The BlackWolf Effect (Book IV)

By Jacklyn_Reynolds

Timber and Henry are enjoying their lives as a young married couple in Fort Bragg when an unexpected pregnanc... More

Prologue
CHAPTER ONE - Fresh Kill
CHAPTER TWO - Henry's Grudge
CHAPTER THREE - The City Of Heiligdom
CHAPTER FOUR - Rise Of The Wolf Lord
CHAPTER FIVE - The First Day Of School
CHAPTER SIX - Battle In Noyo Harbor
CHAPTER SEVEN - Saving Henry
CHAPTER EIGHT - San Francisco
CHAPTER NINE - Domesticated Wolf
CHAPTER TEN - Bolt From The Blue
CHAPTER ELEVEN - Reconciliation
CHAPTER TWELVE - Timber's Choice
CHAPTER THIRTEEN - Thanksgiving
CHAPTER FOURTEEN - The Black Wolf
CHAPTER FIFTEEN - A Tearful Farewell
CHAPTER SIXTEEN - The Journey To Haven's Gate
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN - Welcome To Haven
CHAPTER NINETEEN - Blood Lust
CHAPTER TWENTY - The Merlin Emerald
CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE - Gunfire
CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO - Henry's Victoria
CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE - Military And Militia
CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR - Raaksha Sprite
CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE - Tug Of War
CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX - Carnival
CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN - Letters From Home
CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT - Reunited
CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE - Pudding Creek Beach
CHAPTER THIRTY - Hollow
CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE - Shattered Heart
CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO - The Vampire Lord
CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE - Hybrid Twins
CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR - She Couldn't Even Try
CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE - A Mother's Sacrifice
CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX - Chaos
CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN - Black Blood
CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT - Out In The Open
Epolouge

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN - Christmas Eve Ball

41 5 3
By Jacklyn_Reynolds

Before Timber realized what had happened, it was Christmas Eve. The whole city was glowing with lights and it reflected off the freshly fallen snow so beautifully it looked like a postcard. Timber ran to her bedroom and grabbed her digital camera and opened the window to take a photo to send to Aunt Grace and Xianna. When she had the image, she closed the window and set her camera beside her Christmas tree. It had nothing under it yet but there were over a dozen gifts just for Renegade hiding in Timber's closet all from friends and several members of Timber's side of the family in Louisiana and Tennessee. There was also a gift from Henry's brother, Charles, and his family.

Timber had been quite surprised by the snow on the first day. She had asked Henry about it because to her, it didn't make sense. They were in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. Henry had explained that it was a magical snow. Lord Frost and the other Highers had enchanted the top of the protective barrier to snow during the winter. They didn't control the weather so if they were hit with extra cold rain and magical snow, the island would turn into a bit of a slushy mess but it had not happened yet, so Timber was content to enjoy the snow.

Timber had taken Renegade out in a wool lined basket and completed her Christmas shopping in one afternoon. The shops in Heiligdom had a surprisingly large selection of unique and handmade gifts and they were all lined along the city square. It was a thrilling experience to be shopping for Christmas gifts while it was snowing but that was over and all of her packages were mailed out the week before so the only thing that concerned Timber at the moment was Christmas Eve preparations.

"Timber?" called Henry from Renegade's room.

"Coming," said Timber. She closed the window and went to help Henry. "What's wrong?"

"Something is wrong with Renegade," said Henry. "He's really tense and he's not moving!"

"Oh, he's fine!" said Timber happily. Henry looked outraged for a moment. "He's trying to Turn," Timber added quickly, seeing Henry's face. It relaxed. "Just watch."

Renegade blinked and Henry and Timber saw hazel eyes, exactly identical in color to Henry's. He held that color for only a second before they turned ice blue again. Henry picked Renegade up and held him to his face.

"I'm so proud of you, Son!" Renegade responded by licking Henry's cheek continuously. "Trying to Turn a week after fully opening his eyes. That's amazing!"

Timber took a picture, smiled, and said, "Everyone will love this. Come on. We have to start getting ready for Christmas dinner. Do we host all the Highers every Christmas?"

"Yes. This was the original Sanctuary. It's a tradition. It's also traditional for Lords and Ladies to dance first before the dance floor opens up."

"So just us then?"

"Usually it's Lord Frost as he is the oldest Higher and Aiyanna accompanies him. Then Lord Avanti and Jaci. Before the war, Lord Moffett and the other Highers would dance but they're dead so the opening dances will take less time than they used to. There are also the Elf Lords, Fairy Lords, Dwarf Lords, and Goblin Lords, though they rarely attend. Not that anyone minds. Goblins have a reputation for being short-tempered and rude."

