I am loyalty (Thorin / OC )

By Anna_Donovan

I am loyalty. I am fire made flesh. I am yours. Pain.Fear.Sadness.Guilt. This is all she feels. After decade... More

Disclaimer
Prologue
Chapter 1 : 40 years later
Chapter 2 : first impressions
Chapter 4 : 'well said'
Chapter 5 : pesky
Chapter 6 : oh boy
Chapter 7 : damn , bloody bears
Chapter 8 : orcs!
Chapter 9 : like lambs to the slaughter
Chapter 10 : sticks and stones
Chapter 11 : dreamless slumber
Chapter 12 : strange
Chapter 13 : trolls...bloody ruddy trolls
Chapter 14 : ARGH!
Chapter 15 : whimps!
Chapter 16 : Thieves! Fire! Murder!
Chapter 17 : the dead walk again...
Chapter 18 : thank you , my friend
Chapter 19 : Bain
Chapter 20 : Thunder , lighting are o' so frighting
Chapater 21 : abomination
Chapter 22 : They're coming!
Chapter 23 : No
Chapter 24 : Shift
Chapter 25 : Fire made flesh
Chapter 26 : winged individual
Chapter 27 : Journey Ahead
Chapter 28 : Renewed Strength
Chapter 29 : Hush child
Chapter 30 : My Grandfather
Chapter 31 : He called your name...
Chapter 32 : Now we can go!
My cats tried to eat me!
Chapter 33 : spiders, spiders and look more spiders
Chapter 34: a bit over the top
Chapter 35: fish in a barrel
Chapter 36 : soon
Chapter 37 : of the moon
Chapter 38 : I am yours
Important!
Important no.2

Chapter 3 : inquisitive

8.9K 289 15
By Anna_Donovan

Adrianna POV

Bilbo had come to after a while and was now sitting in his armchair by the fire, mug in hand.

"I'll be alright. Just let me sit quietly for a moment" bilbo groaned, taking in a shaky breath.

'God this quest would crush this little guy if he decides to join us' I though, shaking my head wearily.

But still, I had faith in Gandalf and if -no, when bilbo joined us, I'd be there to guard him . Just as Gandalf asked.
Gandalf motioned for me to leave. I caught on to what he was asking, he wished to talk to the hobbit alone. I nodded silently and left from my place in the door way.
I walked down the hall and to the circular front door. I needed some air, and I longed to see the stars. I walked out into the glistening night, then took the steps up onto bilbos roof, that was really just a hill. I sat down on the grass and took down my hood, sighing, as I took in the tranquil beauty of this place. In the surrounding hills the hobbit holes, dotted around, glowed a golden orange, casting a warm glow over the hills. The wind rustled the trees, creating a gentle whispering sound that added to the allure of Hobbiton. In the tall grass, not far away, crickets chirped adding to the melody of sounds. Close by in a tree, an owl hooted, keeping in rhythm with the rest of the harmony. I sighed in content and lay back on the hill, closing my eyes and listening to the sweet music and enjoying the atmosphere. That is, until my heighten hearing caught the end of Gandalf's and bilbos convocation, my slightly pointed ears twitching towards the noise.

"Can you promise I will come back?" Bilbo asked, in a tone close to dread, for he knew the answer.

"No, I myself cannot. And if you do , you'll not be the same" Gandalf said solemnly, with underlying meaning. I heard bilbo sigh.

"That's what I thought . Sorry Gandalf, I can't sign this. You've got the wrong hobbit" bilbo said sadly. I stopped listening after that and waited as I heard the front door open and close then the padding of feet traveling up steps.

"Hello, Bilbo Baggins " I murmured, still with my eyes closed, still lying down on the hill side.

"My gods!-" I heard bilbo yelp as I scared him, making me smirk and with hold laughter.

"Wait how did you know it was me?" He suddenly asked, seeing my resting state as I enjoyed the lullaby created by the world around me.
Instead of answering him I opened my silver eyes and turned my head towards him. He gasped as he saw my vibrant silver eyes. Thankfully, it was too dark for him to see my marking . I sat up and once again lifted my hood, shielding my marks from bilbo's keen eyes.

"It's a beautiful night tonight, the very essence of the land is singing-" I murmured, brushing my fingers across the grass "- do sit with me bilbo, I wish to talk"

To my surprise , he did as I asked , slowly walking towards me. We stayed in silence for a while , listening to the harmony around us. I was truthfully allowing him to be calm before I spoke , not wanting to ruin the night.

"Do you have any idea why I am here bilbo?" I asked , with my eyes once again closed as I listened to the wind as it carried the sweet song to my ears.
I could practically feel bilbos confusion , as he shifted his seat to look at me.

"Er...to protect the company and ...Uh hunt for them?" He replied , though it sounded more like a question. I chuckled at his nervousness , I could tell he was a knowledgeable philosopher , who was quick thinking and didn't like to be unsure of things. He wanted to be in control of everything at all times. No not bossy , just...cautious , like me in the end he followed his gut.

"Ah yes that's what Gandalf said , wasn't it. Yes , that's one side of my reasons for beings here. However no. The reason the old fool demanded me to be here was because of you, dear bilbo" I said finally opening my eyes to take in his confused features.

