his room he found Amber waiting for him.

"Oh, hi Amber, what are you doing here?" Iatus asked, surprised.

"Why did you help me?" she asked, stony faced.

"What?" Iatus replied, stumbling over the word in surprise.

"You pointed out the perfect spirit to suit me. Why did you help me?"

"Oh, that, well... I just saw it and it reminded me of you so I pointed it out, I didn't help you that much."

Amber frowned, "Look around you Iatus. This is the academy that trains the next rulers of the known world. Every single person here would sell their own mother for a little more power. Look at Capitus, his father is the current consul, and he will probably follow. Your friend Max, his father is Governor of his own province on the Northern border and if he plays his cards right he's got a real shot at the next consulship. The rest of them are the children of senators of some sort or another, or at the very least sons of famous officers looking to break into the nobility proper. These are people who live solely for power, they don't help each other, if it weren't against the rules every one of them would be trying to get rid of everyone else. But don't worry as soon as they are out of here they will be at each other's throats, there have even been assassinations in the graduation ceremony! Every time you do something stupid in here, it paints a target on your back out there. So why did you help me?"

She put her hands on her hips and leaned forward, closer that Iatus felt comfortable with.

"Well, umm, I, just, umm. I have no-idea, I just thought it was a nice thing to do." Iatus said nervously, biting his lip as he finished.

The frown lines grew deeper in Amber's forehead then she snorted a laugh, "You really are just clueless aren't you? Oh well, I suppose a commoner like you wouldn't get very far anyway."

With that she walked off down the corridor and out of sight.

"Told you so," Aelith quipped.

Iatus sighed and went into his rooms.

Ava came bustling in just as Iatus sat down and handed him a letter. It was from Claudius.

Dear Iatus,

Everyone in the class has now summoned an imp or greater, as such I think it will be a good opportunity to test your mana level. You are to prepare a list of about 50 lesser imps and attend next lesson, where you will attempt to summon as many as possible.

Tribune Claudius

Iatus folded up the letter and headed to the library.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

324 82 17
The Versati were worshipped as Gods. Noone dared to challenge their rule exept for one race, the Ismarels. Unable to control them, the Gods cursed th...
19 0 1
Enter a fantasy world where two opposing gods remain trapped in another dimension, they exist outside the normal timelines of mortal men and are forc...
6.8K 242 32
Tommy, after leaving work is given a book and witnesses a fight between a villain named Mage and two heroes named Anaglyph and Warden. 2 years later...
290 89 42
The Continent of Ilgram is bustling with magic and monsters which serve as the unit of life in the world. Magic is inherent to every living individua...