Out of the Storm - COMPLETE

By jbmcgee

THEO There's an eerie calm before the storm, And my best friend is in the direct path of the hit. I have to p... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Epilogue
Acknowledgements

Chapter 30

72 4 0
By jbmcgee

Jules

WHEN WE'RE IN the car, a voice comes over the speakers to alert us the doors are closing. I want to run, I want to escape, but his grip on my arm tightens. "Don't even think about it." He hisses, spit spraying my ear. People start to look at us, at me, concern washing over their faces. Lips are on my ear. The hand that had been grasping my arm, a little too tightly, makes its way down to my side and pulls me into his chest. It's not hard as steel like Theo's. Funny how that's the only chest I want to be pulled into now. How did that manage to happen in the course of a day? Theo. He has no clue I'm in trouble, and I have no way to tell him. And if we've been outed, is he in danger too? "Jules...smile. Look like you're enjoying this. Look like I'm your fiancé."

Shit. Fuck. Shit.

He pulls my hand up to his lips to kiss it, then turns it around to face me. "Where the fuck is your ring?"

I swallow, still unable to form words.

He shakes his head. "You're screwing him. You really are, aren't you?"

Biting my bottom lip, I refuse to look away. He'll know that I'm guilty if I do that. But then again, I'm sure my silence is just as much a giveaway as my body language. Can I lie to him? "I was worried about getting mugged on the way over here. I put it in my purse."

"That's a question I couldn't wait to ask you. Why you took the subway. Were you hoping it'd make it harder for me to track you?"

"He told me to take the subway. I was simply following his orders."

"So, you're not screwing him?"

My heart is beating out of my chest. The train stops, and the force pushes me into his chest again. His hand slides down to my ass. He squeezes it, tight. Too tight. "Answer me."

"No."

He leans into my ear, brushing my hair back. "You're fucking lying to me, Jules. Try again. Are you sleeping with him?"

Sleeping and screwing are two different things. I'd love to sleep with Theo, but I've not had the chance. "I'm not lying. I'm not sleeping with him." I raise my chin. This time, I lean into his ear. "But I'm going to only say this once. I'm not afraid of you. You need to let me go before I make a scene."

He releases me, then grabs his stomach, laughing. I hadn't noticed the stench of alcohol before. Maybe because I really was scared, and I am not anymore. Maybe because the guy who just got off had an extreme case of body odor, and between that and this situation, it was all I could do not to puke. But he's clearly been drinking. I'm not sure what's so funny, either. But then again, when he's drunk, he has more mood changes than a girl on the rag.

Crossing my arms, I jut my chest out. "What's so funny?"

His eyes become small slits, and he takes a step, closing any distance between us. "You listen to me, and you listen good. You don't call the shots. You don't tell me what you're going to do and what you're not going to do."

That pit I had in my stomach before I left Theo's is growing. Something is so not right. "If you make a scene on this subway, rest assured, there are plenty of people in place to finish what I've started."

It takes everything in me to keep my eyes from bugging out of my damn head. "Finish what, Charlie?"

He opens his mouth to speak, but I shut him up by putting a finger over his mouth, a smile spreading across my face. "By having hits put on me by your posse, or by having me framed for whatever the hell money laundering you've been doing for only fuck knows how long?"

This time, it's his eyes that give away everything. Well, that and his smile. It vanishes. "Both, Jules. Both."

I laugh because I can't let him know how terrified I am. But I also do it to keep from crying. It's nervous, delirious, and frantic all at once. "I said earlier I'm not scared of you. But I'm also not afraid of them. You're going to let me off this subway without a fight. I'm going to go establish the multi-million dollar account I secured today, and you can go fuck yourself." Reaching into my bag, I run my hand around the bottom until the metal brushes against my fingertips. But there's something else inside I didn't put there. Furrowing my brows, I run my hand along it. Theo. He must have put his gun in my bag at some point. But I don't know how to use it. Why would he have done that? Why wouldn't he have told me? How dangerous is it for me to be carrying it in my bag like that? I just want to get to a safe place and cuss him out. But then again, if someone tries to take me, they aren't going to know I don't know how to use it. They'll just see me with it. Stay focused. Releasing it before I undo the safety—he does have the safety on it, right? Shit. Releasing it, I fumble for the ring, then shove it in Charlie's chest. "I don't need this anymore."

For the first time ever, I think I've rendered his cocky ass speechless. He stares down at it, then back at me, and back down again. I shove it a little harder into his chest. "Fucking take it."