"I didn't know there were so many Lords," said Timber.

"Only ones with a large population," said Henry, "or so I've been told. So, if I were you, I would choose a song for us to dance to in that rather large collection of yours."

"Are you alright with a country song?" asked Timber and Henry raised his eyebrow.

"You know I only tolerate that music for your sake," said Henry with a roll of his eyes, "but I think I know what song you have in mind. Alright, we'll do a country swing dance but only because dancing to Metallica or AC/DC on Christmas Eve doesn't seem very appropriate." Then he grinned. "You just like it when I lift you over my head and toss you around."

"Yep!" said Timber gleefully. "I like to show off your muscles. It's also a bit like flying when you toss me. It's fun. If you would prefer, we could do something more contemporary."

"You pick whatever song you want and we can blend together both styles of dance," suggested Henry.

"Josh Turner it is. Alright. I'm going to go get ready."

"We don't have three hours," warned Henry playfully.

"I only need two," teased Timber, and she hurried away.

Truthfully, Timber only needed an hour and twenty minutes if she did her hair. She undressed from her day clothes and covered herself with her silk robe before starting on her hair. She got out her hot rollers and turned them on. She prepped her face and then put the rollers into her hair. Then she started on her makeup. She knew from experience that her eyes looked good with light grey. She did her make-up the way Emily had taught her and by the time she was finished, it was time to take her hair down. Her light brown fell in voluminous waves over her shoulders. She put her silver jewelry on, stepped into her blush chiffon ball gown, and slipped her feet into her low nude heels that were surprisingly comfortable. To finish her look, Timber added the stunning tiara she was expected to wear and made sure it would not fall out of place.

When she came out of the master suite, Henry, who had dressed in Renegade's room, stared in awe. He was looking at her the same way he did on their wedding day and it made Timber turn so red, it showed through her makeup.

"You look stunning," he said breathlessly.

"So do you!"

Timber stared in romantic fascination. He looked to Timber like a prince right out of a fairytale book. His black tunic jacket was adorned with gold buttons detailed with the Highers' sun symbol, aiguillettes, and epaulets. On his chest were his medals from combat and several missions he had run. They were polished and gleaming. Timber not seen him in his uniform since their wedding. She walked up to him and ran her hands down the arms of his sleeves. Henry hardened his triceps and Timber grinned and shivered.

"Later," said Henry. "I know you're just as ready to get me out of this uniform as I am to get you out of that dress. Come on, Louise is eager to have Renegade for the evening. We're supposed to drop him off at the daycare."

"I'm so happy Louise and Renegade get along so well," said Timber. "I guess they would. She is kind of like his grandmother in a way. Renegade, Honey, it's time to go and see Louise!"

Renegade came running clumsily out from under the dining table and into his mother's arms. She kissed him and carried him out of their suite with Henry beside them. They walked down the stairs to the first floor and went to a large room behind the Great Hall. Rather than a full door, there was a half door with the bottom half closed and latched securely and the upper half wide open.

Louise was there with four other infants and tiny children. Three other adults were in the colorful room to watch over the other kids that looked as old as three or four. There were jungle animals painted on the walls, shelves with a good selection of children's books, small desks with craft supplies, toys, a small jungle gym, a playhouse, and a little slide. The floor was covered with colorful foam padding. On the opposite side was a row of cabinets with a sink and a visible first aid kit.

"Welcome to the Ardith Nursery," said Louise.

"Ardith?" asked Timber, looking at Henry for an explanation.

"Ardith was Lord Frost's mother," said Henry.

"From what little we know, this is the one place Lord Frost has to honor her memory and her love for children," said Louise. "I can take Renegade now so you can enjoy the party."

"He's pad training right now," said Timber, stalling for time. "Do you have any? Should I run home and get some?"

"We got some in yesterday morning," said Louise gently. "You'll see we already have it laid out for him as well as a bowl of water and we have goat milk in a bottle for him in the cooler if he gets hungry."

"You don't need anything else?" inquired Timber.

"Just Renegade," smiled Louise.

"It's alright Timber," said Henry. "He'll be alright in here. Louise will take good care of him."

Timber paused, clutching her son as if terrified if she let him go she would never see him again. She looked at Henry then Louise and sighed.

"Alright," she said. "Mommy and Daddy will come back for you later. Be good, Renegade. We love you."

