The TimberWolf Effect (Book I)

By Jacklyn_Reynolds

Nine-year-old orphan Timber Brogan was headed to an unknown future with her father's sister and her family... More

PROLOGUE
CHAPTER ONE - Southern Comfort
CHAPTER TWO - Heritage and Pride
CHAPTER THREE - The Longest Night
CHAPTER FOUR - Human
CHAPTER FIVE - The Night of Two Wolves
CHAPTER SIX - The Wolf Part of Her Heart
CHAPTER SEVEN - Where Sand Meets Sea
CHAPTER EIGHT - Forest Runaway
CHAPTER NINE - Christmas Socks
CHAPTER TEN - The Start of Friendship
CHAPTER ELEVEN - Shattered Winter Glass
CHAPTER TWELVE - When The Earth Shakes
CHAPTER THIRTEEN - Blood Drenched Fur
CHAPTER FOURTEEN - The Beginnings of Rivalry
CHAPTER FIFTEEN - Monster From The Grave
CHAPTER SIXTEEN - Attack of The Blood Twins
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN - The Last Mother She Had Left
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN - Descendant of Thatcher
CHAPTER NINETEEN - The Fort at Northwest Cape
CHAPTER TWENTY - Lieutenant Colonel Frank Williams
CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE - Sinister Plotting
CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO - Childhood Memories
CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE - Thirty-one Thousand Feet
CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR - The Happiest Place on Earth
CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE - Kicking Up Dust
CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX - The Beginning of The End
CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN - Aconite Injection
CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT - Return to Haven
CHAPTER THIRTY - The Boy With Hazel Eyes
CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE - Fairy Wings
EPILOGUE
Mortem Donatoris

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE - Battle in The In-Between

44 6 1
By Jacklyn_Reynolds

Timber could not remember how she ended up standing in a warm white mist. She stood in the same spot for a few minutes looking around in confusion, trying to make herself remember. Eventually, she gave up and began walking forward. She was surprised to feel fresh grass under her paws. Her ears heard nothing and she could smell only the grass beneath her. She looked around for anything that seemed familiar but she found nothing. She wandered in every direction looking for a road, flowing water, or anything to tell her where she was but there was nothing. There was not even a breeze to ruffle her fur. Timber sat down and tried hard to figure out how she got to this place. After several minutes, fuzzy images came into her mind. She strained her thoughts and focused on the images. The last thing she remembered was seeing Emily run down the stairs at home.

Home! Timber had to hurry and try to get back. They would be worried about her. She turned around and started running as fast as she could back the way she came. Finding nothing and believing she somehow went the wrong way she spun around and ran to the right. Still thinking she was lost she ran back again. She ran for what felt like forever before she realized she was trapped. She could not get home, nor could she Turn. She lay down and growled in between sobs of frustration and heartache. She thought about what Emily would be doing. She was probably in a panic and crying loudly. Aunt Grace and Uncle Chad would worry too and be out searching for her. All she wanted to do was go home but she had no idea where to go or how to get away from the mist.

"Timber," said a soft voice from behind her.

Timber's ears perked up. She sat up and looked around, not believing her ears until her eyes saw her mother walking toward her. Timber got to her feet and stared in disbelief. She wanted to believe her eyes but her logic told her that her mother was dead. She blinked and shook her head but she still saw her mother standing in front of her.

"It's alright, Timber," said the shimmering semi-transparent form of Elizabeth Brogan. "I'm real. Oh, Timber. How did you end up here?"

Timber ran to her mother and jumped eagerly into her waiting arms. She savored the feeling of her mother's loving embrace. She rested her head on her chest and listened to the sound of an echoed heartbeat. Elizabeth ran a hand down Timber's back gently and Timber's throat produced a sound halfway between a purr and a sob.

"My, how you've grown," Elizabeth said. "You've been doing your exercises too," she added, feeling Timber's hard muscles at her shoulders. "Good job, Baby Girl. Can you Turn for me? I want to hear your voice."

She set Timber on the grass and Timber strained as hard as she could but after a few difficult minutes and some encouragement from Elizabeth, she managed to take her human form. Timber stood in silence for several seconds while her mother's eyes filled with tears as she looked at her daughter.

"I've missed you so much, Mom!" said Timber, wrapping her arms around her neck. "Why did you have to leave me?"

"Oh Sweety, I'm so sorry," said Elizabeth. She pulled away and held Timber's shoulders. "I don't know what happened but I never really left you. Do you love me?"