"You can keep it. It was fake like you." His lips curve into a devious smile. "I was never going to marry you anyway."

I know he's lying. I've had the ring appraised. It's worth twenty thousand. Considering he won a million, and he's made only God knows how much at this business, he could have afforded so much more, so it's almost an insult that he was so cheap with it. But I never cared. I'm not materialistic. If the right guy gave me a toy ring from one of those machines in the grocery store, I'd be elated. But Charlie? He's not the right guy. I'm just ashamed it took me so long to figure it out. What I don't get is why he wants me to keep it if it's worth so much. Twenty grand is still twenty grand. That's a hell of a lot of money. "So, you wouldn't care if I tossed it out in the middle of the street when I get off here? Or maybe handed it to a homeless person so they could go pawn it for twenty thousand?"

He looks at me like I'm crazy. "I don't know why you'd want to give someone false hope. It's not worth that."

"I know you're lying. You are so good at it, though. I have to give you props for that."

He shakes his head. "Whatever, Jules."

Slipping it back on my finger so he'll have a damn hard time taking it from me, I grin, which I think only further pisses him off. "I had it appraised, Charlie. I had to in order to insure it."

Then, it's like realization hits him like a wrecking ball taking down a skyscraper. "Son of a fucking bitch."

"Not sure what happened, but whatever it was, it sure sucks to be you. How does this feel?" I ask as the doors open. I start to walk backward, glancing over my shoulder and looking back at him. When I'm at the doors, I quickly turn and step down. "Because I'm thinking you thought you'd given me a fake version of your grandmother's ring, but I think this is really hers. "Looks like I have a little bargaining chip."

He steps off, lunges toward me, but I hop to the side. "You let me leave, or so help me, I'm going to scream like you're killing me, and this will not end well for you," I say, reaching into my bag and holding the gun Theo gave me. I hate that it's giving me some kind of strange courage even while freaking me the heck out.

He opens his mouth, but I shake my head. "Goodbye, Charlie." With that, I turn and walk away, constantly looking over both shoulders and my front and back. Reaching into my bag, I pull my phone and dial the number I added to speed dial last night.

It rings twice before a deep, velvety voice answers. "Special Agent Martin speaking."

"Where can we meet? Is your offer still good?"

"Yeah. Meet me at the diner on 5th and Pembroke. I can be there in thirty minutes."

"That's about what it will take for me to get there."

"Make sure you—"

"Yeah, yeah." I roll my eyes. "Make sure I'm not followed."

"You're not great at self-defense or watching your surroundings, so even if you know, do a better job this time than you did last night." He pauses. "And for the love of all that's fucking holy, please don't try to make small talk with potential perps."

My lips curve into a smile thinking of Theo, but then I'm interrupted by basically being taken and jerked around by him and Charlie. He's right.

"Fine. Let me go so I can watch my front, back, and sides, blah, blah, blah."

He chuckles. "At least you're trying, I suppose."

"Yeah. My life sucks right now, but I'd like to keep living it. Outside of prison preferably."

"Right. I need to finish some things. I'll see you soon, Ms. Hemingway."

When I hang up, I immediately dial Theo's number. He is going to be worried if I don't check in, but I can't tell him what I'm doing. This is for both of us. There's no way I can allow him to put himself in the middle of whatever Charlie's doing, and I just don't think his plan is strong enough. If that's the best he has, we're both screwed. And I certainly don't have anything any better. This is the only option I see, the only way to make sure I don't get locked up in a federal prison for the rest of my life for something I didn't do. Oh, and I'm concerned if I continue to let Theo do this, if I put that account in his name, or for fuck's sake, in his innocent nephew's name, we're both going to have our hands dirty in this. But without the FBI, we're not going to have any immunity. There's just no way I can do that.

When I approach our building, instead of going inside, I head to my car. Theo's phone rings and rings. He's not answering. Why would he not answer me? My mind immediately goes to all the horrible places and ideas. If Charlie was waiting on me, what if he had someone waiting for Theo once I left? Hanging up, I press send again. This time, he answers on the second ring. "I'm sorry," he says.

Breathing out a sigh of relief at the sound of his rich voice, my brows furrow. Why is he apologizing to me? Shouldn't I be the one doing that? "Why?"

"For not answering the first time. I actually do have a real job that requires me to communicate with people via phone. I've not gotten any work done in the past twenty-four hours. I was returning some calls."

Yeah. Because of me he's not gotten anything done. Because of me his life is turned upside down. "I'm sorry."