Renegade was handed to Louise and Timber and Henry watched as the small puppy eagerly sniffed around his new surroundings, then began investigating a small boy with tiny brown wings who looked to be almost a year old.

"Come on, Sweetheart, before he comes back to look for us," said Henry, nudging Timber toward the door.

"But can't I just -"

"No. I know you've never been away from him before but he'll be fine. He's with Louise," said Henry.

"You're right," said Timber.

Henry steered Timber down the corridor and around the corner that led to the side door into the Great Hall. Halfway there, Timber spun around and began walking back. Henry grabbed her lightly by the arm.

"Timber?"

"I can't see him and I can't smell him through the walls," she said. Her eyes were threatening to let tears fall. "I can't do this. I want my baby. He's only three weeks old. He can't be without me!"

"Timber! Timber! Relax." Henry held her tightly. "It's okay, Baby. Our son will be just fine. He has Louise and he is going to make friends to play with. You don't need to nurse him every three hours anymore just every four and you fed him right before we left. He'll be just fine for the couple of hours that we're gone."

"What if he misses me?"

"Look at me, Timber." Henry tilted her head up. "Renegade is your son. He's strong. He will miss you. He might even howl for a little bit. But imagine how happy he will be to see you when we pick him up."

"I'm sorry," said Timber, fanning her face with her hands. "I'm being irrational."

"You're being a mom and I love you for it." He kissed her head. "Come on, we're already late."

Timber let him lead her to the side door and he opened it for her. The Great Hall was so beautiful; she stopped in the doorway, temporarily blocking Henry from getting in. The Hall was lit by millions of Christmas lights dangling from the ceilings, thousands of feet of glittering garland lined the windows, and every table was illuminated by candles. There had been a temporary balcony installed to add extra room since there was a dance floor. The giant stone fireplace was roaring happily with a massive wreath hanging above the mantel. Behind the High Table, there were two Christmas trees, one in each corner, that were beautifully decorated with cream and gold to match the rest of the decor in the room.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" whispered Henry in Timber's ear.

"It's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. This happens every year?"

"Every Christmas Eve, yes," said Henry. "Tomorrow, we'll exchange gifts with friends. It's mostly for the kids. It's not this elaborate."

"I'm impressed," said Timber.

"It's more impressive if you're actually in the hall and not the doorway."

Timber blushed and stepped aside. She noticed the Highers from the German sector who had fought by their side in the war were sitting at the table on the other side of Queen Aiyanna. They took their seats at the High Table beside Jaci who was clearly trying to cover up her current state of illness and exhaustion with a thick layer of makeup but Timber could see that her brown eyes were emotionless and dull instead of bright and cheerful. It was the first time Timber had seen her since they arrived in Haven.

"Merry Christmas, Jaci," said Timber. "How are you feeling?"

"I wish I could say I felt better," said Jaci. Her voice sounded distant and strained and Timber felt bad for her. "It is pretty tonight so that's something. Are you going to dance tonight?"

"Yes," said Timber.

"Good. I am looking forward to it. You and Henry are wonderful dancers."

Before Timber could reply, Lord Frost got to his feet and the Great Hall fell quiet. He looked dazzling in his red and gold velvet robes. Timber was more surprised that he had left his long blonde hair down instead of pulling it back into its usual ponytail.

"Welcome to our annual Christmas Eve celebration," he said cheerfully. "It is an honor to see so many gathered here and I am pleased to welcome our guests from the other sectors who have traveled a great distance to be here with us tonight. As there are new members of our community this year, I would like to take the time and introduce them. First, Lord Kyne, who is the Higher in charge of the German Sector." Lord Kyne stood to his feet and bowed to polite applause before being seated. "Beside him are Lords O'Malley and Ornel." The two other men Timber had fought beside got to their feet and also bowed before sitting down.

"Many of you already know me and Lord Avanti," continued Lord Frost as he and Lord Avanti waved aside applause. "Also worthy of introduction is Queen Aiyanna and Jaci Halen." Aiyanna got to her feet with ease but Jaci struggled. They bowed and Jaci sat down carefully, trying to hide the pain she was in. The Merlin Emerald she always wore fell out of her dress and Timber was alarmed to see the large stone was black and cracked so badly it should have fallen apart.

"I would also like to formally introduce the newest members of the court, Lord Henry Santelli, and his wife, Lady Timber Santelli," said Lord Frost proudly. Timber and Henry got to their feet and bowed to polite applause and then sat down again, both happy that that part was over. "I would also like to introduce Lord Erolith and his wife, the Lady Gaelira."