"Of course I do!" said Timber.

"Then I live in your heart," said Elizabeth, and Timber smiled. "So what are you doing here?"

"I don't know where 'here' is," said Timber. "But I can't find my way out. I'm lost."

"There is no direct way out. This is the In Between," said Elizabeth. "It's also called Purgatory. This is the waiting room before Heaven or Hell."

"I'm dead?" asked Timber. Her face fell and her heart skipped a beat. She began to sweat slightly and her stomach rolled over, making her feel as though she needed to vomit. Her arms went slightly numb, and her body temperature rose higher.

"You could be dead or very close to it," said Elizabeth sadly. "You weren't supposed to be here. What happened, Baby? Who did this to you?"

"I don't know," replied Timber. While she thought she was taking her death better than she would have, she suspected it was because she was just happy to see her mother. She closed her eyes and tried to recall memories. The images flooded her mind. "I was fighting with a man who broke into Aunt Grace's house while I was home with Emily. She and Uncle Chad went out for a little bit to celebrate their anniversary. I hid Emily. I followed him and when he went to open the closet door where Emily was, I attacked him. We fought, he threw me downstairs, and then he stuck me with a needle. That's the last thing I remember clearly before everything got fuzzy."

"Oh my baby," wept Elizabeth. "What are you going to do?"

"I don't know," replied Timber. "I want to stay with you, but I have people who need me. Emily needs me. She's only six. I can't leave her. I don't know what to do. I can't get back, can I?"

"If you're not dead yet, yes," said Elizabeth. "I'm not sure how exactly, but I've heard stories of people returning. Don't worry, Timber. I'll help you find a way back."

"I am afraid she will not be going anywhere," said an old-fashioned man coming towards them. "She is coming with me."

"She is not going anywhere with you, Mortem," said Elizabeth fiercely. Timber Turned out of fear of this stranger and Elizabeth held her protectively in her arms.

"You don't have a choice, my dear woman," said Mortem. "Your little abomination has already been sold to me."

"By whom?" demanded Elizabeth.

"There is no need to worry about the details," smiled Mortem with a casual wave of his hand. "Just hand her over and I shall leave quietly."

"Then you will not be leaving quietly," said Elizabeth.

"I thought you would say that," said Mortem.

"Timber, run."

Timber did not need telling twice. She ran fast as her mother transformed into a massive grey wolf with a line of black down her back. Timber stopped and stared at her mother. There was no moon. How did she transform willingly? Timber no sooner thought this when Mortem transformed too. Bat-like wings appeared and his eyes turned solid black. Fire erupted from his fingers and he wrapped his hands around Elizabeth's neck and she was forced down.

Timber could not take any more. She raged forward and sank her teeth and claws into his shoulder. He yelled as the bones cracked under the power of her jaw and he was forced to let go of Elizabeth. Elizabeth stumbled backward and regained control of her breath while Timber began ripping at his skin as she shook her head back and forth. She felt his shoulder dislocate just before she was grabbed and thrown. Timber adjusted herself in midair and she landed hard on all four feet just as Elizabeth rushed him again.

Timber's mother was in a full rage and it was enough to force Mortem back. Timber joined the fight and used her mother's back as a springboard and jumped onto Mortem's head. She flipped her body around and leaped down, biting into his left wing with her teeth and shredding the delicate tissues with her sharp claws. She felt heat in her mouth and let go just before he set his wings on fire. He flapped them and Timber ducked but the fire grazed the tips of her fur, and the smell of singed fur filled her nose. Timber ran and hid under her mother, who was tense and ready to move quickly. Mortem advanced again and attempted to get to Timber but Elizabeth clawed his neck, ripping open his jugular vein.

Mortem held his wound and moved backward a few paces. Elizabeth bristled her fur and growled. Mortem seemed to realize she would not be easy to defeat so he retreated into the mist. Timber watched him back away until she could no longer see him. Elizabeth remained still for another minute before she relaxed and took on her human form again. Timber copied and sat on the grass in front of her mother.

"Who was that?" she asked.

"Mortem Donatoris," replied Elizabeth with a sigh. "A very twisted but powerful demon. He is less powerful in the In Between. That's the only reason I stood a chance."

"Have you ever faced him before?" asked Timber.

"No, but most of the people who live in Haven have heard about him. It's well known he's been trying to build an army to overthrow the Highers and take over. I don't know why he's interested in you or who offered you to him."