"Why?" he asks, and I swear if I could hear a smile, I'd say I just did. Something about the way he asked that. It was playful laced with sexy.

My stomach flips. Pulling my keys from my bag, I press the unlock button. "It's my fault you've not been able to work."

"No, it's Marco's fault."

I forgot about Marco and how he fit into all this. The few times I've met him he seemed like a nice enough guy. "I wanted to let you know I made it back to the office, but I have to run an errand, so I won't be around."

"Where to?"

Ugh. Lying to Charlie was easy, it didn't hurt, and it didn't even bother me. This, though. This feels so wrong. "Just a bunch of boring places. The bank, drop off dry cleaning, etc."

"Jules."

"Yeah?"

"Try again." Opening my door, I slide into my seat and press the lock button as I glance over my shoulder to make sure there isn't a boogey man in my backseat. "You're supposed to be going to the office to establish my account. You're supposed to be getting back to work so Charlie doesn't suspect anything. This doesn't make sense."

"I've already seen Charlie." If I tell him about how all that went down, I fear Theo may try to kill him. So, I hope he doesn't ask about that.

"Really? How did that go?"

"Better than I expected." Truth. I can't believe I actually won that little battle. But nonetheless, I'm scared shitless. How I wish I could tell Theo that.

"He didn't suspect anything?" Why must he keep prodding?

"I don't think so." Something about that statement seems like less of a lie. Maybe because of the think I threw in there. But no matter how it's phrased unless it's a yes, it's a lie. A boldfaced lie. And if Theo had a clue, I have no idea what he'd do because I don't know him well enough. I just know enough to know he protects the ones he loves. No, not me. Because he doesn't love me. And I don't love him. It's too soon. But Marco. I'm not sure what he'd do for Marco. And I know he does care about me. So maybe I'd have some impact on his emotional reaction.

"I'm going to come in and work the rest of the day from the office. I'm actually already on my way."

"That's the rumbling thunder I've been hearing coming and going from your end of the phone, then?"

He chuckles. "That's Maggie."

"Maggie?" My heart sinks a little bit. And twists. And loops. And fuck that hurts.

"Relax. My car. I call her Maggie."

For some reason, I didn't even realize I was holding my breath until I released it into the phone. "Whew."

"Were you jealous, agap?"

"I am not sure what I just felt, but I didn't like it. It wasn't pleasant."

He breathes into the phone. Neither of us says anything. The moment is so intimate, and I don't want to break it. Except I see Charlie coming. Putting the phone in my middle console compartment, so it is no longer visible, I start my car, then put it in reverse and back out as quickly as possible. He's going to see me. I'm already going to be late because of the time I was sitting in the parking garage pretending my life was normal with Theo.

Once I'm out on the street, the Bluetooth picks up. "Jules?"

"I'm here. Sorry. I had to turn the car on. It seemed like a good time." Liar.

"What are you doing after work?"

"Going home." Maybe I should tell Theo I broke up with Charlie because then he could come over. Or I could go over there. It's not a secret anymore. "Or I could come to your place."

"Both places are too risky." If I tell him about Charlie, he's going to lose his mind. He's going to go nuts. I can't do it even though I think I should. "What do you have in mind?"

"We could meet at a hotel. You'd need to remember to turn your phone off this time."

Shit. Shit. Shit. "Yeah, maybe. I am getting another call. I have to go. I'll call you later." Before he even says bye, I hang up. Charlie's clearly tracking me. The last thing I need is for him to know where I am right now, who I'm meeting with, and try to ruin my opportunity to take this deal. My future depends on it. But at the same time, I don't want to have to power on my phone if I need help quickly. I'll just shut it off before I go into the diner. But one thing is for sure. I can't think straight when I'm around Theo, and I certainly can't do what I'm about to do with him in my ear. It's just too hard.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

253 16 6
Nolan thought that he had already conquered his demons when he had fought Gabe and won. Now, though... Now he was starting to learn that it took more...
1.9K 208 28
OH MY GOD! There's nothing quite like being trapped with the one man you can't stand .. egotistic, pompous, and brutal. He was the epitome of opulen...
3K 61 14
In this enthralling romance, love and intimacy collide powerfully between two individuals who couldn't be more different. Like two sides of a coin, t...
1M 46K 53
Jules: A year ago, I had it all. The perfect job, the perfect life, and the perfect fiancΓ©. Christian Allister Lukov was the most insufferable, arrog...