Timber saw an Elvish couple stand. The woman was so beautiful, she made everyone around her radiant. Her body glowed, illuminating her in the dark. Timber could not take her eyes off of Lady Gaelira and did not hear the rest of the names of the others that Lord Frost introduced. She had never seen anyone like her before. Timber's attention was pulled away when Henry rested his hand on her lap.

"It's almost time for dinner," he said and Timber blinked at him. "It's alright," he added. "Everyone stares the first time they see her. You weren't the only one."

"Before we begin our feast, I would like to take this time to remind everyone why we are here," said Lord Frost. He called up a man Timber had not seen before. He was dressed well with grey hair and round glasses.

"This evening we are gathered together, not only to enjoy the feast and the dancing but to celebrate the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ. Tonight I read from the book of Luke verses two through sixteen. 'And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be taxed. (And this taxing was first made when Cyrenius was governor of Syria.) And all went to be taxed, every one into his own city. And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judaea, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem; (because he was of the house and lineage of David:)To be taxed with Mary his espoused wife, being great with child.

"'And so it was, that, while they were there, the days were accomplished that she should be delivered. And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn. And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid. And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.

"'And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men. And it came to pass, as the angels were gone away from them into heaven, the shepherds said one to another, Let us now go even unto Bethlehem, and see this thing which is come to pass, which the Lord hath made known unto us. And they came with haste and found Mary, and Joseph, and the babe lying in a manger.' Before we eat, let us pray the Lord's Prayer."

Timber closed her eyes and bowed her head and recited with the entire Hall.

"Our Father, which art in heaven, hallowed be thy Name. Thy Kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive them that trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, the power, and the glory, forever and ever. Amen."

The preacher took his seat and the Great Hall was quiet for a moment after a few last "Amens" flowed through the Hall. Timber was wondering what to do when Henry said, "Do you want turkey or ham?"

"What?"

"Look at your menu," said Henry. Timber was surprised to see a menu in front of her though she hadn't really been paying attention to her place setting. "Just run your finger over the one you want."

"No waiters?"

"Just wait and see," said Henry. "It's rare the Highers use their magic for nonpractical uses or self-defense. Christmas is the exception."

Timber ran her finger over the selection of honey-glazed ham, applesauce, candied yams, green bean casserole, and a dinner roll. She waited for only a moment when the middle of the ceiling was enveloped in bright white light. Hundreds of small sleighs with miniature reindeer appeared and flew in all directions. The small Santas that drove each sleigh threw down elaborately wrapped cream-colored packages wrapped in gold bows that landed directly in front of every person in the hall where a plate would normally be and grew to fit the space between the silverware. Timber reached for hers but Henry stopped her and told her to wait. After everyone had a box, the boxes melted away in a cascade of gold glittering light and revealed a beautifully decorated plate full of the food that Timber had ordered.

"This is incredible," said Timber breathlessly.

It did not take long for people to begin eating. Christmas music played softly in the background and Timber found herself completely relaxed as she looked around the Great Hall. It was more crowded than it was during Sunday dinners. Everyone in Heiligdom seemed to be seated on the main floor or up in the balcony. Everyone but the centaurs (they could not sit in chairs and needed a higher table) were mixed together and enjoying each other's company. There were elves and fairies conversing with werewolves and berserkers, vampires and dwarves laughing with humans and mermaids who had come out of the lake just for the night, and pixies and nymphs were sharing stories with harpies and minotaurs. No one was aggressive or threatening. Everyone was smiling and having a wonderful time.

"Where are the older children?" asked Timber.

"They are out at the school gym having their annual Christmas Eve party," said Henry. "It's not as elaborate as this, but for a kid, it's pretty amazing. How is your ham?"

"As good as Aunt Grace's," said Timber. "I got a postcard from her today. She's with Emily and her fiancé in San Francisco. They miss us but they're having a good time."

"I'm glad," said Henry. "Dresden sent me a photo of Xianna's first ultrasound. I was going to tell you tomorrow but I can't wait. It's a girl!"

"Oh my goodness, that's amazing! I'll have to knit her a pink blanket! Oh, can you imagine? Our son and Xianna's daughter getting married?"

"When was this decided?" asked Henry fighting to hide the grin forming on his lips.

"We were thirteen. Of course, we won't take it seriously, but it's fun to imagine all the same. I can't believe how amazing this is," said Timber, looking around. "No one protested about the prayer."