"Should I be scared?"

"No. If I can find a way to get you back to Earth and back to your aunt and uncle, you should be safe. Mortem doesn't leave Hell often that I know of. He likes the lack of resistance he has there. He likes power but he doesn't generally like to work for it."

"So because we resist, he won't try very hard?"

"I am only assuming, I don't actually know him. I only know him by reputation."

"How were you able to Turn like me?"

"I died in my wolf form. When I came here, I was purified. But because I was a werewolf, wolf DNA was fused with my original DNA and was not removed during purification. My DNA became more like yours. All of my venom was removed too."

"So you can Turn whenever you want?" asked Timber.

"Yes, I can," replied Elizabeth. "It took me a while to figure out how, but I managed. Now, let's find a way to get you back."

"Thank you, Mom."

Timber and Elizabeth got up and headed in what Timber could only assume was a Northerly direction. Elizabeth held Timber's hand as they walked. Timber told her mom all about Emily, Grace, Chad, and her friends. She told her all about her school and what life was like in Fort Bragg. Elizabeth listened with a patient ear and smiled with a hint of sadness in her blue eyes.

"Are you happy?" asked Elizabeth.

"Yeah," said Timber. "I am. I wish you and Dad could be in Fort Bragg with me. Then it would be perfect. I brought your picture to Disneyland for your birthday. I was hoping you could see everything. I know it sounds silly."

"I'm sorry I can't be there physically but I will always be watching over you. I did go to Disneyland with you in a way. I can watch you from up here. I am glad you had fun. I'm very proud of you."

They fell silent for a couple of minutes. Then Elizabeth slowed down and Timber looked ahead. They were approaching a massive gate made of gold and pearls. Timber felt her jaw drop. She watched as the gates opened and a tall medium dark man with blinding white wings came into view. The gates closed behind him and Timber felt an unusual peace fill her as he came closer.

"Hello, Elizabeth," he said.

"Hello, Gabriel," said Elizabeth.

"This must be Timber," said Gabriel. "I was not aware you were coming."

"Is that good or bad?" Timber asked Elizabeth.

"That depends on whether you want to stay or not," said Gabriel. "Your name is not in my book. That means you are not dead yet. How long have you been here?"

"At least an hour I think," replied Timber.

"May I examine you?" asked Gabriel. Timber nodded and Gabriel put his hand directly over her heart. She suddenly felt weak and collapsed to the ground. He removed his hand, Timber's strength returned and she got to her feet. "You are dying. Queen Aiyanna is trying to revive you but your body is giving out. You do not have much longer before you die. You need to make the choice to stay with your mother or go back."

Timber looked at her mother apologetically and Elizabeth nodded.

"I'm going to go back."

"Very well. Follow me. I will show you the way."

"Gabriel, Mortem was there earlier," warned Elizabeth. "He tried to take Timber. He said someone sold her to him but I don't know who."

"I will protect her," said Gabriel.

"Thank you." Elizabeth looked at Timber with watering eyes. "Goodbye Timber. I love you so much."

"I love you, too, Mom."

Timber hugged her mother goodbye and waved sadly as Elizabeth walked into the gates and disappeared from view. Timber took a breath and followed Gabriel. She noticed a path forming ahead of them and she was careful to stay on the golden bricks. They walked for what felt like ten minutes at a steady pace. She didn't say a word until Gabriel suddenly stopped and she ran into him.

"What?"

Timber looked around him to see Mortem blocking the path in front of a dozen men with sickly grey skin, twisted black horns, and black eyes. They were all armed with long knives that were curved instead of straight. She Turned and stood at Gabriel's feet so she could react as he did.

"Give me the child," demanded Mortem. Timber noticed that the wound her mother gave him had healed without a scar.

"No, Mortem," said Gabriel. "She is not yours to take. Let us pass."

The look on Mortem's face made Timber's blood run cold.

"Take her."

The men behind Mortem rushed forward. Gabriel drew a golden-hilted sword and spread his four wings wide. He moved forward with Timber running between his feet. Gabriel was fearless as he fought against the demons. Timber stayed as close to his feet as she could. She knew she stood no chance against these monsters. There were too many of them. Taking shelter was her best hope. Gabriel was fighting skillfully and keeping the demons at bay as best he could but even with all of his skill, he was still hopelessly outnumbered.