"M-me ? Why, what have I got to do with it?" He asked , bewildered and agitated . A frown reaching his brow. I chuckled again, he was a funny fellow this dear hobbit , I could see myself becoming his friend.

"Hmm. I'll let you think on that my friend , for now I wish to talk of what Gandalf said to you.-" I paused taking in a breath but really just allowing time for bilbo to interrupt , which he did not.

"- do you recall when he said :'-I myself cannot. And if you do , you'll not be the same'? What did you think he was implying?" I asked , allowing him time to think and answer.
I watched as his face turned from confusion to damn right perplexed.
But he still made an effort to answer me.

"Er...that there was a considerable chance I could die on this quest. And evan if I did survive , I'd be a different hobbit. That the journey would change me in ways i can't imagine." He said gloomily , making me scoff and earning a questioning glance from the young hobbit.

"Not very positive are we? Indeed you are correct in a way. But I think what our friend meant was that he himself could not promise you safety, for he is not fate. And the second part , well I think he meant that : yes you will change ,as will we all , but that change might be for the best dear bilbo." I said , then lay back down , allowing the hobbit to think on my words and also to signify the end of our talk.
Bilbo, being a intelligent man ,got the message and stood up. But before he left , he paused.

"You didn't answer my first question Adrianna. How did you know it was me?" He asked , putting effaces on the 'did'.
I sighed and looked at him standing a few feet from me.

" I knew because this is your home , and it would be a crime to waste a view like this. A view that could calm the nerves of any distressed hobbit...common sense. Common sense is how I knew. Funny name really common sense seen as it's not so common." I said smirking at him , a gesture which he returned ,before turning a walking back down the steps to his home.

"Hmm. Your quite inquisitive for a hobbit , Mister bilbo Baggins. That's how I know you shall be accompanying us on our expedition." I mumbled to myself as he closed the door behind him. Once again allowing me to listen to the sounds around me and enjoy the warm summer breeze while it lasted.
But I soon followed the young hobbit inside , I would listen to nature another night.

~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~

The dwarfs where begging to gather in bilbos living room as bilbo himself retreated to his bedroom, though I knew he was listening. I slowly followed Gandalf in , standing in the shadows of a corner. I watched as everyone seemed to zone out , thinking of times long past. I could see the sadness In their eyes , I could almost feel their pain. They had lost so much , and I wanted to help attempt to retrieve their home , it was the least I could do. The empathy I felt for these dwarfs made me determined to see the quest to the end.
Suddenly the dwarfs began to hum , their powerful voices filling the air around me and luring me into my memories as I stared at the flames crackling in the hearth.
Then Thorin started to sing:

"Far over the misty mountains cold."

I heard the echoing screams of my people dying.

"In dungeons deep and caverns old"

Faces were burning in the flames of recollection in my dull , liquid silver eyes

"We must away , ere brake of day"

I replayed my brothers bloody corpse falling toward the red soil.

"To find our long forgotten gold" I heard the other dwarfs join in with the sad ,respectful song to remember the fallen.

"The pines were roaring , on the height "

I saw my mother screaming for Bain, but Bain was gone.

"The winds were moaning in the night"

Then I watched as she was dragged for before Azog , and forced to kneel.

"The fire was red , it flaming spread"

I watched as the pale Orc slowly pulled his blade across my mothers throat , then threw her aside like waste.

"The tree light torches blazed with light"

The dwarfs ended there sad song , but I was still living in my memories , trapped in my own mind as my empty eyes watched the flames crackling.
Thankfully Gandalf saw my vacant expression and came to my aid , taking a hold of both my shoulder and shaking harshly , softly calling my name.
Slowly I resurface from my terror filled memories and blinked at Gandalf , not seeing the confused look I got from a dwarf called ori.

"Are you alright Adrianna?" Gandalf asked concern laced In his voice.

For a moment I withdrew , pulling forth one word. One name.

"Dalriel...Dalriel" (Dal-ri-el)I mumbled to myself , then snapped out of it , my pupils focusing and bringing my attention to Gandalf.
I gave him a weak smile.

"Sorry...yes I'm fine , just...you know , memories" I whispered, stifling a yawn.

"Hmm.-" He murmured , letting go of me "-pesky little things, don't come when called either. No , they just jump upon you as they please!". He said , a small smile gracing his lips.

"Sleep now child , for tomorrow our journey begins." He said gesturing to the now empty couch. I took it gratefully ,glad for a soft surface to sleep on for once. I drifted off into sinister nightmares.

~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.5K 469 15
"I am not from a race that your knowledge knows of." Everyone shared confused glances. "It couldn't be." Balin spoke, slightly standing up. ~ You, Te...
18.5K 595 26
Bouvardia Delphini Baggins is a hobbit of the Shire who has failed to be as respectable as her uncle is since she was first found. Now she spends her...
71.9K 1.7K 52
Talia Rue Ashenstone had known Thorin Oakenshield all of her life. From running around the halls of Erebor in their youth to running into battle, the...
21.7K 659 31
🥇#1 in Thorin 4/10/2024 The reader joins the company on the quest to reclaim the dwarven homeland of Erebor. It becomes much more problematic than...