"You'll be hard-pressed to find a nonbeliever in Haven," said Henry. "We're all rather proud of the fact that we host the most condensed population of Believers in the world. Lord Frost had to expand the Church a hundred years ago. When you're ready, we'll take Renegade to his first Sunday service."

A tap on glass brought everyone's attention to the High Table and Lord Frost. He got to his feet.

"Now that our delicious dinner has been devoured, I would like to remind you that dessert will be brought out in half an hour and you may help yourself. There is a new item on our dessert buffet this year. Lady Timber has been kind enough to share her recipe for her caramel cream cake with pecan-pie filling in between the cake layers." There was enormous applause but it settled down when Lord Frost held up his hand. "Now, I do believe that it is time to begin the festivities. Your Majesty, would you care to join me on the dance floor?"

"I would be delighted," replied Queen Aiyanna.

"You're going to like this," whispered Henry to Timber. "It's beautiful."

Henry had not been lying. They danced gracefully together but Aiyanna's wings lit up the room with beautiful gold lights in amazing patterns. Lord Frost and Aiyanna combined their own kinds of magic and a glistening ice swan formed and flew away towards the ceiling. Just before it would have crashed, it turned into a light flurry of snow and fell lightly to the floor as they finished their waltz.

The Great Hall exploded into cheers and they bowed and took their seats. Jaci got to her feet and walked stiffly to the dance floor for her dance with Lord Avanti. He seemed concerned but Jaci nodded and they danced. It was slow and untheatrical and Timber could see Lord Avanti holding Jaci upright but she didn't think anyone else noticed. She leaned over to Henry.

"She's really not well," she whispered. "He's supporting her."

"It must be connected to the Emerald," Henry replied quietly. "I've never seen her like this. The others won't worry though."

"What do you mean?"

"The only ones who know about the Merlin Emerald are sitting at this table," said Henry. "She is connected to it. It must be hurting her every time it cracks."

The music ended and the crowd cheered politely. Jaci bowed and struggled back to her seat. She sat down and sighed.

"Jaci?" said Timber lightly.

"Don't worry," said Jaci with a fake smile. "I'm going to go to bed after I have some pie."

"I can bring you a piece," said Timber.

"Thank you. It's your turn to dance."

Timber turned red and took Henry by the hand. He led her to the dance floor and she smiled at him as her favorite song began playing. Henry and Timber moved as one around the floor. All Timber could see was the man she loved so deeply. She could see his eyes flaming and it made her heart race. He grabbed her waist and lifted her over his head. She held her gown in place with her ankles as her feet pointed to the ceiling. She swung her body down, wrapping her legs around his waist for a second then she was swung to his right and left sides before she put her feet on the floor and he dipped her low. They let each other go and flipped side by side and then Timber took a running start, wrapped one leg over his shoulder, the other around his waist, and leaned over. Timber could see in his eyes that he was enjoying himself. His ears could hear her pounding heart. Henry grabbed her and she flipped over his head and Timber landed gracefully on her feet. Timber was high with joy as Henry tossed her around, and she flipped and spun. She had to force herself to remember to breathe as they two-stepped across the dance floor. Henry tossed her so high she spun four times as her body was parallel to the floor before Henry caught her and positioned her body upright. Timber landed on her feet and beamed up at Henry as the song ended. The Great Hall broke into enormous applause and cheers and Timber and Henry bowed before going back to their seats at the High Table.

After the other Lords and Ladies finished their dances, an enormous table full of pies, cakes, puddings, ice creams, and cookies all surrounded by garland, scattered ornaments, and peppermint candies, and bouquets of white poinsettias appeared against the side of the room. Timber followed the crowd and stood patiently in line. When it was her turn, she grabbed three plates, three forks and ignored the odd looks she was getting. She took a slice of pumpkin pie for Henry, a slice of apple for herself, and a slice of dark chocolate cake for Jaci. She made her way to the table and passed out the plates of pie and cake.

After everyone had finished getting their dessert, the dance floor was opened for traditional dances done by every race in Haven. Henry led the pack of werewolves in a traditional dance that reminded Timber of a Cherokee pow wow. It ended with the pack letting out a long howl that Timber couldn't help but join. Then came the elves. Their dance was graceful and light as they twirled and glided over the floor. They were followed by the small group of vampires who were joined by Sebastian. Their dance seemed angry and their movements were stiff but it was thrilling to watch. When the berserkers took the floor, Timber could feel the ground vibrate under her feet. Timber was very excited and thrilled to watch the centaurs dance. The rhythm of their hooves was similar to a heartbeat.