Someone grabbed Timber from behind and pulled her away from Gabriel. She barked as loud as she could and he saw her. He tried to get to her but he was blocked. The demon ran with her towards Mortem and Timber lost all sense of her human self. She attacked the arm of her captor and ripped off a chunk of meat. It tasted awful and she spat it out in his face. He dropped her and she landed on her side. She got up and tried to get back on the pathway to follow it home but again, Mortem blocked her. Timber was now furious and she looked for a weak point. She noticed him putting most of his weight on his right leg.

Timber sped up and ran right to him with her teeth clearly visible. Mortem attempted to grab her but she dodged and sunk her teeth into his knee and fractured it. Mortem collapsed and Timber almost got away. He grabbed her by the tail and Timber spun around to bite him again but Mortem was ready this time. He grabbed her by the throat and cut off her air. She was getting dizzy and weak. She scratched and he let go but only for a moment. Timber wasn't prepared when she was picked up and thrown. She fell down a gap in the ground.

It was hot and windy as she tumbled down. Timber dug her claws into the rock to slow her descent. She landed on a ledge and caught her breath and sat. She looked up. She could try to climb up but would need to rest for a couple of minutes before trying because it was a fifty-foot wall of rock. She looked down and her fur stood up. There was a river below her full of people. They were clamoring to get to something Timber could not see. She did not want to go down there but she found out she had no choice.

The small ledge she was resting on broke and she tumbled down with the rocks and landed in the scorching river. It burned her skin and she howled. It was at that minute that she realized her heart stopped beating. This was it. She was stuck. She gave up for a moment and let the crowd carry her toward a giant wrought-iron gate. Timber did not fight as she was pushed and shoved by those in the river with her. She did not even react when her head was pushed under the surface. As they approached the gate, Timber was able to read the brass words above. ABANDON ALL HOPE YE WHO ENTER HERE. Timber studied it for a moment and then realized she wasn't ready to give up. She had to find a way out.

Her body was suddenly surrounded by silver and light blue light and her heart began beating again. She could feel nothing but strong, pure love and it gave her courage. Finding new strength and determination, she viciously fought her way to shore and began to climb. She got a quarter of the way up when she heard an explosion above her. She closed her eyes as debris fell around her. When she opened her eyes and looked up, a rope was being tossed down. She saw a familiar face waiting for her. It was Lieutenant Colonel Frank Williams. She grabbed the rope with her teeth and let him pull her up. She helped him by running up the cliff. Frank grabbed her as soon as he could and pulled her up over the edge and put her feet on the ground. She took a deep breath of relief.

"I heard my friend Timber was here," said Frank. "You're a shapeshifter, huh?"

Timber nodded.

"I'm glad now that one of my expertise was detonating bombs when I wasn't in a plane in the war. Scared the grey beasts who were fighting Gabriel. Come on. You're not supposed to be here yet. Let's get you home."

Frank shielded her and shot at everything that ran after them. Several smaller beasts made it past Frank but Timber took them down. She was determined to get back to her family. She began to feel a powerful force around her that felt like love, joy, and hope.

She ran with Frank along the path until they got out of the mist. They stood at the edge of a clear pond. "Look into the water. You'll see the path you need to take. Once it's clear, walk into the pond. You won't drown. It'll take you back to your body."

Timber bowed her head in thanks and he bowed his head back. He spun around and continued to fire his rifle to make sure Timber was not hindered in her mission. Timber looked at her reflection and saw her body on a table. Queen Aiyanna was trying to heal her. Her family, Lord Frost, and two others were around her. Timber saw a faint white path slowly appear in front of her and she took a step into the pond. She looked back at Frank and wagged her tail before running as fast as she could into the water. Her head went under but she had no need to hold her breath. She continued to run along the looping path. Her body got closer and the path cut off. She jumped away and onto her motionless body.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

62 8 8
A human woman is thrown into a world taken over by deadly creatures, her sole focus: reunite with her darling sister, who has been taken away by the...
51.1K 2.3K 50
❝Destiny brought dark and light together, fate brought them love❞ Abused and broken Katia has been through hell and made it back alive. A true warrio...
567K 4K 47
Aimee's life takes a frightening turn when she starts seeing ghosts. Born as a powerful vampire-faerie hybrid and switched at birth with a human chil...
213 79 35
It's hard to deal with our demons when we've haboured them long enough for them to be part of us. Cassandra, knows better than to let her demons go...