When the traditional dances were finished, the dance floor was opened to those who wanted to dance freely. Eventually, the floor was crowded. Even the Highers danced a few dances. Timber saw a small girl who should have been in the school walk over to the table.

"Excuse me," she said. "I was wondering if I could dance with Lord Henry."

Henry smiled and bowed to the child and allowed himself to be steered back onto the floor. Timber watched him lift her onto his feet and rotate slowly while holding her hands. She kept her eyes on her feet, making sure they didn't fall off of Henry's feet. When the song ended, she gave Henry a hug and hurried over to her waiting mother, who smiled a thank you to Henry. He nodded and motioned for Timber to join him.

She smiled at Jaci who was getting up to leave and joined her husband on the dance floor. For the next half hour, they danced happily together. It wasn't until the watch on her wrist beeped that either of them knew what time it was. They said goodnight to Lord Frost, who was dancing with Lady Gaelira. He nodded to them and they left the Hall.

"What a party," said Timber, stopping to take her heels off. "This happens every year?"

"Every year," said Henry. "The food is different, the color theme is different, and the Lord's dance routines are different. Other than that, it's the same."

"Did it look like the Elf Lord and his wife were trying to compete with us?" asked Timber as she stood up and continued walking.

"The opening dances aren't supposed to be competitive but they are," said Henry with a smile. "It's usually traditional dances. I think you just broke the mold. Country swing has never been done on Christmas Eve that I know of. I'm interested to see what they all come up with next year. Your skill, grace, and agility are going to be difficult to beat."

"Well, considering you're strong enough to lift me with one arm, I don't think anyone will be able to do what we can do. Not easily, anyway. Remember, I was taught by Aunt Grace, and my agility comes from my wolf. Anyway, I think Lord Frost and Aiyanna win, hands down," said Timber. "I loved the swan. I also liked the werewolf dance. Did you always lead?"

"I participated every year until I took over the role of Alpha when I was sixteen. I fought for my role in the pack and I won. That's where the small scar above my eyelid came from. Lord Frost lets things like that play out on their own. We're part human but we're driven by the wolf and sometimes we behave like animals."

"I completely understand," said Timber.

Timber and Henry walked into the daycare and were met with a happy bark. Renegade ran toward them and jumped right into Timber's arms. Timber hugged him and felt something on the side of his ear. Renegade had a small cut that had been cleaned and dressed in antibiotic cream.

"What happened?" demanded Timber.

"Renegade had an altercation with an older child," said Louise. "It was only partly his fault, but I couldn't punish him. His new friend Archeius, the little Nephilim, wandered into the section where the older kids were playing. Renegade followed him closely. One of the kid's older brothers was here dropping him off. Archeius' wings were accidentally stepped on when he rolled onto his side and he cried out. The older boy didn't move but he hit the poor child with a block for yelling. Renegade got to the child first before one of us could and bit the boy. The boy threw him off and he hit his head on the table. I tried to pull him away but he snapped at me and stood in front of Archeius until we took the older boy out of the room. He was given to his mother and Renegade would not allow us to touch him until we saw to his friend and calmed him down. Renegade is fine. He's just like his father," she added proudly. "Henry would defend others at risk to himself too."

"Timber is the same way," said Henry. "How bad was the bite?"

"Just a little blood but not enough to be worried. Renegade didn't bite down hard. He's only three weeks old and barely did any damage. He's not in trouble."

"Blood? Renegade doesn't have any teeth yet," said Henry.

"Yes, he does," said Timber, looking inside Renegade's mouth. "Look. There's one of his fangs. It must have just come out because it wasn't there this morning."

"He's growing up so fast. Thank you for watching him," said Henry, "and I apologize for the ruckus my son caused."

"It's alright, Henry," said Louise. "I'll see you for Sunday dinner."

"See you then," said Timber.

She hugged her son and walked back home with her small family thankful that they had a wonderful place where people cared for her son as much as her friends and family did.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

432 3 28
The Cullen's are back! Edward didn't die all things are well or is it? Join Samantha and Carlisle as they battle through a rising new born army along...
Sophie. By Angelika

Teen Fiction

1K 47 22
A teenage girl with a very hard past who is trying to fit in, in her new school and the place she moved to with her mum. Unfortunately, Sophie meets...
420 23 29
5 years have past and Tessa or Aldusa is now building her empire along side her family. After getting restless Aldusa takes a leave of absents from t...
1.1K 44 19
growing up the daughter of the vampire elder Anastasia is stuck having to deal with bullying. When she runs into a boy in the same year as her, her w...